Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i sit here with an empty post box trying to think of whats left to say that can still be written in plaintext on a public board

pretty much only one thing left

lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

I love knowing that we're gonna be able to update the comp reel in the background for this every year as it gets better and better

a crowdsourced collaboration with nature and the end

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Caseman posted:

Is there a timestamp for when that video stops being the exact same sentence said over and over in slightly different ways trying to convince the listener to stop having any hope and listen to their argument really you should listen to what they have to say its very important no I swear you gotta listen to it? I got 15 minutes in and threw in the towel. If you're going to ask me to listen to two and a half hours of something, you should really try to get to the loving point.

i made it to 15m on the first try and 25m on the second

edit: lol the skeletons thing is good

edit2: the point at the 38/39 min mark is just wrong though. emissions are not binary, they're scalar. mitigation does matter.

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Sep 19, 2021

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

ksr on the latest chapo talkin climate

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Stereotype posted:

yeah this is what the american ones do too, but a critical component of keeping that salt molten is natural gas.

another poster mentioned that it isn't just an additional component like i had dismissively stated, it ends up being a significant fraction and produces 300% the electricity of a pure natural gas plant per volume of natural gas burned. you're still building a ton of mirrors to get that benefit, and believe it or not there isn't such thing as "empty consequence free space." not a serious solution

your holier than though phrasing and judgemental sniping betrays a truly childish and immature understanding of what the plant was for.

back in the early 2010's we had no idea that the price of solar-PV was going to plummet as fast as it did and "win" so we had to build giant proof of concept plants of the alternative (solar-thermal) to see if they would work. no one knew which (if either!) would work, so for example both solyndra *and* invanpah got funded.

it didn't pan out. the reliability was just a couple % too low, and the gaps that needed gas to bridge turned out to be closer to "everyday" than "a week or two in the winter".

funny enough, solyndra failed too, not because solar-pv turned out to be too expensive, but because one-time subsidized solar-pv cant compete with heavily subsidized solar-pv.

in both cases however the failures are GOOD THINGS because it means we ACTUALLY TRIED and ACTUALLY SPENT SOME $ and ACTUALLY BUILT THINGS

libs crying about ivanpah are the exact same thing, just the other side of the coin, as chuds complaining about solyndra. just the endless entitled baby attitude of americans that they're entitled to the end results without any of the work it takes to get there.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

lol the oil spill is canceling the cultural display of our most flagrant and weaponized avatar of fossil fuel consumption

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Rime posted:

The problem is the means of production, not who has seized them.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

if gen z sucks as hard as boomers have then we don't have to worry about the 'future ones' part

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i saw a cool one on some youtube where it had gone bankrupt, and some combination of the homeowners and an investor had turned into into a market-garden/vegetable-farm

i remember thinking about what a perfect example it is of how our problems are purely cultural, not resource or tech or even really money

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Rime posted:

Why Everything is Suddenly Getting More Expensive — And Why It Won’t Stop

Thread readers will recall that I've been talking endlessly to anyone who will listen about the idea of externalized costs of production for years and years, and yet somehow it has never occurred to me to view the price tag associated with climate disruption as the debt incurred by those same costs circling back around and coming due. I've always assumed that debt would be reflected purely as damage or a body count, or the spiralling degredation of our environment. Since these costs will be imposed on us by forces out nature outside our control, at random, and largely cannot be mitigated (or, if they are, only at tremendous expense) - there's really no way to avoid the impact this will have on our economy and the cheap production it has relied on for a century to maintain social order via price incentives.

Obivously, things really are being propped up solely by the vast scale of the repo operations every major central bank is now doing nightly - to balance the continually increasing liquidity they're pumping in on the other end to prevent this situation from cooking off. Up from a few billion in the fall of 2019 to almost $2 Trillion, every night, in the USA alone now.

Elegant, simple, extremely alarming. It's like a light-bulb was just switched on in my head. This is the bowtie on the argument that growth consumer capitalism was only possible in a similarly boundless world, and now that we've hit and grossly exceeded the resource & environmental bounds of our own world an economic phase-change being forced on us is unavoidable.

