Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The trailer looks pretty dumb, but you can't really tell anything from a trailer. I reread the series a few years ago, and I enjoyed it well enough (although I remember it getting pretty weird towards the end and I'm not sure if I ever read the prequels) but it never struck me as the sort of thing that would make for good TV. I'm guessing they're going to change a lot (or just make a bunch of stuff up) because the books don't really provide a huge amount to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

sure okay posted:

As an example, I can easily assume those 2 warring planets used some FTL to arrive for their diplomatic talks. Makes sense that the Empire lets them do that, sure. But then, doesn't that mean the Empire contracts that tech out to them for other stuff? Also, doesn't that imply that Day can easily take that tech away from any planet in order to effectively quarantine them from the rest of the Empire for as long or as little as he likes? Seems like a more reasonable plan of retaliation over, say, genocide of innocents.
It's a show of force. He tells Dawn that the people are afraid; so he's trying to convince them that this could never happen again - because who would dare, having seen the consequences?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

It looks like Dusk when he was Day was probably afraid to act agressively to squash any issues that may arise, probably in some misguided attempt to preserve and enjoy the peace. As a result, current Day is going way overboard with authoritarian measures and violent retribution which is going to accelerate the collapse.
I didn't get that impression at all. The way Day reacted when Dusk spoke to the diplomats suggested that this was a change in Dusk's attitude and behaviour, not how he'd always been. And when Dawn asked the robot how often Empire chooses the harshest option, she said "every time", which suggested to me that when Dusk was Day, he did the same kind of thing and so did all his predecessors, and most likely so will Dawn and all his successors. That seemed like it was establishing that the point of the three emperors was that Dawn learns to be Day and Day is replaced before he can turn into Dusk, and that it works as intended.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EvilElmo posted:

I have no idea whats happening in this show.

I'll stick with it though. Glad it has a thread on here so maybe people can explain what the gently caress is happening..
A scientist, Hari Seldon, used his revolutionary new science to predict that the galactic government would fall. The head of that government (who is a clone) didn't want to hear that but there was a terrorist attack that seems to confirm it, so he banished Seldon and all his friends to the farthest edge of the galaxy to write an encyclopaedia. On the way, Seldon was murdered and his assistant thrown off the ship for reasons, as yet, unknown. When they get to their destination, there's a weird artefact there that no one can get near.

Decades pass. There's now a woman who can go near the artefact. No one knows why. One of the nearby planets has taken some threatening actions and the scientists find they can't contact the empire for help.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Penitent posted:

He must be a moderator for r/startrek now because I was banned just for saying that TNG's writing was better than Star Trek: Picards
For wasting everyone's time by stating the blindingly obvious?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Am I crazy or do I remember that it’s A Thing that they can make copies of consciousness and upload them to a new body in case one dies?

If so, why don’t they just use a continuous memory thing so that the current emperors have all the memories of the previous emperors?
I think the idea is that you don't have the complete stagnation of a single person in charge forever, but the stability of having someone very similar and taught by the previous emperor, so any changes would be slow and small. Maybe?

Mokotow posted:

Someone pls explain how did Gale meet the Mule… did she travel in time via prime numbers? I didn’t get that scene and also was not paying attention.
All you need to understand is that you're watching two shows at once: one of them is about the decline of a doomed empire, and the other is about space wizards. In this case, some people are psychic and their memories work in both directions and across generations, so they can remember things that happened to their ancestors and things that will or might happen in the future. Don't expect anything in the space wizard show to make sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Eiba posted:

This version also doesn't look goofy.

He definitely does. He wouldn't look out of place in something like Farscape, but here he looks ridiculous.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 23, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Penitent posted:

Is that in the books??
Safe bet that nothing happening in the show this season is from the books, I reckon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

How does this specific alliance benefit empire?
They get to reclaim the stuff this other royal family now owns, which used to be part of the one big unified galactic empire.

theblackw0lf posted:

How does having actual children help fix the lineage issue that has been caused by the divergence of the clones?
I think he's just decided it's a lost cause, since they now know the clones are all different, so there's no point keeping it going.

Eiba posted:

I'm especially confused why Dawn is even vaguely okay with this.
Maybe he'd rather be a prince his whole life, living in luxury with no responsibilities, than become emperor? Or maybe he actually isn't ok with it but he doesn't have any way to stop it so he's just pretending, possibly with the intent to sabotage it later?

Eiba posted:

Not sure what role Lee Pace will have in this show if Empire isn't central to galactic affairs.
Not sure who'd want to watch this show if Lee Pace isn't in it any more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Resdfru posted:

Fair enough. Obviously I think (potentially) spoiling the show because lol it's dumb anyways is lame but if I'm in the minority then so be it.
I don't give a poo poo about spoilers, but it does often annoy me that people insist on discussing source material in threads specifically about adaptations, just because it's not what I came to talk about.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also how did Jared Harris go from a real body in E3 to whatever he is here? A matrix construct?
Magic.

Penitent posted:

Something I am unclear about is the level of technology Hari used to initially set up the whole plan.
They've been (intentionally) extremely vague about technology outside of a few specific examples.

