Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

AmiYumi posted:

D&D::CSPAM is SA::4chan is 4chan::/pol/ is /pol/::8chan

multijoe posted:

going to expend my (1) posting in this thread token to say: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
D&D moderation has done a great job of cultivating a forum full of pedants with no sense of humor. Just flat tires as far as the eye can see.

So I say, keep it up! Don't change a thing! I don't want these people posting in the parts of the forums I like.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The entire D&D mod staff, with the possible exception of the_steve should resign, as they've proven time and time again to be very bad at their jobs, and the replacements should be chosen from the non-USPOL userbase. Also, unforum/threadban everyone, we can reban the ones that were actually poo poo instead of merely annoying the mod's posting buddies.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 24, 2021

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

multijoe posted:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think that Main Paineframe pretty accurately sums up my thoughts, so I'll just quote them again here and spend the afternoon trying to disentangle myself from Fancy Pelosi's puppet strings.

Main Paineframe posted:

SA politics discussion is now just an extension of Twitter. Barely anyone considers "knowing what you're talking about" or "having evidence for your claims" to be important anymore. They just let the social media algorithms feed them tweets that make them feel either good or angry, and then the ones that make them feel the most emotions get cross-posted to SA so they can share those emotions. They don't care whether or not the tweets are true, from reliable sources, or even accurate descriptions of the thing the tweet links to. They just skim those 140 characters, let the rage well up inside them, and copy-paste the link to SA without even the slightest attempt to verify that it's actually true.

Nobody needs sources or evidence anymore, and there's been more and more cases of people posting well-sourced arguments linking to polling and contemporary coverage, only to be responded to by snarky insulting one-liners without even the slightest attempt to find evidence refuting those sources. And that's not even the worst of it. There's been increasing numbers of literal conspiracy theorists who openly oppose the very concept of evidence, decrying it as nothing more than a liberal scheme to make us think jet fuel can melt steel beams. A good chunk of political discussion across the political spectrum is increasingly post-fact, and that's seeped into SA as well since - again - it's increasingly just an extension of social media. People come here when Twitter loads them up with too many feels, or when they get so pissed off that they can't fit their rage into 140 characters anymore.

But that's enough about the whys and the hows. The important part is that the mods are not capable of forcing people to go back to posting evidence or checking their sources or doing any kind of due diligence at all. Dumping contextless tweets or posting nihilistic fanfiction is just too popular. The posters have changed and they're not going to change back, 2016 inflicted severe politics brain on too many people, so there's no choice but for D&D to change.

Well, that's completely separate from the people who not only think that most of the USNews posters are literally actual Nazis, but believe it enough to say that to Jeffrey with a straight face. Those people are just community poison and it's no wonder why most of them have been forumbanned already.

There is no singular D&D community. Or at the very least, there isn't any kind of community consensus. There's several separate US politics communities, all of which loathe each other and don't agree on anything, and then there's the posters who don't give a poo poo about US politics or anything outside their own regional threads and are just baffled by all the hate and bile flying around. There's a lot of will to see D&D changed, but there is no way there's ever going to be a clear community consensus on how D&D should be changed. Someone is going to have to decide which communities will be listened to, and which ones will be told to deal with it or leave.

You're right that a mod shouldn't be making that call. It should be higher than that, someone who's going to be around for a while and overall responsible for things. Ideally, it would be the owner of the site. Like Jeffrey or hate him, he gets to make these kinds of calls and absolutely no one can overrule him or oust him.

