Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Aw he'll yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiw6_JakZFc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Good morning climate change thread, guess what... I made another human! :)

But more on that later. Did you know there's a thing called a steam steriliser, a big plastic container that you fill with water and plastic baby bottles and then wack in the microwave for 5 minutes? And then after sterilising the baby bottles every single day, they go in the baby's mouth? I'm sure this has no downsides

:ohdear:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I don't understand why the balls aren't white

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

tuyop posted:

Just finished that Slime Mold Time Mold blog so far. what a pro-click

please ruin it for me if they’re somehow totally wrong and crazy

Please post the link so I can professionally click it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The Voice of Labor posted:

I like that I can forget about perry bible fellowship for a few years then catch up on all the strips I've missed in, like, 10 minutes

I for one am all caught up. And how did this one never get posted??

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Rime posted:

Probably because it pre-dates the existence of CSPAM.

I only went back about 10 comics :negative:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I have a lot more headspace to think about it after clear cutting all the useless stuff that was already taking up so much of it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Bafrack Obooma strikes again

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Only one piece of it needs to stay above water, just make a little hill, bing bong simple

That podium is basically a hill already!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, because it's all uncreative garbage.

don't sign ur posts

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Saw this at the Wellcome Collection in London and immediately thought of this thread (the exhibition has nothing to do with climate change, mind)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Stereotype posted:

someone contact the artist and have them put this on a shirt

Here he is https://twitter.com/davidshrigley

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And gave serious consideration to nuking the moon.

"Nuke The Moon"? You don't really believe that, do you?

/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I finally caught up with some of the content recommended by this thread.

I watched "Planet of the Humans" and it was good. It was very much like Bright Green Lies in content, but delivered in a much more compelling manner. I would still have liked more data, fewer anecdotes, fewer 'gotcha' questions, but it was good enough.

I also watched this about Abrupt climate change, it was fascinating and rather compelling. Also scary. I love the constant dunking on miami though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRs4kIthJ9k

And finally i watched this. Also very good! It gets a bit weirdly theoretical at points but otherwise is very compelling, and gives me the strongest sense that this was always inevitable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDWhjSUu8UY

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Rime posted:

Notable outcome: total death of the other thread as soon as COP kicked off. Flatlined. :rip:

I guess we found their... tipping point :smug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

mcbexx posted:

Found a ladybug crawling around in my bathtub the other day. Very normal for mid november.

It was trying to drown itself

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I want to see wild insects on there, but I suppose that undercuts the message of "wow that's not a lot of wild animals" by replacing it with "wow the planet is made of insects"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Speaking of fiction I watched These Final Hours on the recommendation of this thread and boy, it is incredibly This Thread

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Without giving a spoiler of more than the basic setup, many staple foods vanish because of a blight and the world does not take it seriously until it's way too late and the UK decides to respond by locking down most urban areas and then nuking them, in an effort to preserve the much more limited rural population in what will be an almost impossible to feed world.

I've been pondering this overnight and it occurs to me that this is wildly unrealistic, at least in today's world. The British government would never be capable of such pragmatic forward planning.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The COP runneth over

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Ah, this is awkward, so, like, this is already occurring just in a different form. But if I speak I will be in big trouble, big trouble, and I don't want to be in big trouble so really I prefer not to speak.

PM me and I'll post it and get in trouble for you

You can market that as a trouble offset

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

quote:

Under the Glasgow climate pact:

* Countries were asked to republish their climate action plans by the end of next year, with more ambitious emissions reduction targets for 2030

* There is an emphasis on the need for developed countries to increase the money they give to those already suffering the effects of climate change - beyond the current $100bn annual target

* The language about coal has been included for the first time ever in a global climate deal

* A pledge in a previous draft to "phase out" coal was instead watered down to a commitment to "phase down" coal

*dusts hands* it's done, the earth is saved, gj everyone

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah but it's a dry humidity

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

silicone thrills posted:

Take my house and me down into the ravine.

~I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
~

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

actionjackson posted:

best part of threads it the women who's only movie credit on IMDB is from threads as "woman urinating on herself"

That entry is really sad. The little bio says she dreamed of being an actress. And that was the only acting credit she ever achieved. Then she died. And now the Internet has immortalised her life in imdb in those facts. Imagine leaving that legacy.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Aren't flood waters some of the most disgusting possible waters to come into contact with?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

we created both of those problems so maybe we were just stupid in the first place

It turns out

Humans make you stupid

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

:suspense:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Father profit is what ferengi children call the grand nagus

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I am continually reminded of the TV show Years And Years (highly recommended for this thread btw) where one of the main characters meets someone who denies that the US nuke on China ever happened, despite the overwhelming evidence

e: even the soundtrack is very This Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl90ZByp4XY

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
you, stupid and doomer: domes

this woman, genius: TRIANGLES

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

is there a super straightforward, baby level data dashboard?

like I just want to see stuff like live line graphs of GHG emissions and expected temperature rise by 2050.

Goon project spotted. Someone buy https://collapse.lol/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Trabisnikof posted:

the IPCC reports are also a scale of scientific endeavor we've never done before, the fact its conclusions are as damning as they are in such a short span of time, while going against the ideological grain in fundamental ways, is quite amazing.

and honestly they bury the lede more than they even downplay the reality.

like random tidbids the ipcc reports say buried deep in there:

*there is absolutely no historical comparison to the speed and scale of societal transformation required to ensure our societies survive

*if we fail to transform our society so quickly and completely, our existing is unlikely to survive the stress

*the future of 2050 will be unrecognizable

*One of the most optimistic scenarios possible is that a massive near-turn heat wave kills a bunch of wealthy people and that scares the powerful into actually acting

*Another of the most optimistic scenarios is maybe we hit a 7-7-7 jackpot on volcanoes and delay things for 10-20 years

*Losing Miami in the next 20 years is an example of a believable outcome without that aforementioned complete societal transformation

Can you quote the bits of the report that say/imply this? Not that I doubt it, but I'd have no idea how to go about finding it myself, and I want the primary source so I can go around crack-pinging people with it like someone on a deranged shooting spree

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Rime posted:

Such dire conditions here, the patisserie was almost out of mango passionfruit croissants when I arrived. :(

itshappening.gif

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My advice for perfect rice is marrying someone from Hong Kong :smug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
30 minutes sounds like a long time to heat rice but the reality is it'll be done a lot quicker. The recipe only says 30 minutes because it doesn't want to spook Rime into dismissing the recipe outright and having takeout instead

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've switched to "clean rice" which is just as dirty but is better PR

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" I insist as I calmly enjoy a succulent corn cob

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

T-Paine posted:

Hey when the earth gets sick, Democrats make it feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Your teeth will outlast you anyway, why give them the satisfaction of running up the high score