DaveKap posted:

The nonplussed way that 4th dude enters the vault and is just like "I let someone else be in charge" with absolutely no "you've been in here for hours and I got worried about my daughter" and no "let's try to go back out, get a rope, make sure we have supplies, and make sure nobody is worried about how long it's taking us to be in here" is just.... hilarious.
The time difference went the other way. It should have been way, way longer for the people inside than the people outside; Hober was in there for two days in the brief time it took for Constance and Poly to follow him. Kind of implies that Sermak basically pointed at someone, yelled "you're in charge now" and sprinted in after them. :roflolmao:

Eiba posted:

It was a future written in a time before computers. It never made sense. Later awkward attempts to explain it were very inconsistent. Foundation just takes place in a future where humans settle the whole galaxy, because Asimov could imagine that, but without computers, because it was the 40s and he could not imagine that. "Atomics" are the pinnacle of material technology in the original Foundation trilogy, though social sciences/math have some pretty fantastical extrapolations in psychohistory.
I think it's the first Foundation book where there's a little section on this amazing new piece of technology that is a 3D space map. A character is marvelling over the fact that you can see the locations of stars relative to each other, which just reminded me, when I read it, of Universe Sandbox. :haw:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Is the winged creature that the monk was riding around the organic computer that does the FTL calculations for their ship?
That was my assumption but I don't think they actually said so.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

There is no psychic child god or god at all. Those people are just psychics and people mistaken them as gods. The child god was just a projection, smoke and mirrors.
And a completely pointless one. The real leader said she wanted to observe them while they thought they were talking to someone else, but she can literally read their minds. What additional information could she possibly get from very briefly observing them? And why did the fake god have no shadow? It was, presumably, a psychic projection so shouldn't it have looked as real as their minds could make it? Or was it an actual hologram for some reason, even though they'd have no need of such technology?

stephenthinkpad posted:

How does the original emperor "wake up", you mean Demerzel flashes the extra large firmware into Day's brain and he becomes Cleon 1.0? And after he finishes his job Demerzel restores Cleon 14 or whatever back?
Or the stored version of him that Dawn and Dusk talked to?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They're clones and their name is Cleon which is just the word clone very slightly rearranged
The funny thing is, the name is from the book but in the book he's not a clone. He's just the emperor at the time Seldon was developing psychohistory.

Penitent posted:

Does Empire also have technology to do null fields and to store human consciousness inside of objects like the prime radiant or Seldon's crypt?
They have the technology to store human consciousness. We saw that when Dawn and Dusk talked to Cleon I.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, I’m guessing it’ll be a HAL-like situation where she has a secret directive that starts to conflict with her started directives of keeping the 3 amigos alive and safe.
When Dusk asked her about keeping things from him and Dawn, she said she serves "Empire", not an individual, but it felt like a very carefully worded answer to me, implying that she might not mean what he thought she meant (ie. that she serves the three currently living Cleons).

Eiba posted:

Of course the Foundation is reviving the old technology that used computers, rather than psychics (assuming Spacers are psychic), so they end up with some more flexibility.
I'm still assuming the animal that Constant left with Mallow when he took the spaceship is the thing (psychic or not) that allows the FTL to work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Presumably because, yeah, that's as real as they could make it. The fake boyfriend also had flaws (the weight inconsistencies) but those flaws are easily overlooked by most observers thanks to psychic manipulation.

The weight thing makes sense (aside from all the completely reasonable explanations that Salvor and Gaal came up with at the time) because the computer was reporting the guy's stats accurately since it had no mind to be manipulated by the psychics. The shadow is different because it should be just as easy to make an illusion of a shadow as it is to make an illusion of a solid body to cast the shadow. The only explanation is that whoever was controlling the illusion somehow forgot shadows are a thing and didn't include one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

We are thinking about this harder than the writers but I thought that Day seemed to realize he was destined to be forgotten as he was almost swapped out for a replacement unceremoniously and no one would have ever known. A disposable clone in a series of disposable clones. Using the marriage to become a new Cleon The First Of Something seemed like a valid motivation over just backstabbing an outspoken rival for territory.

This would make the current Day important and memorable for ages as the last Cleon or first king of the new dynasty. The original Cleon started the genetic dynasty for the same reasons and it's only maintained by complete selfless dedication to continuance but the current Day explained he felt fear for himself at the first ever assassination attempt. It would make sense that he doesn't want to get flushed down a space toilet with the status quo as is tradition.
Also, he outright said in the last episode that he's doing it to avoid Seldon's prophecy that the clone emperors would lead to the downfall of the empire (or whatever the actual wording was). No more clone emperors, prophecy undone, empire survives. Easy! That was my favourite bit of the episode.

Owling Howl posted:

Yeah I don't think this is a show that kills off main characters. Salvor will be saved at the last moment and Seldon is a robot. Alternatively their deaths are the catalyst that makes Gaal achieve her final form, she purges the cult and declares herself queen of the ashes.
My guess: The whole visit to the psychic planet is a prophetic vision of the future and never happened, so now they'll be able to avoid it, thus proving that they can change the future and whichever one of them was going to die in the future actually won't. :haw:

(I can't remember which one is Gaal and which Salvor because I basically stop paying attention whenever the show is following them because their subplot is terrible and I'm just waiting to for the show to get back to literally anyone else)