Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you can either buy a car for £100 with no ability to resell, or buy the same one for £1000 with the option to sell it at some point for £800, you're not better off with option 2 just because you can't sell the first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't think I've heard any of the arena sound effects or music since the beta . I wish you could turn off animations too

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

honestly the cards that annoy me the most (not saying they're the most powerful or anything) in standard right now are raffine and that boat. So many decks are minor variations on them, the bat, and the 4 mana flash pw.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Sunfall and Farewell being in the same standard makes go wide strats pointless and creatures a huge gamble, but "pure" control decks don't have the tools to exist so imagine two boring esper midrange piles staring at each other for at least the next 8 months and that's basically current standard

There's Depopulate too!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It would be weird for a generator to get the numbers right like that, it could also be distortion from the glass cap.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

e:nvm, doesn't deserve a response

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 7, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Probably included in the prerelease kit as a bonus. They did that with MoM. Good way to not strangle prerelease attendance with the sizable price hike.

Well drat

5 mana is a lot but there's so much here. Can't imagine that your opponent is going to have any board or life left if you untap with this in a sac deck.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pretty funny looking at the other creatures who had 8/4 stats in the past

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

In standard at least it's a bit tricky to achieve, and against the decks where it really has an impact (monocolour) they're pretty happy you've removed a bunch of dead draws for them. Probably less happy about yet another board wipe in standard but w/e.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Bat is just easier to kill Kitesail Freebooter, and Bootsy was all over standard until the day it rotated so get used to it

Or just play white, because there's a better Hushbringer in the new set

https://mythicspoiler.com/mkm/cards/doorkeeperthrull.html

Art is way worse though.

I like bat, it helps slow down all the etali/atraxa decks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sickening posted:

Its hard to cast but yeah, seems pretty good.

Instant pioneer staple. Probably one of the best cards in standard. Modern , probably pretty okay. Nuts.

I'm not sure what you'd play this with in standard - Tortoise would like to, but you have to high roll to hit Etali or w/e. Colours are rough for raffine. I guess a heavy blue deck can side it in against Big Score decks but I doubt they're happy playing into open blue mana anyway.

Works nicely with removal though once you have the mana so is pretty flexible. I'm sure it's going to be busted once someone works out the right deck.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't see why you would do that unless you really thought you could place, or valued just playing in the tournament at $100+ dollars. The prize pool is like 62% of the tickets.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They manage that just fine with the triomes and it's such a bad draw later in the game. That deck is already a bit starved for slots.

e: and it doesn't trigger beanstalk.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just drafted a pretty bad Boros deck (as in so bad I was playing morphs I could only turn face up, not cast directly) but it won games by being on the board early and attacking, going 5-3 in the end. Red Herring was an MVP.

Always hate getting wrathed in limited by rares but w/e just have to chalk them up as bad beats.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

MKM seems like a dogshit draft set from what people are saying, but there seem to be a lot of really loving fun cards in it like roots

It's OK to draft and the games can be fun, but a lot come down to who stumbles on mana first in my limited experience

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Given that there's also the rule of "if you both know what card the other person is referring to, don't angle shoot" that's a good rule. It stops angle shooting ("judge, my opponent broke the rules by picking the wrong random card when they had to name something") and also works with the rather unusual edge case of Garth One Eye.

Does that mean you're allowed to just say "4 mana sheoldred" in paper magic if you can't remember the exact name? Are you allowed to look it up if you aren't sure?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fajita Queen posted:

It reminds me of when magic formats were good. Burst lightning on a tarmogoyf? Incredible stuff.

Is goyf still played in Modern? Would it be too good for standard? I suspect it wouldn't anymore, it's just stats and there's a lot of graveyard hate.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They should reprint Casualties of War for the crimes set

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They should have abbreviated it as ETB like everyone does online

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There was some Swedish racing league where you could bring whatever, but had to sell the car to your opponent if they offered €X for it, effectively capping the amount it could cost to build. Could do something like that for arena to encourage brews that make use of underused cards (they'd never do anything like that)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Even if you made a queue that banned all the popular strategies, people are going to optimize for how to win as fast and reliably as possible by the rules of the new theoretical queue

You'd have to have like.. a queue that just constantly rotated the X most popular cards every week or something, which is sort of an interesting idea but I think would be a pain to play. I guess it's sorta the same idea as Penny Dreadful in MTGO (in theory)

