Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Psycohistory is a flawed concept, it's meant to be. That's Asimovs thing, he takes a sci fi concept and writes short stories where he figures out the cracks in the concept.

I think you’re on to something here. To reflect Asimov’s approach, this should be a series of short, half episode stories, each tackling a unique problem under an overarching theme, with key characters either not related to each other at all, or at least very loosely. We have the multiple storylines and time hopping but nothing on the scale seen in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The upside here is the 2nd and 3rd seasons usually improve significantly, and there’s a strong foundation (:grin:) in place for that to happen.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Once again the adventures of the Cleons prove superior to the other plots.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Well then we wouldn’t know, would we

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

She had a kid though.

Oh that’s easy, implanted memories.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Let’s take a look at the writing staff for this stinker.

Co-creator Josh Friedman wrote for the TV adaptation of Snowpiercer, which I remember being fine, and the TV version of Terminator, which… wasn’t. He also wrote on the last Terminator film.

Co-creator David S. Goyer wrote on the Nolan Batman films, Call of Duty and a bunch of other comics properties.

Story editor Sarah Nolen has little to no experience, aside from a stint on The Americans.

Executive story editors Olivia Purnell’s sole other credit is American Gods.

Of the other few writers, Victoria Morrow wrote on Weeds and Deadwood.

I suspect most of the interesting stuff comes from Marcus Gardley, who is both a playwright and who write a fair number of indie movies. Honestly, it seems the writing team is just not up to standard compared to the rest of the production.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

As a Foundation thing, last episode, as all the others in the season, was bewildering poo poo. As a self-standing SF series, fine, whatever, much better than season 9 was and, save for Hari, Hardin and Gaaaal, sets up an almost clean slate for season 2.

Having said that, I absolutely despise the Gaal voice over rambling speech, as it reminds me of exactly the same crap they've had Michael do in Discovery. It feels like I'm listening to a teenage girl's journal.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Trantor in the book had over a million foundation citizens during the first crisis. The season’s final scene had the citizens of Trantor, plus armies of two alien worlds in front of the vault. It looked like 20 people tops. I just can’t get over that for some reason.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

500 million of what

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You must mean Terminus.

Trantor had a population of 40 billion, which makes 1500 people disappearing even less of a thing.

Well spotted - yes, I meant Terminus!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So I never fully got this part - who caused space 9/11? Was it Hari, Demerzel or it just doesn’t matter?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

WOT is much closer to the base material, for one. It doesn’t even compare to Foundation.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hari emerges from the vault, and gestures towards the gathered Goons from the Foundation thread.

"Congratulations on surviving the first crisis. I'm happy to say, we foresaw great things for this show and we were proven right!"

Confused Goons look at each other.

"In fact, we received numerous awards for a coherent plot, believable characters and truly innovative world building" - he continues.

"Something's wrong. He's talking about another future!" - cries a Goon - "We're hosed hosed!". The rooms erupts into chaos.

"I'm happy to tell you we will now embark on a continuation of out adventures - films, an MMO and a new series of Foundation books..."

Room erupts into chaos, people jump out the windows, etc.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That could very well be the case, but, as if with the other worldbuilding questions, the show just doesn’t care enough to talk about any of this.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m rereading the first Foundation book and I can literally see the writers skimming through it and , after the first chapter, just writing down buzz words.

Mhmm yes… Salvor Hardin … Anacreon… crisis, vault thingy… great hunt… derelict battlecruiser… right, think I’ve got enough to get this season out the door by Monday.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Also, coming off hot from two robot novels, Asimov’s habit of having character exclaim! poo poo constantly is irritating. The man had his writing style, that’s for sure, and it’s not very good, I think. drat fine futurist, though.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I'm surprised Hari didn't say "I predicted the Huntress losing her eye and that you'd defeat her by coming in from her blind side with a right hook" as everyone looks on in confusion.

He just couldn't predict their names, because psychohistory doesn't deal with individuals.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Oh they seem to be further in with the filming then I’d expect.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I liked the world building of the series. Sure, we only got to a see a very limited number of worlds and people from a Universe numbering hundreds of millions of unique planets, but places like creepy sinking planet, Trantor or heck, even Terminus and the Desert jesus hiking planet were neat.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I enjoyed the first episode of the new season. It was clear midway through season o e this has very little to do with the books and would probably be better off as a stand alone story, but I feel this thread makes a good point about why that isn’t the case in the end.

Even the fight scene was fine, because it made sense in the story and was poo poo well - this is in stark contrast to the pew pew scenes from last season which were pointless filler.