My thanks to the mods who are trying to make the discourse better, y'all are generally doing a pretty good job.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

How are u posted:

I think that Main Paineframe pretty accurately sums up my thoughts, so I'll just quote them

That’s kind of a boring quote. MPF had a way funnier one

Main Paineframe posted:

There is no point being a moderator on this website until Jeffrey stops entertaining the whims of the small cohort of freaks and losers that a substantial percentage of the mods on this site are apparently literally terrified of, because giving someone a six-hour probation gets you cyberstalked by a bunch of hooting clowns who apparently have either telepathic mind control powers over the site owner or lots of blackmail material on Jeffrey. tired of watching the staff struggle for literal weeks to find one of the few actually nice people left on this website who're dumb enough to be a mod, then hurling them to the loving wolves until they leave the website forever because they're utterly miserable here. i can no longer be a party to this horrendous loving social experiment of finding people too nice and screwed up to stand up for themselves, telling them they're no longer allowed to be mad when people are utter jackasses to them, and then hurling them into a bunch of loving ridiculous abuse to see how long they stick around and obey the commands to just sit back and take it. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

multijoe posted:

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

D&D moderation has done a great job of cultivating a forum full of pedants with no sense of humor. Just flat tires as far as the eye can see.

So I say, keep it up! Don't change a thing! I don't want these people posting in the parts of the forums I like.

Agree with this. Don't change anything. If you don't like posting in D&D, don't post here. It's become a perfect honey pot for the absolute dregs of the forums and since they're happy to stay here, reporting each other's posts all day long, I say let them.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

1. Create a new forum or subforum for the USPol crew with their own explicit rules and mods to make it easier for new posters to participate in their forum while following all their rules.

2. Assign or recruit new mods to D&D proper.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fancy Pelosi posted:

As some have suspected, this is a re-reg troll account. This month, I've been posting in bad faith, I've posted lies, I've misrepresented sources (that were directly linked in my posts), I've sniped at other posters directly, I've said vile poo poo. Never caught a probe until I stepped out of D&D and posted the same way. It turns out that all of this stuff is 100% allowed in D&D as long as you post it all with a positive spin for the Democrats. Yesterday, multiple people got probated for pointing out that I was trolling. The problem with D&D moderation is that the mods are gigantic morons (they might be the stupidest posters on this forum) who are super easy to manipulate into punishing posting enemies, which is what the regulars do here to win arguments. This little experiment has made me wonder who else is doing long-form trolling in this subforum, because it's so easy. I suspect how are u.

Here's my advice for anyone who wants to post negative stories about Democrats in this subforum: Post it accompanied with a Trump-like insinuation that it's fake news or clickbait, works every time.

What if I don't believe you? I think this is your first time posting here, ever :twisted:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Kavros posted:

lots of words

This, while long as gently caress, was a Really Good Post, and while I don't 100% agree with everything said and quoted, it's generally on-track, IMO. The lazy part of me wants to just say "this" and go back to playing games or whatever, but I'll pick out some highlights and :words: a bit myself and quote a few more things I agree with.

Kavros posted:

1. The metadebate about D&D and what to do with it is never going to have a crowdpleaser answer, and you will have incredibly livid detractors even if you are making the best available choices at the time, and

2. Pursuant to (1), your goal is ultimately to displease and drive away the correct people, and their adamant displeasure will be incidental evidence that what you are doing is working.

This is true. If you folks (whoever that ends up being) want to really change things, then you're going to piss people off. That's fine. gently caress it. It's an internet forum, not some sort of humanitarian organization where people will starve to death if poo poo goes off the rails. Make a call. Make some changes (or don't, I guess), but change is hard and upsetting by its very nature, so, yeah, piss some people off, IMO.

Kavros posted:

I am leery about calls to improve the forum through incentivizing or mandating "effortposting" or to curtail "drive by" posting because I don't think that necessarily makes a forum about politics better. Relief valve posting can be positive and constrained, and sometimes you just want to shoot the poo poo or just slam down some onion byline observation about current issues. I'm pedantic enough on my own, I don't think the forum needs to emulate me further in that regard.

