Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I wouldn't be suuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl was a relative of one of the nerdmen, and OP didn't bring it up because he was trying to keep the impression they were grooming her. That said, I also wouldn't be suuuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl wasn't a relative and was just a high schooler who met the group through local anime conventions, in which case uuuh there need to be a lot better boundaries going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

value-brand cereal posted:

As a trans person of color, specifically asian, holy gently caress this is evil. Yeah I'm going by your dead sister's name which isn't even my race, because playing dress up in another persons culture is so much fun XD

Can we add this to the list?

Give me your house, your baby, your half of the inheritance, and your dead siblings name.
If she liked the name Minseo so much she could just pick Mina or something as her name, something that carries the sounds she likes but isn't... this. Like in OP's shoes I'd probably still be a bit weirded out by Mina Susan Lastname but it'd be a lot easier to separate from dead sister.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah as someone who's ex had it, his solutions are divorce or anal since she apparently doesn't want to do therapy or go to a doctor to fix it

Wonder if he's even dated any other women if he thinks she's the perfect woman
I mean they apparently have a satisfying oral sex life so it's not like it's nothing, I really think he needs the information to help talk to her about how this is a known thing, she's not weird or broken, and he loves her and wants to help her.

I really dunno if anal is going to help given the source of the problem.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Midnight Voyager posted:

Or that she's been told forever that it will hurt as one of the ways they try to scare kids from having sex... and so trying to start it DOES because she's clamping up tighter than a bear trap.

I don't know how religious abstinence people expect people to go from "Sex is the devil and will stain you for life and it's a horrible thing you should be ashamed of and it will hurt and lessen your self-worth" to "I am married, a switch is flipped, I will gently caress my husband every time he wants because that will prevent him from sin!" Nothing works that way in the human brain.
That's.. what vaginismus is. A psychological condition that causes people to clench their vaginal canal super hard even when they otherwise want sex.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

It is entirely possible for an otherwise empathetic person to blank and gently caress up in one of the most stressful and sudden situations to be in.

That hypothetical person would not blame her for being mad at him.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Funktastic posted:

AITA for being annoyed when my nephew always orders the most expensive food on the menu?
LMAO that the kid is 11, that's like the perfect age to test stupid boundaries while not understanding the actual problems with food waste on that level. I'm guessing if OP just took the leftovers that he didn't want, that'd also be culturally reflecting badly on him even though the kid is saying he doesn't want them. What I don't get is why his parents are letting him do this multiple times instead of talking to him after one time.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Solenna posted:

Holy poo poo that is rude of the kid. If they're going to talk up cultural values and expect OP to pay for everyone they need to tell their kid to quit being a shithead and show some respect.
I'm not even mad at the kid because he's 11 and testing boundaries is to be expected, I'm mad at his parents because that's when they're supposed to lay out expected boundaries.

EDIT: Like they should have intervened the first time he pulled this or at least intervened after and apologized to OP, 11 is plenty old enough to decide what you want to eat but not if you're going to say 'everything' and then throw away the extra.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It has been a minute since I last took a child psychology course (and in full disclosure, I never finished the psychology program, and dipped out fairly early), but RAD was pretty much solely considered to be caused by some form of incorrect caretaking. Like, if an infant is consistently made to "cry it out" (not a one shot time, but just consistently failing to provide the reassurance and comfort needed), or the sort. It was not considered a biological condition, but a condition caused by circumstances, in this case the child-parent/guardian bond not appropriately forming.

