Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Uncle ShortyB posted:

gently caress this dude. That poor fish.

Also how the gently caress do you not kick his rear end to the curb when he pepper sprays a roommate the first time? Maybe I'm just not as conflict-averse as this (potentially fictional) dude is but like, you torture and kill a living creature I have an emotional attachment to just to be rude to me, you don't have a place to live. There is no being on the fence about kicking this dude out, but there is being on the fence over whether or not you're gonna get your rear end kicked.

This is what gets me with so so many of these stories. Apparently a huge number of people just have zero spine or self respect and will put up with everything or have come to normalize incredibly hosed up poo poo because they've just not experienced anything else. "Hey my mom tried to cut off my daughter's hand for the 3rd time, feel bad going no contact though as family will get mad. Just going to try to keep knives away from her when she visits." "Hi my dog's in the vet again after my girlfriend poisoned him again but I can't afford the vet bills since she stole all the money from my account. I feel I'd be in the wrong breaking up because she has anxiety issues" "My roommate is actively shooting at me right now, forgive grammar as I'm posting on my phone behind a makeshift barrier dodging bullets. Roommate is unemployed so if we kick him out he might have trouble finding a new place, would I be the rear end in a top hat if we did?"

Like its just insane what people can put up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The worst are those weird mother in law subs where they can't just say "husband" or "fiance" or "boyfriend" or "mom" or "MIL" , everything is some stupid sub-specific acronym like: "So my DDBO5Y* got into a fight with my ATBM** and now my DBHS*** is threatening to go NC"

*Dearest Darling Boyfriend of 5 years
** Awful Terrible Bio-Mom
*** Darling Boyfriend's Horrible Sister

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've had quite a few jewish friends with extremely racist parents, but they never saw themselves as racist. To them it was always excused by "our people were nearly wiped out through genocide, we need to rebuild and repopulate and maintain our culture" and some would go as far as "If your wife isn't the exact correct type of jew you're basically finishing what hitler started"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, there's been so many stories along those lines where a parent has a few kids and one of them is autistic so suck up 99% of the parenting energy with the rest of the kids left with scraps at best. Plus of course the kids being expected to become the autistic kids caretaker once older. Then the kids end end fleeing.

It feels like we as a society should have a lot more resources for parents in situations like that to help avoid those sort of situations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What sort of person waits hours for someone who's late? 10 min? 15 min? maybe 30 if they let you know they're running late but still coming. But hours!!?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tarkus posted:

I think it's a form of disrespect and aggression. I assure you that for most of these people if there were $1000 waiting for them if they were there on time, they would be. For people that are perpetually late I usually tell them to come for a time earlier than the real time and then they are late less often.

Yeah I just stop inviting people like that to things. They can show up on time to work, they can show up on time to doctor's appointments where they'd be out money as a no-show. Dinner? 45 min late because they "lost track of time" or "getting ready took longer than they thought" or the most common excuse of not even bothering to make an excuse. They were just gaming or scrolling or something and knew they were late but their immediate enjoyment was far more important than making their friends wait for them.

Ultimately it's just being a self centered sack of poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd just tell people to knock it off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dik Hz posted:

Virtually every person who says they were screwed by the courts on custody just says that because "I didn't actually want custody of my kids" doesn't garner sympathy.

My kid mind controlled and forced me to abandon them by being kind of annoying.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

HOA people actually fully believe something like a wheelchair ramp will "lower property values". They are fully insane, it's a property value cargo cult. If they read in a real-estate magazine that child bones have been linked to a possible 0.1% increase in property values they would fully start murdering children, for the greater good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a bunch of places in europe where the borders were set at a river but the river has moved but he old borders remain. Rivers don't make great borders.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

100% believe rabies woman. We had a fairly recent case where some idiot 20-something saw a "bat acting really weird" so of course instantly got out his phone to try to earn some tiktok cred. Went over and picked up the bat and handled it while laughing about how weird the bad was acting. Eventually threw it down after it bit him. What a funny video.

He died. None of his idiot friends knew what rabies was. They knew he was bit and everyone agreed to just wait and see how he felt, only went to the doctor after symptoms started.

Also this is canada so there was no financial consideration to seeing the doctor.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 17, 2021

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Who the gently caress greenlit a "Most Annoying" award in the first place?

