Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Played in the local prerelease and ended up going 1-2 with a black-white deck. My synergy came from Jadar, Dreadhound, the black adversary, and then some of the white creatures that care about creatures ETB or leaving the field. Also Adeline.

It was okay, but I didn’t have a ton of removal in my packs and I tended to get steamrolled but any opponent that ran any kinds of werewolves. Turns out playing cheap creatures and then having them transform into big beasts is pretty powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

fatherboxx posted:

my prerelease kit had foil moonveil regent and the big demon; two mythics nice; shop got us set boosters as a bonus, opened a black commander rare in it
most people at the event ran Rx piles, turning creatures sideways works, who knew
tracking day/night in paper was easier than I thought

I kept loving up and letting day turn to night while fighting werewolves. You’d think I’d have learned my lesson after the first time, but no.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Silhouette posted:

The Celestus is a great pickup no matter what you're doing in MIH draft, because it either enables your wolves or shuts off your opponent's

Yeah, I had one in my sealed prerelease packet and just totally ignored it since my deck barely interacted with the day/night cycle.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Darkoni posted:

They kind of have that for death triggers. Isn't 'death' just 'a creature is destroyed and is moved to the graveyard'? It more or less works because of people's understanding of the relationship between living things, death, and graveyards. But despite the mechanics of the game working the same way other permanents can't die. Artifacts and enchantments aren't living things and planeswalkers just gtfo. So it's easy to understand what dies means in the context of the rules, I think.

I think why they don't keyword ETB is that there is a benefit to bluntly state the rules and context for such a common and simple trigger. Does etb go back to alpha? If it does it's probably a hold over from that. They also recently keyworded mill so it could be just a matter of time too.

I looked it up because I did not remember ETB being a thing back in the olden days.

Sure enough, it was first introduced in Portal, then added to main-set Magic in Visions, and fully replaced the phrase “comes into play” in Magic 2010.

E: beaten badly lol

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

The man got an English Masters degree, let him grift to allow him to make money to pay off this costly and foolish mistake.

Source: I also got an English M.A., lol

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

These rule though.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Those are dope as hell.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

I find it extremely funny that even with all the updates, it still says that red redirects damage to planeswalkers.

Classic red ability, been around since Alpha.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

CrokeyZ sucks and you should play what you want at all times.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

I go one step further by being a horrible magic player

:cool::hf::cool:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

meanolmrcloud posted:

Remove keyword ability from target creature.

Yeah, there are cards that strip all abilities from creatures, but is this one of those weird cases where a specific ability is removed that has never specifically been targeted before? Seems possible.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

New mechanic : cleave

What does it do?

O, The Pelican as a Magic mechanic.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Blood token: 1, Tap, Discard a card to draw a card

I believe you also have to pay 1 life.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Ah, somehow sacrificing it became losing one life in my head. Anyway.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

fadam posted:

Everything looks cool and I like Cleave a lot but holy poo poo that Sorin has to be one of the most underwhelming planeswalkers of all time lol

Dorothea sucks but is getting slammed into my Geisties Angels EDH pile.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Just realized that a lot of the people who post in MTG threads also post in CSPAM (myself included) Wonder what the correlation is

MTG is our only safe haven from vlogs.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

And will be curled regardless :(

Last couple of sets’ fools have actually held up really well.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Well, the safest bet in the entire world is that there will be a Murder equivalent with Cleave. The non-cleave version will have targeting restrictions, and the Cleaved version won’t.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Feel like that’s about as obvious as you could’ve made that card without changing the name to like “Big-Time Lesbians” or something.

Especially that alt-art. Goddamn it looks nice and has some incredibly cool gay energy.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

That’s Teferi’s mom and his sister. He reversed time to visit them when they were young.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Ah ok there’s your thing to sac to Geralf.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

That wolf pup should have indestructible. It’s too cute to die.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

He’s expensive, but I sure do like that slug.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Stick it in Strixhaven and change “Wolf” to “Spirit” and it would fit right in.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Regular forums user Yawgmoth has passed away. Found out via a post in the Minneapolis thread after he missed D&D one night. I know he was a regular poster in this thread so I figured anyone who knew him has a right to know.

:smith: That sucks. RIP to a dude who seemed like a good human.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Can't say back in the early days of Magic I ever thought I'd see a black card just called "Wedding Security."

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Really appreciate the art for Catlike Curiosity using the ghostly strands to make it look like a cat nose and whiskers on that person’s face.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

th3t00t posted:

It's Elvish Piper pupper

edit: Reminds me of the summer or 8th grade boy scout camp when I traded a Gaea's Cradle worth $20 at the time for Piper, Thorn Elemental and Verdant force, who were all about $8.

You either stop playing Magic after a while or play long enough to see yourself regret an old trade that you made.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Sickening posted:

Opening a pack and pulling this card is going to feel TERRIBLE.

I’ll be guaranteed to get like five copies of this card.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

As a someone who very much wants to build a casual werewolf tribal deck, this is a card that makes me say “yes.”

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

“Zombies with huge asses” is an interesting theme for a set.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What does the guy on the left do?

He’s a spoiler for the next “Un-“ set, Unlikable.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Wow Odric sucks now.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Academy Manufactor that also makes Blood tokens when

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A kid at FNM last night opened up a foil extended art meathook massacre from one of his price packs fuuuuuuuu

Have the police checked the dumpster behind your FLG yet

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

waffles beyond waffles posted:

Don't know about the tips. Maybe ask around when there? Last time I had cards signed was around Ice Age, at an LGS.

I love this Plains and I’m really happy I have one.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Does anyone know of a Modern legal card like Melt Down? I'm looking for a cheap way to kill multiple artifacts at once.

Closest I can think of is By Force, which isn’t nearly as good.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

fadam posted:

This seems great in Najeela.

When did Wizards start leaning into this particular mechanic? I feel like there’s a card or two in all of the recent sets that lets you do something like this.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Since it gives your creatures that ability until the end of turn, does that mean after the turn you can’t play the exiled cards anymore?

The whole quoted text is the ability, so yeah when your creatures lose that, you lose your vector for playing them, so the cards just stay in exile forever (I’m pretty sure).

E: well I guess I could be completely wrong, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I really need to find the binder of remaining rares at my parents' house. I'm wondering what I still might have, I sold a lot of the good stuff like my revised duals but I know I had at least one Serra's Sanctum

Hope you find yourself a Gaea’s Cradle.