Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Do you believe Blockchain system will play an important role in the Carbon Market? Adding transparency and legitimacy to it? Can @treedefi and their #NFTree(A NFT backed by a real life planted tree) system be the solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

The doomsday clock is like 20 Minutes after midnight if we're being real isn't it?

the doomsday clock people are massive libs and were convinced trump was going to start a nuclear war

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'll miss this thread.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Complications posted:

lol what? that's not what's being said

hey kids, we're gonna keep the infinite growth gravy train rolling for ourselves at the expense of all current and future civilizational functionality, but after we're all dead or completely out of power you'll have your chance to innovate your way to safety all on your own

setting the climate targets for 5 or 10 years in the future - for the past 50 years! - shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that the plan for climate change by the current generation of leaders is to keep the balls in the air just long enough for all of them to die naturally, having lived a life of abundance, joy, irresponsibility, hedonism, and nihilistic glee

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

is it a coincidence that the climate change goal proposed by whatever fossilized boomer is always set for a year that even they know is beyond their adrenochrome-extended lifespans?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"I've signed a climate change declaration for 2050," say a 78 year old multi-millionaire

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I don't let the details of a response to climate change bother me because if COVID has shown anything it is that our society is incapable of addressing even problems with relatively easy solutions.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

While Senators Manchin and Sinema are holding up real progress on the Democratic environmental and infrastructure bill, let's not gloss over a more stunning reality:

50 Republican Senators from the Gas Oil Petroleum party refuse to lift a finger to help the USA transition to a safer, sustainable energy and environmental policy, preferring the short-term Grand Old Profits for the Grand Old Polluters that fund their destructive anti-climate, anti-future, anti-science, anti-family, anti-life political positions.

The Republican party's climate cooking political position is a crime against humanity.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

let me guess this is one of the Editor's Pick comments that they force to the top of the list

haha, you nailed it

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

aviation fuel is still leaded

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

just throw all that poo poo in the ocean. we are really good at doing that already and if it is going to boil, who cares?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Lol. I still can't believe that the planners only expected to make the aquifers last 40 years from the start.

why make it last longer? I, the planner, am going to be dead in 40 years so why the hell make anything last a second longer?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Quit Lying to Yourself Real happiness starts with telling yourself the truth, even when it hurts.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lolling again that the same societies who are in the process catastrophically bungling the response to COVID are suppose to be able to address the far more difficult problem of climate change

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

lmao the aquifer is directly under the tanks

well where else would you put it?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

if climate change is inevitable then we need to burn more coal and extract more oil and gas, not less. not only will this be profitable in the short term, this will incentivize the people with the solutions to actually do something.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

RockyB posted:

quote:

It has two companion pieces – a 4.5-metre-high wooden figure on the main concourse at Glasgow Central station, cut from Scottish spruce, and a 3.5-metre-high, three-figure installation in gardens at Strathclyde University cut from reclaimed steel

hahahah, they cut down trees to make it all happen. unreal. I can think of no better "permanent reminder of Glasgow’s role as host of the Cop26 climate summit in November" than this

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

whats the problem? as long as the wood never burns or decomposes ever the statue is actually doing carbon storage.

because when you plant trees you get 100 years of carbon credit right up front. if someone else happens to cut those trees down before 100 years are up, welp. try voting harder

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

whats the problem? as long as the wood never burns or decomposes ever the statue is actually doing carbon storage.

also im a dumb drunk so you I am going to get ahead of this one and just say that you are right

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rime posted:

PFAS ‘forever chemicals’ constantly cycle through ground, air and water, study finds

Like making GBS threads into a fan, laughing, and having it hit you in the face.

the water cycle exists? what?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Acelerion posted:

I think I've posted this before but we are totally gonna do the aerosol/solar dimming thing and on the remote chance it works use the savings to burn more coal

yep. aerosol dimming and the other "one weird trick" technology fixes are going to be used to extend the life of fossil fuels. even if the technological fixes do nothing at all, they will still be issued carbon credits to sell to someone else.

"carbon neutral" is a fraud and a scam.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

when "carbon neutral" is discredited, this will be used to attack those trying to address climate change in the same way the notion of "the earth will be frozen in the year 2000" was used to attack the environmental movement in the 90s and 2000s

the answer, as always, will be more coal, more oil, and more gas

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

im pretty sure I am going to see the melting of 100% of the ice caps during my lifetime

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lol/lmao/lmbo that Belgium is going ahead with their plan to shutter all the existing nuclear power plants and replace them with brand new gas fired power plants

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Alobar posted:

what a really dumb loving move

it has been law in Belgium since 2003 to shutdown the nuclear plants but it is not until this year that the green party, who are now in government, have been able to make good on their promise to the voters to replace nuclear with natural gas and coal

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

Nuclear plants release few pollutants into the air, which have made them an option as nations around the world seek clean energy to meet climate change targets. However, their construction and demolition produce large amounts of greenhouse gases.

Opponents have for decades cited the challenges involved with processing long-lived radioactive waste to lobby against new plants. Climate activists also say that relying on nuclear power risks slowing the rollout of renewable energy sources.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

how the hell is anything I can do on a personal level going to outweigh a sovereign nation voluntarily closing an existing nuclear power infrastructure in favor of more natural gas natural gas and brown coal?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

blatman posted:

why eat bug burger when bean are right there

knowing someone is eating a bug burger makes me much more happy about my position than knowing someone is eating a bean burger

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ELTON JOHN posted:

yes there are so many plant proteins availabvle why are we trying to factory farm goddamn bugs

we are not. the point is to discredit climate change

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"well-intentioned environmental project" my rear end. they did it to dump a bunch of tires on the cheap. we still don't have a way to devulcanize tires and reuse them and people have been trying to get around the disposal cost for decades.

dumping stuff in the ocean means total removal from existence for essentially everyone. the ocean is our communal trash can and we love throwing stuff we can't get rid of elsewhere into it.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

guys i have a great idea. how about we shut down all of germany's nuclear plants and increase their reliance on an adversarial power for their energy needs. all because an earthquake and tsunami took out a japanese nuclear plant under circumstances that would never be replicated in germany

go go lignite! german coal for german powerplants! jobs! clean coal! bridge fuel!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

used tires can't be just tossed into a landfill like normal garbage because they will gradually make their way to the top and burst out of the ground. we have known this for decades and been trying to come up with a cheap way of disposing of used tires for the same amount of time. the current favorite dumping methods are to put the tires into huge piles and wait for a stray spark to start a tire fire or just throw the tires into an incinerator.

framing dumping tires into the ocean as "well intentioned" is really getting me mad

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

thanks obmaa

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

carjacking is in the news everyday now in nyc too

lots of kinkshaming about those carjackers I bet

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

hekaton posted:

what if it takes decades to spin on its axis, so forevermore in addition to having yearly warm/cold phases postapocalyptic society also has to deal with going from temperate to hellworld and back every hundred years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uny-UwwtD3c

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chevron has a bold plan to alleviate rural poverty with free oil

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

:biotruths:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

What a top line headline on that report

:allbuttons:

"Profit," "earnings," "revenue," etc. those are all words of the old orthodoxy. You don't need any of that poo poo anymore.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bridgefuel to nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Something that long ago snapped my brain like a dry twig is that while endlessly and limitlessly catastrophizing and handwringing about nuclear power and nuclear waste, people are silent on not just the damage fossil fuels do invisibly, but visibly.

I wish people who write about the "this is not a place of honor" paper consider similar programs for waste plastic, coal slurry, drilling mud, and waste oil.