I agree with this and similar statements about trying to rules-lawyer things. The one overriding rule should just be "don't be an rear end in a top hat", with a possible side of "be specific". People who are 90% in agreement with each other regularly go from zero to absolutely incensed in no time at all, and there are statements in this very thread about how stupid ALL the mods are, and how terrible X forum is (really? all of it? every single post?) and so on. Jesus Christ, go outside. If someone's being an aggressive/toxic/angry rear end in a top hat, then they need to stop posting for a while rather than being met in kind. This is completely aside from who's actually correct, in any objective way.

Things, especially political things, SUCK right now. I've been on-and-off low-level pissed off ever since Trump got the nod, and my faith in humanity went right into the shitter when he was almost reelected after four years of batshit insanity. I used to be fairly positive and optimistic, and I loving hate how stupid everything is. But I try to not be a lovely rear end in a top hat to strangers I don't know on an internet forum. And I'm not talking about just rageposts and obvious hatred. There's just general low-level shittiness and sarcasm and the ongoing bad-faith venting happening all the time that makes it so much harder for folks to have decent interactions (e.g. "imagine thinking [something that wasn't really said]" and "what's it like to [be the utter rear end in a top hat caricature I'm trying to distort your post into]"). People are angry and hopeless and that's a hard thing to distill into mutual respect and the benefit of the doubt in a discussion thread.

The mods, in general, are doing okay IMO. I have issues with some and wish they'd do better/differently, but I think they have an incredibly lovely job and the important part is that I don't think they have the right structure in place to make things work.

One gigantic problem is this:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I feel like many, if not most of the mods have an aversion to using probes higher than a 6er for most shitposts, and I think that's a mistake. To illustrate this, from literally earlier today, I made a post that I knew was going to get a 6 hour probe in USPOL. And it did! But my thought process was, "Well, it'll get a probe, but only for six hours while I'm at work, so gently caress it, cost of doing business." I imagine that many other posters who get hit with 6 hour probes go through that very same thought process—which is a problem! It may slightly reduce the overall number of bad posts/lovely behavior, but so long as it doesn't actually deter people from making bad posts, it doesn't address the core issue of... people making bad posts. If moderation is supposed to be a deterrent, then the punishments need to be significant enough to actually deter people from making bad posts in the first place.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I would like to see D&D modding dispense with ineffectual things like human word filters and posters getting several years of useless sixers before they are *gasp* threadbanned into harassing yet more threads. Until then, being appointed mod of D&D is more a punishment than anything.

I'm almost suspicious of anyone who would want to mod D&D because the only conceivable use of the six-hour probe at this point is to settle arguments. This is the forum of people spending $10 to own each others' accounts, ignore threadbans, re-regging, and so on. No one pauses at a sixer or even a day off.

Seriously. How many loving sixers does someone need to behave differently? There should be regular acceleration of consequences and someone should be booted the gently caress off the forums if they continue. Spitballing: If someone gets a second sixer in the space of 24 hours, then guess what? It's actually 24 hours automatically. If someone gets a sixer within 24 hours after their day off, then it's a week. If someone gets two weeks off inside a month ( so potentially a total of as few as 6 violations), gently caress it, ban them. They obviously aren't getting the message (so don't have self-awareness and/or preservation) or they're just an rear end in a top hat as a matter of course or they just don't give a poo poo. If someone gets banned X times, then make it a perma. There's a whole lot of tolerance for the same people threadshitting over and over in D&D and it's baffling to me. If you're getting sixers every day then either (a) You're the problem, or (b) You don't belong in this thread/sub/forum/site. Find another place to rage, or doompost, or talk about how Democrats or Republicans are all worthless evil human beings who need to be shot into the sun. There's a whole internet out there. I had someone get pissed off at me recently in an argument about semantics of all things, dig through my post history to find details about a medical condition I have, and send me a "Hope you die soon! :D " message. There's a lot of people here just using these forums to vomit anger over and over.

And yes, this is actually a great quote.

