Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mescal posted:

This was instant-buy for me until I saw no controller. You're on version 3.0 and you don't have controller support?
Personally, I can't imagine comfortably playing it with a controller outside of, say, using the PS4 controller's pad as a track pad for mouse input, which I can already do.

It would be very tedious to work through every item you can click on individually, and weird/ugly if the UI were reorganized in a more hierarchical way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Tabbing through the myraid of menu options, die selections, rerolls, and targets would be a nightmare on a controller

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord
If you're on PC, you might be able to get away with setting up keyboard bindings to a controller.

Tann posted:

It's mostly playable with keyboard-only. Certain things like equipping items and starting the game need the mouse though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Poster complaining about controller support is probably gonna be mad it's not on dreamcast either.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Tried out 3.0 last night for the first time since the update. Does classic no longer default you to one orange/yellow/gray/red/blue hero anymore? Or did I have some setting toggled I forgot about

CainFortea posted:

Poster complaining about controller support is probably gonna be mad it's not on dreamcast either.

I remember when I got my steam deck I setup slice & dice on it cause it seemed like it would be cool, only to realize I couldn’t think of a good controller setup for it. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the end goal.
However phrasing it like “3.0 and no controller support yet?” Is very lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RME posted:

Tried out 3.0 last night for the first time since the update. Does classic no longer default you to one orange/yellow/gray/red/blue hero anymore? Or did I have some setting toggled I forgot about

you gotta unlock casters

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ah probably just some save data xfer stuff on my first run then, especially considering beating the first fight triggered like 90 cheevo pop ups lol

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't think it's absurd to want controller support. Yes, it'd be a little slower, but people also play with pure mouse instead of hotkeys.

It also seems kinda straightforward to me and wouldn't need reorganizing of ui elements. You'd need to implement a selection cursor and have visual elements to show the currently highlighted selection, but that's about it, art-wise.

I think a big thing would be that you interface with rerolling via the heroes and not the dice, with the corresponding die being highlighted along with its hero (which I think the game should have as an on-hover anyways, but that's a different topic).

Combat, to me, has the main pain point that spells are arranged horizontally. So you couldn't easily navigate between heroes/spells/enemies in a way that isn't a slog with just directional buttons. You'd need to navigate heroes/enemies with directional buttons and then have a separate button to switch to selecting spells.

And then equipping things could be hierarchical but it could also be a big grid and that would also be fine. it doesn't actually need to be as snappy as combat.

Also, very important, you need the cursor to be a hand with a gauntlet pointing at stuff. And when you're moving items around, it picks up the item you're holding.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't think it's absurd to want controller support.

Controllers are absurd in general when we have a world full of touch screen devices and mouse and keyboard devices.

But more it's a statement of how silly it is to be curfuffled that the phone game has reached 3.0 without controller support. As if it should have somehow had it all along, for all that hot hot phone controller gaming action.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I cannot imagine how slow and odious a controller would be for this game, every game would take like twice as long to do

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

CainFortea posted:

Controllers are absurd in general when we have a world full of touch screen devices and mouse and keyboard devices.

Source your quotes.

Controllers are an unusual choice for this game and I wouldn't use them, but there are some kinds of games they are unquestionably better than touch screens and mice/keyboard for.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
So that Extra Credits twitch stream rogue review of Slice and Dice I was talking about will actually be getting to Slice and Dice any minute now if anyone was interested.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If I buy the game, is it a good or terrible idea to reset my progress so I get the full progression experience?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RME posted:

I remember when I got my steam deck I setup slice & dice on it cause it seemed like it would be cool, only to realize I couldn’t think of a good controller setup for it. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the end goal.
However phrasing it like “3.0 and no controller support yet?” Is very lol

I play Magic on Steam Deck from time to time and having left joystick as fine-grained mouse, right joystick as faster-motion mouse, triggers as clicks, and a few face buttons as maybe special actions tends to work pretty good for mouse-based games.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I can imagine a person needing controller support for accessibility reasons, honestly. and it's not like it's really all that absurd to play menu driven games with a controller. people do it all the time.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hammer Bro. posted:

I play Magic on Steam Deck from time to time and having left joystick as fine-grained mouse, right joystick as faster-motion mouse, triggers as clicks, and a few face buttons as maybe special actions tends to work pretty good for mouse-based games.

Can steam bindings do like "simulate a click on this area of the screen" because the game doesn't have a keybind for showing targeting lines, and that would be a useful button to have (on top of having z, r and enter).

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Unrelated: it wouldn't update on my Android so I un-installed and reinstalled, and while I still have my achievements to paste, "restore purchase" just says there's nothing to restore. Is there something standard O should be trying to restore my previous mobile purchase?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

dirby posted:

Unrelated: it wouldn't update on my Android so I un-installed and reinstalled, and while I still have my achievements to paste, "restore purchase" just says there's nothing to restore. Is there something standard O should be trying to restore my previous mobile purchase?

it sounds like you bought it on itch.io before

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Quackles posted:

If I buy the game, is it a good or terrible idea to reset my progress so I get the full progression experience?

