Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

goferchan posted:

Looks like good old Hero's Downfall was the first "target creature or planeswalker" card.

I think it was dreadbore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

LifeLynx posted:

701.28f is correct, but a better question is why is she bereaved before any of her fellow creatures have died?

She's already bereaved, but the next time something dies it pushes her over the edge.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

HootTheOwl posted:

Over time it's been proven that fetches +brainstorm is basically the most powerful thing a deck can do.
In vintage you only get one copy of ancestral, but the card selection of 4 ponder 4 brainstorm + fetch means you'll always have exactly what you need when you need it and always just enough lands.
A few pages back in the old thread that's how P Sully chided historic for having brainstorm.

You only get one brainstorm and one ponder in vintage, they're restricted too.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

"Unless Anti-Time Anomaly destroyed first" has some real "Gronk design you card game" energy.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 4, 2021

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Might be a question with no good answer but what’s my best bet for getting back into (constructed) paper magic these days considering the last time I played IRL was… 2002. I’ve been playing on arena for a few months but I’d like to play in person again. Is my best option really just buying single cards? It’s intimidating when even a budget deck can run like $100. I wish somebody would just give me a ton of cards lol

Play kinda bad decks that you still have fun playing while losing, don't chase tier 1 nonsense if you're just playing FNM.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The term is credulous idiots.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It's cute, but that thing has no hooves.

Edit: maybe it does, I missed it's spindly legs and thought it was floating for some reason.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Merfolk is an honest modern deck for honest, good hearted people. Anyone impugning the merits of Merfolk is a callous and hard hearted villain.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Maro did his regular vague info dump thing again.

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/666032714092331009/maros-innistrad-crimson-vow-teaser

quote:

Before previews for Innistrad: Crimson Vow officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I’m only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect:

• The following counter types: bloodline, croak, invitation, judgment, omen, slime, and suspect

• A new mechanic that removes something never removed before

• A popular and powerful creature card from an Innistrad set gets reprinted

• A new artifact token, along the lines of Clue, Food and Treasure

• A card that makes red Dragon Illusion creature tokens with flying and haste

• A mechanic that first appeared as a faction mechanic returns

• A new legendary creature card that combines two characters that previously each had their own legendary creature card

• A new card that lets you cast certain cards off the top of your library

• A new mechanic which is a mirror of an already existing mechanic

• A legendary character returns, but now as a Vampire

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:

• “Choose a number between 0 and 13.”

• “with mana value less than or equal to the number of Vampires you control”

• “If it’s red, you may cast it this turn.”

• “Zombies you control have flying.”

• “At the beginning of your upkeep, any opponent may sacrifice a creature.”

• “Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent”

• “twice that many of those tokens are created instead.”

• “Whenever a Human you control dies,”

• “equal to the number of permanents you control that are Spirits and/or enchantments.”

• “Then if you control exactly thirteen permanents,”

Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:

• Creature – Human Ranger Werewolf

• Creature – Angel Soldier

• Creature – Zombie Scorpion

• Creature – Serpent Egg

• Creature – Eye Horror

• Legendary Creature – Human Peasant

• Legendary Creature – Spirit Warlock

• Legendary Creature – Slug Horror

• Legendary Creature – Kraken Horror

• Legendary Creature – Vampire Noble (two new ones)

I want the "popular and powerful creature card from an Innistrad set gets reprinted" to be Snapcaster mage, but I know it won't be.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Strong Sauce posted:

Ayami Kojima has done art for the Castlevania series.

I expected an Alucard, I was not disappointed.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

HootTheOwl posted:

I didn't realize she was a big enough deal to invite to your vampire wedding

How would you even send an invite to a Planeswalker?

Please let there be some kind of postal worker that is also a Planeswalker.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

HootTheOwl posted:

They have jobs too.
(Where they're also partners)

Halana and Alena, LLP

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's a joke because the original Alena and Halana cards from CMR have Partner.

Their cards taken by themselves suggest that they are not a power couple.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Crackling doom was my favorite card to cast in standard and will probably always will be.

It was especially fun when heroic decks were being played.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

So noted scumbag cheater Matthew Folkes apparently plays FnB now and was cheating it up on camera last weekend en route to winning a few thousand bucks and they are taking a pass on doing anything about it lol

This guy, lmao

https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2018/09/matthew-foulkes-suspended-for-18-months-for-attempting-to-steal-flooded-strand-promo-mtg/

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Pioneer was fun in that brief moment before everyone figured out what was actually good in the format.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

neaden posted:

Cards always return to their owner when they change zones.

