Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Methinks an estate agent is about to get sued out of existence for failing to do any money laundering checks whatsoever.

It'll be the land registry paying out a settlement over it and no-one else. The man has lost his house, theres no way they will revert it back to his ownership.

He might get a settlement off of the 'sellers' solicitors for the lost possessions because the buyers solicitors 100% would have said that they want the house cleared before purchase so they would have seen that and not flagged up an entire homes worth of contents were still in there.

Absolutely disgusting story and 100% been bought by yet another buy to let landlord for a knockdown price too. Cannot believe the police said this was a civil matter to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

keep punching joe posted:

I cannot see any way such a law would be enforceable.

It will be enforceable against those the state wishes it to be enforced upon. Such a vague law is the point of it.

Kuenssbergs 'This is him here' tweet. Absolutely fine.

Mandy, 21 from Staffordshires 'This you?' tweet. 5 years.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its because they charge more for those seats and absolutely nothing to do with 'weight distribution on the plane' or any such bollocks that they try and pull.

The extra leg room seats are usually about 10% more than the rest of the cattle class.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Total Meatlove posted:

Oh I’m no smart after 8. Think they limited it to 2 hours before your boarding time, but given I was on a Flybe flight my personal record was around 5 hours.

I once sat in departures at Southampton airport for 11 hours. Also thanks to Flybe. Our flight was originally meant to be at 11am, it left at 10pm.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I believe Glinner doesn't have anything left to lose.

Reliable reports that he got absolutely hosed by the divorce. Im pretty sure he doesnt own the rights to anything anymore.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paper Planes posted:

Hi UKMT

Sorry I'm a big lurker in this thread, but I did want to ask a question in case anyone is knowledgeable about employment law.

During the Christmas period, our company forces us to use our annual leave when the offices are shut down, however I do work in a department that provides support and advice. We have been asked to volunteer to watch our help desk for queries that come through during this time, however I think there is no time in lieu nor compensation offered, being as its in a period that the company has actively forced us to take leave, is this legal? (I have no intention of volunteering, keeping my leave sacred! But it would be useful to know!)

If you are 'working' on days in between Christmas you will not be using up your annual holiday allowance and if you are asked to work on a bank holiday you will receive that day back in lieu. If they are asking you to potentially keep an eye on an e-mail inbox and only 'work' if something comes in then it depends.

Are they asking you to be 'on call' and does your contract have a provision for what this is and what it means? Check your contract/employee handbook.

If they are asking you to volunteer as a just in case option then it gets into a very grey area. I for instance once ran the webstore for a fairly large clothing company and while we were 'closed' on Christmas day and boxing day I still kept an eye on the social media to make sure we didnt drop a bollock or get the page flooded with racism.

There was nothing more to it than checking an e-mail that came in and deciding if it was important enough to respond to (none were) and scanning the channels occasionally, and since I was sat on my phone for most of christmas was no real extra effort.

If you aren't going to volunteer then its really immaterial what the actual situation is as it doesn't matter to you. I would recommend you have an actual discussion to find out what the realities are as I can only offer the vaguest of advice without knowing for sure.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paper Planes posted:

Thanks all (a lot of quick responses!), and ultimately my personal solution is just to say I'm visiting relatives and uncontactable! I think it just griped me a bit because there are deffo quite a few people in my department who cannot say 'no' to anything and it did seem a bit of a grey area.

Tbf I pretty much only read this thread for the goons that need help with stuff.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Spangly A posted:

Depending on the extent of paper trail, you've potentially got a solid grievance in that lot. The details will matter on both forced leave (what days, do they reject all other requests, can you prove that they reject all other requests, will they try to argue it's an implied term) and "volunteering" work (who is being asked, how formal are these requests, how do they feel about "no", are you allocated timeslots or shifts, or are you asked to occasionally log into an email server), but at the bare minimum HMRC would have some questions that will almost certainly result in some quiet changes to these practices.