A huge part of the bullying problem in a lot of schools flows straight from the top.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I skip every poly story because there's only ever 2 of them. Either a group of gross weird people decide they all really want a poly lifestyle and it ends up imploding due to poly drama, or one person in a couple pushes hard to go poly and then regrets it.

I feel like anyone wanting to try being poly should have to read 100 of these stories before they do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy gently caress I never realized how much traffic AITA gets, that last story has only been up a few hours and tons of comments have thousands of votes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just lol at subsidized girlfriend. 25k in credit card debt she hasn't been able to pay down despite nearly her entire life being subsidized. I've known people like this, grew up middle class with parents who paid for their everything and never learned to budget or even understand money in any way. No matter how much money you give them they will always be in debt. They always live just a little beyond their means since they have no concept of what their means are. When they're struggling with a lovely 30k a year job they'll be 20k in debt. Give them a 100k a year job and now they're 50k in debt. They get a 300k inheritance and they just buy a bunch of poo poo instead of paying their debts off and since they bought a bigger house and a new car and a boat which all require upkeep they didn't budget for they're now 100k in debt. They're always just totally confused by it all too, it's just so gosh darn hard to deal with finance stuff!\

The worst part is they never act like its their own fault and use their debt to demand sympathy and help from others. Constantly dropping little woe is me comments about their finances or requests for friends to cover costs of group activities. And again, no matter how much help they get they will always forever be in debt and they never have the slightest understanding why.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was always totally shocked at how this fairly rich girl I knew was constantly in financial woe is me mode. When out for dinner she'd never order extravagant things and she didn't really eat and drink out a lot unlike a lot of my friends who probably spend like 1k a month on that. Like I mentioned she'd always pull the "guys I just can't afford to pitch in evenly for the group trip this year... I can't come" and wait for everyone to offer to cover her share. I knew she had a lot of hobbies but they all were things that were generally low cost hobbies. She did photography for fun but already had a few cameras. She was super into a variety of dances, but other than some outfits and shoes that's not a super expensive hobby. She painted, which I know canvas and art supplies can be expensive but she actually did a side business painting for clients that turned a profit. Her parents were rich and she married money too. So how, HOW was she constantly so hard up???

Finally found out from friends closer with her the sort of poo poo that was going on.

-Was constantly buying incredibly expensive photography equipment, always new never 2nd hand. Thought with just the right cameras and lenses she could make money at it so would sink like 10k in a year on photography stuff.
-Had like 50+ extremely expensive dance outfits and bought new ones nearly monthly, would often get them extensively tailored and modified. Thousands a year spent on this.
-Outright bought a dance studio. Why rent some dance studio space you use once or twice a week when you can buy the studio... and then take over its lease which is far more than what you were paying to rent time before. Apparently this HAD to be done because her schedule was unpredictable so she needed a studio space ready to go 24/7 and the studio she liked near her was going to shut down so she offered to buy it without even asking about what the lease was or what the costs would be.
-Her husband considered himself a pro house-flipping and real-estate guru. They somehow consistently lost money flipping in Vancouver 2008-2015 when it was impossible to lose money. Instead of buying dumps and fixing them up they bought "only the best" properties that had already been extensively renovated then expected to make hundreds of thousands selling it again only a year later. They did make more money than they paid for, but not enough to cover the soft costs and upkeep.
-They didn't understand zoning was a thing and bought a property with the idea of building container houses on it. They also didn't know anything about construction costs or technology or that container houses are an awful fad.
-Somehow would do everything the most expensive or least efficient way possible. If there was a way to flip a house without paying much in taxes and a way of doing it at a massive tax hit, they'd do the latter. They'd seemingly purposefully structure their debt to be at the highest possible interest rates. Just constantly engineering everything the worst possible way.
-Refused to take any advice or research things properly. They were experts and you can only succeed in life by taking risks and being bold. For example the container house obsession was launched by them seeing a 5 min youtube video and that was enough for them. They also were very secretive about their plans because they didn't want to hear naysayers or get unsolicited advice.

But don't worry, they're doing great because every few years they'd go to one of their parents begging for a bailout because they're just poor smol beans who don't understand money and if they don't get a bailout they might lose their house. I don't really see them anymore but I'm sure they're still in debt somehow.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

oh jay posted:

If you're already well off, you can fail this many times and more by having separate LLCs for each venture. Latching on to the Dance Studio example, I have an acquaintance who is on her fourth studio right now, because she lost no personal money when each one went under, and knows where to go to for fundraising when it's time to buy a new one.

