Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Cross posted from the political cartoons thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Well I'm in South Louisiana in one of those dark parts of the wet bulb map. Just heard a forest fire started, can't remember that ever happening in the 30 years I've lived here. The smoke is pretty suffocating and I know it's not nearly as bad as the wildfire smoke was up north but it's jarring for sure. I've had about half my chickens die from heat stress despite my efforts to keep everything cool and ventilated.

I don't understand how some people can still deny what's happening before their own eyes but "the earth goes through natural cycles" is the resounding response from those around me. I'm just trying my best to get to the great lakes region before a mega storm wipes us out but most people seem committed to holding out even if they have the resources to move. What will bring the crack ping?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Zeta Taskforce posted:

If you have been in Louisiana for 30 years you will want to think long and hard about moving but if after that long and hard thought you decide it's the way to go, then do it now before the next big mega storm.

All of us need to be where we are part of a community and have laid down roots. When things get really bad you are better off having a support system in a less ideal place than being a stranger in a new place, even if it's better on paper. If you're living in a low lying area prone to flooding then move NOW but you can stay local for that. If you have connections to the great lakes region, then start looking for jobs and apartments now. If you don't have connections now, you can still move but do it sooner rather than later and then concentrate on finding your community there.

I'm finishing up my degree in the medical field first, about a year left on that and then I'll be able to get a job elsewhere. The area I'm in is pretty much sea level, my parents live nearby and have had their house destroyed twice now. The ocean isn't far and Louisiana has a big problem with erosion, sea level rise, flooding, saltwater infiltrating what was previously freshwater, and the oppressive combo of heat and humidity. I honestly cannot see a way I can stay for another 10-20 years, with age comes additional health issues that make it more difficult to survive those extremes. Community is important, I agree, but there will come a time when we need to cede land to the ocean and my familys land will certainly be among the first to go.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

an egg posted:

i wonder what animals are least vulnerable to microplastics and all the other poo poo (phthalates, pfas, etc)? presumably everything that lives in water is hosed, and so are things that eat a lot of things that live in water. anything that lives on prime agricultural land, likewise. carnivores presumably have it worse than herbivores because of bioaccumulation. what about desert invertebrates that never drink liquid water and only eat rotting plant matter a hundred miles from the nearest pollution source? will they inherit the earth?

Desert animals can only survive temperatures up to a point, plastic might affect them less but that's not the biggest issue that's facing the planet. Perhaps extremophiles living in volcano calderas?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

We actually had some wildfires in the swamps just last week. Burn ban went into effect. Though there is a separate problem locally with that since we have a serial arsonist at large.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Theoretically would an EMP or big enough solar flare be capable of slowing climate change at this point or is the train already off the tracks?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Dog Case posted:

Hey look another one

Cherry production is crazy, they use helicopters every time it rains to dry out the cherries. It's ridiculously expensive and I can't think of another crop that needs that sort of intensive care.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Scarabrae posted:

helicopters?

Yeah, they blow all the water off by flying at low altitude over the trees otherwise the cherries split. If 25% of the cherries split they just don't bother to pick any of them at all because it is no longer profitable. It's made worse by heat so cherries are probably a crop that will become scarce soonish.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

kater posted:

Cameron barely exists there’s like 400 people in the entire county their hope ain’t gonna help goku.

I live literally 20 miles inland of here currently and the neighbors came over yesterday complaining that their home insurance dropped them completely confused as to why. :iiam:

Hubbert posted:

what is the most biosphere collapse video game

Also, yes definitely Rimworld

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

Would be fascinating if blood donation centers started testing for pfas and microplastics in blood to get a wide swath of data.

Instead of getting away because my iron is always too low it would be like "sorry your plastic levels are just too high"

As someone who works in a blood bank they wouldn't do this unless forced to by the government, so probably never. The associated costs of testing for micro plastics are too high and it would result in the blood supply getting worse than it already is. Hell, plasma centers don't even care if you do meth as long as you aren't doing IV drugs.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Anyone who can should definitely donate though. Any sort of apheresis (platelet, plasma, or red blood cell) where your blood gets filtered removes some of the nasty stuff in your blood and you help your community so it's a win-win.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

The blood is filtered through a fine mesh and centrifuged to separate out the parts so the majority just gets stuck in the filter, but regardless, most of the time someone who needs a blood transfusion is in an emergency situation so it's an easy trade off to swap deadly blood loss for an extra dose of blood plastics or PFAS.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

donating blood in america helps the community yacht club alright

Not really the thread for it but yeah, for-profit healthcare sucks rear end. The plasma from plasma donation centers is used in industrial applications instead of for patients and the hospitals charge way too much for a transfusion so it's not used very effectively. It also sucks rear end though when we can't get an immediate match for someone who really needs it right away and we have to wait for a rare blood center to ship it in 3-5 days or just give them unmatched blood and hope they don't have massive systematic clotting.

More on topic for the thread, healthcare currently uses a huge amount of single use plastic

hypoallergenic cat breed has issued a correction as of 15:28 on Apr 14, 2024

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Won't somebody think of the children?!?!??

Stop having them!! Their lives are gonna suck!!!!!

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/04/15/health/climate-crisis-parenting-bill-weir-wellness

quote:

Allan: On one hand, you wrote “The United States of America I knew and loved is gone … eaten from the inside by metastasized lies fed to furious people in forgotten places.” On the other hand, you intentionally had a child in the last few years. What would you say to someone who feels conflicted about having a baby right now?

Weir: I would say we need all the good help we can get. And if you believe that your child is going to be a net positive for humanity, go for it. I think our basic purpose in life is to procreate. Nature wants replication and hopefully improvement for the next generation.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

starkebn posted:

fair enough point

I suppose it's the difference between sharing space and resources equitably and overusing what's available. When did we really start wrecking the biosphere? It has to be long before capitalism.

The agricultural revolution, switching from being hunter-gatherers to forming permanent settlements where we farmed monocultures, aka "the worst mistake in human history". Once we became dependent on crops and reproduced beyond the natural carrying capacity of the environment there was no turning back without allowing many people to starve.

hypoallergenic cat breed has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Apr 17, 2024

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Can't believe that capitalism made us hunt all the megafauna to extinction with sharp sticks, how had I never considered the bourgeois character of the neolithic hunter?

We might not have hunted them all to extinction tbf, we may have just been carrying all sorts of interesting new diseases with us and our domestic animals.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

I think you people need to start being realistic.

I am reliant on internationally produced medicine to survive and cannot be allowed to simply die by going without it.

Better start learning backyard chemical synthesis, if it's something like insulin that's easy, just have a flock of sheep or pigs and harvest theirs. As a trans man I'm gonna have to get my T straight from the source :pigsballs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

err posted:

Classic greenwashing. A dozen solar panels on a roof makes it good for environment :downs:

I don't think there's any actual solar panels though, I think that just means they theoretically could have solar panels whenever they are "ready"