Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I liked the first two episodes. I don't understand the ending of the second episode at all, but I guess they'll get to it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you're talking about book stuff can you mention that before your spoiler text.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ymgve posted:

Can anyone explain why the emperor made the painter dude go splat when the Empire has guns precise enough to sever your spine but still keep you alive? I'd assume those same guns could kill him just as well without making that mess.

I'm guessing to make his death quick and painless. It seemed like he respected the dude, but still felt he needed to die, so he was vaporized.

Also, during that scene with the old dude on the ladder. I kept thinking he was going to fall and die or something. I'm assuming that the system works such that there are always 3 alive at any time. So if one dies, they spin up a new clone and everyone is shuffled around. In that scenario, Lee Pace would get shifted up to brother dusk, and dawn would get moved to day and then they create a new clone. Maybe that's an interesting dynamic they are foreshadowing. Or maybe they only make a new clone every certain number of years. Who knows.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 28, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One thing I don't like about this show is all the time skips to show us one thing that happened at some point. I'm guessing the scenes are important for the story, but it's hard for me to follow when it says "35 years ago" and then it's a character I've seen for 30 seconds before doing something I don't understand and then it jumps back to somewhere else.

twistedmentat posted:

Something I was confused by in this episode was the opening, in the last episode they said the Clone Emperors were ruling for 3000 years, but in this it showed Cleon I and then skips 400 years to show what I think its the Brother Dusk of the first two episodes being put out to pasture. That's a pretty big inconsistency.

I think they said in the second episode maybe that the empire has been going for thousands of years, but they've had the same emperor for 400 years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unless she was running some algorithm in her head to find the next prime, reciting a list of prime numbers isn't even math, it's memorization.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess that's an issue when adapting the works of someone who didn't know what a computer would be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are people not reading Foundation/Dune/Hobbits because they are "too old"?

Or people are just not reading books because reading is a lost art?

Or maybe people are just doing other things. In any case, reading the books is not a requirement for watching the show, so just put book stuff in spoiler text.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

To be fair the show has already diverged a lot so book knowledge is almost on par with complete speculation. It’s not like Game of Thrones where the first seasons were following the book almost to the letter.

We don't know what they are or aren't taking from the books. You never know what might be a spoiler for something that happens later. So just tag book stuff, it's not hard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So you didn't even watch the show and have determined that it's bad?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Oasx posted:

I really hope the pace starts picking up soon, it feels like the show is already treading water, trying to drag out the story.

What do you want Lee to pick up?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I also have an issue with that somewhat and I'm wondering if it's just because it's dumb or if it is an artifact of how things were in the 50s.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Book readers are the worse

You'd never catch me reading a book.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It feels like they are expecting you to always be paying attention when the time changes happen but then they don't make the show interesting enough to want to always be paying attention.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think maybe they just wanted to see if they could take down an imperial ship. It's been 35 years or whatever since their planet had been attacked/punished with nothing they could do about it. This attack would show that they are capable of fighting back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Day and Dusk like mac and cheese, but I like shells and cheese."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Wait, is that how it works? I thought it always knocked people out.

I think it was a yolk

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm a wizard, Hari

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That also annoyed me. We should either be seeing things as they really happen, or as the main character for the scene is seeing things. Don't just make things up to trick us. There was no reason to show us that, just say it with words first and then show the truth later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

darkgray posted:

Why doesn't the ghost ship stink, anyway? All those bodies just defrosted.

This was my first thought. Why are they taking off their space suits on a ship full of corpses? It's not like it's just skeletons, these frozen corpses that are soon going to thaw out and start stinking.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe they forgot how to shower at some point in the thousands of years since our time, so they all smell like poo poo anyway so no one cares about the dead people smell.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You spend two hours in hair and makeup, and getting your costume ready. Then you get to an amazing looking set and you have to say

"gently caress you Hari, I no longer want to do this"
*smashes TV with hammer*
*Ship announces that poo poo is all hosed, everyone gonna die*
"My home planet needs me, I'm getting in this space pod so I can get there a hundred years after everyone I've ever known has died"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you think they've still got some B-52s hanging around? Someone's flying a B-52-JFAZW.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh poo poo, Hari is an anagram of Hair.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

galenanorth posted:

It did remind me of how "psychics" throw out a series of guesses as vague as possible until one of them is affirmed, like they had to fall back on writing for a scam psychic for an actual magic psychic

edit: I searched for it and found the image was of John Edward

I forget what it's called but it's like what ElGroucho posted. You need a big group of people and you just say you're getting a name starting with a J? J, no maybe a G? And then someone in the audience shouts "My husband's name was Gerald!" because they are excited that maybe it's about them. Then you look at the person and make a guess about the person. If the person is young, then the husband might have died in a tragic way, if the person is old, you ask if he passed just recently. Then you ignore and deflect away from what you got wrong by saying the spirit has moved on. Then you move to another part of the audience and shout another letter to keep the show moving.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's even more cringe I think. There was that expose video about that pastor who had a radio earpiece and his wife would read off of prayer cards with specific information and people's names and the people thought that he was getting the info from god, so it seemed more real to them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hate when I pause a TV show, say something stupid like "That door opened up, but Salvor is going to sit there doing nothing until the Anacreons show up and try to stop her" and then it turns out I'm right. Why is the writing so bad in this show? You'd think with books to base the show off of they could find a way to make it good like The Expanse.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I mean, basically he was :v: he was taunting him saying “I know what you’ve been trying to hide”.

Which is an interesting question, why would he do that? Just to be a cruel dickhead before killing him and replacing him with a Dean clone? Why paint their failure into the mural? They even made a big deal out of “why would we ever want to immortalize your existence”

Probably to trigger him into running away to reveal where those people were. And we also have seen that they can just remove things from the mural. The current Day did that 30 years ago or whenever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are plenty of better ways they could have done it. She could have said that someone was there to remove his nano bots, but he had to take off the aura first. Then they could drug him when he takes the aura off and then he wakes up to his nanites being drained into the other clone or something. Literally anything besides her just randomly turning on him and deciding that shooting him was the best way to get the nanites out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

The thing that annoyed me the most was that flower girl said 'your jacket is too small' when they met up. No you should have said you are stink to the high heaven!

Smells don't exist in TV shows unless it's part of the plot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you think each Cleon gets his own new set of armor, or does he just get the last Cleon's armor with jam in the pockets ala Malcolm in the Middle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

That spaceship seemed pretty sophisticated how did she irretrievably crash it?

It only had an IP63 rating.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So the ghost Hari in the vault is different from the ghost Hari that's on the ship? And the vault Hari is made from the special coffin and the other ghost Hari is made from the blood on the knife.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

rabble rabble posted:

I assumed that the "is that a door" line is supposed to prime us to understand that it's actually the same AI god hari from the ship that has taken that door to the vault

the vault needed to be created so there was a door for him to walk through

imo it's the same stupid hari

Nah, Hari asks where Gaal is. Ship Hari knows where Gaal is, she's on a slow boat to water world.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm just pissed that this show got Jared Harris for half the season and The Expanse has to make do with a four second clip once a season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

What happens when Vault Hari and Ship Hari meet? Maybe it’s like crossing the streams?

They were both created by real Hari so I assume they know of each other. I guess ship Hari would have more of a claim to be the real Hari since he's on all the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The empire just got 10 years shorter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Given the black void thing, couldn't he just...lie to her about the mass murder thing? Same effect, less blowback.

That's what I would have done. Killing 1500 people all at the same time raises too many questions. Just tell her they are all dead and then put her in forever prison.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rutibex posted:

You don't kill 1,500 people in secret. The point is to make an example of her, so anyone else who thinks about messing with Empire knows that everyone in their life will die if you dare to gently caress with the Cleons.

Of course this is extremely brutal thinking and will lead to the empires downfall, just like blowing up those planets as revenge for the star bridge. Heck just the fact they are drawing attention to themselves over this incident will make people question their genetics. Could have just hid everything, but nope decided to merc 1,500 people instead

That's a dumb move to make if your intention is to erase someone from history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
With just a flick of my wrist, everyone you've ever known will be told that you farted yourself to death, and the farts were so bad that no one could recover your body which will explain why there won't be anything to bury. And it's done.