The consensus may have changed since then (this was the early 2000s, and the science is always changing), but that was how it was considered then.
Wasn't it super commonly diagnosed in orphans from Eastern European countries post Cold War where bc of the tight resources it was all caregivers could do to try and meet all the infants' physical needs, and thus the infants usually ended up severely psychologically neglected, eg, never being held, talked to, etc? Really sad situation, because it meant a lot of children ended up at serious disadvantages and it's not like their caregivers were really trying to harm them, there was just a lack of resources and understanding of what babies need at minimum.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Bonster posted:

It's a response to neglect or abuse (predominately neglect) in infancy and early childhood. You sometimes see it in children who have experienced extensive hospitalizations or other types of institutional care, where the neglect may not be intentional but is just a case of too many children per caregiver, or in children who have experienced severe traumatic adjustments. It is not considered to have organic causes, but may be influenced by neurological changes that occur due to neglect (so the neglect causes the brain to develop differently which both causes and is influenced by the child's ability to attach). RAD is uncommon, and in some cases symptoms are better explained by PTSD, oppositional defiant disorder and other anxiety disorders, although it can also be comorbid with them.

RAD was very popular as a diagnosis in "attachment therapy", a pseudo-therapy that has resulted in multiple deaths. Life's hard for some kids.
It's very hosed up with attachment therapy because any attempt by kids to not be abused is then just treated as a symptom of their illness that must be pseudo-scientifically wrung out of them harder.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

limp_cheese posted:

What in the gently caress? Outing a dude as a pedophile on national Tv and there were not immediately cops there to arrest him? And the show knew about this beforehand? Just what the gently caress....
I want to clarify before dropping the topic - the show's premise is that people have to answer intensely personal questions while hooked up to a lie detector, and if they pass 21 questions they get half a million dollars, and I think they can tap out if a question is too much for them. So there's nobody to arrest because it's not evidence-based, it's just reflecting her belief, although it's grim as all hell and should be investigated.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ralph Crammed In posted:

This got skipped over in soda chat cause goons love to talk about junk food, but I really wonder what is the actual story here. How do you get committed to a mental institution on the word of your teenaged daughter? There's a lot of stuff she skims over, like the 'lies' the roommate told about her to her daughter and her anger that the roommate was hanging out in her room all day and 'sneaking around, which is like, if your roommate is crazy you think you'd want.
She definitely wanted her roommate to be a surrogate daughter and give her attention and emotional support without complaint. Hiding in her room was unacceptable because it was setting a boundary.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Given that she swore off anal sex "after a particularly painful incident," I'm guessing he's going about it in the dumbest way possible. Probably in ways that professionals won't be willing to accommodate.
Yeah, especially because he's now trying to pressure her into restarting a sex act she's no longer comfortable with or else he'll cheat and if she complains about it he'll withhold shared finances from her. Like, if he's acting abusively now it doesn't make me extend much good faith to him. He's treating her like a dispensary for his favorite sex act that's malfunctioned and not a person he supposedly loves.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

DemoneeHo posted:

In case you ever have a tiny bit of sympathy for her dad or think maybe OP went too far with her revenge, here are some key details she left out of the initial post:

- OP's dad wrote her and her sister out of the will "for personal reasons"

- He took out multiple life insurance policies on each grandchild belonging to either her sister or Shorty

- Shorty abandoned his kids in the trash house to live at his girlfriend's house
Mostly I just feel sad for the dog.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I mean the real answer is they're not the rear end in a top hat for feeling uncomfortable and wishing they could do a different job and hopefully they'll be able to get one, because even if their religious codes allows for them to handle the food in a circumstance where they can't get another job I'm sure it feels mentally uncomfortable. Having worked in food service before unless they work at the all bacon product cafe there's plenty of other work they can do at almost literally every point in time to make up for someone else taking point on the bacon when someone orders it.

It's just they're looking for external validation in a pretty lovely place for it and asking for it pretty badly.

EDIT: At the same time yeah I don't think they're doing anything wrong by handling bacon, just if the question is 'am I the rear end in a top hat for feeling upset about this' the answer is no because it's... entirely subjective...?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Barudak posted:

I mean, it is pretty clearly haram for her to be selling Bacon products in the first place, so, uh, why is she even at that job.
Money is required to obtain goods and services.

