Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Stringent posted:

as a show of solidarity with cpt_obvious i'm going to eat the probe for a forum banned poster posting out of turn. here's my post from qcs describing the grossly iniquitous moderation that constantly goes on in dnd.

ok i dug up a few examples for you to look at.

the first is a post that wasn't probated, but I PMd a mod about it and they said it was seen and thoroughly discussed. i bring this up just to establish a baseline of what's known to be acceptable dialogue by the dnd mods.

so, let's have a look at what isn't acceptable.

here's a week for making a (good) joke.

threadban

threadban

this was only a sixer, but the exchange is quite illustrative of the double standard they've got going in there

two weeks

forum ban

this is an *extremely* truncated list, it doesn't even start on the poo poo that goes on outside of uspol, but any more would be even more tedious for me to post and you to read. but i assure you that this is very much the norm for that forum and the mods' personal ideological biases are by far the governing moderation principle in dnd and have been for quite a while.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My one feedback post is that I wish the mods would actually address this sort of effort post, regardless of what crimes the poster may have committed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:siren: Rules change based on proposal from That Other Thread:

- One post per combat round is lifted.
- Do not attack other posters. Direct your poo poo to the mods.
- Do not quote other posters. Direct your poo poo to the mods.
- Do not get cute about the previous two.
- As always, do not be an rear end in a top hat.
- Forumbans still apply.
- Updating the OP is too much of a pain in the rear end on the phone, so I'll do it later.
- If this results in a total shitshow, we may alter the rules; "one post per 24 hours" seems plausible but we'll see.

Dear mods,

Why do forum bans need to apply if there are already rules about not being an rear end in a top hat and not attacking/quoting other posters? I was under the impression that the forum bans were given due to behavior those posters exhibited when interacting with other members of D&D, which wouldn't be the case in here unless they were breaking one of the aforementioned two other rules.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I did read your post in the other thread about this, and we may abolish that rule tomorrow.

Thanks, that thread moves very quickly so I didn't want to assume you found my post amongst all of the noise. I recognize that I don't have all of the pertinent information regarding such forum bans, but it seemed worth considering to me.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

StratGoatCom posted:

I do like the 'disable report button' idea - and if anyone uses URL fuckery to get past it, just give them a weeker for Forums Fuckery.

That's not really practical given the mobile apps that just post the report directly, you wouldn't even know the button were disabled.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Jazerus posted:

hi i don't have much to say about d&d that i haven't already said in the QCS thread but i want to dispute this

the blow zone was good, it worked, you felt you had to close it because you were uncomfortable with people being angry at each other and also you were uncomfortable with the fact that at least one poster on the d&d "side" took their mask off and went full "tara reade is a liar", something which had to be pointed out to you and which you punished with a 6er, the probation type that isn't really a punishment. people were uncomfortable with your non-punishment and posted angrily at you. all of these things came together to make you feel that the blow zone was sufficiently uncivilized so as to require never opening it up again.

none of that is a law of nature. you didn't "have to" close it, but you did, because you didn't want to let the de facto "succ zone embassy" actually operate by succ zone rules in order to let folks work out their grievances. if the blow zone was a permanent weekly institution i think you would see the same pattern every week: level-headed discussions and people reaching out across the battle lines, mixed in with people arguing and laying out their grievances. that's what any "outlet" thread designed for people to work their anxiety and shitposting out in is going to look like. it's what the last incarnation of the blow zone looked like - don't minimize the reasonable discussions that were taking place over the whole weekend just because they were interspersed with the more heated stuff.

anyway basically the blow zone worked, if you were to continue it it would continue to work and would both let people slapfight in an isolated manner, and occasionally reveal the "bad apples" in d&d when they get baited into writing screeds about tara reade or whatever issue of the day is contentious. you may not be the mod that should shepherd the blow zone in the future, however, because you do not like angry discussions nor do you recognize/appropriately respond to the severity of situations where posters take their mask off and say nasty poo poo

Yeah it certainly made USNews less of a problem while it was open, right? From my perspective it was a successful containment zone and could only be considered a failure if posting stopped there. I don't think it's helpful to care about the content of the posts much if it didn't dissuade posters from :justpost: inside.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

And your inability to expect mods to be fallible humans who make mistakes is interesting.

??? It's not about being infallible it's about correcting your mistakes, something which hasn't been done in the specific case in mention, which just so happens to reflect a pattern in D&D, hence it continuing to come up each time one of these threads is around. No one is trying to "own" you for making a mistake.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ram dass in hell posted:

It sure was! Hey FoS, any plans to actually read the multiple effortposts made in response to your questions about sexual assault from yesterday, or is it another case of demanding effort from rape survivors to educate you and then ignoring their work and/or punishing them for it?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

fool of sound posted:

I'm not going to unmask them in thread if they want to have an alt, but I also do know who they are and given that don't think that they should be hanging around the feedback thread on that alt.

If I say they're my alt will you engage with the content of their post instead of just "posting about posters"?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

fool of sound posted:

Going to break kayfabe for a moment to say that I'm not super interested in the trust or respect or opinions of posters that I think should be banned. If you have a problem with that complain to the admins.

