Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dhamster posted:

-Cleanse is your friend due to all the bad status effects out there. It's not a bad idea to hold out for Monk or Cleric as your Tier 2 gray, and a Red with cleanse sides.

Lack of Cleanse is what almost always dooms every Unfair attempt I make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

Yes why don't I just hit this hero with 4 poison in one turn. No you can't kill me in one turn because I'm a boss lady.

I once had a run with a hero that had the item that increased die sides for each stack of poison you had. And had another hero with Undying. Then I got to add the rampage affix or whatever to the first hero. It was so broken I was trying to figure out how to give another hero a poison attack so I could give the first one more poison.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

And when we say "a flush of hero types on unfair or harder" we mean "don't even bother", right?

Some people have chained unfair wins together in a row. Some of us have done it once, and have since given up. Some of us have never even beaten Hard.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

norp posted:

I got my poo poo kicked in by dragon on my closest attempt

The easiest dragon wins i've ever had were poison based. Upgrading that die face that triples it's poison amount to quadrupling it gave me a 3 turn dragon win.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arzaac posted:

Full blue is ludicrous, because man those classes are balanced around only having one of them.

By the endgame, every character contributes a bunch of mana, and you have a class that can deal 2 + mana damage, a class that can double your current mana, a class that lets you reuse a different class' die, and 5 different spells to spend your 40 mana you just made in one turn.

Getting growth on a cantrip side and having a bunch of reroll die faces is hillarious.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So, does cursed mode count a replaced curse in the total? Like if I had the one that heals the most damaged mob by 1, and then immediately replaced it with the one that heals it by 2, does that mean I have 2 curses or 1 curse now?

Because if it's the latter, that sucks cause the 2nd curse is a lot worse than the first.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tann posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The curse upgrades and overrides the old effect, they get healed by 2 total if you have the upgrade. The crossed-out one counts for that one achievement that references number of curses?

That is what I was getting at. If the crossed out curse counts for my total curses for that achievement.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jows posted:

Man I don't know how y'all do it on hard and unfair. I've yet to beat normal and got spanked on my last easy run :(
On the demo I didnt have any problems on normal and beat hard a couple times. Lvls 13-20 add a lot!

Practice and luck really. You have to play enough to find the balance between "Good enough" and "one more try is worth it". And knowing what synergies to look for in class/item combos.

And luck in getting the good class/item combos, and, well, it's dice based so luck will always play a role.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't know how you could do it, but it would be cool if there was like a big "FINISH THEM" button that came up when you could do a full board clear with one die like this, and have some neat animation kick off.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I did try to do a few runs without ever undoing anything, because I thought there might be an achievement for it. But I always hosed it up at some point.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've still never won an unfair regular run. I've barely managed one with a custom party. I have given up.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

My only victory with an all grey team in custom party was using weaker enemies on easy mode, and got lucky with a dragon egg drop.

That combined with an iron heart and silver pendant on a stalwart made me squeek by the dragon boss.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I like to speed run easy classic. See how fast I can just smash through everything.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Too see how high it can go!

Time to test if the dev used a large enough variable.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Is Demo-Unfair like a shorter version because I still have never beat unfair.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea the farthest i've been is 16/20 unfair. It's quite a hard target.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Miftan posted:

It's all doable. There's some nutcases on the discord that have reached 150+ on cursed mode and have 5+ unfair streaks.

That person is a warlock and is using eldritch magic. I count that as cheating!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I really enjoy the fact that there are totally broken combos you can get. Most other games would patch that out, but just the random nature of the game means that you can't COUNT on getting them. It's just a nice thing that happens sometimes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I just picked it up again after showing it to a friend of mine (Who texted me at 2am the next morning to complain to me about why did I show him this game he has to go to work in 6 hours) and have just been playing easy and having a lot of fun.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redleader posted:

imo the rare times you get an absolutely broken combo running is a well-deserved treat, to make up for all the other times you wipe out on cursed:12 or whatever

Yup, I was talking about that with my friend I recently hooked on the game. That it happens rarely enough to make you feel absolutely wonderful and not bad at all about breaking the game over your knee and playing pickup sticks with the pieces.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Extra hard difficulty modes?!?