If you're answering things like "bank holidays, no other leave is allowed, doing your contracted duties on shifts, I can prove these things" then I'd suggest you start quietly asking your coworkers if there is anything else in the workplace they'd all like to see changed.

Having specific dates where a company is closed and that you are required to use your leave is fairly standard practice and would not constitute a grievance. Certain industries will shut down for 2 weeks in a slow period and require you to use your leave for this time.

Again without the actual specifics its very difficult to say what the request even was and I would never suggest agitating in the workplace over what could be a misunderstanding.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Even the Daily Mail is calling the tories the party of sleaze today.

Why did they do this? It makes no sense, even if there was a by election the tories would win it at a canter.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1456229095960948744?t=KRaqnSMNAZOjP0jU80OSnA&s=19

Patterson is done.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

Also safe seats are often safe seats because they don't get any campaigning resource from the other parties

In by-elections with reduced turnout and greater focus from the other parties they can get a lot wobblier.

How much of this was him coming out swinging last night calling the report a fabrication and for the committee to resign. What a loving idiot.

I think they genuinely thought they'd get away with it. The reaction of normally friendly papers and journos has stuck a rocket up them

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Almost 24 hours after the first one, I've just got an email from Labour to my party membership address, so yeah it looks like it's much bigger than affiliates. Twitter complaints seem to suggest the emails are being sent in date order which would make sense as I was an affiliate for like 10 years before joining.

The tie breaker is whether or not my burner address gets one too. If not it suggests the partner that got popped was either one of the campaigns or possibly ERS themselves who run the elections, if it does then Labour have their entire contact database to a third party for some reason.

Anything other than it being ERS means the party are likely to be turbo hosed, but not to the millions of pounds fine level that done are suggesting.

Oh gently caress... what if it was Corbyn's leadership campaign?

The email I used to sign up as a member got tagged this morning. I didn't use that for anything but official labour emails so I think they had their entire database with a third party.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1456319220820684815

So the police have arrested the person that stole the vicars identity and stole his house, but notably their first response was that this wasn't a serious issue and to contact action fraud.

Only when the national press got interested did it get escalated to the serious fraud office.

Guy still very unlikely to get his house back.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Didn't take them long to find him once they made the slightest effort.

Really strange that isnt it, almost like it would be trivially easy to find the recipient of £130,000 via bank transfers.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I imagine he will get the house back. If the fraudster is convicted then the contract should be voided on the basis that performance only arose from an illegal act.

Thats a good point actually. His stuff is gone for good though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Total Meatlove posted:

From very fuzzy memories, I think the transfer by the land registry of the title is actually lawful, and he’ll be compensated but won’t get his house back

I cant find anything concrete about this which is why I'm open to the idea that the contract is null and void, however it does appear that once the land registry is final tough poo poo. Depends on if the current owners give it up based on the sale being fraud?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I was today years old when I learnt that you have to activate a special program on the touchscreen to put a Tesla in Neutral so it can be pushed, and if you don't know where that special button is or you've completely run out of power you look like a loving idiot to an entire car park.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west...dWeEKAGsB4IcGbU

quote:

Shoppers at Westfield were left fuming after a Tesla ran out of battery on the car park entry ramp blocking other cars in for three hours.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I know we poo poo all over HIGNFY in here but for a lot of people that don't otherwise consume political news it can be their only touch point to anything outside of the 6/10pm News cycles. This really is something thats made people sit up and go 'Wait you're doing what?'

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gove and Raab are 100% angling for the top job today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1458147769869242369

Lmao.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Really weird that its finally this thats started to slash Boris. I guess Murdoch has finally got enough ammo to get Gove in charge?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The tory who worked in the Bahamas has been referred to the standards committee for using his mp office to represent a foreign country against the UK government in court.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tarnop posted:

No visible poppy so presumably it's at least several weeks old

Its under his left hand. You can see the stem.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

Whenever I think of Lowtax I will remember that he *told* everyone he got banned from Twitter for arguing with some Fash called Baked Alaska

When the reality was he got banned for sending pictures of dog dicks to many many random women who disagreed with him

Including a trans friend of mine completely unconnected with the site and who had no idea who he was, which is why there was a posting gap with me,

I don't think i've ever heard of that before but that would 100% scan with his weirdoness.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

EvilHawk posted:

She's 95. Sometimes I sneeze funny and can't move for a day. At her age it could literally kill her.