Main Paineframe posted:

There is no point being a moderator on this website until Jeffrey stops entertaining the whims of the small cohort of freaks and losers that a substantial percentage of the mods on this site are apparently literally terrified of, because giving someone a six-hour probation gets you cyberstalked by a bunch of hooting clowns who apparently have either telepathic mind control powers over the site owner or lots of blackmail material on Jeffrey. tired of watching the staff struggle for literal weeks to find one of the few actually nice people left on this website who're dumb enough to be a mod, then hurling them to the loving wolves until they leave the website forever because they're utterly miserable here. i can no longer be a party to this horrendous loving social experiment of finding people too nice and screwed up to stand up for themselves, telling them they're no longer allowed to be mad when people are utter jackasses to them, and then hurling them into a bunch of loving ridiculous abuse to see how long they stick around and obey the commands to just sit back and take it. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Also, this rings really true--this is super important, if you're going to actually start making changes and enforcing poo poo:

Discendo Vox posted:

It's going to be really important to go over the rapsheets of everyone in this thread before you trust people about mod nominations, or their descriptions of what's gone wrong. I'm being literal here. Read people's rapsheets and ask yourself if what they're saying now, the face they're trying to present, matches what they've gotten probated or banned for in the past. Users with a bunch of probations for trolling D&D, or various racisms, or straight up thread or forumbans, should not just be taken at face value. Otherwise, you're giving the users with the biggest propensity for abuse the largest amount of leverage.

...and that doesn't mean *just* look at the rapsheets. Look at the posts because sometimes, yes, moderation can be bad. This applies not only to mod nominations and D&D feedback, but every time someone gets so much as a sixer, someone should be looking at their rap sheet and at least their last few posts and deciding if that sixer is going to accomplish anything at all. That's a fuckload of work, but it's a fuckload of work because it's playing catch-up for a process that's been broken for a long time.

While we're at it, this is a pretty decent example of the sort of casual threadshitting that's rampant right now (although it's not a particularly unusual or egregious one):

PostNouveau posted:

So here we have a poster who's taking the time to post in a thread explicitly asking for constructive feedback on how to improve a forum.
Either they're saying:

- I don't like this part of the forum.
- People who post here suck.
- I do, however, like making GBS threads on them.

Or, possibly, they're being entirely sarcastic and actually DO wish the forum was better (and would potentially post here if it were?), but they can't actually communicate that in a clear manner for whatever reason.
They are instead taking the opportunity to drop a scornful, humorless turd and leave. Are they angry and upset about politics and life or are they just an rear end in a top hat, or somewhere in between? Who knows. Doesn't matter.
It doesn't contribute anything to this thread and it wouldn't contribute anything to any other thread, but people post this sort of passive aggressive "aren't I clever" poo poo in D&D every day, and mods, maybe, give them their 2000th sixer.

CommieGIR posted:

Hey All, so Fancy Pelosi has dropped in the Mod Feedback forum to let us know that they were a troll all along, but frankly, we're inclined to let them stay. So vote in the poll!

What poll? I can't find a poll anywhere. [Edit: Found the poll--thanks!]
If someone admits to being a troll, ban them. gently caress that behavior.
I don't care what their point was or what they were trying to prove or if their posts are actually not so bad--they're making GBS threads in the pool.

For that matter, don't allow alts. If you want to post on these forums, make a goddamn account; if you don't then gently caress off. Play your Mysterious Stranger games somewhere else.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 24, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

aas Bandit posted:

What poll? I can't find a poll anywhere.

The poll is in US news. E: I realize the post you are quoting is from usnews, so I dunno why you are not seeing the poll. Settings or mobile jank?

