Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I think the release all at once model has broken folks' brains. Similar thing happened in the discourse for Season 2 of Ted Lasso, so many "why isn't this plot point resolved NOW!?" complaints that looked silly in retrospect of the full season. I think similar will happen here: it's story that's trying to setup a ton of different plotlines. I think there can be some quibbling about the execution, but I know I'm on board for at least a season. There's some good small touches, the overall concept of a long-running story is intriguing, and we'll most likely see Jared Harris again which will be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
i can't tell if the comments are being sincere or not

I just hate that form of intro. Could be any space show. Hell if I didn't know any better, it could be for The Expanse. I skip it every time.

Do we have a name for this style of "vaguely related objects and unidentifiable people with swelling music and floating credits" intro?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I’m trying to figure out his handler’s role in all of this. what’s that guy’s deal

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Also it seemed clear that he could choose anyone he wanted, lots of dudes in that garden of concubines

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Foundation 2.0

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

stephenthinkpad posted:

What's next, Hari hacking the Matrix?

Pretty sure the sound cues for Gaal realizing she can know the future were pulled straight from the scene where Neo can finally see the Matrix.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Mokotow posted:

New depth for Demerzel was interesting. There’s potential there.

<snip>

As much as I love the three Cleons, this plot line was evolving to an interesting conclusion and then they just decant three new ones. Oh, okay. Unless these characters are going to evolve significantly - like have their genetics deteriorate so badly that in 160 years

I think you’re missing two interesting bits here. First we have a rogue Empire with its own lineage out in space.. That will surely come back to setup a conflict about who has power.

Plus Demerzel is different now. Both from our perspective as the audience, but also she now has the prime radiant and may use it as tool to impact and improve Empire. Plus how will she reconcile her programming when there are two equally valid claims to the Throne?

Lastly Empire no longer has access to jump technology via Spacers. Maybe they will get their own whisper ships, but the decline will happen faster now as the outer planets are literally unreachable.

Overall, lots of tied up storylines (some a bit too handwavy) but I’m excited to see where they go now. Season 1 set the table, season 2 was the feast.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t get it why did gale have to keep mind melding with Hari after he escaped and faked his death?

I think she needed to do it until he was far enough away from the rest of the mentalics, otherwise they would have been able to hear his thoughts.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Watch the Empire sections of Season 1 at least, and also Gaal + Seldon in the latter episodes.

I started reading the first book and, boy! I like it, but it’s very different. The creators of the show said they have read the books a lot, so I trust there’s a long term reason for having such a diversion, especially for Seldon continually to be an active participant rather than just having a few recorded messages.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Finished the first book, and it’s funny to me that it keeps saying stuff like this:

“This is a Seldon crisis we’re facing, and Seldon crises are not solved by individuals but by historic forces. Solutions to the various crises must be achieved by the forces that become available to us at the time.”

a criticism I often saw from book fans about the show was this idea that it highlighted the actions of individuals too often to solve these crises. Yet the book can be summed up as “Salvor Hardin and Hober Mallow solved crises by being the lone voice of reason and taking huge risks”.

That said, I do accept that there is a lot more “messing with the plan” thanks to Gaal and Seldon being actively involved in the story, but that’s probably necessary to keep the audience’s attention through a long running show, versus a series of short stories as it was originally conceived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It was funny going back through the podcast about the show and it felt like every other episode was some story like “we did this elaborate shoot on one remote island in the Canary Islands. The other half of the scene was another island in the Mediterranean off the coast of Greece, so we had make it look like the first island by bringing in tons of black sand”

So yeah, this news tracks. It’s probably going to be more green-screen / Volume too. Hopefully there’s still the same level of attention given to it; it seems Goyer has a well thought out plan for the overall show.