Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
we need that wanker sun gif in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

God Hole posted:

in a couple of months i turn 30. just before that, i will fulfill an appointment with my urologist to get a vasectomy. feels good man. my only concern is that i'll be one of the 1% who develop chronic ball pains

I don't even want kids that badly, my GF would have difficulties with pregnancy anyway and is on board with a vsec.

Still feel weird about doing it. My junk is a loaded gun and I know it, there's no logical reason not to, but still. It's "reversible", but it feels so final.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You know what, we haven't killed nearly enough insects. Time to go kill some more, manually if need be. :allears:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

We're going to go from "It's too early and we're not sure" to "It's too late and we should just keep going and enjoy" with no middle that is "Now is the time to do something"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Wakko posted:

yes that was the whole plan with exxon suppressing climate research for the 30 years or so where doing things would have mattered

although aside from the posters ITT not sure how many will enjoy being unceremoniously dumped into a mass grave, but we'll get to find out together!

Bold of you to assume anyone is going to collect our corpses

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/DigiEconomist/status/1438896477590409227

:shepicide:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

My grandfather was born in Oct. 1918, and he died in 2008 in early summer. If you're a having a baby at this point in time, like my best friend is doing at the moment, their natural life span can take them into the next century and through whatever date you want to kick the can at.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Sedisp posted:

Not serious enough whatever could you mean?

Vote. Just like when you voted for Biden just so he could continue to coddle fascists and drill for oil.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Minrad posted:

us c 130s log 175,000 combined flight hours, yearly

Minrad posted:

im sure if you cut down on your personal waste a bit you can match the equivalent of driving 2.8 billion miles every year though

The US Air Force (and probably everyone else too, esp if we trained them) make pilots fly just so they can keep up their flight hours.

And then you zoom out on the absolutely tremendous waste of energy war is in general. The Red Ball Express in WW2 was a fuel supply chain in France, and used more fuel than it could deliver. Every tank and plane just guzzling fuel like it's going out of style (and it is). In the Korean War the air force literally ran out of things to bomb. In Vietnam helicopter transport became the norm. Gulf War I made air power the foremost force in the US military.

But yeah stop taking showers and sit in 89 degree heat for the uh, planet.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Hubbert posted:

the best part is that the chinese actually did their own

The Chinese actually have long term goals and aren't just about padding high scores for the elite.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Basic Poster posted:

Also I mean, idk where the $7500 came from. I read 20-40k plus $1k/ year payment for ever (HOA? loving probably).

Even at 20k...you could easily make your own bunker. Just rent a backhoe and a concrete contractor and put it in your yard.

Can't, HOA bylaws prevent bunker construction. Growing food for that matter too.

America is a free country. That's why we have laws dictating what type of grass is to be planted in your yard, what length it must be (with minimum and maximum lengths), and that you must grow it at literally all costs. We will be coming by with a ruler to measure the grass length. :911:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I like how that map has population centers marked for nuclear destruction, and not the silos and bases dotted around in the northern midwest.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

fortunately the biosphere is collapsing so we don't have to worry

This is also why I stopped caring about AI, automation etc. It's not going to happen because we will literally die before it does. Also good luck doing any of that without chips lmao

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Nuts, avocados, dairy.

Sustainable :shuckyes:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Car Hater posted:

They also already have their domes. Cheyenne Mountain. Raven Rock. Chiashan. And thousands of others scattered throughout the world, designed to keep the notion of the state and it's right to dominate you alive forever. You think they didn't think of you pooping in the vents when your grandparents were still in nappies?

Only Da Bomb can save us now

lol I loved the sheer arrogance involved in continuity of government planning.

