Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Do people chant DICAP in the replies of these Reddit threads or is that bannable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yes, this dynasty of threads is where the expression originated. Feel free to say it here if it brings you joy.
Oh, I worded my post badly. I meant r/relationships itself!

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

limp_cheese posted:

As a side note a huge :lol: at moving in after a month of dating.
Hey, sometimes it works! My parents moved in together after something like six weeks and got married four or five months later. They're still together 45 years later! When you know, you know.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

r/relationships: really boiled my noodles

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

pentyne posted:

Electrical kettles are also good for anyone who's so brain fogged that they constantly forget they turn the stove on and leave the room.

Or really anyone who's even done it once. The choice is between "maybe burn the house down" and "forgot and the water starts slowly cooling back down".

Electric kettles can get as cheap as $5 so there's really no excuse.

A couple of years ago, my half-asleep fiancé put the electric kettle on the stovetop, then went to the bathroom. The fire only destroyed the kettle, thankfully. I still find little sooty pieces of burnt plastic in nooks and crannies.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Eh, we'd just moved the kettle to the other side of the kitchen like 2 days before. Accidents happen!

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Yup; this is the one that replaced the burned kettle. I LOVE it!

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Is the thread being weird and not showing posts for anyone else :psyduck:
Yup, I can only see 1 out of every 3 pages and it blows.

EDIT: it was a bug for the Awful app. Updating fixed it!

Metaline fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 2, 2022

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I had a roommate like this. He would talk to me through the bathroom door when I was taking a poo poo. Telling him to let me live didn't work, and every day was so loving painful and awkward, so I moved. That's all you can do with people like that!

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

My hometown has the prom attendees show up in the weirdest or fanciest vehicle possible, walk a red carpet, and (before he died) had a town cryer proclaim your names. Over a thousand people would show up just to watch, and this was a small town. I can't imagine what the addition of promposals have added to that mayhem.

My year the cool kid group all climbed out of a milk tank. The year before my friend and his date showed up in pyjamas in a bed on wheels. I just went in my best friend's dad's muscle car (super boring).

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He and other commenters have such obvious glee at "whoo, I get to shoot people on sight." Including somebody that said red fenceposts explicitly meant "shoot on sight".

How do these people get their mail, a P.O. box in town? Are mail carriers allowed to trespass?

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Serephina posted:

I picked up on that too, people going on about colours of foods are almost invariably full of it.

I think it's safe to chuck it into the "If everyone here wasn't malfunctional, we wouldn't have these reddit posts" bucket.

The first boyfriend I lived with was basically allergic to the colour red, but beef was one of the few things he wasn't deathly allergic to.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

house of the dad posted:

Riding on the sidewalk sucks for the rider and endangers pedestrians. Sure, the majority of people would survive getting knocked over by a cyclist, but it definitely could kill an elderly person. There have been big pushes for dedicated bike lanes where I live in Chicago and it's the simplest and safest solution for everyone.
My partner was friends with a guy whose grandfather was killed by a cyclist on the sidewalk. When a news team went to the scene a few days later to interview the friend about it, the camera operator was hit by a cyclist.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I had glow sticks and stickers in the bowl along with candy and kids were excited for them.

My sister-in-law collects spooky kids books from thrift stores all year and let kids pick one out along with candy. Kids LOVE it.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

Dear Prudence, Help! My Parents Gave Me a Wacky, Offensive Name.

What is the naaaame? :psyduck:

It may as well be the example they used as it also contains a racial slur.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I'm assuming a first edition, which start at around $2500 for fine and a quick google shows up to 10k.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Barbra Streisand cloned her favourite dog, I think?

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I can't imagine "your baby will be evil" inspires much repeat business. I conclude that she's the real deal and saved the next generation from the worst person the world will ever know.

EDIT: holy gently caress, my reg date. How.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

ESH; Hawaiians have been BEGGING tourists not to visit.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

The water shortages started over 2 years ago, unfortunately.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My experience with butter keepers goes like this.
1. Place softened butter into bell.
2. Invert bell over water.
3. Room temperature is 80 degrees.
4. Lump of semi-solid butter drops into water.

My 1890s kitchen is badly insulated, so in winter the butter in my butter bell is only a couple of steps up from fridge spreadability but it's still spreadable! I haven't yet had it melt no matter how hot the kitchen gets in summer. And butter lasts 5-6 weeks in it.

I love my butter bell. Love live the butter bell! Butter bells for all!

I absolutely cannot wrap my head around how someone could put the bell in upside down and think, "Yes, this is correct".

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

I can't believe someone would just invite strangers over to share a meal at Thanksgiving. Is nothing sacred anymore?! :911:
It was just :canada: Thanksgiving on the 9th!

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

The last few times I house sat were overnighters to stay with the dogs and it feels way too weird to sleep in their beds. Always just crash on an air mattress or pull out couchbed in living room and let the dogs have the big bed to themselves for once. Dunno why it feels weirder than a hotel room bed that's definitely seen worse than your friends or family. The best part of house sitting are all the streaming networks you don't have at home.

An ex did dog and house-sitting work for a living and the overnight jobs paid better but she was paranoid about nanny cam poo poo too, only took ones from clients with dogs/people she liked and had dogsat for before.
drat, I used to catsit and was encouraged to sleep wherever, drink their booze, eat their perishables, have dates over or small parties to enjoy having a bigger space than the 1-bedroom I lived in. I got to live large in houses with awesome cats and got paid to do it! I offered to clean as well for an extra fee so changing the sheets and cleaning their bathrooms made for very happy clients.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Paper Tiger posted:

If I were bald and got a comb as a gift, I'd just say, "thank you, I'll never part with it"

:piss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Shithouse Dave posted:

I had a couple of baby teeth that never developed adult teeth behind them and so didn’t fall out on their own. I had to have them extracted when I was 12. I have a small jaw and my teeth were massively overcrowded anyway, so it helped make room for my braces to move them all straightish.

I'm 39 and still have a baby molar, since no adult tooth developed underneath it. It's never even gotten loose!