I think that would be a lot of fun, make it cumulative over the course of each month or something and ban a lot of cards (the top 10 most popular cards each day). Make people really work to come up with new brews with whatever is left

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

Thinking of the old forums game where people submit three card decks, they're all played against each other and the cards in the winning deck are banned in future rounds

Wow I remember that. I think there was also a "worst deck" version (it had to beat a goldfish but lose as much as possible to everything else)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I generally agree with you on this, but I think the ship has sailed. Certainly it's dead permanently in anything bigger than standard because I think it would be pretty hard to print a creature that doesn't generate immediate value but is still playable without getting into ragavan levels of abilities on them?

I suppose you could just make cheap, huge tramplers or something but then it's kind of rough in a different way. I guess it's sort of a consequence of there being just so much good, general purpose removal all over the place now

How big would a 2, 3, or 4 mana vanilla green creature have to be to be standard playable? 2 mana is at least 4/4 right?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Really hyped to build a Kaervek deck. He lets you cast the card you discard from Bitter Triumph immediately right? Can't believe it isn't limited to instants and sorceries or something. It seems like you'd be able chain the crimes too?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sickening posted:

The mythics from the failed set they are jamming in kind of suck.

Rest in piece? It’s barely played in sideboards in any format.

Rest In Peace seems like it would be good in the sideboard against Aftermath Analyst decks, which are all over ranked standard at the moment.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's really annoying how Boseiju makes artifacts so so much worse. 0 cost to include for basically any deck that plays green and can completely blow you out.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sickening posted:

This card has been good.

I've been playing rakdos and now grixis crimes in standard, Gisa is great, tinybones and his enchantment is great, Marchesa is great. I haven't been so hot on kraevek though, it's much harder to get immediate value out of him, I'm down to just one copy. Magda is the secret MVP of the deck, she adds so much reliability. I haven't quite worked out my favourite list but it's really fun to play.

It's also funny that every version of it I've seen still run 4 copies of the stupid bat, sometimes it's the only non legendary creature in the deck!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

Kaervek is much better in eternal formats it turns out.

Huge fan of the uw pioneer mentor/Gerald deck.

Also 4-0’d the local modern weekly so I guess I’m out of retirement lol. (Also the new boots in hammer are great)

There are no UB counterspells (that I could find at least) in standard at the moment which is a pity. Being able to turn your cut downs into counterspells would be sweet

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sad not to see crimes.dec in that list.

Standard is great at the moment, loads of deck variety and esper raffine isn't that annoying to play against (as long as you remember to play around The Wandering Emperor) - it plays creatures and stuff. If the best deck was the Analyst deck or something it would be way worse*

*I can't imagine playing it myself, must be so tedious clicking through all those triggers.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I just got completely run over by a cool mono g goldvein hydra ramp deck. It had a bunch of green cards I'd never seen before and dumped so much power and toughness on the board. Probably completely folds to sunfall but not that many decks maindeck wraths.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ancient Cornucopia putting up good numbers at the PT and with 4x in a PTQ winning deck, another L for this thread.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Why does the second half of https://scryfall.com/card/neo/21/invoke-justice still resolve if the target for the first part is removed before resolution? I thought normally if a spells target was removed before it resolves the whole thing fizzles, and it says "then" which makes it seem like the second part only happens after the first is played out.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

Only if all of a targets are removed does a spell fizzle. Also, the card tries to do as much as possible. If they wanted to make it so the second half only happened if the first half happened, they would stick an "if you do" somewhere in there.

"Then" is just a way to clarify that things happen in the order written on the card. In this case it's there so players understand that you can put counters on the returned card. It doesn't make any actual difference whether it's there or not.

Thank you this explanation made sense to me.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

flatluigi posted:

I can imagine it being a theme in bloomburrow, but you should note that if that card's real it's for MH3

I'd like them to print something like that into standard, in their efforts to fill up every deck with rares for arena they've created loads of decks which use lands heavily, which are really hard to interact with. Imagine if you could move Domain's 1 mana removal spell from turn 2 to turn 3, would be sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sickening posted:

Imagine spending 3k on your legacy deck only for it to be unplayable. I proxied the city of traitors , but a non-trivial amount of paper players just flipped the table.

Maybe wotc will bail them out by printing a similar card in MH3 (at mythic rare of course)