Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

fadam posted:

According to Lore Professionals the two characters on one card is probably whoever is getting married, Thalia and Odric (this would be sick but I’m hoping for sexy vampire Thalia personally) or Alena and Halana, a pair of “sister” on two cards I’d never seen or heard of before. It could also be Gitrog and Craterhoof.

Sadly Cratehoof isn't legendary, because that's a lovely idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

If Nezumi are remotely doable I'm playing the poo poo out of them

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I guess everyone on Kaldheim was lucky it didn't take place offscreen

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The alternate art is pretty sick, too.

This gets the idea across so much better than the regular art.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Okiba Raid seems pretty alright with Ninjas. You can drop it to chip away, get a likelier Ninjutsu trigger with the creature, and then you can drop it down again for another two damage.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
No way Bloomburrow disappoints me with Rat tribal the way Kamigawa did, right?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Specific token auras seem like a small potential headache, but a headache anyway.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The only licensed wizards left I want to see in Magic are the ones from Unseen Academy.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm trying to put together a decent standard deck for Arena and with Cut Down in the format I'm not really sure what creatures they expect people to be able to play. Makes that one rant about the Chupacabra card seem quaint.

I guess it doesn't really matter, I barely have any wildcards left anyway.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 12, 2023

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is it that bad?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Some of this card art feels a bit wonky, but I guess that's what happens when you do a set based on a TV show with real people.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ooh, that's a clever way to represent radiation affecting you.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Silhouette posted:

UB design has been knocking it out of the park, these are all cool and fun designs. I definitely want those vault boy alt art cards, and the isometric basics.

Also, if Myron doesn't make Jet tokens, we riot

Gotta have Frank in as an Akroma style pile of keywords

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
People are probably way more sick of some cards printed before Appraiser so I don't know well that will go over.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Silhouette posted:

The funniest thing is that it's a murder mystery at Karlov Manor, y'know, the house owned by a woman who literally talks to ghosts

Teysa: "yo who did this poo poo, Spooks?"

Spooky Sam the Orzhov Janitor: "some dick with an azorius badge"

Well they do have a whole guild of guys based around hiding their identity, run by a shapeshifter...so obviously Selesnya will be behind it all.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I've found that the kind of deck Atraxa is in usually has cards that feel way worse to play against than the stuff Sheoldred is together with, as bad as Sheoldred also is.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Literally what is happening in this art. It looks like she's trying to kill him, but the flavour text on the showcase says she's saving him. Why is there a knife just floating in midair between them.

I actually thought the person on the card was Kaya at first because I'm used to her saying really dumb things as flavor text.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If she stays dead at least the writers can stop yanking her chain.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If you sell a playset for that amount you might be able to buy one Sheoldred.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Elblanco posted:

Probably won't see a ban though.

At this point yeah, all the really negative qualities of the card being legal have been the case long enough they obviously don't care. Not even a token Alchemy errata either.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I really wanted to play Tireless Tracker in Standard again :smith:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm really tired of Domain players keeping the greediest, most do-nothing hands and winning anyway

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't see how you're supposed to not just lose if your opponent has built Detectives in this format. Flavorful at least!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's at least W/R and W/U since Blue has a bunch of the best evasive creatures in the format and some good ways to disable blockers. I dunno how Selesnya and Orzhov are.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It does, I cast the Gargoyle using it morphed a little while ago.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
New Capenna also had stuff like old lounge singers and the construction guys, so it wasn't completely all crime stuff. Revealing that it secretly had an entire army of old-timey detectives in every color would have been silly there too, but I don't think there's anywhere that wouldn't have been a little silly.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Feels like you kinda need some corrupt government force in a Wild West set, slides really nicely into White or Black the same way outlaws do Red.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
e: oh it's Pioneer, my comment is meaningless

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Not sure that's going to catch on.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
People would definitely just pivot to Depopulate if Sunfall got hit, but that's a much weaker card that can give your opponent resources, and there are instants that make sure at least one creature can ignore destroy effects.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I could see people wanting saddle since so many creatures are things riding other things.

It's probably one of the zombie twins, but I wouldn't put it past them to stick a cowboy hat on the Gitrog Monster with the way the set's looking.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

reignonyourparade posted:

Topiary stomper doesn't exist in decks where "just attack with topiary stomper" is part of the gameplan RIGHT NOW, but there were points in it's standard lifespan where it was the case. "You can't really play it honestly" is more a statement on the current meta.

Yeah, when it's in the same deck as Battle for Zendikar it's definitely not the card I point to with that kind of accusation.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What's Sunfall doing now that would get it banned, more of the same?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is the next ban announcement soon? Aftermath Analyst really isn't fun to play against.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Then how are you meant to interact with it if you're not in white?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

fadam posted:

There are plenty of non-white pieces of yard hate, plus you can counter the analyst, pull it out of their hands, win before they can dump six mana into the cast + activation etc. If nobody sounds particularly sympathetic it's because this is the best Standard has been in a long rear end time and we rarely get a deck as fun or combo-y as these Analyst decks.

I honestly didn't get that vibe since I did ask questions and got fair answers. I also feel like there's a reason standard doesn't usually get decks like this though!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You can already get a turn two or three kill if you get a good hand with the Proliferate goblin, can't you? Slickshot will definitely be annoying, and you'll probably see him a lot in Izzet Phoenix, but I don't think he's bannable.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

A Moose posted:

What makes green so good this set anyway? This isn't the first set to have 6/6s. Is it the rare 4 mana 6/6 flash?

Their commons are just crazy in practice, and play really well with everything you can splash Green into. A lot of their creatures are big which helps with Saddle, obviously 4 power creatures are a whole archetype, a bunch of them have plot, and stuff like Cactarantula is really good to reanimate.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Esper only really feels unbeatable when they get to untap with Raffine, and that's gone in six months. Otherwise it's just the same 'side in duress, play two-for-one creatures, have Cavern of Souls' play pattern, which is boring but not this format's fault.

e: oh yeah Wandering Emperor is gone soon too, hooray

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It'd be nice to be able to keep a risky hand and get rewarded like every single Domain player does