Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

serious gaylord posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1443811017105059850

Tell me a white man wrote the article without telling me a white man wrote the article.

Also she literally did this and he produced his warrant card because he was a legitimate police officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Absence of work sets you free.

https://twitter.com/YappAppLtd/status/1442496285764816896?s=19

Apparently a Tornado hit Grimsby a few days ago

My understanding is that tornados aren't actually that uncommon in Lincolnshire, it's just that it's so loving empty they rarely cause much damage.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

It is very telling that instead of even considering that maybe cops should stop raping people or enabling rapists, their immediate response had been that rape victims should try running away or maybe try calling around until they find a cop who doesn't want to rape and kill them

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Oh I forgot the most important part of the advice which is that bus drivers hold an inherent power over police and can stop them killing you.

One weird trick you wont learn in law school.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I think one thing I have noticed is that the disgust with the police response seems to be very broad, it's not just the usual people on the left there seems to be a pretty universal recognition that they have an issue and are doing gently caress all about it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1443895258773868546?s=20

Disappointing, Omond/Womack would have been much more interesting.

Green Leader standing in Bristol West could gently caress up Thangam though which would be very fun.

Who were the lovely terf candidates for those of us not up on internal green politics?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's incredible how badly they've hosed the response here - and sadly instructive of just how completely insulated they normally are from criticism. All they needed to do was the normal "Bad apples, lessons learned, policies will be updated" poo poo (and obviously not actually changed anything) and the usual suspects would have just greased the ramp for them out of the news cycle. Instead they've come up with a bunch of poo poo that even the whitest liberals are going "Wait what?". It's hard even to pick a highlight, but "wave down a bus" is, I think, my particular favourite because it reveals even Plod don't believe that ringing 999 is going to end well and buses at least have cameras and witnesses and stuff.

Ash Sarkar summed it up absolutely perfectly:

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1443844063690698797

That's the thing is just arrogance. They've known since the second he was arrested there would be a public response but they just haven't bothered doing anything because the previous experience is that it wouldn't matter and nothing would need to change.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I initially read this as "all"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

These stories are honestly so baffling. I just ran a little bit longer than I normally do on a tank and then went to a petrol station a little bit earlier in the morning than I normally would and everything was fine.

How are these people do desperate that they are tailing trucks in the hope of draining their previous fluids? Surely they are wasting even more time+petrol?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Where do you live though? Its worse in and around london. As is the fuel situation.

If I get a speeding fine and the infraction is described in imperial units its illegal and i don't have to pay the fine.

I'm in Manchester, but thanks for supporting my continuing bias that London is hell on earth.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This is all baked in though. We might not know the exact details but everyone in the country assumes rich powerful people do this.

Yeah, just like the last one they did this story is totally going to die because everyone already knows politicians are corrupt and that evidence means nothing anymore.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

How is milk solved? I've never found a substitute that tastes the same.

Yeah I find milk substitutes tend be watery or too sweet.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Alctel posted:

Can someone post a link to the forum drama pls I completely missed it

There is a thread in QCS that covers most of it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980531

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Are we sure that is poverty and not just some sort of perversion?

Yeah my assumption would be that he was made to eat cold tinned beans in boarding school and it is now a sexual fetish

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

im goign to make my own haribo snakes, massive ones

Why does this sound like a euphemism for having a poo poo?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I looked it up and was delighted to discover that everyone's favourite fascism apologist is desperately trying to defend the honour of nick cohen.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought it sounded like he was trying to dig up dirt on him but I can't read a twitter discussion to save my life so probably confused.

Jolyon Maugham is trying to dig up dirt on Nick Cohen, I was talking about Glenn Greenwald's desperate attempt to protect Nick Cohen.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

When my brother used to manage properties for Leeds council he had a tenant who would literally post the council a single peppercorn every year.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol dude who dedicated his entire career to getting anyone left of Ghengas Khan kicked out of the party says he's a Trot.

I mean working with the right to destroy any attempt at left wing political success in the name of ideological purity is a very trot thing to do.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I think it says something about the effectiveness of insulate Britain that there are still a lot of politically engaged people who don't really understand who they are or what they want.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

It's insane how obviously homophobic they can now be and completely get away with it. This country is honestly terrifying.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Slightly strange they haven't named the guy yet. Wondering if there's something embarrassing about him re links to intelligence they're trying to deal with.

Well they've already said he'd been reported to prevent previously so he was almost certainly on some MI5 watch list and they've once again massively hosed up because they were too busy helping the police infiltrate an environment campaign group.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I think it's very telling that the right wing press have been given the opportunity to do some more islamaphobia but they haven't even bothered, now the cultural enemy is just anyone who dares challenge Tory hegemony in any way.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Who is Allison Pearson? I just know her from incredibly bad takes on twitter but what is she known for?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Lady Gaza posted:

We’d get a bank holiday though, right

They'd probably find someway to shaft us out of it.

