Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

petit choux posted:

Regarding novels I'd strongly recommend Sterling's Heavy Weather. One of my biggest complaints about Bruce is he always paints a rosy picture of what's coming but he got a few things right. His novel had people living in tents and wearing paper clothing like in ancient times. Also he makes mention of people getting evac'ed in freight trucks but doesn't get into details on any of that.

the one thing i remember from that novel is the medical tourist getting the oxygenated lung enema in mexico

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

petit choux posted:

Probably didn't hold your attention I'd guess since that was in the first few pages. It was from that part that this passage kind of stuck with me 16 years ago:

Seemed really prescient in '95.

drat, yeah, I'd probably get more out of it now. 13 year old me had read way too much Asimov and Clarke and believed that Bill Clinton and his enlightened technocrats were working in our interest.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

this is bad

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

feeling extra doomed this morning

kirk image please

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Mayor Dave posted:

Put succinctly,

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
And the machine is bleeding to death

when i was a kid i thought this was overly dramatic

lmao

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Car Hater posted:

http://sirius.institute/The_Extinctionati_Manifesto.pdf

"We, The Extinctionati, believe that due to anthropogenic climate change, a catastrophic reversal of the Earth’s geographic poles is inevitable and imminent.
Partly in jest, or with a generous amount of flippant (get it?) gallows humor, we colloquially call this The Flippening"

This whole thing is doomthread AF. Reveal yourselves, flippers!

logo technically distinct from a swastika

edit:

quote:

As for lighter-than-air craft, anyone who has a suitable dirigible on hand should give the
Extinctionati a call. You might just be the kind of lateral-thinking Steampunk hero or
heroine that we most admire and desire (especially your deep pockets)!

i'd rather die thanks

edit 2:

Stevie Lee posted:

birds are cool as hell. still waiting on the blackbirds to make it back up to maine, they should be here in a few weeks to mark the arrival of spring.

i got a (bad) video of a bluejay making that hawk call in portland a couple months back. i was also startled:
https://i.imgur.com/ztOsjzo.mp4

the culprit:

oh but this rules

Tungsten has issued a correction as of 14:10 on Feb 25, 2022

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Egg Moron posted:

Sadbrained 19th/20th century existentialists have nothing on climate doom mindset

"Boo hoo God is not real and social alienation is possible"

Lol

We knowingly mortally wounded the earth and we're laughing at it while it dies in front of us begging for mercy

Stare into the void and the void is loving lmao

you're really underselling schopenhauer's rhetoric here

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Cloks posted:

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.

the wise man dies the same as the fool

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

BRJurgis posted:

Cancel everything. Grab all your possessions and jump into a landfill. Throws dirt at passersby. Hiss and bare your teeth at your own reflection.

tell us more about your phrenology-level views on (((bodily integrity)))

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

i don't think ill of the jew or the celestial, i just believe in racial hygiene

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

so when are we dying

probably during the famines

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Rime posted:

When I still thought it would achieve any meaningful course correction I advocated for nuking the white world, champ, but at this point it's just funny to see people glossing over that and continuing to trot me out as if I am the ur-racist boogeyman of the forums.

Especially since, you know, it's obvious that as a species we're all trapped in the gas chamber regardless of race color or creed and if you are posting on these forums it is overwhelmingly your lifestyle which put us there and welded the door shut over the past three decades. I hope your comfortable convenience, sitting atop a pyramid of consumer production built upon a foundation of incomprehensible suffering and slavery in the developing world, was worth the death of all life on earth. :tipshat:

drat, you're right, i do participate in society

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

free cumshitter

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

kind of hosed up to ban a guy for posting mainstream posadist views tbh

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

MightyBigMinus posted:

the mods are teaching us an important lesson for the collapse. none of the rules matter. what matters is power and who's willing to use it, no matter how petty the grievance.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

also that you can't affect change on even the most local level because the people in power will never listen to you and can do whatever they want

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

T-Paine posted:

So uh...that guy gonna get unbanned or...

The Mariner, whose eye is bright,
Whose beard with age is hoar,
Is gone: and now the Wedding-Guest
Turned from the bridegroom's door.