The real question is what the heck sort of retail job doesn't consider food service experience valid.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I thought it was a caffeine thing with Mormons, my understanding is they're pretty strict on any sort of 'mind-altering substance' no matter how normalized/mild, which can cause problems when someone has a legitimate mental disorder that needs medicating. I don't know if there's any official doctrine over taking psychiatric medication in case of serious medical need, but my suspicion is that psychiatric problems are considered something that needs to be prayed away even if there'd be understanding over someone needing to take, say, insulin. Hopefully that can shift in the future with more recognition of mental illness as potentially a physical problem and not a 'spiritual' one.

EDIT: From googling around I also suspect it depends on specific like, sect and stuff, it sounds like mainstream Mormonism is understanding that some issues require prescribed medication to deal with whereas some stricter sects might... disagree.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't understand how someone can be "extremely against infant adoption" to the point that she can "rant for hours about how it should be banned."

I understand not wanting to adopt an infant... but like... what should be done for orphaned or unwanted infants if not put up for adoption? It feel like this isn't a well thought out position.
Charitably it sounds like her husband experienced abuse from his adoptive parents and she took it to the stupidest possible conclusion, which is that adoption is the great evil and not child abuse.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah frankly generally the people who hate kids but know they hate kids so they're not going to have any are doing alright or at least are the rear end in a top hat for other anti-kid actions they take, two people having 0 interest in having a kid but having one anyway bc it's what is done usually ends up pretty badly.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Hughlander posted:

Wall of text but you're never going to know where it'll take you:

AITA for throwing away my gf's umbilical cord?

Update 1 posted to r/witchcraft and r/occult

Update 2 posted to r/mentalhealth

All I can say is I'm very relieved his ex was able to get her umbilical cord pouch back and I hope she's very happy without him, because jesus christ that level of abuse.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

I just don't understand how a person spends more than 20 dollars a month on weed, that gets me blasted out of my mind 3 times a week every week in a month. Flower heating vape pens work very efficiently. Or maybe I am just blessed with low tolerance?

Anyway, content:

AITA for getting my neighbors arrested over weed?
More like YTA for thinking the cops would care you didn't want anyone arrested.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

packetmantis posted:

His description of her body is boiling my blood, christ. :murder:
I'm more personally offended at the assumption that ofc her relationship with her girlfriend won't last and she only thinks she's a lesbian because men have been horrible to her.

Like... just enjoy being friends, OP, because she can make you happy and really click with you, as friends. If you can't manage that because you're also attracted to her, that's on you!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not wanting to waste my winter break to go somewhere with my sister?

I mean going blind isn't that bad, right?

Speaking as someone who housesat this summer, and got roped into watching a teenager (admittedly he was 13 not quite 14) I am levels of LMAO at the idea of a 15 year old being left home alone for two weeks. My nephew forgot to close the exterior door to the house, the garage door multiple times, and, as his parents never have made him do chores at all, left dishes and bowls all over the house for the dogs to get into. He was surprised when I left him with chores to do, as in, not leaving his filthy clothes all over the place.

Ah, to be a teenager again.
Yeah, like, it is unfortunate that his break is going to be a stressful trip stuck with his parents and younger sister, but at least he's not the one with eye cancer. Sometimes unfair things just happen and all you can do is make the best of it! Better he figure that out with a boring break than via getting eye cancer!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'm sympathetic to the 15 year that doesn't want to spend 2 weeks in a hotel with his family. I spent 3 weeks with my family in a nice hotel in a strange city when I was 16. It suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. This was pre-smartphone, but there was a pool and a legitimate breakfast every morning and I've never been so out of my mind with boredom. There wasn't anything near the hotel and I didn't have any money if there had been. My parents were busy and had other stuff on their minds, me and my siblings just went stir-crazy.