Article just ties the whole room together, extremely pro-click. :psyboom:

yea we're already degrowth-ing we're just cooking the books for a decade or two in denial about it

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 03:06 on Oct 10, 2021

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

one of the most basic truths of climate change is that you can ignore *everything* everyone talks about w/r/t "footprints" or "efficiency" or "capture" or whatever

there are three things that matter:
- stop digging up and burning coal
- stop drilling, pumping, refining, and burning oil
- stop drilling, piping, and burning gas

after that you can get lost in the marginal weeds forever about poo poo like cement, cows, beccs, trees, urbanization, big-ag, macro trends, micro behaviors, blah blah bikelanes

its all just anxiety thrashing

all that matters is:
- end coal
- end oil
- end gas

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

tiberion02 posted:

all that matters is:
- lmao
- lmfao
- roflmao

close, its:
- lol
- lmao
- weed

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

mlmp08 posted:

Eh, the paper is not academic and was published in order to sell engineering solutions and test kits.

Climate hosed, but this is combo scare-mongering and profiteering pay to publish scheme.

hmmm, so what you're saying is we should start a dropshipped domes store and *then* publish a paper about it

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

its the skeletons in the bar joke

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

actionjackson posted:

is china seriously not on there they burn coal like crazy

oh does your bullshit right wing talking point turn out to be bullshit? who could have possibly seen this coming

"factoids" are an absolutely dogshit way of understanding things, if you can't draw the graph in your head to contextualize the factoids you hear IGNORE THEM

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

my brother bought an electric snowblower this weekend. we were remarking that it would probably last longer than there will be snow anymore in new jersey

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i like how "just collapse" works as a double entendre

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

only the most wildly optimistic and zealously hopeful people think this will be over quickly

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

don't throw the bathwater out with the baby

hard irl lol'd

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

https://thebulletin.org/2021/10/jellyfish-attack-nuclear-power-plant-again/

quote:

Jellyfish attack nuclear power plant. Again.

Scotland’s only working nuclear power plant at Torness shut down in an emergency procedure this week when jellyfish clogged the sea water-cooling intake pipes at the plant, according to the Scotland Herald. Without access to cool water, a nuclear power plant risks overheating, with potentially disastrous results (see: Fukushima). The intake pipes can also be damaged, which disrupts power generation. And ocean life that gets sucked into a power plant’s intake pipes risks death.

The threat these gelatinous, pulsating, umbrella-shaped marine animals pose to nuclear power plants is neither new nor unknown. (Indeed, the Bulletin reported on this threat in 2015.) Nuclear power plant closures—even temporary ones—are expensive. To protect marine life and avert power plant closures, scientists are exploring early warning system options. For example, researchers at Cranfield University in the United Kingdom launched a project earlier this year to determine whether drones may be used to provide estimates of jellyfish locations, amounts, and density.

“The successful operation of [beyond visual line of sight drones] will enable us to detect threats from marine ingress at an earlier state and prevent disruption to the power plant,”
Monica Rivas Casado, a senior lecturer in environmental monitoring at Cranfield, said. In the United Kingdom, 20 percent of electricity is nuclear, a percentage roughly equaled in the United States, compared with approximately 10 percent globally.

The clash between gelatinous jellyfish and hulking nuclear power plants has a long history. These spineless, brainless, bloodless creatures shut down the Torness nuclear power plant in 2011 at a cost of approximately $1.5 million per day, according to one estimate. Swarms of these invertebrates have also been responsible for nuclear power plant shutdowns in Israel, Japan, the United States, the Philippines, South Korea, and Sweden.

Humans have unwittingly nurtured the adversarial relationship between jellyfish and nuclear power plants. That is, human-induced climate change has raised ocean water temperatures, setting conditions for larger-than-usual jellyfish populations. Further, the relatively warm water near nuclear power plant discharge outlets may attract jellyfish swarms, according to one study. Also, pollution has lowered oxygen levels in sea water, which jellyfish tolerate more than other marine animals, leading to their proliferation.

just fuckin lol

I know which side I'm betting on

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Suburban life in general and the American suburb/sprawl/development cycle in general seems awful to live in and for multiple other reasons, but I think it's a lot more complex than this. I moved out of the city, (way the gently caress out), because cities stress the hell out of me, aggravate my tinnitus, are generally expensive, and being surrounded by quiet natural sounds and far fewer people makes me feel calm. There's a reasonable amount of research into all the reasons this might be more than a personality quirk of mine, from studies about stress responses to noise to the higher density of pollution and shitheads that you generally have to deal with in actual cities.

