Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thought I'd just remind yall that not everything is terrible, come hang in the good things thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980789

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Victoria, Australia, reports 1488 new cases :godwin:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...9b-767bfdb75e9c

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

fknlo posted:

Thanks for the well wishes. She’s not going to make it. Sitting in an airport by yourself crying when you find out is not fun.

Oh gently caress dude. I'm so sorry.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Turning and turning in the widening gyre   

The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere   

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst   

Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;

Surely the Second Coming is at hand.   

The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out   

When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi

Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert   

A shape with lion body and the head of a man,   

A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,   

Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it   

Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.   

The darkness drops again; but now I know   

That twenty centuries of stony sleep

Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,   

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,   

Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Glorious.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I would loooooooove to see Zuckerbot's meltdown.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What does that mean, exactly?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

You don’t know?

Jfc someone explain it to him.

I break engines, not internet.

CommieGIR posted:

Ok: Someone knocked out their DNS name records (the address book for their IPs associated with their website), as well as wiped out their BGP routes. So, DNS is how you look up who your destination server is like a phone book. BGP helps all the routers in the internet tell all the other routers how to get there, like a map.

So, without any way to lookup that info, and without any way to figure out how to get there, they effectively ceased to exist outside their Datacenter. Right now, its most likely that someone internally at FB accidentally or maliciously deployed network changes that did this. All we know right now for sure is they are down. Hard.

Thank you.
Also, hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahahahahahaha

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

and also I reprogrammed the sound powered telephone so the ECR rings the galley and the C/E very rings the smoking room.

Poor analogy, this would enhance capability

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Since I'm a regular user of facebook, instagram, and messenger, I have no choice but to assume that it's my curse that has taken it all down.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Imagine for a second to get you’re a ferryman living in New Zealand, and that for the sake of argument, you’re best friends with a white shepherd named, uh, Luca.

Imagine one day that you endeavor to play with Luca. “Go get your ball, Luca!” You intone, gazing deep into his wide, open eyes as they beam with excitement.

Luca bounds off to find his ball, but he thinks “Wait- did the Ferryman say the green ball or the red ball? Or was it the blue one?” He eventually decides to bring you a yellow ball.

“No, Luca, go get the other ball! You know which one!” You say.

Luca goes back and studies his ball collection. Maybe the Human wanted green? And so he picks it up and trots back.

“No, Luca- your special ball!”

By now poor Luca is thoroughly confused and starting to get mad. He brings you ball after ball as you chide him to go get THE ball until finally he can’t take it anymore. He throws back his head and angrily barks at the ceiling while aggressively squatting and taking an enraged poo poo on the carpet while you weep and wail in despair.

In this example you are a ferryman living in New Zealand, Luca is the Internet and the ball is Facebook.

I mean this is the best so far, but I am familiar with DNS I'd just never heard of BGP nor why it was such a massive fuckup.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wait. An elevator operator? In 2021?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm the evil that men do

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:ughh: at everyone on this page

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

guy's gonna feel doubly stupid when he finds out the strayans got nuclear subs legally

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

Guy Fieri contains multitudes.

It's kind of a lovely thing to say but I get the impression it comes from him working constantly throughout the pandemic (I'm out there organizing and cooking for people in the pandemic, other people should be able too) and his knowledge that a lot of restaurants are dying/going to die especially without staff.

Still, on the whole, probably has done a lot more good for people than I ever will.

We don't do shades of gray here son, if someone has done or said something ever, that's it for them as a person.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

he was part of owning the living gently caress out of docevil and that memory will never die

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Background of gip please

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

piL posted:

When Philippines Navy Sailors challenge you to some poo poo, what are you going to do, say no?

yes. that's exactly what i am going to do. don't ever gently caress with filipinos

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I feel like someone once was working on a ship and said a Filipino crew member had to briefly take off time to handle his sister being kidnapped. He got her back iirc.