I love how multiple failed dance studios is just a thing in the dance world.

See this is what I was talking about when I said she'd do everything the worst way possible. There was no LLC, it was just a personal purchase and everything related to the studio just went on her regular credit cards. So all the debt she accrued from running a studio she couldn't quite afford was personal credit card debt. They'd do everything that way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Absolutely do not associate with Disney Adults. They may seem quirky and harmless on the surface but these are universally dangerous broken people.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of boomers have huge chips on their shoulders that current generations aren't really feeling forced in this idea of getting married and having kids because it's what you're supposed to do. They raised 3 kids they barely tolerated and stayed with their horrible nag wife so the kids would have 2 parents and now people just... aren't!?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If a landlord can't fix a problem within a day or two the property should be given to the tenant. Don't like it? Don't be a landlord.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah this happens every time there's a disaster of some sort.

Landlords during a disaster: We are all victims of this situation, we must put aside our normal expectations and petty legalistic interpretations of the tenancy act and come together to get through this, not as landlords or tenants, but together as human beings.

Landlords immediately after a disaster: Although it hurts my heart, I've had to start eviction proceedings on 12 of my 15 tenants. I understand the recent disaster hurt many people's finances but rent is sacrosanct and agreements were signed, this is all correct in the eyes of the law.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for outing my ex as gay to get his mother off my back?

I'm fine with people defending themselves in situations where that results in outing someone, but this ex had no reason to out them. Sure the ex is a huge piece of poo poo but... just block the mother? Don't talk to the family?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is this a thing people actually do, host large numbers of people for multiple days?? I remember as a kid on Christmas there'd be maybe 15-20 people visiting throughout the day, or sometimes someone would host a christmas party or dinner or something that could see large attendance but it was never like... a multi day thing. Who wants to hang out with the same 15-25 family members for multiple days?? I never heard of anyone doing this. Maybe they'd be hosting a single family member who had to travel, but only for a couple days. But the entire family 24 hours a day for 5 days?!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If she at all understood her role as the wife of the patriarch and wife of someone experiencing grief she should have planned for this already perhaps with catering lined up and some temporary portable housing rented. It's a shocking display of both insubordination and borderline emotional abuse of a grief-stricken victim. Absolutely the rear end in a top hat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's so pathetic and awful to see how thoroughly stockholm syndrome'd so many workers are there days. The whole world of tech is specially bad for that. Like everyone has solidarity with their boss and sees their fellow workers only as potential rivals and people who aren't carrying their weight.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"unprofessional" is starting to trigger a twitch in my face the same was "respect" already does as a term that has lost all meaning and is just used to bully people.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This dude couldn't get past the "pick up that can" section of Half Life 2.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Sneaking legally binding jargon into my RSVP cards so that I can sue (I never would, but I could) the bridal party if and when they fail to take my "be more beautiful" threats seriously.

But not TOO beautiful or you'd be purposefully upstaging the bride and stealing her attention. Attention theft is a very real crime that even eclipses wage theft, yet when you talk about it people call you a "narcissist" or "bridezilla". Really makes u think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol people outside of movies actually do all those petty and obvious social power game stuff? It's so obvious and pathetic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Apparently Putin does this to an extreme extent too. Like doesn't make it subtle at all. Apparently Merkle is afraid of dogs, Putin found out and just had a big dog roaming around during a meeting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the most pathetic are people who are not actually assholes, they're just stupid dumb cargo cult idiots who read about a power handshake in some "10 tricks boost your management power level!!" article and thinks they're simply supposed to do all that poo poo to be an effective boss or negotiator.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People who constantly make the entire apartment building stink deserve a little brutalization from the police. Zero sympathy for folks who constant smoke in multi-unit buildings even after neighbours and landlord all tell them to knock it off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've known people made homeless because of horrible neighbours blasting smoke in the building non-stop making it unlivable for anyone with any sort of allergies or just not wanting to smell that crap all day. I'd love for there to not be police though, so some sort of citizens militia could come and force selfish assholes like that to knock it the gently caress off. That's a huge problem in our society, there's no escalation steps between "meekly ask someone to stop filling your building with smoke" and "police violence". A non-lovely landlord should actually deal with the situation, that's their job to enforce rules and start eviction process when people ruining the building for everyone else won't let up but most landlords are lazy pieces of poo poo who don't care about their tenants.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nasty nosy busy bodies exist everywhere. In Russia they take the form of a gang of older ladies who would spend all day on chairs outside of the apartment door gossiping with each other and tracking and commenting on every single person that came and went. They would report everything they could to the authorities to get anyone breaking any sort of rule in trouble, and took delight in spreading rumours and causing fusses over petty minor poo poo. It was just pre-internet nextdoor. The same malicious gossip and snitching culture.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've seen quite a few along those lines. People are dating and get to know the family, they break up and the family goes insane demanding they get back together. Like who you date isn't a personal choice but something the whole family needs to consent to. I always wonder if there's something more going on but can never figure out what.

