Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Erainor posted:

30 million people play MTG. I don't get the obsession, but I have friends who do. Will a court actually hear a case about Magic cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the fact that Blade happens to be a daywalker doesn't mean the world doesn't need vampire hunters

One time when I was maybe a bit high I saw this guy walking into a convenience store with a bike helmet on and I invented an elaborate backstory where his mother had been bitten by a cyclist while he was still in the womb, blade-style, and i pointed at him and yelled “helmetwalker” and then immediately turned and left the store.

I never did see a bicycle so I assume my backstory was correct

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Woodchip posted:

I (34M) got a new haircut and now my (36F) wife hasn't spoke to me in 24 hours

The MacGyver Mullet is BACK, baby!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

teen witch posted:

Well something might be going loose so tangentially. Loss: Gaiden

A fetus “getting loose” is a hell of a new term for a miscarriage, at least to me!

Like at the dog shelfter when a dog gets off the leash and they all yell “loose dog!”, i am imagining a bunch of nurses running around the NICU yelling “loose zygote, loose zygote!”

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mx. posted:

My boss cried when I asked for a raise

I can’t understand who this person actually works for because “manager” and “boss” are the same thing as far as i know.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

sullat posted:

How marital property is divided is complicated and depends from state to state, but yeah, hiding assets is generally a big no-no.

In states where stuff you owned before a marriage stays yours after a marriage, usually the key to this is to not sell it or otherwise realize the potential income. Like if you own a share of stock and sell it during the marriage the income from that sale is joint property but you could have just not it and owned the share of stock yourself after a divorce. If you have a big wad of cash earning interest you can set up systems that sweep that interest into another account so your original cash pile doesn’t mix with the interest income it generated. So a transaction to another account is probably gonna look like a sale to a judge.

If he gave like 5 bitcoins to a friend as a “gift” then ok maybe but you gotta pay federal taxes on gifts over some limit like $12k/year (might be higher now but not 5 bitcoins high) so enjoy your ex wife reporting you to the irs.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DoctorWhat posted:

My co-op in NYC doesn't allow dishwashers to be installed even if you can make the space for one.

What about a human live-in dish bitch, like a guy in a latex gimp suit on a leash who is tied up next to a big wash tub and immediately washes any dishes you physically throw at him while talking about how worthless he is?

*someone* in NYC will do that for free

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 27, 2021

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

MarcusSA posted:

No but seriously how often to people actually get their windows gwashed where it would be a thing you need a regular guy for?

I live in a glass and steel hi rise and we get them washed like once every 6 months. Can’t see a suburban home being more often than that.

Edit: not in a coastal area, tho. Makes sense that you might need to clean salt off more often.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 28, 2021

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm calling fake just because gamer gf found Breath of the Wild "too difficult".

I definitely found it had a hurdle that could be discouraging right when you first leave the plateau, you have no real weapons and die pretty easily, even if there really aren’t any consequences to dying repeatedly.

That said if you can plug away away at it for a solid ~8 hours it gets really fun later, when you aren’t dying all the time and you can actually move around the map a bit.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Ouhei posted:

I half expected the part where the grandparents and rest of the family coming was going to be the OP just getting kicked more, but them tearing the parents a new one was a nice twist.

At first i was like “this is gonna end up with ‘and then everyone stood up and clapped’ kinda bullshit” and i didn’t buy it until they mentioned that the grandparents are bankrolling it all.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Strategic Tea posted:

But you need a separate appliance - the jug that you fill with water and put in the microwave?

No you put the teabag in the cold water in the mug, put that in the microwave and hit the +30 second button 3 times.

You can also leave the spoon in the mug while you microwave if you want to stir in some honey and need another 30 second zap, because spoons don’t have sharp corners. Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 31, 2021

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for Banning My Son From Trick or Treating for Framing our Dog?

