Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Very sorry to hear that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Going from this trash opinion piece to her official statement and the fact she flew back to AZ for "medical procedure"/lobbying fundraiser. I can't wait until MSNBC has her on like fellow losers Joe Donnelly and Claire McCaskill to talk about how progressive and the left are the true enemies of progress

https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/1444353126694277120

https://twitter.com/SenatorSinema/status/1444354092743237636?s=20

https://mobile.twitter.com/kyrstensinema/status/573257863730241536

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

drat, I was hoping it was gone for good

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

More like they spent too much time online. No way that’s not on purpose.

In Redmond, WA they have these signs. There is no need for the hands to be in the image at all. Kinda wonder why vandals haven't gone around adding rings.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

An old high school memory - friends and I were watching Evil Dead 2 in my mom's basement. I was told it was a Bruce Campbell movie, so my idiot brain decided that Bruce Campbell was the name of the character coming in to save everyone at the end. My dumbass had to be told that Bruce Campbell is the actor's name and he's playing Ash in the movie.

Bubba Ho-Tep is underrated.

The originals are great but the 2013 remake was a weird joyless slog without any Campbell or Raimi charm.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

There isn't much serious doubt that an invasion is something Xi really wants to see in his lifetime, but what he wants isn't the lone factor in all this. There's still debate over whether China can be kept busy with other disasters until his time runs out

I’m no expert but seeing the disruption when one port in China is shut down after a positive Covid test, seems like a naval war would totally stop exports and imports. Even if we assume they have stockpiled would guess even if they won and annexed Taiwan if there were major US navy losses there would be near universal support for stopping anything from entering or leaving their ports.

I know this would cause a recession in the west but seems like they’d be hurt more with tens of millions of idle factory workers and no coal from Australia. Imagine Russia would try to buy more to embarrass the west but that wouldn’t make up the difference.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Powell reminds me of McCain in how on the surface level we're expected to give them blind admiration for their nonstop achievements, but when you dig it's hard to identify anything objectively positive that made the world a better place.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

WA state vaccine mandate not messing around. Yesterday they fired highest paid employee (WSU football coach) and 74 state troopers.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

All just throwing in that cars are computers now. A few years ago I got to speak with a forensics guy from down in Florida who disproved a murder suspect's alabi by accessing their car's computer and showed the car didn't burn nearly enough fuel to get to where the suspect said they drove for the day.

Oh yeah that stuff is fascinating. It's interesting to learn how it's standard procedure for detectives to have honeypot FB accounts so when they're trying to locate a suspect they just send the guy a friend request and try to arrange a meet up. It works a surprising amount of the time without even having to leave their desks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

lightpole posted:

Bunch of WS Ferry people let go as well and playing the poor me think of everyone that will suffer card. Get the loving vaccine like the rest of us.

Oh yeah, they had to reduce some ferry schedules due to worker shortages. Definitely reinforced image of some folks I know who refuse to accept that living on high income islands with idyllic scenery, near non-existent crime, and a relaxed way of life might mean slight inconvenience when something disrupts ferry availability. One person I know posted long rants about how dare the ferry system decide to spitefully collapse the island economies as don't they know the vending machines at the ferry terminal are totally inadequate when someone has to take on the horrible fate of... waiting an extra half hour for a boat as there's a drat pandemic? Same person was also infuriated that all health care plans don't cover helicopter medivacs.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

brains posted:

one of the things that's always amazed me about this poo poo is the absurdly low bar of probable cause required for obtaining a warrant, yet cops constantly do illegal poo poo to bypass the process.

congrats/condolences on realizing the continual erosion of the fourth and fourteenth amendments has created the modern carceral state

If we had a magic pill that could be given to prisoners that ensured they never thought of doing crime again and could be freed, there'd be nonstop hand wringing about the prison guard job losses and how those structures mean so much for employing generations of rural Americans.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Touche - I live in a state with a comparatively well functioning publcx defense bar, which doesn't exist in many states. Definitely true that these systems need more money / attorneys / support to function as intended.

It was interesting to learn about how as Washington DC courts are federal their public defender program is pretty good, especially by national standards.

Meanwhile let's check what's going on in Louisiana

quote:

Last fall, insurance attorney Ryan Goodwin​ found himself in a visiting area of the Caddo Correctional Center in Shreveport, La., ​bracing for an awkward conversation. He had to make an admission to his new client — a 16-year-old who was facing life in prison for stealing someone’s wallet and cellphone at gunpoint.

“I don’t do criminal defense,” he told the teenager, Norman Williams Jr. “But I promise you, I’ll definitely try my best.” Goodwin typically represents insurance companies in litigation following car accidents. His job involves finding out what injuries the victim claims to have and whether they were caused by the crash. He has no criminal law experience. But because the Caddo Parish public defender’s office was suffering from a historic, statewide lack of funding, it could no longer provide counsel to hundreds of its poor clients. To fill the void, judges were randomly assigning the neglected cases to all the lawyers in Shreveport, including those specializing in real estate, personal injury, taxes, and adoption. Anyone with a law license, a professional address in the parish, and a pulse was placed alphabetically on a list. They could be called on at any moment to take a criminal case, unpaid.

