Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Yaldabaoth posted:

Don't watch it because most media from Japan is aimed at incels.

yeah, seoul is my favourite part of the japanese archipelago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Police plot dumb and never interacted with any of the regular characters except "guy in a mask."

Felt like maybe they made and edited the show then an exec was like "weave in some police cliffhanger poo poo"

Overall I did not like it too much, but I watched the whole thing so I don't begrudge those idiots who did like it.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Show is good. On my second watch now. There's a lot of hints and foreshadowing I missed the first time, so it's been fun looking for those details.
It's the first watch for my girlfriend, so hearing her confidently predict (wrongly) what's going to happen next is very entertaining.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Ali is mega dead , dudes

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Shows good

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

On my eleventh watch. I’m noticing a lot of foreshadowing like when they explain the rules of the next game in the squid game and then the characters play that game, in the squid game

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Mr. Grapes! posted:

What a lovely sequel hook. The movies with the best sequels never bother to leave a sequel hook because they are confident enough in their story to have it stand alone.
I'm still waiting for No More Country For Old Men: Chigurh Rides Again.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 20, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finished it last night, yeah the ending was bad.

Like...what the gently caress is he going to do? They communicate by what are presumably burner phones. The games take place on a private island and he has no idea where it is. He has no idea who the Point Man is and don't think he ever saw any of the VIPs. They're monitoring all the players in their daily lives and can just send goons to go kill him if it looks like he's going to try anything.

Just end the show, it's not the sort of thing that needs more than one season.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finished it last night, yeah the ending was bad.

Like...what the gently caress is he going to do? They communicate by what are presumably burner phones. The games take place on a private island and he has no idea where it is. He has no idea who the Point Man is and don't think he ever saw any of the VIPs. They're monitoring all the players in their daily lives and can just send goons to go kill him if it looks like he's going to try anything.

Just end the show, it's not the sort of thing that needs more than one season.

Agreed, its a show about death being easy and cheap, why not off this guy at the drat airport as soon as he hangs up?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

I like the show but I agree with the OP for the ending.

Ending seems to be hard to do, not the first show that fumbled at the finish line.

For people complaining how long this show is, I watched Sisyphus and it's actually over 16 hours long.

It is very good but, god, it need some editing.

People are complaining about the length? Imagine a show where they spend multiple 22 minute episodes on one game. Like just the game. Here's 4:30 minutes of the anime Kaiji. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3Qqn27Mnc.

Well that's more pacing than length I suppose but Squid game didn't feel long to me.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 25, 2021

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

it was bad

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I hope one day I make something so good that SA has to make a thread about how not good it actually is

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

vaginite posted:

I hope one day I make something so good that SA has to make a thread about how not good it actually is

This is how goodness works.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

SA in '92: noway future skynet would have made this stupid austrian bodybuilder robot to "fit in" therefore T2 sucks my dick

e:

I'm actually watching squid games now and there's a lot of good allegories about capitalism

ee

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is how goodness works.

this guy gets it

eee:

finally i got promoted to triangle at work

vaginite fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 23, 2021

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

This show's cool because there's someone for everybody to identify with. Everybody in it sucks in a relatable way, even back mask guy and rich guy cottage cheese rear end.. I personally identify with gong yoo but you may find different. Let me know who your squid game sub--in is and why

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I found the "crazy lady" who fucks in the bathroom to be absolutely irritating throughout the entire thing.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Agreed, its a show about death being easy and cheap, why not off this guy at the drat airport as soon as he hangs up?

I'd like the sequel to just be a 2 min episode where he gets sniped in the hallway thing right after they tell him to get on the plane.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

One time I let a dragon-face tattoo guy gently caress me and he also proved unreliable

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

My wife said I was a Park Hae Soo but that's bullshit im a Wi Ha-joon imo

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Is this like the Simpson thread where goons spend hundreds of pages discussing minutiae about a show they “don’t like” and “didn’t watch”?

All in exacting detail that would require rewatches and high levels of attention?

All while knowing all characters and plot twists the end and how it should have ended?

Don’t forget the bit where goons pretend they don’t know the names but describe the characters in exacting detail so it’s extremely clear who it is (sometimes including a super accurate “guess” of the name)

When I don’t like something, I just forget it and don’t mention it again.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Extra row of tits posted:

Is this like the Simpson thread where goons spend hundreds of pages discussing minutiae about a show they “don’t like” and “didn’t watch”?

All in exacting detail that would require rewatches and high levels of attention?

All while knowing all characters and plot twists the end and how it should have ended?

Don’t forget the bit where goons pretend they don’t know the names but describe the characters in exacting detail so it’s extremely clear who it is (sometimes including a super accurate “guess” of the name)

When I don’t like something, I just forget it and don’t mention it again.

