Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i think one problem is that it is cheap to produce, incredibly versatile and nobody has found a viable alternative that can be scaled

Aluminum cans work great for things like soda and are infinitely recyclable. How much can it really save to put a drink in plastic over aluminum? That margin is what life on earth is worth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

We should be reusing the biosphere threads we already have instead of creating a bunch of new ones

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

There was also a cat 5 cyclone in the western pacific that slammed into Vanuatu. Its the earliest in the season cyclone of that magnitude ever recorded

lmao

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

kater posted:

I’ve been reading about the peaceful nukular explosion movement in the fifties and man. I feel like this does get taught in school there’s just no aha moment where you realize just how insane it is. Or maybe I’m thinking of comic books, this gets taught in comic books.
Chariot is mind blowing because … well lots of stuff but the ‘well we knew it served no purpose but we were interested in modeling the destruction of local food supply’ and then it gets cancelled because wind patterns wouldn’t gently caress up the land enough. only to truck in a bunch of radioactive dirt and run some tests anyways. cool

I feel like this was when they thought they could win a nuclear war if they just wanted it bad enough and were doing studies to prepare for whatever damage might happen from the Soviet second strike

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's right, you just need to know the winning move

A curious game. The only winning move is TO STRIKE FIRST AND ELIMINATE THE ENEMY! KILL! DESTROY!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gravid Topiary posted:

hi can you extend the graph right further i've got this concern

Concerns about 5 more loops not pictured are alarmist and unfounded

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I was with a climate researcher when trump won the election and he started crying on the spot and he explained that he just realized in a single moment that all his research was a waste of time.

If it took Trump getting elected to realize that they werent that bright to begin with

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

smoobles posted:

yeah tbh I completely bought into the belief that climate change was real, but its worst effects would be felt by people in 2100. which I guess is technically still true but the curve of fuckedness is much steeper than I thought and guys like me in their 30s will get to experience a whole lot of incomprehensible horrors!

This is me. I lost hope we'd fix anything fairly early, but I always believed the apocalypse would be a distant thing for other people

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Don't worry, things aren't that bad yet!

Its the hottest year in recorded history so far

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I doubt the sentient Venusians managed to truly sterilise their planet way back when, there might still be some simple life there adapted to some crazy conditions, extremophile poo poo

What if the purpose of sentient life is just terraforming for extremophiles? Maybe some greater intelligence really loves the little guys and wants to set up a few terrariums for them

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/09/europe/supervolcano-campi-flegrei-italy-earthquake-bradyseism-scn/index.html

quote:

‘Be prepared for all outcomes’: Inside the saga of a supervolcano that’s waking up

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

There will be no funding for the superfund sites

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

cow farts lol

Cow farts are only 2% of emissions. Its the cow belches you have to look out for

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

idk I'm way more worried about a cow farting on me tbqh

I fear belches because I kiss a lot of cows on the lips

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Any progress China makes is just going to be taken as tacit permission for the west to pollute that much more

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Good news! The cum crisis is a glimmer of hope on the horizon

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/global-decline-sperm-concentrations-linked-common-pesticides-rcna125164

quote:

Global decline in male fertility linked to common pesticides

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The survival of humanity is dependent on phytoplankton continuing to produce oxygen. When you jam CO2 into the atmosphere it buffers into the surface ocean. Faster CO2 loading rates buffer more of it in the surface ocean before it has time to disperse and whoopsie you get more ocean acidification. The rates that we're doing this and causing acidification have no geological correlate in history. None. It's truly novel :)

Last I checked studies a while ago they were predicting we'd see consequences of this (regional undersaturation where carbonate or aragonite can't form) starting in the 2030s.

This planet has ways to annihilate every last mammal and we're toying around with finding out how.

Cats and dogs hosed up bad by throwing their lot in with humans, feel bad for them

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

happy 1K+satan page :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up8Bcf_KBmw

we did it everyone, biosphere saved

At what point is the amount of energy that goes into running all those shredders, sorters, scoops, and the transportation for all of that just a waste over leaving the blades to rot and making concrete out of normal concrete things? This seems extremely performative

Dokapon Findom posted:

It sucks now! Remember how cheap corn used to be before they started putting it in gasoline?

Didnt they start putting corn in fuel as a way to use up all the excess corn from subsidies *because* the corn was so cheap, rather than just reduce the subsidies so less got grown?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Did mechanizing farming result in less productivity per input - like nitrogen or whatever - but vastly more land under cultivation and so vastly increased total output perhaps?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

THE TECHNOLOGY OF PEACE

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I thought most industrial farmers didnt actually want self propagating seeds because its more efficient to plant fresh each year with a seed strain tailored to forecasted growing conditions, as opposed to whatever grew best last year?

I mean yeah this sets up immensely dangerous single points of failure and makes the whole food chain even more reliant on continual non-renewable inputs, but I don't think non-self propagation is a nefarious scheme

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I love graphs that plot China, a nation of 1.4 billion people, against the US, a nation of 0.3 billion people, as though they were equivalent entities.

China has a little more than half the emissions per capita of the US, meaning once again and forevermore, USA #1 (at pollution)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

guys im upgrading from 16 mpg city to 22 so i think we got this climate trouble on lock.

Think of all the carbon credits you can sell to this guy

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

For every MPG you don’t do, I’m going to do three.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Im just spitballing, but what if we installed a giant heat pump for the whole earth? Maybe that would solve climate change?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Antarctic ecotourism is good for the environment

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mags posted:

maybe the penguins can export glacier ice

I paid extra to shoot the penguins, for the environment

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

...an organism that was apparently dead, was found in a 2000 year old geological stratum.

Professor Gast named that organism: Jenova

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

bedpan posted:

hmm, so if we could eliminate the bottom 90% of the population the top 10% could double their emissions?

I have some concerning news about who makes the goods necessary for the top 10% to enjoy their emissions

Don't worry though, we're making great strides in automation every day

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

can’t automate ecology sadly :(

We will literally die trying

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

CGI Stardust posted:

fear not, our best minds are on the case

https://builtin.com/robotics/robot-bees

Placing bees in direct competition with the profit motive

This is a Captain Planet villain origin story

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Getting a week's worth of rain in one hour bursts is probably really great for keeping the sewer systems clean, actually

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

To be clear, most of you will die. Not me though, I'm rich and well insulated from consequences

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Stereotype posted:

[Biosphere Collapse] im sorry that we destroyed the world, but the alternative was hamburger nightmares.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hamburger nightmares is doing real psychic damage to me right now

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I hate this.

Also, good news for our future galactic overlords: humanity is going to terraform Earth into a death world, so the remnants can be your elite enforcers for your ten thousand year star empire

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The fungus is the primary native life on Alpha Centuari and all the other species exist to tend to it until it can reach critical mass and achieve planet wide sapience, and then dies off back into somnolescence because the critical mass event kills most other life on the planet destroying the ecology the fungus needs to thrive. Basically the planet wide fungus network becomes intelligent just in time to realize its killed itself and it can't do anything about it, and then everything resets

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Big oil is racing to scale up carbon credits

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Reducing carbon emissions would crash the carbon credit economy. One day we're going to see a coal plant that does nothing but belch CO2 as part of a complicated carbon credit trading scheme that transfers billions from public coffers into private hands

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Stereotype posted:

and burn all that fuel moving all those bikes around? you must hate the planet

Bikes are naturally occuring and just appear fully formed. The only fuel involved is moving them around, so yeah this tracks. You are very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its more fuel efficient to leave my trash on the ground. I care about the planet.