Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Oops, All Obstinate Baloth is an extremely funny deck to build if you know an 8rack player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It means other planeswalkers, Zendikar is useful for the sort of stupid mega spells that pre-mending planeswalkers love so much.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
A second pseudo-battlefield you can play creatures to, and the winner gets some sort of reward.

I keep hearing people talk about "Lanes" in other card games and I'm guessing how that works.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Excited to see a 9/10 goyf trade with a death's shadow.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
To be honest, I'm not even really sure why the New Phyrexians are evil. Wasn't that all a religion that Yawgmoth made up?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Curve into it from Tibalt for instant value.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Sorrow's Path is my favourite terrible land, it manages to bewilder you before the last few words come in and demolish your psyche.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The original wording is fine for a card from The Dark, it's just trying to make it work after 6th edition that's the problem.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Dungeon Ecology posted:

boy i really hope someone got fired for that blunder

Perhaps the billion dollar company could hire enough staff to proofread properly.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'll just be happy so long as the set is sufficiently catholic.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
How about we simplify the suggestions so far and just say

"The combo player wins automatically"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Fblthp, the Compleately Lost

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They may never unban Dark Depths, but maybe Vampire Hexmage will finally get its time to shine in Modern.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They're all on scryfall already.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

very appropriate

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Khanstant posted:

Is this any good in standard, seems like the counter would still be useful enough in shutting off common enough 2 mana non RG spells.

Looking forwards to describing this card as "effectively counterspell in Modern" and seeing how much it upsets people.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The best part of the rental programs is that you can do insanely risky short selling and end up in debt from MTGO while normal people laugh at you.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
When was the last clone that didn't get ETBs?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

precision posted:

Can tokens also meld now, then? My urza control deck just got a lot better

Meld cards and transforming double-faced Cards are separate categories, and the rule change only affects the latter.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Im at my wits end I enjoyed this game but I literally can't play I've done everything to my deck but the mana just clumps up into pockets and after about 3 or 4 games its like the problem starts over again even if I've changed my mana ive read countless comments saying this is broken and people literally just want the decks to shuffle right but nothing has changed I want this game to at least be playable.

Love the idea of switching out your lands as a sort of digital manaweaving. I miss the Arena forum, the thread for complaining about shuffling was hundreds of pages of solid gold.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Kamigawa block just happened a long time ago.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Makes me remember Pirate Stompy, that was a fun time.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Do you think they'll introduce an annual "not-rotation day" where they ban the top decks?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They made Pioneer so they could sell a Pioneer Masters product.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Ah, but can you choose tap if your opponent has hexproof?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Jabor posted:

It's awful, but just barely good enough to be playable if you don't have other options.

So long as I don't have to play Serum Visions I'm happy.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I feel like it could have gone for more at auction, I'm shocked it was a private sale.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Mike N Eich posted:

So are there no cards from WOE that people are excited/curious about to make waves in any formats? I find it notable that nobody is really talking about the new set that’s coming out soon

Personally, I never looked up what Roles do and so I don't understand half the cards.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I've been thinking about getting proxy versions of all the decks and hosting "2016 Modern night" or something.

But I'd probably spend most of the time trying to figure out what period was actually "best modern"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
A graveyard set means I have to start practicing my smuggest voice to describe cards as "basically tarmogoyf".

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The text field is what o: looks in, you're telling it to search for o:"o:":""

Just do ":" or put o:":" in the normal box.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
...our long-term vision for the format, where players can enjoy a variety of macro-strategies before losing the game

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's the prize structure, 8 packs to the winner and 4 to second place.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

HootTheOwl posted:

Lol they're all double sided

If they do enough of these then the "unsleeved all checklist cards" deck might end up vaguely playable.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Print Fyndhorn, Llanowar and Mystic in the same Standard and see what happens.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Khanstant posted:

Battlecry is what Hearthstone called it and I think that made a lot of sense, especially since every card on that game does have a literal sound effect associated with being played. Eeteebee is clunky in comparison even as an acronym and on a card takes up way too much space.

I think one word or a symbol is best for such a common effect. MtG does have battlecry, but it's a +1 token combat buff.

There are lots of things you could make one word, the problem is new players understanding them. They already have to learn what haste, trample, flying, etc. do, plus the current set mechanics (if it doesn't have the reminder text). They could get away with Mill because it's become so ubiquitous that even the players of other games use it.

You could make "search you library for X and put it onto the battlefield" Summon X and "search you library for X and put it into your hand" Find X. But it's just more stuff for beginners to mix up.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Required, even.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Khanstant posted:

A card, totally. I mean an entire set of cards, none of which those formats would be okay with because they are absolutely designed to work with others in their set and nothing else. A draft only/stan set could be a highly experimental format, they could go hog wild with extreme designs than can only work with those other designs, making a new game out of the same rules.

The real issue here is they are not going to make a product that expressly goes directly into the trash once you played with it, their whole suggestion is antithetical to their model.

So rather than a MtG set, it would be some sort of "un"set?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Red is also the colour of doing things blue does but poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

imweasel09 posted:

Are we all just conveniently ignoring sheoldred when talking about creatures that don't give immediate value when played. It's a 4 mana do nothing if you remove it when it comes it's just a complete back breaker when you don't.

It's very simple. The opponent always has a doomblade in hand, but you never draw your doomblade.