I'm not sure this is true, if you exile an opponent's bone crusher giant with robber of the rich and cast stomp off of it, the card goes into exile under your control and you are able to cast the giant from exile.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Edit:this was a poorly phrased phone post, I'll let another rules lawyer exploit this posting opportunity

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 13, 2021

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Oboro ... it's $80

What in the goddamn hell, that's insane.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Abisteen posted:

Really easy question that I think I know the answer to: For a card like Imposing Grandeur in the vampire commander precon (4{R} Sorcery, Each player may discard their hand and draw cards equal to the greatest mana value of a commander they own on the battlefield or in the command zone.")

[discard their hand] is a cost so a player has to have a hand of at least one card, which they would discard, in order to get the draw effect, is that right?

Discarding your hand is not a cost of the spell, it is the spell's effect. If you have no cards in hand you may just draw. Costs will have a colon "Discard your hand: draw cards equal to…" or the text "As an additional cost…".

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 17, 2021

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Anyone who plays both modern burn and merfolk is cool and my friend :cool::respek::cool:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I read the URL as inspired by Arkane and then I opened the link and became immediately disappointed.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

What islands do you play? Yes, I will judge you.

I dunno about anyone else, but my lords of Atlantis are revised so my lands match

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

BizarroAzrael posted:

Primate I'd...?

Price Increasing Literally Forever :v:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I am heartened to see Infect in the top 8 at Vegas. Modern is back.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm sure I'll never need to actually investigate the shape of a holofoil in a tournament, but silver borders were cool and easier to pick out across the table than the shape of a 1cm shiny thing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lone Goat posted:

I was going to ask if you really think someone is going to sneak an un-card into a tournament, but I remembered that I once judged a standard tournament - either provincials or regionals, so not a causal tourney - where someone was playing an illegal card that nobody noticed until round 6 or so.

(It was Stronghold Assassin which was in 7th edition but had rotated out by that point.)

I was being sincere, I don't think people will try to use un-set cards in a Legacy or Vintage tournament as a result of this change. I am also sure that they're going to print something in this set that will become expensive because it is playable in Legacy or Vintage, and people will assume (probably rightly) that it will never be reprinted because it showed up first in an un-set.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

One part making them black bordered hopefully increases the chances people will allow the un-cards in commander, one part it makes printing easier, since they can't put black and silver borders on the same sheet.

Yup, they're vintage/legacy/commander legal.

Changing how card legality is defined for tournaments to make sure it is easier for non-tournament players to play whatever cards they want in a casual format.

Seems like a sound line of reasoning for changing things.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I don't like any of this.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I initially didn't want the play historic because I was disappointed that it wasn't pioneer, then they introduced digital only cards and it turned me off even further. Then I saw that Merfolk deck posted here earlier and I thought about trying it out, but the idea of a format opening itself up to power level errata is a hard no from me.

ShaneB posted:

Pioneer is literally never coming to Arena. It's off the development roadmap.

On today's stream they said that it still planned for the "far future" :laffo:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

HootTheOwl posted:

We get it, you play modern now. :rolleyes:

Thalia is in standard now too.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Panderfringe posted:

They're going to kill standard on arena. They'll keep it in paper, since a rotating format means they make more money. Given modern's popularity I think they're going to support competitive play more than they planned to when they killed the MPL, and figure they might as well have standard in paper again. But yeah, it's gone from Arena by the end of 2022, no question. Pioneer also isn't coming to Arena, at least not the paper version. If we get anything then we're getting an "alchemy" Pioneer.

They aren't going to remove Standard from arena next year, what even is this take?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Who wore it better?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Framboise posted:

For a second I was thinking green was getting a color shifted Chains and I couldn't be more disappointed

I was mostly referring to wall of text-ness of both along with their hard to understand effects, and then later realized that they also had similar poses.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

In a lot of places, Philadelphia included, COVID case numbers are higher than they've ever been right now. My county is going through an omicron surge and despite being vaxxed I'm still not going to my lgs for magic.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

My favorite card is either Gitaxian Probe or Vines of Vastwood, I really enjoyed that point in modern that I was playing infect when it was just a deck that Tom Ross and some weirdos played.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Arcturas posted:

My favorite card as a child was Thicket Basilisk. So many dreams of attacking with it and Lure...

I have lived this dream and it is quite cool.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The Nastier Nate posted:

just downloaded mtg online after not having played it in like 5 years

did they just get rid of swiss drafts? i only see single elimination for phantom

They did change it, now all of the swiss drafts are draft leagues and you no longer play exclusively with your pod.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Arena now has it's own quirky MTGO style bug

https://twitter.com/Wizards_Help/status/1479558429513560068?s=20

Once again I am asking, how does something like this even happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I haven't played pauper in a long time, but when I did tron needed a ban back then and probably does more now.

Whatever happened to Hellsau? He used to post about pauper tron all the time.