Wtf is unfair supposed to be?

Also shout out to listing not adding music. I lolled

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I know that letting enemies run away has no impact on gameplay. But it triggers a Chase and kill predatory system inside me somehow and I absolutely hate to let them run away. Watching that last goblin flee infuriates me

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

One of the final bosses now has an ability that damages your bottom party member when you use mana. Which is a new kick in the nuts.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I love how I keep finding NEW THINGS and NEW KEYWORDS

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So, I had Three-of-a-kind on the Caldera in that screen cap, which gave the triple keyword to the heart there. "Triple: x3 if this has the same value as the 2 previously-used dice this turn". I tried using the other two dice that are 2 pip but the heart wouldn't get tripled. Am I not reading this right?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arzaac posted:

In that screenshot the heart side doesn't actually have triple (it should be a small 3 in the bottom left corner). Are you sure it didn't get removed through like, an item interaction?

I'm not and I lost that run in the next fight so I have no way of checking.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yup. That was it.

Also when trying to get to this screen I was in a run, so I hit save.

God I love this game.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

distortion park posted:

Heavy is just a really bad keyword and I try and avoid it when at all possible.

Not an empty quote. heavy is a trap.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arzaac posted:

Honestly I think heavy is fine, there are plenty of fights where a strong heavy attack will simply solve it for you. You just also really desperately need heavy to not be your only option.

I guess I'm thinking of Bash in particular for that. The 5 damage heavies are nice but when you really need something else both the 7 damage exert and stun are really solid sides. The 2 damage steel is a bit more situational but you can absolutely pop off with the right combo. Good hero.

Given how important finishing off enemies is, limiting your target selection is very bad. That's why ranged things are almost always the best choice.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Played through the demo and liked it a lot, so I went ahead and bought the game.

Hoo boy hard 20 levels is not messing around. My 7yo was a little perturbed by the difficulty!

On the previous version I never beat unfair on classic. I have yet to beat normal in classic in the updated version.

Game rules.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I still don't really get what mana bomb does, and every time it's come up i've been in the middle of a really good run and don't want to chance it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hexia having a wall of HP, reflected damage, AND mana burn is a fucker and I hate hexia more than any other boss now.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wax Seal's wording really made me think that was going to work differently.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've noticed that I relied heavily on broken item combos in my previous games because I still haven't beaten hard yet.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ebola Dog posted:

I'm guessing getting the thimble on the bottom hero would also prevent mana burn damage as it prevents all damage during your turn.

Literally my only hard win so far. Also adding Era to all the wizards other sides meant my wizard was doing like 10damage sword attacks on Hexia and the Demons they summon. Everyone else was playing defensive and killing imps/bones.

Also whats the difference between Blursed and Cursed? I'm doing my first cursed run now.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I just got the blessing that gives Cruel to Burst and the fact that it works on shielding party members at half health is rad and came as a surprise.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

poo poo I need to pick bowl more often.

Also is there a custom party blursed mode I haven't unlocked yet?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

To be fair there are a fair number of items that make the Wizard really handy. And at the very least they can bump one of your others by 1 the whole fight.

And their spell is pretty rad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah Wizard really depends on your items and party. If you get the right stuff he becomes absolutely insane. Like I said before in this thread, Egg Basket + Silk Cape is a combo that is just absolutely hilarious on him.

I gave a wizard that thing that gives all side Era and he basically soloed hexia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MerrMan posted:

Been going for the 'no items equipped' achievement and god drat it's harder than I thought. It's teaching me that the items are doing more work than I thought they were.

The biggest problem I had with that one was remembering to take them all off for the last fight.