look idgaf what you do, but just recognize what you're doing here is such an annoyingly common america-brain cliche its starting to rank up there with "teenage libertarian white boy" on the rolleyes scale

you don't hate cities, you hate cars. all of the noise problems are from cars/trucks/motorcycles, not from humans.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

actionjackson posted:

but uh... am I missing something here? they certainly have gone down, at least per capita.

banned for malthusianism

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

people vastly overestimate the harms of nuclear war
solid thread title contender

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Sure hope this isn't the new normal though because there is just zero way to deal with it. Jet stream dies one year? The PNW might get ocean winds and the East Atlantic might get some air moving but the Central Lakes are going to be 110F+ for a month or two. The East Atlantic might get hit by a Category 6 hurricane. The PNW will apparently get apocalyptic flooding and heat domes. Either way if the square states lose a year of crops sitting in a relatively mild 90F spring doesn't really do much for you.

to be clear, this is not the new normal. this is the +1.1C normal. by the end of the decade we will be finding out what the ~+1.4C normal looks like and then we'll go on to see what the new ~+1.7C normal looks like in the decade after that. those ones are very very locked in by now, baring a miracle like cold fusion or covid-23 cutting the population by 80%.

even in a d&d lib's wildest fantasy the late-gen-x/elder-millenial goon will never see a stable climate in their remaining lifetime

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

is there a super straightforward, baby level data dashboard?

like I just want to see stuff like live line graphs of GHG emissions and expected temperature rise by 2050.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Nocturtle posted:

Personally went through a phase looking into and working out as much as possible for myself what was actually required to achieve gigaton-scale negative emissions and concluded we've already hit this stage. Believe that phase is usually called "bargaining".

for anyone who hasn't, the first part of this 38 minute video is a run through of what it would take to capture gigatons of co2 per year. the second part is a run through of how and where we could store it. its a very dry and boring numbers/charts/graphs academic presentation. you can watch it in under a half hour at 1.5x speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6WjxL8anSQ

this is how i get my crack ping fix now, watching xan'd out grad students one up each other with nonsense presentations on how we'll create a co2 pipeline network bigger than the current oil pipeline network

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Nov 20, 2021

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

crosspostin this work of art from the pics thread

https://twitter.com/connal99/status/1462786788200792064

hope you have a great day

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

my dad is a kindof bored/retired 'news' addict in the sense that he has like 4 or 5 different news apps on his phone that constantly push him notifications and he's constantly reading a handful of dumb sites and asking me if i heard about some dumb poo poo a celeb or politician said

mentioned vancouver this week... he had no idea. the atmospheric rivers, the mudslides, the flooding, the gas and oil pipelines, the store shelves, none of it. not one iota of "a major first world north american city is turbo hosed right now" had made it to him through all the major news site apps.

but then he knew about nu (later in the day named omicron) before I woke up that morning.

just a facinating test case in how collectively the news-media to infotainment junkie pipeline completely filters out climate change stuff

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 01:42 on Nov 28, 2021

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Xaris posted:

lol if we live long enough to see +1.5c in like 30 years. what a show that's gunna be

I know you didn't mean it this way, but this is a perfect example of how deep and pervasive climate science "denial" is.

Look at where the dotted line crosses the 1.5C line in the top part of this chart:

So the "science" says +1.5C in 2040 (19 years). It also has +/- 10 years built in around the 1/3rd and 2/3rds confidence levels, so 2030 is entirely plausible (9 years).

But thats the *old* IPCC estimate, the newer one doesn't have as simple a graph but basically moves the timeline up 5 years. So really the science/ipcc says "we could hit +1.5C in 2025".

Here in the CSPAM climate thread its a widely held view that the IPCC models are missing major factors, and the reports are watered down via the stakeholders and process it takes to publish them, and we've seen a track record of reality trending worse than the predictions.

So what that all adds up to is... we will very very likely see +1.5C globally within the 2020s.

Not 30 years, more like 5 - 10.

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Dec 3, 2021

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

what loving kills me about all that guys battery and solar system videos is that he's using it all to power his crypto mining rigs.

like he's one of the top two or three battery review youtubers, but also an autistic libertarian.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

hey i got distracted watching omicron did vancouver ever result to cannabalism?

