Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
his flying phase is pissing me the gently caress off. think im going to sleep on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

absolutely anything posted:

figuring out that you could use a power bomb to blow the suns up was one of the most powerful gamer moments of the year for me

Holy poo poo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

figuring out that you could use a power bomb to blow the suns up was one of the most powerful gamer moments of the year for me
hell yeah brother

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh my god

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I figured that out because I panic mashed every button

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I haven't had that much fun losing to, mastering, and beating a final boss in like a decade+

give me DLC or a sequel that's nothing but fights of that grade and intensity

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
finished my third run last night but messed around too long trying to do the early grav suit and just missed the 4hr clear time :sweatdrop:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

honestly I was just glad they had at least one use that wasn't "blowing up specific blocks"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Having a max of like 30 at the end of Fusion is a total joke, so I appreciated that they tuned it down to only 10 in Dread. Still thought "why would I ever need that many", until I started sweating bullets during my Hard Mode sub 4 hour run, where I only got one extra, and kept running out during the final boss.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im getting to dude's last phase but without enough resources. thinking i might run around and get some more pickups, having only 3 power bombs is hurting me

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

honestly I was just glad they had at least one use that wasn't "blowing up specific blocks"

it owns that the final boss uses literally every upgrade

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
oh man running roughshod over the whole world with all my powers just collecting poo poo is so much fun. cant believe i almost denied myself this

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
"All teleportals are now connected." :aaa:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
on my hard mode playthru and i will say the burenia theme is p deece.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
as far as the hard mode itself it just feels like im taking a little bit more damage, nothing too noticeable

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

mycophobia posted:

as far as the hard mode itself it just feels like im taking a little bit more damage, nothing too noticeable

yeah it’s pretty similar. recharge stations are def more important and a couple bosses are a bit more tricky but not too much.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
dude i just 2-cycled the water anus boss that gave me so much trouble on my normal run, actually thought to parry his shining attack this time. ftw game is so cool

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
alright so im at the last save point with 4:23 on the clock. from here to credits shouldn't be longer than 20 minutes so sub-5 is doable for sure, but i only have 2 powerbombs which means the final boss is going to be a bitch. ill give him a couple of attempts but i might want to sweep the world for a few expansions maybe

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
got to final boss's last phase a few times. iguess since the next threshold for gallery unlocks is clear in <8hr theres no reason not to do a sweep of the world considering i already missed <4hr. im definitely going to do more runs after this one

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i ended up looking up a couple of speedrun vids to see how they handle the final boss and in addition to the cross bomb apparently dealing good damage to him (which i didn't attempt) its also apparently easier to just use regular missiles instead of storm missiles. I took him down first try after learning this

i stupidly started this game in a separate slot instead of the one i did my normal playthrough so my gallery unlocks are in different saves, but i plan on getting hard mode <4hrs at some point anyway so w/e.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

8 hours and took several tries on all the bosses but i did it :cheersdoge:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kongming posted:

The only part of the fight I really hated was the giant ball of energy that pulses waves in the last phase. I'm just glad I got all the energy tanks lol.

tge machinegun was the worst bc i kept loving up my space jumps and hitting him

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Plutonis posted:

theres this kickass thing speedrunners do where they crouch and aim diagonally up from a distance and the stream will just miss them but ive never really attempted it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Plutonis posted:

That was the one that kept getting me, it was kind of hard for me to thread the needle to stay close enough to him to easily stay ahead of the stream without getting close enough to crash into him

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I used to get hit all the time until I incorporated phase shifts into my dodging routine

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

mycophobia posted:

theres this kickass thing speedrunners do where they crouch and aim diagonally up from a distance and the stream will just miss them but ive never really attempted it

the speedruns are so sick

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That second phase took ages for me too. The switch I got was pre-owned and a good 5% of button presses just don’t register and it does that “press L and R then A” thing once a sesh. Was frustrating at first but it made for some lol moments and it’s nothing a little ol’ fashioned button mashing can’t fix.

Just made that ending animation all the more satisfying

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fortaleza posted:

That second phase took ages for me too. The switch I got was pre-owned and a good 5% of button presses just don’t register and it does that “press L and R then A” thing once a sesh. Was frustrating at first but it made for some lol moments and it’s nothing a little ol’ fashioned button mashing can’t fix.