Yeah no, kid-shitter stays the gently caress home.

when i was like 4 years old i didnt want to miss sesame street to take a piss so i pissed into the sound hole of my dad’s acoustic guitar that was sitting on a guitar stand in the living room. I knew it was an extremely bad move and i didn’t even need any other punishment than my mom coming back in the room while i was mid piss and saying “what the HELL are you doing??” but I remember he had to replace the guitar and I felt really lovely about it and I have only pissed in piss-appropriate places since!* And i still remember this at age 40 today.

Canceling trick or treating is pretty severe but at 8 you *definitely* know you’re playing with fire (fire means turds in this context).

*some exceptions in college

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cumshitter posted:

This is insane. I don't even work at a large company and when our HR person called the coffee supply people to ask how much they were charging they freaked out and thought we were shopping around, so they gave us a free keurig and started sending us cups for no additional charge. Charging your employees for coffee is absolute horse poo poo, you want them to drink coffee and be more productive.

Also that post has got to have like a minimum of $100 worth of rewards on it.

At my last job a dude sent a company site wide email demonstrating, with an extremely back of the envelope calculation, that the company was paying more for an employee making $65k/year to walk to to the cafe on the north side of the site to get the free coffee vs. installing coffee machines in each floor’s break room.

We had the same coffee machines in the break rooms next week.

I mostly think this was because they wanted to back up his calculations based on the average employee making $65k/year (that dude was waaaaaaaay underpaid if that is what he made).

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

deety posted:

Is it ridiculous for me (19f) to break up with my bf (27m) over a stressful Halloween party?

The fact that the boyfriend was deliberately trying to undermine this woman and ruin her night and she's too inexperienced to tell feels like a pretty good example of why this kind of age gap is hosed up. Also lol at his, "oh, wow, hon, your friends are totally gonna think [my actual thoughts]" act.

Someone needs to tell this girl she can just leave
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112?s=21

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I do like the ones where the husband gets fired and it turns out something insane is going on like he punched someone at the Christmas party or he got laid of 6 months ago and has been driving to a parking lot and sitting in the car for 8 hours a day

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pentyne posted:

edit: lol I just remember the famous Lowtax hospital picture was basically a gaslight where he had his mom come in and set everything up so he could take that picture.

This is a detail I didn’t know, lol.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Beachcomber posted:

I love 'How do you always catch me?'

Yeah that’s the part where i lost it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
The real end of the HOA story is that the sister of the war veteran (i assume it is she who owns the house) will get foreclosed on by the HOA unless they bring it into compliance because her idiot contractor neighbor didn’t read the architectural guidelines of the HOA he apparently also lives in.

Yelling at the meeting does nothing unless you bring your neighbors around to changing the rules (and angry yelling won’t do that).

It sucks but they literally both signed up for those rules by moving there, so tough poo poo. ADA compliance is great and necessary, but not sufficient, for HOA architectural compliance, read the rules before you start building.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I get it, it’s a pain and neighbors are stupid idiots.

Recently, when installing solar panels on his roof, a friend of mine had to answer a question about whether the solar panels he was installing would be yellow because they were highlighted in yellow in a line drawing, with a key saying “highlighted in yellow to note changes in drawing” or something similar. He had to tell them that no they’ll be gray and they should look at the photos of the panels, not the line drawing.

These people are all idiots but you live next to them and you all signed up to live in this same hell together so your complaints are useless.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

kazr posted:

Ignoring Ada ramping requirements seems like a pretty big deal whether or not rager "contractor" is joe bumpkin or not

Most houses with stairs to the entrance are not ada complaint as built, especially older ones. You still need to get the correct permits from the city, hoa and whoever else before you start building a ramp or you run the risk of doing it all over again.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

TK8325 posted:

I don't get HOAs. What can they even do? Evict you from your own home? Like, just ignore them.

They can fine you, and if you don’t pay the fine, they can foreclose on your house and force you to sell it. Read the terms, and if you don’t want to sign up for it, don’t buy a house with an HOA. If you have one, it is because you opted in to it. It’s really that simple.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Yeah, the HOA can dissolve the HOA if it wants. It’s usually a pretty low bar, like 60-65%, more than a majority but literally everyone.

