Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

How effective is CCS vs paying a dude to work full-time planting bamboo on an acre plot and cutting it down and burying it year round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Isn't this just death stranding....

we need to find norman reedus's adoptive sister and beg her to stop doing climate change

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SPARC is going to come online in 2025 and we'll all feel pretty silly about climate change

Or it doesn't, and we'll be the last generation to enjoy the finer things in life. Pretty exciting, either way

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

good news and bad news:

The good news is thanks to high temperature superconducting tape (that can be cheaply cooled with LN2 rather than helium) being commercialized, fusion will reach electrical breakeven by the end of the decade in a form factor and size significantly more reasonable than ITER.

The bad news is every single loving watt of it will be diverted to mining crypto!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare-earth_barium_copper_oxide is the material, only recently commercially available as tape

they're using it in that new prototype tokamak from MIT
https://news.mit.edu/2021/MIT-CFS-major-advance-toward-fusion-energy-0908

This is pretty much the only thing keeping me hopeful, it seems real this time and the fact they're talking in terms of engineering Q and not plasma Q + actually demonstrated their monster-rear end magnets makes it not a bullshit grift like every other company headed by a business major with a toy fusor. I will lmao like a madman if they beat ITER because they took so long to build it that new technology significantly reduced the complexity needed.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Pobrecito posted:

thats probably my biggest gripe about the movie (though i did really enjoy it)

It was easy to see past; lets be honest, the "listen to the scientists!" Lib poo poo isn't wrong in a vacuum, its just our top scientists during covid have been poo poo so its become a joke thing to say

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I've posted about it before but fusion actually probably is no-poo poo 5 to 10 years from engineering breakeven, commonwealth fusion and helion are two companies to watch. There's a crazy amount of money being thrown at it just in the last year.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

There's two things with fusion: engineering Q > 1 will probably actually happen by 2030 by at least one or two ventures, but fusion will forever have a much higher LCOE than current renewables (ie it isn't economical or practical). It has applications in space propulsion and the navy will probably be interested at some point, but there's not enough tritium in the world by an order of magnitude to ever fully provide full fusion energy for the whole planet.

If this were all happening in the economics of like 30 years ago it would be super promising, but solar PV and wind have gotten STUPIDLY cheap and are so much easier to install.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Also we already have fusion weapons and have had them since the beginning of the cold war so that argument makes no sense.

Technically we could also have already had fusion energy too if we did that proposal where we detonate nukes in a giant cavern filled with water :v:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Please don't be so simple as to equate a cascading fission or fission reaction used in a bomb as the same thing as a controlled fission or fusion chain reaction

Maybe I am just shouting into the void but modern fusion energy research has pretty much zero crossover into weapons research is more what I am saying.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Fusion's not "worthless" in that it isn't not worth pursuing since there is cool stuff you can do with space propulsion using fusion, but it's not going to fix climate change yeah. Even the most generous LCOE analysis shows fusion costing as much as fission nuclear plants since they'd be just as complex but in other ways unique to fusion, so why would Regional Energy Company spend the money to build a plant when they can buy MWs of PV capacity from Chinese factories for a quarter of the price?

I sort of casually follow fusion and I've kinda flipped over the last year from being optimistic to being pessimistic, I still think it's going to "happen" but the tritium supply problem and the cost is going to keep it from being practical.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

honestly i was mainly thinking of the parts of the work being done using supercomputers funded and built to model weapons like all the DOE stuff

https://www.exascaleproject.org/research-project/wdmapp/

Oh yeah for sure, DOE supercomputers are all weapons all the time. It's ironic too because I'm pretty sure anyone with institutional knowledge on how to actually build physical weapons have died or retired (doubly ironic because we had a hard enough time refurbishing the arsenal in the 2000's, can't imagine the situation is any better 20 years later) so all the time spent running sims on these supercomputers will make hypothetical number go up but probably will never be put to use.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

elon musk will invent plankton surrogate nanobots, don't worry about it

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Generally speaking air conditioners (unless you're in some sort of cleverly engineered passivehaus or have a massively oversized system) can really only push a temp delta of 20-30 degrees, so enjoy sitting in your 90 degree house running the ac full blast. When its humid here it struggles to maintain 74 degrees on a 90-ish day.

Gotta put up a foot thick of insulation in your closet and turn it into a fridge for humans

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Goons inadvertantly discovering Jainism itt

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I've always been curious what the scale would need to be for like a bamboo biochar operation and how it compares (both in land/water use and operating cost) vs direct air capture

Researchers have shown biochar reactors can be self-sustained via using the offgassed combustibles to burn/heat the reactor for a slight efficiency hit (still resulting in a net carbon decrease, like burning 20% of the carbon to bury the remaining 80% without requiring an external energy source)

To me it seems a lot easier to grow acres and acres of bamboo to toss into a big hole/make black earth with than build thousands of these bigass expensive air capture plants but idk

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

This tracks, cavemen understand the utility of rocks that get hot enough to boil water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Paper bags are better cuz they hold more and reusable is best cuz you can like pre-bag your poo poo in your cart and save everyone time at checkout

People who go to bat for disposable plastic bags are sickos who hate life and themselves