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the character's lesson was clear too: give up, smoke weed, find someone hot dumb and kind to gently caress

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

alobar i love you from your work on the scarane campaign but you are dead rear end one thousand percent wrong here, and exhibiting absolutely psycho levels of toxic-masculinity and co-morbid american car-brain.

if someone is blocking the passing lane, preventing you from going as fast as you want to go, because it is your god given right as a car driving american to never feel impeded, and you have a rage-trigger reaction to the affront to your freedom... you're the bad guy.

being forced to go 55 in a 50 instead of the 65 you want to, for however many minutes you and this guy are going the same way, is not actually someone stealing from you. you were not entitled to go as fast as you want in the first place. you are not entitled to unrestricted vehicular mobility. people who get in your way or make you go 10% slower than you want have not wronged you.

blocking the lane is sub-optimal, brake-checking is bad, passing on the shoulder at speed is loving insane. being unwilling or unable to simply say "darn i could go 10-15mph faster if not for this guy, oh well" is an entitlement and rage/control problem.

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Feb 5, 2022

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Natural gaslighting

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Alobar posted:

i didn't think that the thread about laughing about literal millions and possibly billions of humans dying from climate change would draw the line at "hey, don't drive fast" as if anything on this stupid loving planet matters :words:
american car culture is the very root of climate change. the combined energy consumption of making them, driving them around, spreading/sprawling out society to suit them, and the wild inefficiency of heating/cooling all the detached housing they enable constitutes the absolute core problem of climate change. the raw numbers are only like a quarter or a third-ish of the energy consumption, but the real core of it is the culture of entitlement to it. the very reason we cannot fight or win against climate change is how incredibly defensive and pscyho americans suffering from car-brain get when you tell them "hey drive 5mph slower" let alone "you should not be allowed to own a car." the aggro rage-fueled sense of entitlement americans have, to go as fast as they want whenever they want and gently caress anyone who gets in their way, is like 80% of the climate change problem. the rest is just some engineering.

quote:

and i didn't think this would go on for so many pages but really gently caress slow drivers especially the ones that intentionally slow down other traffic and i'm not sorry for anything i said
psst the bold part is where you're being a psycho

in your defense its nearly impossible to comprehend this unless you stop driving for a few years. its basically a form of detox and addiction recovery. your monkey brain very well understands the concept of being able to summon hundreds of horsepower and fling thousands of pounds around at speed with the flick of a wrist. that power is as addicting as any other sense of power and your brain has spent nearly your entire life developing a greater and greater tolerance for it. which in turn means even just slight reductions cause withdrawal like rage and anguish.

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Feb 6, 2022

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

l'maoist crack-pingist

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

doomunist

commudoomer

a long time ago i went down the "what if a thanos snap but well targeted" and the best i could dream up was some kind of deadly virus that is harmless on the ground but when exposed to the increased radiation of jet-flight say 3 times in under 60 days it activates and kills the host

anyway go ahead and probe me neither of us will be missing anything

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

well i went a head and took a quick spin through ar6 wg2's graphics

first off we have "all the fish have to die or move"

next up is "60% of biodiversity in the tropics is at risk"

or how about "the death of half of everything" (thanos was a cuck)

here's a great new neologism, "food production loss events", sorry india!

but wait there's another one: "yield constraint score"

this one says climate change is bad for humans! sure hope nobody in india has to work outdoors to overcome their yield constraint score during a food production loss event

here's the real deep cut poo poo, how about 10 million dead?

or the 366 days of the year that going outside will kill you in indonesia

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 03:10 on Mar 1, 2022

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

500 good dogs posted:

this image owns. it perfectly captures how hosed we are and why we are hosed

its 10x worse when that same number of air conditioners are spread out across a sub-division

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i had what kids these days call a "shower thought" this morning: would it be possible to measure the amount of CO2 released from all the explosions in the Ukraine-Russia war? if so, would it be a drop in the bucket, or would we actually be able to see a spike in ppm charts?

it would be a drop in the bucket compared to just the trucks tanks and jets being used in the invasion, which are themselves a drop in the bucket compared to the number of cars/trucks/suvs americans use to commute to work on any given day.

never lose track of the utter vastness of the scale of emissions. no one thing in the news can ever be more than a drop in the bucket. only hundreds of billions of dollars a year spent over decades can bend the curve. (and thats the optimistic view that normally gets laughed out of this thread).