Who do you think should be banned?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

fool of sound posted:

This is largely in regard to the people I've kicked out of this thread.

So you know who the alt is? Or you think all alts should be banned? Sorry, not understanding.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Sorry, I must've missed that. Still confused why you asked who they were if you already knew or could instantly find out like that, though.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Grooglon posted:

I've seen folks in this thread passionately argue both that D&D regulars need to learn how to deal with harsh tones AND D&D regulars need to stop posting with harsh tones. If we assume that the answer is not for D&D regs to always be nice while everyone else gets to always be mean, I'm not sure what the takeaway is here except that everyone has an opinion.

It would be helpful in moving this particular conversation forward if you just directly quoted the posts you're referring to, otherwise it feels like you're disingenuously setting up a straw man to "own" here.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

fool of sound posted:

Also only dnd and occasionally qcs tend to consistantly get enough reports to make the kludged system an issue. I think gbs had an issue with the cursed image thread throwing up a ton of "no image" reports but I think they've got people to cut thay out now.

lol what, wow, why do people report posts in QCS?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

fool of sound posted:

Lots of people are reporting posts in this thread even though every single D&D mod is reading it.

just incredible

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Jarmak posted:

None of these posts are equivalent examples. They are complete thoughts, provide commentary on what is being linked, and don't misrepresent the poster's opinion as the contents of what is linked.

And yet the "bad" post resulted in a bunch of genuine discussion, more than some of these examples even.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Looking through the D&D rules I found one that seemed out of place:

quote:

---Good discussion requires good information, something that is increasingly hard to come by in the age of 140 character non sequiturs and blogging grifters presenting as experts. Make an effort to vet your sources before you post them, and when you do make sure that you make clear the following: who is the source, what do they have to say, and why should they be considered valid.

I don't think I've literally ever seen the bolded part done, so maybe it doesn't need to be a rule? Or maybe it just needs enforcement? Enforcement of this rule seems like a clear solution to the naked Twitter link posting, though.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Thanks for these explanations. It doesn't entirely match my experience buying avatars, but is roughly close - I've bought probably 120ish this year. Some of them lasted days or weeks but some of them were blanked literally within minutes. One or two of the avatars I bought could probably be considered bad enough to warrant blanking, but a vast majority were just inoffensive forums drama and I saw blanking response virtually the same between the two.

I appreciate the mods here spelling out their policies, it makes it more likely that I'll continue buying avatars, but I'll certainly continue to keep track of how quickly I see them blanked because my gut feelings about what I remember this year don't exactly line up here. There were also a couple of posters who seemed to get theirs blanked abnormally quick, so I might just have chosen posters who were given special treatment from the stated policies for whatever reason.

And before someone inevitably says the money would be better spent elsewhere, I treat SA in general as an entertainment product. But I also give more than 10x as much to direct or mutual aid causes so my conscience is clean.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

How are u posted:

Every offensive or rude avatar I've ever been given, I feel, has said a lot more about the buyer than about me. They don't bother me at all, but I do think mods across the forum should feel free to exercise their judgment for avs that are egregiously gross or offensive.

I turned avs off in 2014 and never looked back.

Your current avatar is pretty cool, have you seen it?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Telsa Cola posted:

I have no idea if this works, or if it is possible but it is also possible that other posters basically do the reverse you and drop a bunch of cash to reverse the avs, since I believe there are several resources out there that can show past avatars.

Nah, that's what gives it away: they're not getting new avatars (well some do, but that's not what I was talking about) they're just completely blank like what mods/admins do. And I doubt anyone is spending 5-10 dollars on a blank avatar instead of changing it to something else like their old avatar (which costs the same).

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

I would never pay a penny to reverse one, either. I've had a new av in mind for a couple months, but with 500 good dogs buying me a new one every few weeks I haven't bothered to waste the money.

Sorry to disappoint but according to my email receipts I've only bought one for you. Or maybe that's a good thing because it means you've caught the attention of many an avatar purchaser!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Stuff like this will be just as punishable as someone trying to deny Tara Reade's claims. That's what the change will be.

:confused: ... why?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think anyone is calling for an "always believe accusers" rule, more of a rule against using rape culture bullshit arguments to dismiss accusers out of hand.

Pretty big difference between "I'm skeptical of this accusation of domestic abuse because the accuser claimed to have video evidence that they are now refusing to provide" and "I'm skeptical of this accusation of sexual assault because the accuser had a late rent check/the accuser might not have a bachelor's degree/Fox News is reporting on it/etc"

It's a pretty bright line imo

I don't think either of those viewpoints should be acceptable.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Gumball Gumption posted:

I guess here is the easiest way to put it. If someone said they believe less than 10000 people died in Tianamen Square and they think the number is smaller and isn't a jackass about it how does that get handled? Because that's the number you'll find if you Google it's the number you'll see in recent news articles, and is also highly disputed like everything else with the death toll. There's a lot of grey between "nothing happened" and "none of the official accounts are actually factual" and that grey area is usually what people are talking about and what gets those accusations of genocide denial so I think it's worth figuring out and codifying when that grey turns into black and white in D&D so that people don't accidently end up there and so these cries of genocide denial can stop being used as a way to win arguments.