At that age you can't drive yourself anywhere and being in a strange city means your friends can't help either. It's not unreasonable for the kid to be asked to come, but the parents should really see if there is someone else he could stay with. He can't help much if at all and they're just going to get pissed at him for being annoying while his sister is hurt. They're going to be basically ignoring him anyways to prioritize his sister.
Yeah, this. If he wanted to be there specifically as a support for his sister, that could be useful for her. As it is, his boredom seems like it's just going to stress her out more and probably lead to some lovely sibling arguments going down during what has to be the scariest time of her life so far. If there's no way someone else can care for him during this time, it's reasonable to take him as a last resort, but it's not actually, like... beneficial to his sister.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

It sounds like they both had a lot of personal stuff going on and Jess just noticed OP a lot more than OP noticed her and got into a cycle of comparing herself negatively to OP. Like OP probably was a raging rear end in a top hat to Jess sometimes but it sounds like she was a raging rear end in a top hat to everyone?

I don't even know what she can do about it, like, idk if it would come off as blame dodging for OP to go 'I was never involved with that guy, and I'm really sorry you were struggling with an ED, I was struggling with one myself.' Like the thing is memory is a lot more subjective than people think and it's very possible OP made some heinous comments about Jess that hit right in her weak spot she genuinely doesn't remember making.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

reignonyourparade posted:

From the comments the whole thing about "no it needs to be a specific apology about these things, and also I want you to text it" it really sounds like she doesn't want an apology, she wants an admission of guilt
Yeah. What I'm trying to say is like... when you're going through a poo poo time it can be easy to fixate on specific people as the cause of that poo poo time. Sometimes it's true, like if you're being specifically abused or someone is in charge of large institutional failures that are contributing to the poo poo time, but sometimes your own mental poo poo time is making everything negative stick out more. I dunno what exact order this happened in, but it sounds like Jess had a poo poo boyfriend or poo poo crush and when that guy claimed to have slept with OP it made Jess see her as The Rival, and possibly Jess compared herself to OP a lot and that contributed to the form her eating disorder took, even if OP was just being a general bitch and not actually attacking Jess' body.

But there's nothing OP can really say to that other than clarifying that she wasn't involved with that guy, because... facts won't really work against that narrative, because it sounds like Jess developed mental illnesses (ED) but then identified OP as the cause of them. She's not a regular person to Jess, she's The Rival. And you can't trust anything The Rival says! She's just doing this to ruin the protagonist, Jess!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Shoulda gotten paid up front, but NTA for doing a trim.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Chloe Jessica posted:

AITA telling my ex's daughter the truth about why I can't see her anymore
OP isn't the one punishing Layla for something that's out of her control.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pookah posted:

I'm guessing he didn't have this weird 'picky eating' thing when he was living with them, he only became 'difficult' when he got married or just moved away and this is them asserting that They are the ones who decide whether his gut issues are real.
And they have decided that they are not real.
I had a friend with celiac disease and when he got diagnosed when he was like, 17, after years of his parents deciding he had no problems at all and all his mental side effects were just laziness, they deliberately started making sure all the food he had access to had gluten in it and forbid him from buying his own food, to the point of melting down if someone managed to sneak the poor guy something gluten free.

Yeah they haven't seen him since his 18th birthday, funny how that works.

EDIT: 'It's normal to feel tired all the time! If you can't focus on your homework you're just lazy! I can't believe you're pooping so much just to spite us!!'

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 15, 2021

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

ScienceSeagull posted:

That reminds me, what was that story where OP received a live octopus from their boyfriend?
I remember that the octopus was 100% going to die if OP didn't immediately get it in a temporary tank with the right conditions and then beg someone else to take it because marine animals shockingly need highly specific conditions.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Dazerbeams posted:

This is secretly a blessing in disguise because the girl needs to get as far away from her father as possible. Both really, but somehow I don't think the one sharing a bed with Daddy is going to come to that realization anytime soon.
At best he's trying to make up for a childhood lost to abuse but uuuuh therapy is necessary there, not just showering with affection.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