It still almost never happens unless there is someone wanting to buy the whole neighborhood or complex to redevelop it, and they raise the price high enough that 65% of the owners decide to vote to sell.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DreadUnknown posted:

I feel in my bones that a manacured lawn is a sure sign of a deeply troubled mind.

Lawn having in general is a sign of mental illness.

Even more insane than the HOA drama here: a story about city code enforcement.

This guy in south Austin recently had code enforcement show up with a warrant to mow his lawn (this is a real thing they do, mostly to prevent snakes and other possibly hazardous wildlife from overrunning a lawn, to keep vegetation away from power lines, etc) and when they started mowing, which they had already done several times in the past at his house, he opened fire on them and they called the police and it ended up in a swat standoff where he set fire to the house and eventually got killed by swat.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-shot-by-police-in-southwest-austin-swat-standoff-last-week-identified/

Google maps (it looks a little ragged here but not “call the city” put of control, I have no idea if it was worse when they started mowing):

Now:

Don’t have a lawn, folks. If the HOA doesn’t make you maintain the lawn, the city lawn mowing team will.

No lawns ever.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, no, her expectations were hosed up to begin with. You shouldn't plan destination weddings without considering how your friends and family will afford it, ditto for the dresses and hair and makeup.

Plus the expectation that everyone needs to stay in the resort and attend her at all times like a royal entourage. That's the red flag that this is a Queen For A Day fantasy and not a wedding.

#1 rule of destination weddings is don't do it unless you want to:

A) Pay the way for some (or all) of the wedding party

or

B) Expect at least a few people in the wedding party to decline

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DoubleNegative posted:

This discussion is reminding me of that time when I was a kid when my family had this container of chocolates from around the world. Most of them were fine or even delicious. But one of the little bars from somewhere in Europe tasted like loving ham. It's really disconcerting to bite into what you think is chocolate, only to taste pork.

Chocolate bars with bacon in were all over the place a few years ago.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
That’s peanuts. I have been in a group chat with just 8 elder millennials ever since ios messages moved off of sms, and it still gets 400-500 messages per day, like 16-20 messages per hour.

100 zoomers should be able to do way better than 100 messages an hr.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

theflyingexecutive posted:

At face value, if the brother was well-off enough to not need the <$20k (after lawyers fees and liquidation and everything), yes it's hosed up to send someone, even if they were mean to you, to the charnel house that is an American prison and get their house foreclosed. If he has already moved way out of town and gone NC, it's inevitably going to be more emotionally damaging to drag up all these emotions surrounding his dead mother while simultaneously sending his own sister to jail over a few thousand dollars.

I tend to agree, if they had a good relationship, but it’s the consequences of her own actions. She poisoned the relationship so I don’t see how she could expect them to be friendly to her now. Don’t steal from people and expect it to work out for you.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

a tesla SUV

I want to say this is a comedy post because there is no way that exists, but I know that would just inspire someone to post pictures of the tesla SUV and I don't want that.

oh you sweet summer child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0nUwmZhrc

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

i specifically requested the opposite of this :mad:

but at least you get to watch it break

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ad090 posted:

WIBTA: Hired with a fired coworker

wow imagine loving the taste of assholes or bootleather so much that you post this. making below minimum wage at a restaurant, desperately crab bucketing their way through life, makes me sad

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
You, an idiot: buying fresh meat and crispy veg right before cooking and also goin for a walk

Me, a genius: brining my meats to last a fortnight and making preserves for the village

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mx. posted:

Someone else's used condom stuck to my [35M] leg while hooking up with my [31F] ex-wife at her house.

it really takes all kinds doesnt it

i had a friend who wasn't the most clean person who moved into a studio apartment that had a pull out bed sofa combo thing. Like, pack up the sheets, and the mattress tucks halfway back into the wall and becomes a seating surface.

i went over to watch a movie one time and he was cleaning up as i arrived. pulling the sheets off the bed, a bunch of grated cheese fell out onto the floor. which didn't really make sitting on it as a sofa appealing.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

blight rhino posted:

I don't know if i'd call myself asexual. I'm heavily medicated on happy pills, so that doesn't really help.