Yes, we're going to take your tax dollars to build ourselves bunkers to protect ourselves from a nuclear war we probably started in the first place. But it's ok, we'll be there to rebuild society afterward, which will probably mean straight up enslaving you since we have tons of military that survived and not much else. Aren't you happy you still have a government though?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Is that a voidout?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Rime posted:

Tossing and turning in bed tonight, my mind settled on something which hasn't stopped bothering me since my excessive travels in America. I'd just write this in my journal, but I seem to have lost it on a mountainside in July. Forums posting takes the place of a blog. More readers here anyways.

There is a lack of vibrancy in the world, today, everything has become sterile. In the 1990's and early 2000's, I guess, we hadn't aggressively urban sprawled so far yet, and just straight up hadn't killed off so much. It really, really hosed me up, I think, to have seen so much of the continent so fast through the eyes of someone who knows how bad a state the biosphere is and in to process speedrun an understanding of just how barren and desertified and over-developed this continent has become.

I have a nearly photographic long-term memory, so it is staggering to lay there and play back experiences in my mind from twenty years ago to today. To think of how the ocean had a smell to it, and forests had such sound. How when you walked in nature, you could feel it buzzing around you with vibrancy, but that even then it was the death throes of an ecosystem compared to a century prior. It is impossible to look at photographs or video from even fifty years ago, and contrast it to today, and not realize that the world already ended years ago while you were playing a videogame.

Realizing that the world I grew up in and which shaped me as I ran through its glades and meadows, caught fireflies by rainforest streams, was already a dying and severely damaged one. That's some poo poo.

I used to have plans, I wanted to kayak the Broughton Archipelago, spend a month exploring the Spatsizi on foot, cross the Brooks Peninsula - never touched by the last ice age and home to a staggering array of unrecorded plants. Build a homestead far away from the internet and society and quite happily avoid the madness for a long, long time. Visions held in my imagination, vague memories of places visited and places read about and places seen in documentaries.

Whenever I think of these plans now, they have the taste of ash, because I know whatever ecosystem existed there when I dreamed them up has been rendered silent by our excesses - or will be by the time I finally say enough is enough and put down my career for good. I know it will, because this already the case on every trip I've done in the past several years. The landscapes remain, but the vibrancy has been stilled. Just my footsteps and the wind and rarely a bird so far away it may just be a memory. No buzzing of life, only of chainsaws if there's old growth nearby. Drying moss and reddening cedars, a sea bereft of jumping salmon, the air oddly clear of insects, and a forest floor with not a beetle to be seen.

To hear the owl call your name is the harbinger of death, to my aunts people - the Kwakwaka'wakw, but what when there are no owls left to call?

What then?

"Once there were brook trouts in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."

-Cormac McCarthy The Road

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

Donziger got 6 months in real jail for contempt of court lmfao, guess it doesn't pay to win a lawsuit against Chevron

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1444013420857204737?s=19

Just banana republic things

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Watched half of the Nature Abhors a Dome video.

But that's ok, I never had hope to begin with. As soon as the combustion engine was invented, it was a done deal, we were never going to stop burning every last drop.

so

RC Cola posted:

Lmao. Lol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Demilich posted:

I've never wanted to wedgie a planet before.

You're doing it right now, along with the rest of us :v:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Taking bets on when local evening news is going to tout suicide as a coping mechanism.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Make us burn sooner mommy!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

you must take a lot of antidepressants

I had a similar experience as he did and I actually am on 20mg of lexapro.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Acelerion posted:

Take what you currently know about people and put the average one in front a a bunch of big gently caress off architecture/signage about imminent doom if you so much as disturb a rock and tell me what you think will happen

"Nothing valuable is here or was ever here, you will only find death in this place"

"Man that's EXACTLY the sort of poo poo people would put on their buried treasure. C'mon, go get those slaves to dig this up for us!"

I wonder if pictures of people suffering radiation poisoning would do the trick? Maybe not the first time, but when they dig too greedily and too deep and end up exactly like the pictures say, maybe they'll take the hint?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

CODChimera posted:

so are we more or less doomed currently? feels like there's been less destruction recently

Northern hemisphere summer is over.