It sounds like it was a good idea to send her kids to live with their father because she couldn't care for them. She couldn't! And repressing her grief was loving her up and I doubt she was actually even hiding it as well as she tried to! Parents are people too and sometimes intense grief can render a person unable to provide support for others for a time. Everything after that point sounds like a lot of compounding bad decisions that are now enshrined in her mind as Tradition, and I wonder what the gently caress sort of grief counselor she has that she hasn't been guided away from this self-destructive rut.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

well yeah, :agreed:

not saying that the mom isn't psycho, just that under normal circumstances this would be a pretty common and harmless ask. by shoehorning her dead daughter into every life event for her living children she basically managed to cost herself the one time that it's socially acceptable and commonplace to set aside space during a celebration to commemorate lost family members
Yeah like I think it'd be a very different story if she was making Brooke's birthday and death anniversary Days To Remember Brooke for herself (and her other children if they wanted). That's a reasonable ask after such a big loss, and it's an appropriate time to memorialize Brooke. Nobody is asking her to forget about her dead child or to just magically get over it, but her lack of boundaries over it is something else entirely.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeh it's quite interesting to see bc if you know anything about trans folks, it's that we're big on respecting people's names and not just telling people to get stuffed and get used to another one. like, it's pretty important to trans folks to respect people's names. i'm not saying it could never happen (plenty of people misunderstand the heart of things, trans folks are as human as anyone else and can absolutely be assholes about poo poo), but uhhhhhhhhhhhh it definitely raises flags for me as fearmongering
I could see it happening with a literally 13 year old child which is why I don't find this particular post so bad, I just don't know any 13 year old girls who would have been so enchanted with their older sister's name that she wouldn't accept even a variation of the name but wanted that exact one. Allie, Nora, Nellie, Lenore...

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for not giving up my inheritance for my brother

"okay, how 'bout we sell your half brother to you"
Get it in writing and then use that to destroy them later.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GI_Clutch posted:

Unless I am not comprehending this, I don't get what the dude's problem was. Her father is dead. Either:
  • He thought the SIL should give the FIL's ghost an opportunity to appear to be asked to walk her down the aisle
  • He thought the FIL's ghost would place a curse on him for taking his place
  • "If your dad can't walk you down the aisle, no one will!" *twists moustache* (sorry, no ghosts)
Parental imposter syndrome where he knew and loved his MIL and FIL and feels like he falls short as a person bc he can't see himself from the outside. Glad they got it resolved.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Armitag3 posted:

Ime when cats show tou their belly they're trusting you. It's a form of affection. Do not abuse that trust.
This is true but my cat also enjoys bellyrubs. As in he goes blissful and limp when he gets them after exposing his belly, and if he doesn't want one, he'll let me know by play-biting my wrist.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

PinheadSlim posted:

Same. One day their kind will die and hopefully future generations will point and laugh at them for their hosed up ideas the same way we laugh at puritans of the past for freaking out about seeing a womans ankle or whatever.
Yeah but there are still people around today who think the puritans had the right idea, aren't there?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Obviously his crime is going to have lasting social consequences beyond the legal debt he's paid but is this really the thread to discuss kids getting raped out of nowhere, some of us have lived through some bad poo poo and don't need the reminders.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Dr. Stab posted:

I totally support having more opportunities in life and less stigma for ex cons than we do presently, but he's a loving child rapist. That should follow you around. You don't become a kiddy diddler by circumstance.
Even in the hypothetical case of, say, someone innocent having been convicted, there's still ways that should follow you around until your name is cleared, like... not being left with children, and people not being enthused about you grappling and restraining people even if that's not involved in the crime you were convicted of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

It's also pretty possible that the reason everyone except OP is so sure is because... their relationship was exclusive while it lasted and he's the only possible father. There's definitely value in getting a DNA test if that's not the case, but OP seems a lot more paranoid about this than his son is for some reason.

It's also pretty blink and you'll miss it but OP's son has had a relationship with OP's grandson for years at this point, the kid has visited every summer for years before moving in, and OP just adamantly refuses to bond with him or refer to him by anything but 'the boy'.