That was me, and it was his brother.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Aaaaaaand NZ has pretty much officially admitted defeat:

quote:

Today's press release confirmed there are now so many unlinked Covid-19 cases that health officials won't be using subclusters to categorise them anymore.

"Given the number of unlinked cases each day, subclusters are not currently being used in the active management of the outbreak in Auckland. Epidemiological links are being explored during case interviews and whole genome sequencing is being undertaken on all cases, but the focus is on isolating cases and identifying, testing and isolating close contacts," the statement from the Ministry of Health said. 

ALL ABOARD THE PLAGUE ISLANDS

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of NZ, we are doing an all day 'vaxathon' event today. If you'd like to watch some ultra-cringe cameos by NZ names, tune in for the next 8 hours:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/126690237/super-saturday-live-vaxathon-kicks-off-as-almost-50000-doses-administered

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wrennic_26 posted:

So — this was deep in Covid times, 55 personnel were unavailable to respond that day due to sick in quarters or restriction of movement, and I am no engineer even remotely capable of handling this situation, so cannot criticize; I think the report is interesting though as a cautionary tale for anyone responsible for other people.

Watch out for the slow creep of entropy, things can go to absolute dogshit very quickly.

(Edit: fixed link, big .pdf takes a minute to load)

As perhaps the leading expert on shipboard disasters on this forum, I shall read it and post my thoughts later this weekend.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Why invoke rapists? Cops themselves are rapists or basically never actually investigate or solve reported sex crimes. It's the shittiest argument to invoke in favor of policing.

gently caress off with that bullshit whataboutism.

gently caress off and deep throat boots somewhere else.

Actually, I'd really prefer it if you'd take your hair-trigger explosive rages someplace else. I really don't need your particular brand of nastiness.

And I realise this is a difficult concept, but I have no doubt that not all police have personally raped someone, so don't go making up some bullshit to justify yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pope?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

What word should we replace guarantees with in service guarantees citizenship

Service implies citizenship

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Y'all are ignoring my favourite Dune adaptation

https://youtu.be/OtG5bXF0DZM

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Almost makes you wonder why religion was invented in the first place.

Matthew 6 is my favorite part of the gospel, because no american christian has read or understood it and they love trying to explain their way out of it.

I mean this is pretty great. A lot of people could stand to live by that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I meant more the hype around it. Before GC released they were trying to make it like the next LOTR or Harry Potter or some poo poo.

Dune seems to be making the money to get a part 2, GC fell apart and bombed (and was butchered for the film) ensuring no more fantasy polar bears or atheist message spread.

That being said, the series of His Dark Materials is pretty good and worth a watch.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Press conference on the Rust shooting right now.

Betting that Baldwin is wishing he spent a bit more of his Boss Baby money on his production efforts now.

Any highlights?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Military

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:thunk:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Meanwhile, in Brexit news:

quote:

The UK has said threats to block British boats from French ports in a dispute over fishing rights are a breach of international law and trade agreements.

France said if there is no agreement by 2 November it will also tighten checks on UK boats and trucks, and could target Channel Island energy supplies.

Brexit Minister Lord Frost said the stance was "disappointing".

He said the UK was seeking "urgent clarification" of France's plans.

France was angered by a decision from the UK and Jersey last month to deny fishing licences to dozens of French boats, and argued that it breached the Brexit deal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t mind my tax dollars going to health services but I have to draw the line at $130bn for a single person.

Is this for all mall Santas? That is more agreeable.

You pay $130bn in tax?!?!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Strong 15 million merit vibes

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Reminder that Zuck's wax sculpture at Madam Tussaud's looks more human than he actually does

Holy gently caress.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's meant to serve 4500 people????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

PeterCat posted:

Reading more about this, I also just learned that an ostrich nearly killed Cash in 1981, so maybe the birds put out a hit on him?

https://countryrebel.com/how-johnny-cash-was-once-nearly-killed-by-his-pet-ostrich/

Jesus. No one fucks with the ostrich mafia.