But I just got so sick of the drama that always comes with relationships. Like I know there are relationships out there that have little, to no (hah no), no drama.

But it just isn't anything I want to deal with at this time. I was married, and i've had multiple 2+ year relationships. So, I'm not someone that never experienced it.

It just seems like so much work, now a days, and having a poor self image of myself doesn't help. It's kind of easier to just cruise through flying solo. But, I still kind of feel separate from the Reddit's asexuals. Just because..
well, because they seem to have different reasons, than me.

who knows.

This is like when they found fish populations dying off because the fish were getting antidepressants from sewage runoff and were just happy swimming around and not loving.

Which is to say, really sad.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

OhAreThey posted:

I think it's weird that some people are like "a 21 year old virgin?? What a creep!" but think a 14 year old having sex is A-OK!

(to be clear, I'm not saying that you're going to be hosed up if you become sexually active at a young age, especially if it's consensual...just that people seem more comfortable with literal children loving than a virgin in their 20s))

Adults who gently caress teenagers are weird, but teenagers wanting to gently caress each other is extremely normal, and not being able to seal the deal with at least one other teenager before you turn 20 is a red flag.

It’s not a big deal in the long run, but it definitely puts you in the “latest bloomer” quintile, where most other people will have experience with this life step and the emotional experience that comes with it and you won’t.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

kimbo305 posted:

What's the normal place to have sex for teens if they don't go to college and live with their parents? One person's house or the other?
I can't shake the class disparity latent in the question.

Google says the average age for someone in the us to have sex for the first time is 17. So that’s like half of them, before college age, loving in the back of the car or behind the weed smoking tree in the woods or climbing up onto balconies and thru bedroom windows or whatever teens do. Hormones makes you sex crazed and makes you reckless 🤷🏼‍♂️

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Walh Hara posted:

What the heck are you talking about? I really don't understand how anyone could believe this? It reads to me that you only know or talk to people in a very specific cultural niche that are all very similar.

Numbers don’t lie? If the average age is 17 then you are really really on the tail end by the time you are 20-21, like last 5% or something.

If you are the last virgin anyone knows people are gonna worry about it, like, that’s exactly what happened in the post where she’s worried the experience might be too much for him, or that he might not know what he is getting into. The older you get missing out on an experience everyone else has had the more people are gonna wonder if something is wrong.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Walh Hara posted:

Numbers are meaningless though? W.r.t. determining whether it's a red flag you need to know way more about somebody his/her culture and circumstances before you can apply such a ridiculous broad brush.

Plus, if you find stats that important then don't invent them: post a distribution plot to prove your point.

Boom, 90% laid before 22.

So I repeat, if you haven’t had sex at 21, you are an outlier. If you are 25-30 there’s something wrong, and people will wonder what.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's not how statistics work. Let's assume the average is 21, becaunse it makes my life easier; you could fill in the slots with different numbers that average to 17, but my brain is tired. You get the numerical average by adding up all the numbers and dividing by how many numbers you had.

Here are two different sets of numbers that have the same numerical average. (16, 17, 30) and (16, 22, 25). Both add up to 63, divide by 3, get 21. There are lots of other sets of numbers that would get the same average.

Public statistics usually use the "median", in which you count up how many results you have and pick the value in the middle. "The median age at death was 35" means that half the people died before 35, half after. ( A result that low is usually what you get when a lot of children die of infectious diseases.)

So, if I had (15, 15, 21, 30, 40), the median would be 21, because there are two people younger and two people older than 21. If I had (13, 15, 21, 70, 90), the median would also be 21, because again, 2 older, 2 younger.

So if all you know is that 17 is the average -- either the numerical average or the median -- you know very little about what the endpoints are.

I know you need more info than a mean to know the shape of a distribution. look at the graph tho

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

sugar free jazz posted:

lol what do u think an outlier is

You, sitting alone at 25 reading manga and not having sex.