Probably neither/doesn't matter if this is your first go-around with the game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Stab posted:

Can steam bindings do like "simulate a click on this area of the screen" because the game doesn't have a keybind for showing targeting lines, and that would be a useful button to have (on top of having z, r and enter).

Haven't done so myself but looks quite capable: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wyakx0/mapping_a_button_to_click_with_mouse_on_specific/

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The Choose Party Masochist secret is bugged. I did Choose Party on Unfair with five greens (four cats, Spade in the middle) and it triggered the secret unlock after the win. I definitely haven't played that mode enough for that condition.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Can anybody figure out why my vampire with Underdog isn't doing double damage to a zombie with full health? I'm already well past this, but couldn't figure out if this was a bug or just some logic I was missing.

code:
`{c:[1512c,15Z4c,1573c,15Z4c,1302,2064,2153,2260,4],d:{l:{m:[Zombie,Zombie,Zombie]},m:[Monster Blank,Choozy],n:11,p:{e:[Chakram],h:[Gambler~D,Scrapper~Burning Blade,Bard~Bone Charm~Kite Shield,Vampire~Sling,Seer]},sl:1},p:[10],s:43024114,v:3011r}`

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Farquar posted:

Can anybody figure out why my vampire with Underdog isn't doing double damage to a zombie with full health? I'm already well past this, but couldn't figure out if this was a bug or just some logic I was missing.

code:
`{c:[1512c,15Z4c,1573c,15Z4c,1302,2064,2153,2260,4],d:{l:{m:[Zombie,Zombie,Zombie]},m:[Monster Blank,Choozy],n:11,p:{e:[Chakram],h:[Gambler~D,Scrapper~Burning Blade,Bard~Bone Charm~Kite Shield,Vampire~Sling,Seer]},sl:1},p:[10],s:43024114,v:3011r}`

It's a bug that's on my list. I think self-heal screws with the logic. Thanks for the paste

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Tann posted:

It's a bug that's on my list. I think self-heal screws with the logic. Thanks for the paste

If it helps, in the next fight, it was working as expected. It only seemed to not work against those zombies.

Still the GOAT phone game, btw.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are these Cats an unlockable class or is that from a Mode I still haven't unlocked

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I've had 2 runs where Braid did not work for any character except the one who first had it. Galaxy S20+

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

are these Cats an unlockable class or is that from a Mode I still haven't unlocked

At 50 achievements, you unlock Green heroes, and the housecat is a tier 1 green.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DLC Inc posted:

You unlock them when you unlock green heroes (by getting any 50 achievements)

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Haha yes, finally had RNG go my way with Unfair choose heroes.

Avoided thorns early game and managed to roll into 3 sparkies to carry my mid game with their charged attacks. Dragon was pretty iffy but I barely pulled through by having my lower 2 heroes dodge his poison and then killed him on my 3rd turn.

I'm kinda done with hard modes, I just want a dumb easy mode for babies - give me like guaranteed +10 item and level up choices and just let me go wild assembling the dumbest combos possible.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Thankfully heaven exists, and you can get a 20 point blessing that is +10 to item rarity which is exactly as busted as you'd expect.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Einwand posted:

Thankfully heaven exists, and you can get a 20 point blessing that is +10 to item rarity which is exactly as busted as you'd expect.

Yeah like Heaven but without random blessings thanks.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Fair. I think there's a full custom mode somewhere but never touched it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Tann posted:

You can download an apk if you buy on itch

dirby posted:

Real glad I read this before buying in the Android app.

Tann posted:

it sounds like you bought it on itch.io before
Ah, thanks!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

Haha yes, finally had RNG go my way with Unfair choose heroes.

Avoided thorns early game and managed to roll into 3 sparkies to carry my mid game with their charged attacks. Dragon was pretty iffy but I barely pulled through by having my lower 2 heroes dodge his poison and then killed him on my 3rd turn.

I'm kinda done with hard modes, I just want a dumb easy mode for babies - give me like guaranteed +10 item and level up choices and just let me go wild assembling the dumbest combos possible.

Just did the same achievement (also got dragon, definitely the easiest boss for it), think I had start damaged and +3 monster left or something, as long as I alpha striked the curses didn't matter much. All finished on the official achievements now

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Wish mode rules

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Is there any streamers/youtubers who play this that are not insanely cringe? I am mostly looking for people who would play classic unfair+ runs and talk through their decision making.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Is there any streamers/youtubers who play this that are not insanely cringe? I am mostly looking for people who would play classic unfair+ runs and talk through their decision making.

Celerity on twitch was streaking unfair a few days ago and I've always enjoyed his streams.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Jerkface posted:

Maybe LethalFrag and uhh...either ExtraTricky or DarkTwinge?

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Woahhhh, didn't even notice this got deployed to Steam. Purchased, got annihilated by a Troll King, 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Up until 3.0 it was android only I believe so it was designed for touch so I doubt there was much if any demand for controller use.

e: I'm ages late in this reply hadn't refreshed