I think they could highlight a bit better that more than 130 years have passed and we’ve had like 4 middle Cleons in between the XII and XVII and the galaxy has moved on - the exposition dialogue was weak on this. Pace is great and he’s really pulling the show.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The Gail/Seldon/Hardin line is consistently the least interesting. I really liked the Foundation magicians, though! It brings the book to life at least a bit there. I also like the casting for the Trantor crew. Cleon plotline was a bit understated today. Hey, episode wasn’t bad!

…except the useless Hardin action scene unblocking thrusters. We all know they’ll unblock it and fly away. Why waste time and resources to show this? It’s like they have a studio exec on set who keep submitting notes that boil down to “we need a shootout!”.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Someone pls explain how did Gale meet the Mule… did she travel in time via prime numbers? I didn’t get that scene and also was not paying attention.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I thought I heard it in the episode and wasn’t sure, so I went back and checked… The Cleric says he’s the only one alive who has seen the previous Vault opening with Seldon, and if you go back, he’s actually there as a kid in season 1, which makes him 150 years old. They never mention people living that long anywhere, do they? He doesn’t look a day over 60 anyhow.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

sure okay posted:

I never read the books and I don't know who this Mule guy is but his show representation is goofy as gently caress with his dumb Dr Robotnik glasses and Iron Man blaster that doesn't even kill when hitting the target.

"But he didn't want to kill he wanted info" well the show says he failed there too. Also we didn't see him kill anyone just a bunch of Terminator walking.

This show has a blank check budget it doesn't know what to do with, and I think as a metacommentary about how Apple is sort of sighing dejectedly going, "I think we made too much money" is way more interesting than the show itself.

Multi-Cleon is still a fun ride but LOL at that dinner party laying it all out. Nu-Cleopatra is basically the audience pointing out all the massive holes in all of Empire's plans (or divergence from plans). What IS Brother Dawn gonna do exactly? Twitch stream? Maybe shoulda thought of that beforehand?

Hard to talk about this without spoilers but you shouldn’t really (light spoiler) read too much into how the Mule looks.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I mean that’s fine in essence, but as it stands, two out of three of the plots are a bit poo poo.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It was fun. I enjoyed it.

The shot with Gail and Seldon walking on sand and only her leaving footprints was great. Planet mined out 3000 years ago by huge robotic excavators is some strong hard sci-fi poo poo that also fits the foundation universe.

Salvor kinda sucks :shrug:

Who was the tomb lady again?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So as I understand it, tomb lady is an android and she place Seldon’s consciousness into an android body, right?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

These outer colonies own hard. Last week it was Medieval Roswell, this week it's Nazis vs The Scarlet Pimpernel.

loving love this season. This show is wild.

Oh yeah! That whole Hober Mallow part of the story was surprisingly entertaining.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Spoilers make sense for shows based on modern books, like the Silo series. Here we’re talking about 50 year old books. Wheel of Time is a bit if an edge case - it’s not that old but most everyone has read it. It does stray from the source material, though, though not as mich as Foundation.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Okay, yes, that was pretentious, but then we also got wonderful and silly jokes, like “How long was in there?”, “We’ve been waiting two years!”.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Obviously they need a musical episode now.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Demerzel’s little gently caress wink to Cleon was pretty great.

Lee Pace continues to be great.

It’s good to have more Jarred Harris on screen.

Whichever shop is responsible for the CGI, they’re doing a top notch job. Even little shots are super sharp and detailed.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

alexandriao posted:

I mean c'mon, as a woman i am finding it hard to be invested and relate to the only two leads that are women, how do you gently caress up writing characters that badly lmao

Poorly written female characters are an Asimov trademark

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Maybe he knew how but robot lady really did it for him and the princess didn’t

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Last episode was fine. It’ll be really surprising if Seldon doesn’t do a robo-jesus. I also enjoy the flying priests adventures. I think the visual worldbuilding is great in this show, with a few misfired here snd there - think the Cleon’s throne room and the First Foundation planet. But then we get the cool Colosseum and the nifty spacer space ship - neat!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I really like this season so far but this episode was a bit of a stinker

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Have you seen the recent discourse around ai

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

All that plus they have a huge height difference

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

LinkesAuge posted:

Ya and it would be a typical example of (modern) SciFi writing in TV. It makes your setting look small because everything has to connect back to a single point in your story for some cheap mystery/"twists", not to mention that it once again goes against the whole theme of Foundation. A book written about the large scale effects of society/history. But then you create a TV show that already feels rather "empty" (and not like an empire consisting of trillions and trillions and citizens including countless worlds) and where everything in the story leads back to a few hand selected people throughout history. The rest of the universe might not even exist so little do they seem to matter.

Ah, the Star Trek method where the whole universe revolves around the 30 people crossing each others’ paths non stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The gravel pit outside of Vancouver, to be exact