Just made that ending animation all the more satisfying

Please get new/fixed joycons you don't have to live like this

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Please get new/fixed joycons you don't have to live like this

I will! Until then it’s kinda fun playing Mario sunshine, lining up the perfect triple jump, then watching him refuse to do it and sprint to his death as fast as possible lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i get the "press L and R" thing even with new joycons tbh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the boss right after things freeze might be my favorite boss that's wasted me repeatedly of all time. hitting the double-dip on the counter attack and getting that whole sequence is a huge goomba stomp, and making you perfect your jumps for the second phase is so good. I can't figure out how to dodge the double-claw swipe and I think I'm low on E-tanks for this point in the game. I can get to the point where I nail the counter attack once in phase 2 so it feels like I'm almost there.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
To dodge that double swipe you have to wait for the boss to finish roaring and then go up. You can also go up earlier but it's tricky because its head is an obstacle until right before the attack.

And yeah, that's my favorite boss too, it's really cool.

gently caress, I might play this again now. Just to see how fast I can do it.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i didn't read this thread because i started pretty late and didn't want to pick through or avoid spoilers. read it now that i just beat it. game completely pwns.

i saw some people say grapple swinging is weird, and it is, but nobody mentioned that instead of getting used to the weird controls you can just phase flash or w/e 100% of the time. at least i never encountered any sections with more than one grapple point that you couldn't just warp past.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I got the tude now posted:

exactly where i am and exactly how i feel. lost power during the next boss fight and i'd been skipping save points b/c the checkpoint system is so friendly so.. cool more metroid

I got the tude now posted:

i walked away as soon as it happened haha. thx nintendo

i dont understand this at all. the switch has a battery and there's a checkpoint for every boss. the only way you could lose progress is by manually quitting the game.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i'd left the room before i noticed my switch and returned later to find it still on. i'd only just gotten it and my thanks was sincere.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh I understand. nice. I'd like to thank nintendo as well.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

got 100%. i didn't go looking for any help but i probably wouldn't have realized cross bomb can propel you horizontally over pitfall blocks without someone mentioning something about it in here. also that you can walljump while retaining speed booster speed, which i still don't understand the rules of. the time i made it i bumped into a ledge but went back to full speed when i cleared it. but the previous attempt i lost it and i'm not sure why.

i don't get the point of the orange teleporter - i thought it was going to lead me to some more items in ghavoran, but instead it just takes you to a corner that's slow to leave and even slower to get back to. i thought maybe it's the closest one to hanubia, but i think the green one is actually faster because you don't have to go through that morph ball maze.

i almost got stumped by the one-way door at the bottom of cataris. i actually thought of shooting it and then entering through the other side, but i thought it would permanently open like they sometimes do so i just walked over there and it was still closed. i went around power bombing the edges around the whole zone looking for another path before i looked at the map and the idea occurred to me.

anyway i think i'm going to start a new game on hard immediately ftw.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Simply Simon posted:

something I've been thinking about and didn't reach a conclusion on: does anybody know what the blue insects you sometimes see that disperse when you go near them could mean?

Maybe a critical path indicator?

IGgy IGsen posted:

They don't show up consistently enough to be that, honestly. But I thought that's what they were too at first. And who, knows, maybe they are. Maybe it's just a mystery. Deep lore perhaps.

Bicyclops posted:

i think the blue butterflies mean something but yeah i don't know what.

Black August posted:

Oh. I just realized the guiding blue light-butterflies are probably meant to be a call to luminoths.

on my new game i noticed that the first central unit you run into - the one that's already dead and on the ground - is covered with a bunch of blue butterflies before samus goes up and touches it. what could it mean 👀

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

b_d posted:

on my new game i noticed that the first central unit you run into - the one that's already dead and on the ground - is covered with a bunch of blue butterflies before samus goes up and touches it. what could it mean 👀

I forgot I meant to pay attention to those lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

speaking of central units , how come they're mother brain. i mean they're brains with an eyeball. and their rooms have rinkas and those annoying turrets. i guess they're related to the EMMIs so the federation is building mother brains now? i mean they could have been on the planet already and there just happened to be 1 for each EMMI and they made their zones around them for some reason but that seems less likely.

mycophobia posted:

"All teleportals are now connected." :aaa:

i have no idea what triggers this. it seemed to happen at some random time when i started going around for items at the end. maybe it's reaching the last area and i just hadn't used one for a while.

i got the varia suit on my new save last night and completely failed to find or remember the way forward. i spent like 40 minutes going all over the place looking for hot rooms and morph ball tunnels and didn't find anything. i feel like such a dumbass and i'll surely feel even dumber when i finally find whatever im missing.