Anyway, I will be lazy and just say I agree with aas Bandit's post.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

multijoe posted:

Nucleic Acids posted:

Please keep going, this is very revealing.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HashtagGirlboss posted:

That’s kind of a boring quote. MPF had a way funnier one

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

multijoe posted:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fancy Pelosi posted:

As some have suspected, this is a re-reg troll account. This month, I've been posting in bad faith, I've posted lies, I've misrepresented sources (that were directly linked in my posts), I've sniped at other posters directly, I've said vile poo poo. Never caught a probe until I stepped out of D&D and posted the same way. It turns out that all of this stuff is 100% allowed in D&D as long as you post it all with a positive spin for the Democrats. Yesterday, multiple people got probated for pointing out that I was trolling. The problem with D&D moderation is that the mods are gigantic morons (they might be the stupidest posters on this forum) who are super easy to manipulate into punishing posting enemies, which is what the regulars do here to win arguments. This little experiment has made me wonder who else is doing long-form trolling in this subforum, because it's so easy. I suspect how are u.

Here's my advice for anyone who wants to post negative stories about Democrats in this subforum: Post it accompanied with a Trump-like insinuation that it's fake news or clickbait, works every time.

CommieGIR posted:

Congrats? You posted mediocre middle of the road stuff that wasn't offensive and when people refused to actually do the namesake of the forum like Debate and Discuss, they got punished. I wasn't aware trolling in the form of devil's advocate was punishable, but I guess that should be a rule? The rule for trolls is to disengage and report, which very few people did. The reports we did get about you being a troll, most of your posts look like normal discussion. If your goal was to say we need to punish that, even with a rule change we'd likely not do that.

In fact, your experiment was so successful that we actually assumed you were a re-reg troll from the start. We asked for an alt-check on October the 2nd and while it did align your account with a fairly innocent poster, there's no rules against having an alt if you are not evading a permaban. So, I guess good job on trolling within the rules. Hey if you want to keep doing that, go for it. I'm sure Jeff appreciates the extra tenbux.

Yeah, basically this. Which of these posts is truly offensive?

hello, I would like to comment that this thread loving rules

:rolleyes:
Apr 2, 2002

Maine Paineframe posted:

My feedback is that this is a totally accurate quote and also that

:rolleyes: posted:

I'm gonna use my final post in this thread and maybe D&D to agree with this completely and say that the current mod and admin team either did this intentionally or may as well have. The Oakland Martini callout during the last thread should have been a turning point. It wasn't, because Athanatos made a rule, then went off and did nothing about it like the rest of the modmins for another year or so. It took a few weeks before the same posters openly went back to holding the same opinions in public and kept driving off the rest of the posters who knew anything. Meanwhile, there's an *actual* genocide denial thread in CSPAM (or was, idk, unlike most people ITT I don't hate read forums I don't pay attention to anymore) and all the same sane, rational posters from there are in here suggesting their friends as mods to counter the raging, frothy liberals.

What these forums used to be once upon a time makes me sad that it's come to this. Peace out.

May Brown Moses never have to expose the geolocation of anyone on this cursed website.

I hope that Brown Moses never has to expose the geolocation of more than two or three additional people besides the guy already arrested for toe shooting with incredible trigger discipline and aim on this cursed website

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Stringent posted:

as a show of solidarity with cpt_obvious i'm going to eat the probe for a forum banned poster posting out of turn. here's my post from qcs describing the grossly iniquitous moderation that constantly goes on in dnd.

ok i dug up a few examples for you to look at.

the first is a post that wasn't probated, but I PMd a mod about it and they said it was seen and thoroughly discussed. i bring this up just to establish a baseline of what's known to be acceptable dialogue by the dnd mods.

so, let's have a look at what isn't acceptable.

here's a week for making a (good) joke.

threadban

threadban

this was only a sixer, but the exchange is quite illustrative of the double standard they've got going in there

two weeks

forum ban

this is an *extremely* truncated list, it doesn't even start on the poo poo that goes on outside of uspol, but any more would be even more tedious for me to post and you to read. but i assure you that this is very much the norm for that forum and the mods' personal ideological biases are by far the governing moderation principle in dnd and have been for quite a while.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

another example of using arbitrary forum rules to discard opinions you don't like. embrassing.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Stringent posted:

as a show of solidarity with cpt_obvious i'm going to eat the probe for a forum banned poster posting out of turn.

