Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Anyway totally normal and cool that the right-wing want to get back into the colonisation game. Lucky for the rest of the world that our armed forces are a shambolic mess.

Hey, at least this is just them settling on a place where British citizens live (and nobody else is stupid enough to). Most of what makes colonisation objectionable is when it involves ethnic cleansing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1447582789382123529

Going by their past record, the Labour Party is going to end up giving Seumas Milne a million quid and a role of president for life.

You say that like it's a joke, but the five named people are deploying Carter-Ruck, one of the most terrifying libel/defamation firms in the UK. Labour is fuuucked.

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1447584611769409544?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

He's just following direct orders from his MI5 handler.

Pretty sure that the former head of the DPP doesn't need a handler.

OK, OK, has not been given a handler. It's pretty clear at this point that he needs more adult supervision than he's presently receiving.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Oh XR were absolutely an op. The lithium thing, "arrest yourselves, it'll help somehow!", falling off the media when hallam and the German spooks left, pro cop/landlord and anti-leftist, attempting to coup and defang the climate strike, all of it.

My question is why blocking the roads was publically accepted in the first place but now, with the incredibly reasonable and achievable demand of "stop boomers dying every winter also lower our bills", a group with the same leadership is now getting assaulted. Did everyone just feel sorry for them?

Guess who the founder of Insulate Britain is?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1448704104788893696?s=21

lol, of course.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Amess is a prominent Eurosceptic and opponent of LGBT rights. Could be to do with either of those, could be to do with broader government policy, could be to do with a personal matter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yup, it's confirmed to be a murder now. Main news outlets are all popping off notifications.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

You missed out that chud militia who were planning to kidnap and execute the state governer because she wanted to to a Covid lockdown.

People are losing their poo poo all over.

ehhh... I'm going to be controversial and suggest that MPs being in fear for their lives from the general public is actually a bad thing.

A healthy social contract is one where the government don't fear for their lives because of their citizens, and the citizens don't fear for their lives from their government. Unfortunately, that particular Rubicon is pretty thoroughly crossed in the UK.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Well they've already said he'd been reported to prevent previously so he was almost certainly on some MI5 watch list and they've once again massively hosed up because they were too busy helping the police infiltrate an environment campaign group.

Eh, being reported to Prevent basically just means that he's black (and possibly lived in a terraced house). Let's not be too hasty in bigging up the credibility of a system that mainly exists as a tool of racist persecution.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lungboy posted:

The snippets of news I've seen on the killing say the chap had been reported to Prevent but wasn't an active MI5 person of interest. God only knows of that's true or not.

Being reported to Prevent basically just means you're a black British Muslim, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Ah yes catholics known around the world for being notoriously tolerant of LGBT+ and women’s rights.

Lol at any absolute weapon actually posting a wall of text about how tolerant the Catholic Church is actually

I mean, we have got Sinn Fein one country over, who are both the most Catholic and the most progressive parties by a considerable measure.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bit weird that we're still playing a guessing game about this guy's motives so long after his arrest (the Sunday Times is bringing up Amess's links to Qatar, of all things). Can't they just ask him? I feel like 90% of the reasons for murdering a sitting MP are ones that the perpetrator would be happy to chat about if given the chance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alctel posted:

Amess used to be my MP when I lived in Southend, and he actually was a really decent constituency MP.

I know of two people he personally helped, and he came to my school 25 years ago and did a presentation on how government works.

It's actually very hard to reconcile his voting record with how hard he worked for everyone in his constituency

OTOH, the GRT folks in his constituency don't seem to have a nice word to say about him. His kindness was somewhat narrow and selective even amongst the people he personally interacted with.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

an_mutt posted:

Hey everyone, I've not really been paying attention to the recent Trans debates over the past couple years (mainly because it's all so loving depressing living on TERF Island, and I largely checked out of anything UK Politics-related after the 2019 election), but the recent BBC nonsense and a gross experience at Uni has motivated me to get up to speed on what's been happening. I'm currently studying a PGCE course and was half-listening in on a couple women in my class having a talk about the aforementioned BBC podcast, and how "good" and "important" it was, etc. etc. I eventually asked if it was a takedown of the LGB Alliance (because I didn't know the content of the podcast series, and they were talking about hateful homophobic aspects of the organisation that was the subject of the series, it being dangerous for homosexuals, and so on), but they told me that it was for Stonewall and that "the LGB Alliance was doing some really great stuff". I know that this is patently a load of poo poo, as I seem to recall articles coming out when the LGB Alliance was first rising to prominence which showed how nakedly 'Funded by Right-Wing Fundamentalist Agitators' it was, and how clearly it was set up to erode LGBTQ+ rights, but now that I'm doing a bit of googling to learn more about it I'm seeing absolutely nothing but fawning articles about how cool and good it is as an organisation and how Stonewall is so evil. Is there a good starting point to actually learn more about all this, and what's actually happened in the last 2-3 years? I saw that they're now a loving registered charity (!?); I feel like I'm losing my mind over the recent coverage and how blatantly one-sided it is, and how easily it feels like the LGB Alliance has covered its recent history.

They show up multiple times in this thread, boosting an antisemitic conspiracy theorist 'researcher' who uses overt neo-Nazis as sources:

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1399849561301131265?s=21

An example:

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1368964015695667203?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Thing is, there's not *that* many prisoners in the 1st place. It's just so dumb.

Do you honestly think that this is the most difficult problem for a Tory government to resolve?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The optimism is that you'll protect your stash from the bands of roving cannibals! I'm only half joking.

Isn't the obvious solution here just to show up early to the roaming cannibal recruitment drives?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The most uncanny valley politician being named Michael Fabricant is impressively on-the-nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/bbcpolitics/status/1454758874309873665?s=21

Nationalise the debt and privatise the profit, eh?