I agree but I don't get the whole appeal in general of putting a label on anything regardless. That's what stirs up so much drama around here because no one agrees what a "genocide" should be defined as, or what "supporting a rapist" means, etc.. Like it'd be better to ban the word "genocide" and just talk about the actual claims in Xinjiang instead of arguing nomenclature.

Also, not too related but you'd be surprised how many people believe the tank man was run over by the tank and didn't just walk away...

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Yes when you travel to the magical world of make-believe you can just attribute anything you don't like to the CIA and then declare it false. That's so much more pleasant than actually engaging with the real suffering of real people.

Great example of a bad D&D post right here, folks. Is this sort of sarcastic response really conducive to a conversation about... anything?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

It was appropriate to respond and give him a chance to clarify just what the heck he was talking about. CGR gave him some rope to hang himself with, basically.

How does replying with actual sources in a media criticism thread get you probated? What could that poster have said or done in response in order to avoid punishment? Do you think that mods giving him "some rope to hang himself with, basically" is a healthy policy for the forums?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I agree with you that neither regular posters nor CommieGIR should have engaged with it. But the reason it should have been "bounced" isn't because it was "agreed" that it was pure idiocy, but because it went against the thread rules as laid out in its OP:

Are you saying, as implied by your bold section, that the poster wasn't being earnest? How did you evaluate that?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

The thread was not about the CIA, his comments were irrelevant to the thread topic with the intent to derail the conversation and was obviously trolling. It is behavior we do not want around here.

Thank you for answering one of my questions at least. I don't understand how your answer matches your post, though.

Deteriorata posted:

It was appropriate to respond and give him a chance to clarify just what the heck he was talking about.

He was given an opportunity to respond, and yet responding by citing sources that agree with his claims was determined to be the rule-breaking infraction that warranted punishment?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

A big flaming stink posted:

do you not see how this is a profoundly corrosive assumption?

Also clearly violates one of the D&D rules that clearly states "assume others are posting in good faith". The moderators should consider removing that from the rules list if it's not going to be enforced.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Well, that is already assumed. But at some point, the poster gives moderators sufficient reason to invalidate that assumption, and a probation is issued.

If you look at the conversation where the post I quoted is from, you'd see that the my problem was with random posters, i.e. Deteriorate in this case, not following the rule. It wasn't about moderators deciding that a post is bad and should be punished, it's about the fundamental attitude by posters to dismiss someone/something as a "troll" or whatever which is in clear dissonance with that rule.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Alchenar posted:

This is an example of trying to rules lawyer. You get a starting assumption that others are posting in good faith. I don't think anyone interprets that rule to mean that once someone has a long history of making claims and not being able to back them up, or getting proven wrong and just not acknowledging it, that that presumption still applies to them.

I don't know the history of every poster, and I doubt I'm alone here, so maybe if someone is going to "assume bad faith" there should be an evidentiary requirement so it's clearly based off of a pattern and not just "I don't like the content of their post so they're obviously a troll". Or if it is the latter, at least be clear about it.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

The problem with ignore lists is that no one sees the stupid things the trolls say and they never get reported, so the mods think everyone is fine with it.

If no one sees the troll, they won't successfully derail the conversation, which means no damage is done, so who cares?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

Considering how many people in this very thread were bragging because people ignored fancy pelosi I imagine quite a few

But why does it matter if people were bragging that a troll was ignored? How does that affect the overall health of D&D threads or your experience on the forums?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

Honestly I bet there are more people on the forums overall that would admit to being a Tankie vs a Liberal

We can solve all of this by requiring posters in D&D choose a gangtag first: tankie or liberal.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

eSports Chaebol posted:

Perhaps the relevant snippets should be posted in the rules thread; if the Media Analysis thread is to act as a de facto rules thread, it seems a bit onerous to expect everyone to read the whole thing.

I've read many pages of the thread, and consider it bad for several different reasons, most of which were enumerated multiple times in this thread and largely ignored, but the worst part is what you've pointed out: that it's a de facto rules thread with posters and mods pointing other posters to read one of the most ideologically homogenous threads on the forum.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

1337JiveTurkey posted:

If former C-SPAM superstar taintrunner is now a lib, that's about as much proof as you need that the labels are meaningless.

:confused: Libs are allowed to post in C-SPAM! Many do! Even self-identifying libs are allowed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mellow Seas posted:

Well hey, whatever the mods do I’m sure we’ll probably all be unhappy with it, and maybe it’ll help a little, or maybe it’ll make it a lot worse, and we’ll all still be miserable at the end. It’s a lot like the Democrats! :v:

Let’s remember that we all share the strange affliction of giving a poo poo about this place and the discussion here, and try to share some sense of camaraderie about that. This thread sure was a thread.

libs drool, tankies rule!