Same.

I ask only that the probe reason not be boring. There's been some tremendous content created this weekend, pyf in my rapsheet mods.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Stringent posted:

as a show of solidarity with cpt_obvious i'm going to eat the probe for a forum banned poster posting out of turn. here's my post from qcs describing the grossly iniquitous moderation that constantly goes on in dnd.

ok i dug up a few examples for you to look at.

the first is a post that wasn't probated, but I PMd a mod about it and they said it was seen and thoroughly discussed. i bring this up just to establish a baseline of what's known to be acceptable dialogue by the dnd mods.

so, let's have a look at what isn't acceptable.

here's a week for making a (good) joke.

threadban

threadban

this was only a sixer, but the exchange is quite illustrative of the double standard they've got going in there

two weeks

forum ban

this is an *extremely* truncated list, it doesn't even start on the poo poo that goes on outside of uspol, but any more would be even more tedious for me to post and you to read. but i assure you that this is very much the norm for that forum and the mods' personal ideological biases are by far the governing moderation principle in dnd and have been for quite a while.

My one feedback post is that I wish the mods would actually address this sort of effort post, regardless of what crimes the poster may have committed.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kavros' post was pretty spot on and honestly could have been enough to close the thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982820&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post518708299

I think the forum needs to get stricter with ramps and stop giving third, tenth, 20th chances before threadbanning. I don't see how it isn't obvious that some posters are going to continue to be abusive assholes more often than not. That's never going to help along any sort of discussion. Just fermenting more toxic assholes. This goes for any previously forumbanned poster coming in here: you got more than enough chances before you were banned. Own up to it and stop pretending you're a victim. It took an incredible amount of time for your rear end to get the boot.

Stringent's post demonstrates the above: bitches about multiple examples of people being threadbanned, but pretends like it just happened out of nowhere, and not after repeated and sustained shitposts.

I don't think mods should decide on probes out of a flame war just because of how they 'feel'. Especially when other mods/IKs insist that they played no part in it. If a bunch of people were being dipshits, probe them all. Not just one person.

Fancy Pelosi posted:

As some have suspected, this is a re-reg troll account. This month, I've been posting in bad faith, I've posted lies, I've misrepresented sources (that were directly linked in my posts)

All you did was prove that everyone ignored your posts except for those who took issue with your content, and they decided to ad hom rather than check your sources and argue against that. Do you really think this is of a big of a win as you think it is?

Since you were weird enough to re-reg to own the libs, did you also go the extra weird step of buying that red title of yours a few days back that you complained about?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 24, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Since you were weird enough to re-reg to own the libs, did you also go the extra weird step of buying that red title of yours a few days back that you complained about?

I would also like to know what happened to Fancy Pelosi's redtext. I believe the answer would be very revealing.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I would like to chime in briefly to say I am somewhat put off by mods that obviously go harder on posters who rarely post in threads, or are new to threads. I believe once in the USNews thread a certain mod stated "If you aren't a regular we're going to be harsher on you". This creates a toxic and elitist environment for anyone but "the usuals" and is an awful thing to do. If anything it should be the opposite, give people the benefit of the doubt instead of pouncing all over them, regardless of what your posting enemies are doing at the time.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The forum sucks, the mods suck, but most importantly the posters suck. It's nothing but tedious dipshits pretending to be experts on every subject cause they read a tweet one time, alternating with an eternal slapfight against psychotic leftist qanon. I have no idea how to improve the politics forums and I don't really care since simply not reading them seems to be working out great for me.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Fancy Pelosi posted:

L M A O

to anyone earnestly posting here: think and remember - when have these feedback threads ever been useful? it's a pressure valve, you get to air some grievances, they get to say "we see you, we hear you *kneeling in kente cloth*" and the tension abates for a couple of weeks/months

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i could spend a whole ton of words to detail what exactly is wrong with d&d but others have put it far better than i have so i'll just be punchy instead.

d&d is complete and utter dogshit right now. it will never get better unless the mods are removed. they are unfathomably bad.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Don't allow embedded tweets.