The west coast is about to get slammed with rain, watch this space. It's also in the middle of a drought, so it could go either way!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Femur posted:

They shared.

:catstare:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This week I ordered a half ($125) from my dude and when I showed up he said oh the strain you want I have an ounce left of it so do you want to take the full ounce for $150 instead? I said oh poo poo hold on let me check... okay I have $146. Done deal.

A dispensary would never.

My dispo would, but this place is a low key storefront who's name I still haven't even picked up on. Everything is dank af and they would absolutely cut you a break on the oz. Hell, they sold me an oz for 50 bucks and it wasn't all just shake.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

A Terrible Person posted:

I'm morbidly curious as to how the first world countries are going to handle food shortages and/or outright famine in the information age.

Tens hundreds of thousands running out of food while their internet connections are still paid for, getting called pussies by fascists that haven't been hit yet but also not getting a hell of a lot of sympathy from people who have survived food insecurity in the past. At least in the beginning.

I know a lot of us have been there, going a week or more on nothing except maybe a ramen packet, can of corn, or single-serving bag of ham slices maybe once every few days due to inexperience, bad planning, or outright lack of options.

I don't know. I'm just wondering what happens when a bunch of otherwise comfortable people are confronted with the fact that being "hungry" isn't just skipping breakfast or neglecting to grab a late night snack; when they're confronted by the fact that a single, unseasoned hard-boiled egg is a feast for kings if you don't know when you'll eat again. Especially when they can still tweet or post on Facebook or whatever about it.

Again, just morbid curiosity.

People recoil in rage when you suggest they should eat less meat. I said in the D-day econ thread that once people lose 24/7 on-demand access to beef, pork, and chicken they are going to lose their minds. If they lose access to food in general, look out.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

err posted:

Sci-fi movies have absolutely fried this dude's brain.

We can colonize the stars!

The speed of light is more or less immutable and there are no shortcuts.

Yes it is we can go faster than light! Some guy put out a paper that require negative energy to work so it's bound to happen eventually because we're humans and we can do anything, you're just anti-science! It's just like the speed of sound!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Complications posted:

2042 seems a bit optimistic, but I like your spirit.

Oat and lentils yields are the worst they've ever been

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There is one good thing: it'll be over soon.

You waaaaait, ba da da da, ba da da da.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Our response to tobacco is all you need to know about why we're ignoring plastic.

There's also a new study every day about how awesome wine is for you.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

SA and CSPAM is not a young audience though

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Tempora Mutantur posted:

goddamn the actual article is dark

yep just a neutral, impartial mirror

a free market of search results, really

Unless it's say, about unionization.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Whoever bought the forum ad for Nature Abhors a Dome, thank you.

I lol'd when I saw it. I probably even look like doomer wojack right now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I watched "The Road" for the first time last night, and let me tell you, that did not make me feel any better lol

That's not a movie I gently caress with. Just the synopsis was enough.

I do kinda want to get quotes from the book as a tattoo, if I ever get a tattoo,

"Borrowed time and borrowed world
and borrowed eyes to sorrow them"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Chamale posted:

Millions of Africans will starve before any American cattle do.

Or our cars, a lot of that corn is meant for ethanol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

It seems pretty clear to me that at some point in the next decade we're going to take drastic measures to alter the planet's climate but without actually addressing any of the problems that led us to need to take these measures.

Looking forward to atmospheric dimming bringing back winters or some poo poo while we continue to burn as much carbon as humanly possible.

the mitigation will be used to justify more burning, since there’s excess overhead now and I deserve an exemption because my plastic junk is important and I bought a senator a steak dinner and he says it’s ok and legal

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

DLU spoiler - All the people they brought to the new planet are also too loving old to have kids as well so the humans are definitely doomed lmao

Yeah, but young people didn't have money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I was wondering why they didn’t try to approach astronomers in other, more serious countries.