Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

mr. unhsib posted:

My theory for Gaal Dornick is that (book spoiler) they've merged that character with Wanda Seldon and she will be the nucleus of the Second Foundation.

In the books the Second Foundation is set up as the "opposite" of the First Foundation, in the sense that their power and influence are entirely based on telepathy and mind-manipulation, rather than physical science. And we have seen absolutely nothing like that in the show so far.

Granted, the show has already gone off the book-rails, so I guess anything is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
"Insulting"? lol

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
the other problem with the "gaal will set up the second foundation" theory is that second foundation was located on... trantor

but again, the show vs the books etc.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Individual actions clearly do matter for psychohistory, since they are how the prophecies get realized. It's just that psychohistory cannot predict them, and doesn't have to because it's about the big picture. The things it prophesizes come true one way or another.

If it weren't for the Space Bridge getting blown the gently caress up, it may have been some other event, such as nukes getting denotated at major population centers across the planet. This means that the terrorists' bombs malfunctioning and failing to explode doesn't derail the Seldon Plan, just like Gale turning left instead of right wouldn't have.

Thorn Wishes Talon fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 16, 2021

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
One of the big themes in the books is Foundation creating a fake religion called Scientism and exerting enormous influence on the Four Kingdoms via its priests, who tend to the technology it shares with each kingdom. If the show brings that into the fold, it would be ironic — imagine Gale, whose own planet created a religion to ban math and science, comes up with the concept of creating a religion of math and science...

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
If there is one person who can set up the Second foundation, it is Salvor, since she's the one who has displayed strong psychic abilities when she "saw" the details of what the Anecreon leader had suffered.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Yes, here, I have a complaint to make. Why does a post apocalyptic civilization living on Waterworld build their houses and the struts out of wood? Where did they even get the wood? Are we, the viewers, to actually believe that this is some kind of magic "non-rotting wood"?

The Empire may have supplied them the wood...

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

There is apparently dry land still. The father mentions having to go further to do some farming due to the water rising.

I thought he said "to find green"

Which could mean anything, right?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is, they described it as a "flak" cannon, right? And yet it took a single projectile to bring down an entire jumpship.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

D-Pad posted:

My guess is that the religious crisis gets worse and the empire is unable to respond to their lost ship even though they want to. Basically the start of the empire losing the ability to police/control the outer reaches.

I thought the Huntress lady explained that Anacreon is technologically bankrupt, and their only means of getting revenge for the Empire's attack on their homeworld is to use a navigation module from one of their ships.

My guess is that they will use it to attack Trantor directly. Such an attack would probably catch the Empire unawares and (book stuff) establish a reasonable basis for the "Four Kingdoms" to break off from the Empire and become an independent entity.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

feedmegin posted:

'Hari said the entire galaxy can pivot around the actions of an individual' no he bloody didn't, its the exact opposite of what he said. Psychohistory works precisely because this is NOT true!

Nah. Psychohistory cannot predict the actions of individuals, but it is clearly dependent on them. Since it is math, changing the value of a single variable can have vast consequences.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

feedmegin posted:

Then it doesn't work. The entire point is that with a large enough body of people individual decisions don't matter in the long run. Otherwise the Cleons could do <x> and avoid the fall of the Empire for example. This is clearly explained both in the first episode and the first book. You cannot predict events centuries into the future if your maths can be derailed that way.

Bolded the key qualifier. Individuals clearly have the ability to have substantial effect on the predictions of psychohistory. Seldon said that the collapse of the Empire could be postponed by hundreds of years by simply ending the Cleon cloning program. Establishing the Foundation would shorten the upcoming dark ages by literally thousands of years. Sure, the events still eventually happen, but it's simply false to claim that individual actions don't matter at all like CainFortea said. The entire galaxy can indeed pivot around the actions of individuals.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

feedmegin posted:

:rolleye: I don't think that's what they meant there like at all, but sure fine.

I mean okay, but who cares? It's not like the trader guy is going to be the foremost authority on what the Seldon Plan is or what it says. He's not even part of the Foundation, as far as I can tell. So quoting him and then going "well no, that's wrong, wow!" is just pedantic, and comes across as looking for things to take issue with.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
My point is that "the entire galaxy can pivot around the actions of an individual" is not a false statement. I gave two prominent examples.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Two things I enjoyed about this episode:

Salvor aimbotting like crazy while the Anacreon dudes just taking regularly aimed potshots at her is a subtle demonstration of Foundation's technological superiority, and Brother Day revealing that he's the first in the lineage to have colorblindness is a subtle sign of Empire's technological superiority starting to fade.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i love how the botanist girl is apparently so well-connected in the underground that she knows where to get brother dawn's various advanced tracking tech disabled

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i finished the show

i wish i hadn't because god drat that was some C-tier poo poo

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

Don't worry, you aren't done; there's another episode left!

dammit

DAMMIT

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Even looking at the images posted, I still can't see what Dawn was freaked out by.

he could originally see only three of the birds Dusk painted, then he put on the magic thingies and could see all six

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i still dont understand why the botanist girl tried to kill Dawn if the goal was always to tie him onto a chair and suck out his nanobots

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
whoever said "it would be stupid if we found out that salvor is gaal's daughter, so it's probably gonna happen" deserves an award

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Binged on this over the weekend. I think it started out interesting and better than S2. The bit about how Foundation spreads influence was cool and I wish they had leaned more into it and showed an example of how some priests doing parlor tricks for commoners can eventually lead to the whole planet aligning itself with Terminus. Poly and Constant had a great dynamic and had strong screen presence. Titan's Prick scene was pretty funny.

Things just went downhill from there though, and towards the end I was basically hate-watching just to finish it. The way Hari could exist in multiple places, and the way he suddenly acquired a physical body, made it difficult to care about what happened to him. Hari is on the other side of the galaxy as a projection! Oh wait no, he's also here because of this magic device. Hari can't interface with the physical world and needs one of the other characters to open doors for him, so there's at least some limitation to him being a deus ex character! Oh wait no, he has a body now. Hari is dead! Nah, he's not actually. Etc.

The space battle scene was extremely poorly done to the point where it was just infuriating and cringey. At first everyone is like, "Terminus is surrounded and defenseless! They have the Invictus but it's useless! Oh wait, it just came online! It is concentrating ALL of its firepower on the Empire flagship!!! They also brought in whisper ships guys! Those sure sound scary! Scramble fighters!!11!" And then one pilot is apparently able to single-handedly disable the whole Invictus by himself. Zzzz... And then crashing it to the planet somehow destroys the entire planet?? But then nobody actually dies because Hari teleported them into his magic castle? Just unbelievably lazy writing all around. Comically bad.

The only interesting plot point was Demerzel's. I appreciated that her background was explored more, and the irony of humans destroying and outlawing robots, only to have their entire galactic empire controlled by the last remaining one, was pretty delicious. So there's some promise to S3, especially now that Salvor is gone (hopefully for good - the weakest actor on the show IMO) and we get The Mule.