Ramp more frequently, implement threadbans and forumsbans as needed (and probably more often).

For thread/forum bans, maintain a formal list in the OP of the thread and the rules thread of the forums.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Kalit posted:

Ramp more frequently, implement threadbans and forumsbans as needed (and probably more often).

For thread/forum bans, maintain a formal list in the OP of the thread and the rules thread of the forums.

Lmao

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Kalit posted:

I agree with this approach. Also, a list should be maintained of people close to being threadbanned or forumbanned, so posters know if they are on thin ice or not.

I am sure everyone in D&D would gladly pitch in with their own lists to help start the effort. Alternatively it could be handled efficiently by just grabbing a list of anyone who has made at least one post in C-SPAM.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

multijoe posted:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I think that rape apologists in this forum should be treated far more harshly than just sixers or being horrific enough to get banned but then sending a pm to claim they were being sarcastic and didnt mean it like that! And getting unbanned.

Stop probing over stupid inoccuous poo poo like just posting a tweet that's fairly relevant to the discussion.

There's harsh probes over really boring basic discussion but late and light probes for monstrous poo poo. Basically I'm saying :do better.

Also the bad faith posting rule is utter garbage. It's incredibly subjective and stupid.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 25, 2021

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

CommieGIR posted:

Congrats? You posted mediocre middle of the road stuff that wasn't offensive and when people refused to actually do the namesake of the forum like Debate and Discuss, they got punished. I wasn't aware trolling in the form of devil's advocate was punishable, but I guess that should be a rule? The rule for trolls is to disengage and report, which very few people did. The reports we did get about you being a troll, most of your posts look like normal discussion. If your goal was to say we need to punish that, even with a rule change we'd likely not do that.

In fact, your experiment was so successful that we actually assumed you were a re-reg troll from the start. We asked for an alt-check on October the 2nd and while it did align your account with a fairly innocent poster, there's no rules against having an alt if you are not evading a permaban. So, I guess good job on trolling within the rules. Hey if you want to keep doing that, go for it. I'm sure Jeff appreciates the extra tenbux.

My feedback is that this post is a perfect example of the terrible ineffective mods on this forum. +1 lol for fancy pelosi.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Permaban Raenir Salazar, make not other changes.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

My feedback is that I don't think any of the mod team are intentionally cheering on their "side" and probating their enemies but the entire structure of D&D is designed to reward the most tedious assholes on the planet and punish anyone who gets frustrated with decorum-posting defenses of a monstrous status quo. I wrote something much longer but it was the exact sort of tedious nonsense that's loving exhausting and gently caress it. This is the subforum I read most and of those the one I post on least because *gently caress* the idea of engaging with someone who loves to write an essay saying gently caress-all, and getting probed for calling it self-important meaningless nonsense.

Also another +1 to Fancy Pelosi and how absolutely demonstrative CommieGIR's response was.

Lastly:

silicone thrills posted:

I think that rape apologists in this forum should be treated far more harshly than just sixers or being horrific enough to get banned but then sending a pm to claim they were being sarcastic and didnt mean it like that! And getting unbanned.

Stop probing over stupid inoccuous poo poo like just posting a tweet that's fairly relevant to the discussion.

There's harsh probes over really boring basic discussion but late and light probes for monstrous poo poo. Basically I'm saying :do better.

Also the bad faith posting rule is utter garbage. It's incredibly subjective and stupid.

