Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm gonna put the Weatherlight into my oni-cult anvil deck and it's gonna set up my experimental synthesizer plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

A Moose posted:

How many creatures do you generally sacrifice a turn though? Also its a 5/5 flyer that doesn't do anything but scry a couple times, so if you try to sac 4 guys quickly, you end up with a 5/5 flyer on turn...4 or 5 and it just gets killed. Not a lot of payoff, even if it is something you're already doing anyway. Maybe this works with Oni Cult Anvil in standard, but beyond that, Kroxa is a better "2-drop that later becomes a threat and likes things being sacrificed"
I sac at least one a turn in a deck that's designed to grind out wins by a thousand cuts. I feel like the Weatherlight will smooth the process a lot and yes, I do only consider Standard for that, why not?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The appeal is that you can keep slamming a 2/1! Creature machine goes brrrr

EDIT: excellent 420 inauguration post

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Having a free 2/1 dude every turn that can attack with no consequences is sweet even without a sac outlet. You're playing red, you'll have access to some manner of burn spell. Every turn you're asking the opponent "does your 5/5 block my 2/1 I'm slamming in, because my 3 damage burn spell might end it afterwards?". It's great for constantly asking for decisions they don't want to keep making.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

But after they say no the first time it won't come up again because they're slamming the 5/5 into your face
Presumably you'll play other cards in your deck that can deal with the 5/5, also it's now definitely not blocking your infinite 2/1s?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sideboard in against people playing "three damage to all creatures" spells

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

If you play Magic competitively I pity you

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Nontoken clause is a massive bummer
Newest Karn weeping

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I love tribal decks and can't wait to draft then craft terrible ones

mcmagic posted:

Why? It's fun.
Only casual play is fun for me, so anybody who plays competitively clearly must be out of their minds

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

White gets a 1W 2/3 lifelinker that can 1B kicker to etb gravedig, I think it's in a fine shape in that set. Said card's not a soldier admittedly

There's excellent cheap Soldiers in Baldur's Gate as well so I'd play this dude in Alchemy no problem

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Panderfringe posted:

I feel pretty vindicated in my assessment of this set. The only constructed viable cards are for Pioneer or modern, which is appropriate since modern is the only constructed format that matters. Everything else I'll just leave behind after a draft or throw into the garbage.
What are you talking about

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

babypolis posted:

what other commons stand out besides the flying organ hoarder to you all. nothing else has grabbed my attention so far
Like, for what format? Limited, I see a lot of stuff I'd love to pick high. Standard, quite a few thing I'd put in my deck while I don't have many rares yet, and that might stay there as I develop a deck. Other formats, no clue, won't play them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The "is any common worth playing" question made me look at all of them and I made an effortpost in the arena thread. More people there talk about Limited, so I figured it would be better suited for there. I wasn't even sure what format the question applied to itt.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think a 1 mana 20/20 might be acceptable but only if it's a goblin elf

EDIT: sorry if that's a little conservative for y'all I only play standard

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

vegetables posted:

I really love the art design of Mirrodin. The actual art in the original block is horrible at times, but the plane itself is beautiful and imaginative and full of all kinds of cool stuff. Precursor Golem has one of my favourite arts of any card, a moody disco sunset over the hexagon plains. I’m still sad it all got destroyed, and it’s been over a decade now
Mirrodin was the poo poo unless you were a fool playing competitive. I made everything into an artifact with Memnarch and stole it, how cool is that?? Also all the new and reimagined races ruled.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Urza had the dickstone

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Paper should work with Wildcards like Arena does. Every Rare/Mythic is worth the same.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Fuckin rules lawyer over here stuffing three cards with same name different arts in a single sleeve, claiming it's worth 6 treasures

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody is going to play that card, but also... just put things in 3 different spots?
it's so that money-grubbing wotzy can sell officially branded space rulers to separate the zones

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Ah, so you lost to my double sleeved cheaty-face deck too?
my post came entirely from a point of admiration