For Goodwin, this presented a moral dilemma. He knew he wasn’t fit to represent Williams, but a court of law was telling him that he was. “I took generic criminal law and criminal procedure in law school, but that’s just two classes separating me from any person,” he says. “I wouldn’t want me representing me.” Goodwin decided to write a letter to the judge, John Mosely Jr., who had assigned him the case. “I understand the current status of the indigent defense office as well as my civic duty,” he wrote. “But the possibility that a young man could spend a significant amount of time in prison poses a difficult burden on me considering my rudimentary knowledge of criminal procedure.” The judge kept him on the case.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2016/09/08/when-real-estate-and-tax-lawyers-are-forced-to-do-a-public-defender-s-job

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

40 years of the gutting of the middle class and unions because one loving idiot didn't know poo poo about guns.

The near miss on Truman by the Puerto Rican nationalists is fascinating. If they’d simply waited for him to cross the street it would have been minimal security, instead two guys tried to fight through a guarded building.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Ex: Joel Osteen closing church doors to people looking for shelter after hurricane Harvey’s flooding in Houston.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/joel-osteen-faces-criticism-social-media-closing-houston/story?id=49480146

Send them cubes, free with any donation! (suggested donations start at $50) https://www.joelosteen.com/MonthlyOffer/the-inspiration-cube

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Megachurches exist because:
1: Massive tax evasion.
2: To tell rich/well off white people that god wants them to be well off, and those that aren’t are in that situation because of their own choices.

They entirely exist to help assuage white guilt and dodge taxes.

Oh for sure. When I was younger/dumber I was at a megachurch for a while. Something else that is a big factor especially for young people is pre-existing social groups that are easy to get plugged into. Boom, you go from empty social calendar to having plenty of stuff to do with people with similar worldviews.

To add to your second point that is accurate, we had one mansion dwelling woman who was a fan of predestination through Calvinism. Clearly the structure of the universe was set up to make sure that in addition to you being in extreme comfort since birth you are guaranteed to be in paradise down the road. When I asked why a loving deity would opt for a model that sends billions to eternal torture and it is impossible for them to do anything about it, got a blank look and was advised that it adds to God's glory.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Almost makes you wonder why religion was invented in the first place.

Matthew 6 is my favorite part of the gospel, because no american christian has read or understood it and they love trying to explain their way out of it.

Oh yeah, Matthew 19:23-26 is another big one, about the camel and the eye of the needle meaning rich people can't get into heaven. It's very black and white and a neutral person would conclude wealthy people aren't following Christian doctrine, and it's interesting to sometimes read about rich historical figures giving up their money in response.

In modern times well you see, Jesus was making a joke! He was just having fun. Or he meant to refer to a small alleyway in Jerusalem called the needle and maybe you couldn't load the camel with tons of gold and get through but no worries if those side bags are packed with a reasonable amount of gold bars. Anyway, we're buying another building so gonna need our top tier donors to dig deep.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

My friend

You do not need a membership to use the food court

The Gospel of the 1.50 quarter pound hot dog and fountain drink with refill is open to all.

PBUC

I've heard this for years but I think it is location specific. For Costcos with outdoor food courts I believe they don't bother checking memberships as it would slow transactions too much, but if the food court is inside the building you need a card to enter.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I just read a book on Carter and getting vibes of when in the late 70s Dems had large majorities in both houses and Ted wanted national coverage but Carter wanted more limited catastrophic coverage and in the end nothing happened. Carter was/is ethical and did a lot for human rights but dammit he stunk at messaging and working with congress.

Also learned when Carter welcomed Reagan to the White House post-election he was concerned when briefing him that he wasn't paying attention or taking notes, and when Carter mentioned South Korea cracking down on protestors being an issue Reagan wished America had more of an ability to shutter campuses during unrest, which Carter found unsettling.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

I hate anyone who posts that uncanny valley freak's likeness

Edit: every time i see him i think of opening the door to a dark room and then when you turn on the light, all you see is a human corpse laying on the floor, torso savagely ripped apart, only for a near-human creature to pick its bloody head up from its latest kill and current meal and stare at you with its beady little eyes, showing a look of both fear and contempt.

Ugh yeah. I'm no fan of bezos, gates, or musk but they look presentable. zuck looks off, like he is super protective of a quack stylist despite pleas from FB's PR dept.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Forgot to add the image of the 8x8 living plan this gently caress came up with:

He probably wouldn't last a day.

Lol that's like playing Sims for the first time at a friend's house and not intentionally torturing them but also having no clue what you're doing. *takes second look* actually that's more like Prison Architect.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That Works posted:

There's really only 1 toilet for 8 rooms?

And one shower. Ugh sharing a toilet with 7 strangers who are away from home for the first time and experimenting with managing their own diet and booze intake. From looking at the layout there don't even appear to be backup toilets you could use down the hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

https://www.costco.com/japanese-wagyu-boneless-ribeye-roast%2c-a5-grade%2c-12-lbs.product.100311435.html