Edit: I would be embarrassed to create a feedback thread no one is allowed to post more than once in. Just... fuckin' christ.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 25, 2021

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

D&D has an identity crisis driven by staff not knowing what the gently caress they want it to be, despite there being clearly outlined rules on what it should be. there are a handful of ways to remedy that, but for the most part my feedback(s) have not changed since the last feedback threads i participated in

from january:

Kith posted:

i apologize if any of this comes off as rude, i'm having a really hard time thinking clearly and i'm having extreme difficulty articulating myself politely

as someone who has experience in organizing communities and discussions, this seems like a bundle of half-measures that attempts to please everyone by working in everyone's suggestions instead of taking an angle of attack to tackle the symptoms of the problems. as i see it, the first big problem is that D&D is roughly 50% US Politics and 50% Everything Else, and encouraging even more threads to be made in D&D that are US-centric is asking for Everything Else to get drowned out even harder. the second big problem is that USPol is too many things at once: chat thread, news thread, tweet dump thread, Who's The Lefter Leftist Thunderdome, and occasional animal pictures thread. this list addresses the symptoms of the issue, but not the source, and will likely cause other issues down the line.

to that end, i would like to counter-propose the following:

• Create a USPol Subforum. Containment forums are not unknown on Something Awful, and they are extremely effective. Probably my favorite example is Other Blizzard Games - it's slow, but very well-organized, and it keeps Other Blizzard Game stuff out of the WoW forum and out of Games, making it extremely easy to find what you're looking for and/or contribute to the relevant discussion. (edit: rip OBG)
  • Sticky three threads in USPol: USNews, USChat, and a Megathread directory. USNews can be your slow-mode only tweet-dumping thread, USChat can be your US-flavored GBS chat thread, and the Megathread directory is... exactly what it sounds like.
  • Encourage users to make specific threads instead of living in the Chat thread forever. Futhermore, Mods and IKs can push users to splinter off into specific threads if necessary or take their discussions to more appropriate locations.
  • Move all US-centric D&D threads into the subforum, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

i feel like trying to keep USPol in D&D is a mistake. There's just too much to it, there are too many users using it, and it requires too much moderation as a single thread. diluting the USPol experience into smaller and more manageable chunks is the best way to reduce moderator burnout and to keep things from spinning out of control like they love to so much these days

from september, and especially relevant to the current situation WRT Fancy Pelosi:

Kith posted:

Speaking as someone who more or less lurks D&D since previous moderation practices (or lack thereof) have slowly but surely discouraged me from posting, I think this is probably the best example of what's wrong with D&D:

Athanatos posted:

:siren: There are no current thread or forumban restrictions in this thread. If you are one of those things in D&D, you may post in here to give your opinion. :siren:

In essence, people who do dumb or malicious poo poo are given endless second chances because the appropriate level of punishment is either never meted out or never enforced.

Quite frankly, I don't think D&D needs more moderators or IKs; what it needs is an admin who's capable of directing and supporting the existing moderation team, along with clear and concise guidelines on what is unacceptable behavior and the appropriate actions to take when encountering said behavior. There are enough cooks in the kitchen, now you need a chef - and ideally one who is not part of the existing D&D hierarchy, since D&D on the whole has a very "us vs them" mentality where disagreements frequently make lifelong Posting Enemies™. Honestly, even if it was just someone whose only job is to look over the ModQueue and approve reasonable-looking punishments would probably do wonders for moderator confidence: nothing sucks worse than queuing up a ramped probe for a consistent pattern of lovely behavior and then seeing the initial placeholder sixer expire before the real thing gets approved.

I know it's not the simple "nominate a moderator" answer you were looking for, but unfortunately the issue is too deep for simple answers.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, basically this. Which of these posts is truly offensive?

multijoe posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fancy Pelosi posted:

multijoe posted:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fancy Pelosi posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3965530&pagenumber=946&perpage=40#post518204166

Thank you for you're service

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Kalit posted:

This poster and all posters saying the same thing are literally the exact problem with D&D, just a heads up. Just an unslakeable thirst to punish those with wrongthink.

Also a big megalol that I could tell you exactly who would be asking for this before I even opened the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kalit posted:

Like, seriously, what does Twitter have to do with anything? How is Twitter making DnD worse?