He went like one that hath been stunned,
And is of sense forlorn:
A sadder and a wiser man,
He rose the morrow morn.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

ok make a QCS thread then

reported for advocating self-harm

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

T-Paine posted:

What is Glenn's point in those tweets? Some people are hypocrites? Ok?

i haven't followed him regularly in at least a decade but calling liberals hypocrites is a big part of his whole deal

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

T-Paine posted:

How has this sustained a career

got in early as a salon.com columnist

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

like other people have said the entire gimmick his career is based on is just calling people out for being hypocritical, it doesn't have any room for solutions or introspection

ironically this makes him a consummate liberal

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

i just fire warning shots near crows to get them out of the garden. they're smart enough to react by merely hopping over the fence. they know that no one cares if they're in the hayfield

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Samuel Glompers posted:

i flash my katana

wouldn't your lord's peasants be dealing with crows

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Samuel Glompers posted:

im a ronin... farmer

pls be careful with your warning shots jimmy carter killed a cat that way

awful luck with animals between that and the rabbit attack

will do, i basically shoot directly into the ground with an ancient rimfire .22 purely for the noise

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

one animal i do relish killing is the potato bug. they pop between your (gloved) fingers like bubble wrap

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Karach posted:

the true farmer way is to shake them into a bucket of diesel fuel so that they die as miserably as possible

my mom does this lol, then she sets the diesel on fire

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

simply replace your addiction to food with an addiction to stimulants

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

quote:

there are people that eat sugary garbage all day lol

these people are Bad and Dumb and do it for no reason, but actionjackson is Good and Smart and does it because he is Rational

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Free Rime.

Also, I have been assured this is the "fixing old machines" thread.

This is a thing of beauty, it's a Singer model 15. Based on the serial, there were 40,000 of this exact model allotted December 29, 1936. They had only done two prior runs this large, both 40,000, with lots of smaller batches of minor variations. My grandmother bought this new and used it for who knows what. My mother used this 1974-1995 to make halloween costumes for us kids. I have been making stuffed animals for our kids lately and I am sick of hand stitching so I want to get this going again.

I had this serviced professionally 5 years ago and believe it still works fine, however, compared to many subsequent but similar models this one is "backwards". : (example)

Additionally, it has a vertical bobbin, which is something that's not uncommon, but again, the bobbin is a backwards construction from many videos I see for more modern machines.

All original, light bulb almost certainly replaced at SOME point. I can get it threaded and make a few stitches but either it needs work or I am doing something wrong, or both.

There is a guy in town who fixes vintage machines, I have an appointment to take this to see him next Tuesday and figure out if I am just being dumb about how I am threading this, or if there's some work that needs to be done.

The wood bottom to the case is falling apart and I think that once I get the machine going, a next project may be sourcing some winterkill maple from around here and trying my hand at doing some simple milling with a circ saw and guide bars and make a new case from on-site wood. I believe I even have some prior winterkill out there which has been aging for a year and might just be ready to go if I can cut it up. (I've never tried to mill wood and will need to buy some guides and specific blades but that all sounds more fun than buying overpriced hardwood slabs when I am sitting on 11 acres of wood.

The light, pedal and all mechanicals work as far as I can tell.

this is cool. i always wonder what the hardest-to-replace part is on stuff like this, like is there any one thing that could break that would effectively brick it?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

blatman posted:

why are there so many obesity derails lately (not just this thread either), need more sewing machine derails so i can get the inspiration to sew my own shirts

it's summer, no more easy layering to hide the bulk

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Mayday Cat posted:

carrying my fat american rear end with a palaquin of energy slaves so i can drive 5 minutes to the store and find a bountiful array of plastic laced goodies, each one the product of hundreds of hours of fertilizer and pesticide application producing the most tasteless garbage imagined since the begining of human memory

i'm finding this unfulfilling for some reason, it's probably my fault. or maybe it's the immigrants...

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

ikanreed posted:

Good news. Glass quality sand is a rapidly depleting resource.

hell yes. just what i needed to hear

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I am just a stupid american (but I repeat myself) so please explain how running water through algae-and-bacteria-laden sand purifies it, this one's new to me

the holes between some of the pieces of sand are smaller than bacteria, so if you run the water through enough sand the bacteria get stuck. this principle is why rainwater that filters through the ground into aquifers is clean

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

mawarannahr posted:

lack of affordable access to sufferable c***s

:hmmyes:

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

is this deconstruction

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

T-Paine posted:

I'll never get why so many here think it's funny or interesting to try and own people for caring about things. Look how above it all I am!!

it's this

Mameluke posted:

ok keep screaming your insecurities as if you don't hold them lol

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

if we get rid of the people openly acknowledging the bad thing, that's the same as getting rid of the bad thing

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Hexigrammus posted:

Hmm. I'd better get busy and download the Internet while it's still available.

make sure to keep your backups in a faraday cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

RC Cola posted:

so do they just obsessively read this thread and talk about how bad it is for your mental health to read this thread? Those poor people and their mental health must hurt

they clearly don't because they get the tone wrong