I can even picture the headlines "Workshy millennials DISRESPECT memory of THE QUEEN by demanding day off work"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Important to point out that the Bill hasn't even been written yet & Kieth is supporting it.

Yeah but he also knows that there is anything the Tories can put forward that he won't support

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If she dies and they give everyone a day off next week that might make my job easier as if everyone stays home there is less traffic (I do not get bank holidays off)

I've already got weds-fri booked off so she better not die then.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

So the daily mirror now saying they have a leaked dept of health memo saying "plan b" will be brought in next week.

I swear if I miss enough christmas with my family because the tories can't manage a piss up in a brewery I will continue to be very angry and disdainful of the tories.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What is the gist of Plan B? Do you know?

Mandatory masks in public and working from home. So basically enough to slow things down until just before Christmas when they'll have to do a full lockdown again.

Too little too late as ever.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, everyone I met there had a story of someone who at least had got in trouble in the river - I'm not sure if it has some weird currents or something or just that it's so near so many decent pubs.

It's a combination of pubs being close to the river and also currents being strong and weird because it's the confluence of the Ouse and the Foss. Also I think the river beds are mostly oozy mud so people go under and get stuck in until they drown.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

the rivers dont meet until well passed the centre of town though? I dunno though, no fluid mechanics expert. Theres a plaque to a mate outside the kings arms. Sadly, he was young and drunk.

Yeah I guess it still has an effect on the currents upstream. Also I'm mostly going off something I was told in a pub by a fireman (I think) who had experience of trying to rescue people out of rivers in York.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Maybe in return we can get that spy wife lady that drove on the wrong side of the road and killed a young motorcyclist before scarpering under dubious diplomatic immunity.

This implies that we don't want to give them Prince Andrew though.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

YouTube's moderation seems to be completely insane, people get videos and channels deleted all the time without any explanation.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

josh04 posted:

They have a bunch of MPs hollering about it, at least.

Yeah and some right wing journos as well, because they are worried they might also get their accounts nuked presumably. Imagine it will be reversed shortly and blamed on a "technical error".

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I know there is a lot of dumb poo poo in this country but this might be stupidest man I've ever seen.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Gort posted:

Kind of surprised they even bothered to dust for fingerprints. Lately when I've been a victim of crime the cops haven't even bothered to show or even call me back when they said they would.

I'm guessing the fact that someone had been shot made them actually do some work.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Sanford posted:

Need some advice on a bit of a moral dilemma. Friends have been a bit “well, gently caress ‘em” and I’m hoping the thread has a more balanced view. This reads as a bit of a humblebrag so please start any replies by saying how great I am, then probably come back to it at the end and say it again.

The Dilemma

We live in a pretty poor area. Every year my wife and I coordinate with a couple of local schools (generally different each year) to make sure that kids that would have literally gently caress all on Christmas Day have got a couple of presents to open, some decent grub, whatever. The only ‘rules’ we impose are in asking the school to help identify kids who need it, and for the school to work with the parents so any gifts come from them not the school or us randos.

Last year one of the schools wrote to say thanks and they were going to buy a book for every kid in the school. I went back and said books are great, and sharing equally is great, but if you remember our conversation that’s not quite what we were going for. The head seemed to understand but then shortly after Christmas I found out the school did use the donation to buy all the kids a book, as a gift from the school, and linked it back to good behaviour at some event they’d held earlier in the year.

Now the same school have reached out and asked if we’d like to make a Christmas donation again. Don’t wanna! Loads of other schools in the area who’d be happy for such a donation. But (1) when you donate money, it’s not yours any more, and you shouldn’t put limits on what the recipient does with it, and (2) the piss-poor kids I see walking past my window in the morning will still at least be getting something.

Any advice please?

I'd personally give the school the donation again.

I can also see where the school is coming from because they might not want to tell a kid that they are poor and therefore deserving of charity, whilst the other kids in their class aren't. That's the sort of thing that can both knock a child's confidence and make them a target of bullying. It also opens the can of worms of a parent rejecting the gift because they don't want to be a "charity case".

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Wizard Master posted:

What are your blokes thoughts on the Queen withdrawing from the Glasgow climate summit due to health reasons

Im increasingly thinking they'll shaft us on the coronation bank holiday by either holding it in y an existing holiday or using it a smoke screen to finally abolish may day

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

haha been asked to write a memorial article for liz focused on how it will affect next seasons of The Crown (as in the netflix show)

You can't libel dead people so they'll be able to show in detail how her and Phil plotted and carried out the murder of Princess Di.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Didn't it turn out the carbon monoxide story had also been made up to promote the redditors chimney repair business?