I actually had a real life friend go through something a little like this. Dated a lady for a few years but the relationship wasn't good and the reasons of course were private. She really ingratiated herself with his family, specially the mom who already saw her as her daughter in law and the daughter she never had. They broke up for good reasons but it was all stuff the family didn't know about since its personal, but the ex kept her relationship with the mom and family. Next thing you know there's massive pressure to get back together and "How could you have been so selfish and not thought of me and MY relationship with my daughter in law!" poo poo from the mom. Guy ends up going low contact with his mom and family because they simply will not let up on trying to get them back together and the ex is invited to every single family dinner or event.

Eventually the mom and family figure out the ex was broken up with because she's loving nuts and just good at hiding it. Then get mad at my friend for not explaining why they broke up in greater detail and warning them that she was a manipulative psycho. He did of course explain a lot of that when they broke up but of course they didn't listen or accept.

In this case I understood what was going on, the mom saw the ex as the daughter she never had and always wanted and clung to that. In other cases though I just don't get it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking my neighbour to move her craft room to a different bedroom

loving lol. I'm insane about noisy neighbours in multi-family situations but it sounds like downstairs is barely making any sounds at all but upstairs is just insane and hyper-fixated on someone daring to work from home. Meanwhile she's got noisy kids bouncing off the walls all day and downstairs doesn't care.

Better soundproofing between units should really be standard to avoid these sort of conflicts, but I have a feeling this woman would be driven to a rage just from the idea that a bedroom was being used for filthy low class "work" instead of proper middle class sleeping only.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend has 3 kids from her ex. He is nearly totally uninvolved and a huge piece of poo poo, just one of the worst people I've even known about personally. Lazy sack of poo poo who won't lift a finger to help the kids, but the moment he finds out there's something he can do to make everyone's lives miserable he will go to the ends of the earth to accomplish it. For instance her kids had a chance to fly across the country to visit their grandparents for a week. He found out and got a lawyer (he has no money but he ponied up for this!) in order to legally block the kids from leaving the province without his permission as is his legal right. Any time an out of province trip is an option for the kids, he does the same thing and jumps through all the legal hoops to block the kids from going as it violates his parental rights and he has a veto. It's not because he wants to see them or spend time with them, he just loves to flex these sort of powers and make life miserable for his ex and kids.

And when he DOES spend time with the kids he spends the entire time ranting about his ex, their mom. While she does her best to not totally poison their relationship or tell them he's why they can't go on trips or see family, he uses every chance he can to talk poo poo about her. "Daddy can't afford food because mommy makes daddy give her all his money" (he's too poor to pay child support, she actually pays him) or "I can't afford to buy birthday presents because even though mommy is rich she doesn't let me have enough money to buy you things" (she's a struggling single mom looking after 3 kids). He'll also mention how his ex ruined his life and how one day he'll just kill himself over it. Great poo poo to tell your kids.

He's also called the cops on his kids a few times.

Just an absolute garbage person. He's too garbage to even off himself, just uses it to manipulate everyone around him.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why's she my friend or why hasn't someone taken care of this dude yet?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love this thread. Sometimes the anecdotal related stories are great, sometimes I scroll on by them. The insane derails and heated arguments are fantastic too. If i just wanted to read reddit I'd read reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah like any building is a "collaboration" between various designers and the developer. An architecture firm will produce the plans and the developer builds the building. That developer can't then recycle those plans over unless it was specified in the contract. If you are purchasing plans with the goal of mass-production rather than a one-off that would be a different sort of contract.