Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

if you’ve been wondering about been about how Jess Phillips could possibly twist the Sarah Everard case to be about her, well, wonder no more

seems like a fair point to me tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm in Manchester, but thanks for supporting my continuing bias that London is hell on earth.

Gotta agree that as this breakfast just cost me £13 in Spitalfields market.

Hmph.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just lol at anyone who eats in Spitalfields for any reason at all. Better, cheaper, and way more varied food is available in like two minutes in literally any direction.

I like Bleecker Burger but you're right. Sadly I didn't get a choice in restaurants this time.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Flayer posted:

Almond milk is flavoured water. It's 2% almonds if you're lucky.

I tried 100% almond milk but it was a bit too crunchy.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Absolutely do not sleep on 2FA, it's quick, easy and standardised, and it adds an important layer of security that's difficult to circumvent. That's proper 2FA through an app though, SMS based 2FA is way too vulnerable.

I thought the same until my phone got nicked with an authenticator app on it and I was permanently locked out of a bunch of stuff - including losing access to all the Switch games I'd bought.

Now I'm SMS only.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe I'm being dense, but given how many people have their banking etc apps on the same phones that have a MFA app and also their SMS and emails, so if your phone gets nicked, then whoever stole it has access to everything. I just can't see how this is more secure than just having a simple password on your bank etc.

Well the banking apps on my phone need a fingerprint to access so anyone who stole it shouldn't be able to get in. Plus the phone's own security should theoretically keep them out unless they really really want to get it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Sorry for your loss, but in a country of millions, with 10000 deaths a week in normal times, stories of individuals are not important, no matter how strongly they make you feel

Really hoping this is a quote from some shithead tory and not something you actually said.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I didn't realize understanding basic statistics was bannable now. If you want to pretend you matter to more than a few hundred people in a country of millions, can I recommend your ego a career in media? We are all numbers in a spreadsheet at the end of a day.

hey data gently caress off back to the enterprise

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Lot of chat about the euromillions at work today. Keep meaning to remember to win that

If one hypothetically did come into a hundred million quid what would be the best way to use it for the benefit of the most people? Part of me feels as though the most efficient way would be to have a WhatsApp number or something that's just 'text me whatever you need paying and I'll sort it no questions asked'. But then it's open to Mr snrub types so you'd need them to provide proof and then you're still holding your money over people's heads

Could you set up some sort of sex ghost foundation for good lads and lasses but since I'm very stupid and don't understand the investments required to keep the fund going I would require outside help and that would turn it into every other lovely charity that works to enrich itself

You could theoretically set up some sort of political action group but that feels a bit lib dem 'just vote!' for my tastes

Is the answer really just driving around Mario balotelli style and just handing out notes to people on the street

The answer is that thinking about this stuff is a waste of time and can lead to a gambling habit.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TheRat posted:

So what happened? Mass delusion?

the cops were doing the drugs

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Harass kids on the street, beat up old people in their homes, say turbo racist poo poo on WhatsApp, murder a Brazilian guy.

All cool.

Nick a pack of jaffa cakes?

Instant dismissal.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/14/police-officer-sacked-for-paying-90p-too-little-for-charity-jaffa-cakes

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Isn't cutting, blood and knives generally something you'd expect from a surgery?

would prefer a piece of cake to be cut up tbh

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Slightly strange they haven't named the guy yet. Wondering if there's something embarrassing about him re links to intelligence they're trying to deal with.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/ManagedDecline8/status/1450036593553772546?s=20

:kstare:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

fuctifino, I'm memorised by your ultrabong, but is there any chance you could stop posting those horrible letters? We already know that Express readers are thick, hateful, ignorant cunts. I don't think we need several daily reminders. I come to this thread to get away from everyone else in this country, not have the worst of them shoved down my throat.

Yeah, just post the Viz ones. They're as dumb but funnier

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Really excited for Brenda to finally cark it so we can all break out necrothatcher.gif and have a good old laugh

my boss specifically told me not to speak to any TV cameras after the queen dies.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

Instead of the actually good reason for banning Twitter, which is that it’s Twitter.

anything that makes hacks this mad is worth keeping around

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wonder what'd happen if the queen died of covid?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I know this is a long shot but does anyone know where this is in London? It's a memorial mural of a friends sister, but he doesn't know where it's painted.

I'm looking in your direction goddamntwisto

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Huh it's not a real mural at all? Aw man my friend is going to be sad. :(

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My girlfriend went to an NHS talk on perinatal care and they started going on about Dianetics. Eesh.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Keith smugly saying "My slogan was Chanting slogans or Changing Lives" narks me off.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1452635424992682001

I initially misread the second tweet as the EU rightfully banning UK water due to the piss and faeces, but no, we are going to banning EU mineral water to promote our... <checks notes>.... toilet water.

I don't think the government is banning Evian or whatever, just that anyone importing mineral water needs to be recertified from January.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sanford posted:

Any advice please?

Could you not get in touch with the parents directly? Put a sign up at the local community centre/food bank saying you're willing to help out financially at Christmas and set up a specific email address for them to get in contact with you. You'd have to deal with the (probably miserable) task of trying to screen out chancers yourself, but at least it cuts out the middle man.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I believe it would be wrong at this time of crisis to oppose treating Keith's COVID while left-wing elements still run rampant in the Labour Party.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

haha been asked to write a memorial article for liz focused on how it will affect next seasons of The Crown (as in the netflix show)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jedit posted:

"It won't"?

any chance you could rephrase that in 300-400 words?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Can't just copy and past that 150-200 times?

it's actually pretty cool writing about Liz in the past tense and saying how the country has collapsed into a search for national identity, lots of soul-searching etc etc since her death

advance obituary writers must have so much fun

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Angrymog posted:

*IT leadership bitterly regretted telling us about the steam train because it derailed the entire meeting.

hope at least some of you crawled from the wreckage

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Went to one of those Tescos with no check outs where you just grab what you want off the shelves and it automatically bills you. These are going to put so many people out of work it's criminal :(

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Flayer posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59075823

Love this at the bottom of the article about schools and councils in England - apparently without any irony - warning about the dangers of kids copying the games from Squid Game

you'd think kids hanging out and playing marbles or whatever would be a gammon's dream come true

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

How does this work? What is stopping anyone just taking whatever without linking their bank? This feels like it wouldn't take too much effort to abuse.

they say it's impossible to steal from these shops - they scan your ID and apparently the tech creates an 3D exoskeleton image of you and knows exactly what you're doing and what you're picking up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What if you pick something up and put it down on another shelf?

I'm guessing the argument for this tech is simply that if the cost of having staff exceeds the cost of technical glitches and shoplifting then it's worth it to fully automate.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's been two hours since I walked out of the neo-Tesco and I haven't been charged anything yet.

and they say there's no such thing as a free lunch...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

blunt posted:

On the subject of automated supermarkets:

do not click on this unless you want to gently caress up your youtube recommends with fash stuff

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Government should set up to be the supplier of last resort. Works well enough for the trains.

And then just keep the contracts. Boom, nationalised.

A mysterious figure calmly says thank you in Mandarin down the phone, hangs up, and turns on his leather swivel chair to look at a wall of TVs announcing the nationalisation of yet another industry. Curiously he seems to be gently stroking a large horseradish....