I also don't mention things I don't like but I do happen to like squid game

The german dub seems better than the english ones, I think german dub with korean subtitles is the best way to watch but ymmv

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

All my other posts have been poo poo posts but this is a real one:

Do you guys think if the guys didn't play marbles and each kept their 10 neither would die? It seemed like the old man tried really, really hard to get Gi-hun not to play and per the rules it just said guy with 20 marbles wins. It never said not getting 20 get's you eliminated. It left this open it feels like to give the viewer hope that not really 1 of each pair had to die then ripping the rug out for great bummer effect. But no characters in the show actually tested this - they all played til one died.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The goal was to get your partner's marbles, maybe they could swapped bags but no one tried so who knows.

If it's an allegory for capitalism that sort of sharing attitude probably would've gotten people killed for being uppity poors trying to game the system.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Why didnt they just eat the squid?

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
they should make a show about how bad your opinions are, OP.

they can call it Insufferable Shitfucker Moron, and it will be syndicated in 22 states.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

vaginite posted:

Do you guys think if the guys didn't play marbles and each kept their 10 neither would die? It seemed like the old man tried really, really hard to get Gi-hun not to play and per the rules it just said guy with 20 marbles wins. It never said not getting 20 get's you eliminated. It left this open it feels like to give the viewer hope that not really 1 of each pair had to die then ripping the rug out for great bummer effect. But no characters in the show actually tested this - they all played til one died.

They were on a timer so the implication was they’d kill ‘em all.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Only overacting lady didn't get killed so it suggests that vaginite may be correct.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The acting in the scenes in English by the VIPs was god-awful

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I liked that, really made them feel out them place and foreign.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
When I lived in Korea I was dragooned by a friend into "acting" in a few k-dramas and I can confirm that the standards for generic colonial antagonists are incredibly low.

Thank God none of them have yet been optioned by Netflix.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
It's good, it peaks in the middle and the last few episodes decline in quality. My expectations are low for the inevitable S2 but hey.

English-language acting was bizzarely stilted and both the scripting and the dialogue reminded me of The Room. Maybe I would have felt the same about the Korean dialogue if I could understand the spoken language rather than reading subs.

Nice Van My Man posted:

Calling it now, the cheesiest bit of season 2 is going to be when it turns out the police guy survived the gunshot and falling into the ocean and makes a surprised reappearance.

Police guy shoots front man in the shoulder who is injured but recovers

Front man shoots police guy in the shoulder who falls into water and no body is seen

It would be more interesting if he is actually dead in s2

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

People are complaining about the length? Imagine a show where they spend multiple 22 minute episodes on one game. Like just the game. Here's 4:30 minutes of the anime Kaiji. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3Qqn27Mnc.

Well that's more pacing than length I suppose but it didn't feel long to me.

Kaiji is a much better alternative to Squid Game. At hospital, lost fingats

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I like squid game

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

ilmucche posted:

The goal was to get your partner's marbles, maybe they could swapped bags but no one tried so who knows.

If it's an allegory for capitalism that sort of sharing attitude probably would've gotten people killed for being uppity poors trying to game the system.

This absolutely what would have happened. Like the part in the bridge game where they figured out a way to tell which panels were reinforced so the people running the game said “lol no” and turned the lights out.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Captain Splendid posted:

The acting in the scenes in English by the VIPs was god-awful

Also that they were all American save for one token Korean.

And "Ha! You like Japanese Playstation and NGE? We're going to take the Playstation symbols and the NGE end credits song and make you hate them! Ha!"

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
the show is pretty cool visually but it's no citizen kane imo!!!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

vaginite posted:

Apparently from what I understand this was a bad translation

In the original Korean it's explicitly said you must take all your opponents marbles

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i appreciate this show if for no other reason than bringing the subs vs dubs debate to normies. it's been funny to watch

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

razamataza posted:

mask man said that the main principle of the games is that everyone has an even chance and it's fair for everybody but i bet the guy who had to go first on the bridge game didn't feel that way lol tho i guess he did also have a chance to grab the number 16 bib hmmm makes you think

drat it's almost like the antagonist in the story believes their own bullshit? crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Drunk Nerds posted:

Police plot dumb and never interacted with any of the regular characters except "guy in a mask."

Felt like maybe they made and edited the show then an exec was like "weave in some police cliffhanger poo poo"

Overall I did not like it too much, but I watched the whole thing so I don't begrudge those idiots who did like it.

the police sub-plot, just like the organ harvester sub-plot, is there to give the viewer a chance to think there may be some other way out of the game besides how it was designed. a deliberate false hope. both were then used to add layers to the backstory as you get to both learn more about how things work behind the scenes and how the whole operation isn't as air-tight as they're putting on. they then stagger closing both of those side plots when appropriate as it gets closer to the end so the viewer can hold on to the hope of an alternate ending but not through to the actual ending. i think it worked fine