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Toshimo posted:

I appreciate that they took the additional step to make sure SpJace is completely unplayable outside of limited by making him give opposing creatures counters, for no reason.
What do you mean, no reason? They're in the same sector

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

What if you arranged your cards in a pyramid. What if you made them float a foot over the table. What if you swallowed your entire board. How is Spacejace supposed to work then, huh, smartass designer? Bitch

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

There's no reason why the swap would cease to be for any reason other than the one stated on the card itself. What is this, overthinking: the set?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Devor posted:

This must require the thing using the Tap to be untapped, otherwise this just goes infinite to make infinite taps
Did you miss the "once per turn"?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Each of the two can only activate once. Please

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Maybe I'm misreading something but isn't Optimus an infinite combo with any sacrifice outlet?
It doesn't say "when it dies, transform convert to front side" in its vehicle form

EDIT: the only thing more constant than goons not reading cards is goons going "well actually" at the speed of light

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

*new player who doesn't know how the stack works voice*

Mind goblin?
DEEZ NUTS

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Okay I can't keep quiet anymore: I'm sorry. I'm the guy they pay to wipe his rear end with the cards. They will probably papercut my anus to death now that I spilled the beans, but I...I am so done with this. May your noses forgive me, because I know God won't

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I downloaded the app because it keeps saying "Gatherer works better with it" but even though I downloaded it, it still says that when I google a card and click on the result. Do they think I'm actually gonna use the app for searching cards?? That's like five more taps and it's also terrible at it

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I honestly fail to see the difference between "gun that shoots bullets" and "gun that shoots lasers" but I guess I'm not American so I don't know poo poo about guns

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Magic is fun imo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

- this is possibly the best flavor text
- what the gently caress does this even DO
- ouch oof my feet

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I didn't know Banding worked on defense! It makes slightly more sense now. How it's supposed to work after you already declared blockers remains a mystery to me tho

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Just too make it things more needlessly complicated, you don't block as a band the same way you attack as a band.

I think the game checks whether or not there's a single banding creature amongst the blockers when you'd be assigning damage, to determine who gets to assign it.
Ay lmao thx

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Transporter Malfunction, 1UR
Sorcery

Create a copy of target legendary creature you control except the copy comes into play with the name of your choice. At the beginning of your next upkeep, target opponent gains control of the copy.
Wanna use this to distribute sol'kanars

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

precision posted:

is there any way to make Karn do anything in standard? am i missing something. he seems like a really generic card

edit: i mean i guess he comboes with Jinnie Fay but there's a lot better ways to make tokens
I put him into my Anvil deck, but the issue is that he has no place in a deck which relies on Experimental Synthesizers to generate card advantage (whiffing by exiling Karn is terrible), and while getting a completely free artifact to sac each turn is nice I guess, it really doesn't rock anybody's world. The deck can protect him fairly well on the ground, but any flier fucks him up, unless you have removal which you won't because you tapped out, and if you stabilize the game to the point that you can freely cast a 4-mana-card with more up, you probably will win anyway because Anvil just grinds people down.

Artifacts tapping for damage is redundant with the Anvils too, so even getting him to his ult isn't that good. It's very much win more.

I guess I never used him to search for a second Anvil or something like that. He might be useful in a format without Deadly Dispute (I play the deck in Alchemy) to assemble all your moving parts, but again 4 mana is a bit much for that.

However, I predict that he will become much more useful in the next set, once a lot more artifacts that would be amazing to tutor up quickly, synergies to fuel with free tokens etc. will show up.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I was just saying in the discord that I can't watch right now but I might catch a video later. Uh?!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

precision posted:

I like Ashnod's hair lol
Mishraposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I can't believe that "describe your links as a courtesy" is controversial but otoh I've read even dumber arguments itt so actually I can

Even if you don't care about courtesy, describing what the link is makes it much more likely that people click it anyway