She was never going to attend but they've been saying for weeks she would still go to it.

Judging by the reaction of the rest of the Royals i'm not sure what the hell is going on.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Christoper Chope has just objected to his own governments motion to condemn Paterson.

Literal car crash stuff.

https://twitter.com/georgegrylls/status/1460371544006447106

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The tories are openly coming for Johnson by putting his sex pest dads antics on record.

And I think Johnson is swinging back with his stuff about banning paid consultancies as he knows it will play extremely well while massively disadvantaging his obvious successors.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its full knives out now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Worth a read if you want to revel in the upcoming self-destruction of The Thing In No 10

John Crace piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/17/empty-benches-at-pmqs-amid-fury-at-johnsons-inability-to-do-one-job

The Empty rows at PMQ's was very telling. Its normally a huge no no not to show up in force for your leader.

I know its all theatre, but thats part of it. The roasting in the committees and stories are just going to go on and on until hes done.

A poster earlier said he sounded like poo poo and they're right. He's in full panic meltdown mode.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/GeorgeAylett/status/1461075122173923336

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lungboy posted:

Not fully decided yet but motorcycle mechanic is top of my list with electrician second.

If you want a guaranteed career go down the electrician route. Motorcycle mechanics are not in demand at all. Everyone will need electricians.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Queen is now not doing any public engagements until February

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lmao no wonder they wouldnt commit to anything about HS2 yesterday at PMQ's. What an absolute poo poo show and lord knows how much money has been spent on the bits they've just cancelled already.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Meanwhile Starmer is advertising GB News.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And now for something completely different:
Does anyone know what these are? They're a pair and one has a L and the other a R on it. They're mirror images.
We think they might be something to do with bicycles but we're not sure.

They're pannier racks I think. I think you're missing the rest of it though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Chinese Gordon posted:

Johnson also imitated the sound of an accelerating car with grunts that the official Downing Street release transcribed as “arum arum aaaaaaaaag”.

Seems fine.

https://twitter.com/gammonbozia/status/1462835874912210946

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59373237

quote:

A senior Downing Street source told the BBC: "Business was really looking for leadership today and it was shambolic."

They added there was "a lot of concern inside the building" about Mr Johnson.

"Cabinet needs to wake up and demand serious changes otherwise it'll keep getting worse. If they don't insist, he just won't do anything about it."

When stuff like this is being broadcast by the BBC and Kuenssberg in particular, you know hes on his way to the gallows.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They havent said exactly what the motive was but it does appear to be that case based on what people are saying. Each house had 2 allocated parking spots so I wonder if the previous owners had only got 1 car so next door just assumed they had all 3?

Who knows. loving mental.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Borrovan posted:

Sky News have got an aerial photo of the parking situation, & the police tape being up suggests it's probably an accurate slice-of-life:

I don't condone murder outside of very limited circumstances, and if I did condone murder here it'd probably be the developers not the residents, but

yeesh

That red car parked across 2 bays and the blue car parked where it is suggests what was happening. Those spaces arent allocated but the red car owners are clearly 'claiming' 2 spots and I would have to guess that the nutcase absolutely lost it over not being able to park immediately outside his front door. Its 100% some neighbors from hell stuff that's escalated to the insane level.

I've seen videos of people going mental and smashing cars up for parking infront of their house on a public road 'Thats MY spot!' etc but its always in the heat of the moment, nothing like this thats premeditated.

Payndz posted:

There's a housing development near me (in the centre of Bournemouth) that used to be three or four Edwardian semis (with small drives, enough for at least one car each) which were flattened and turned into a solid wall of something like 30 flats. Number of parking spaces for the entire development? Four. And this is in part of town where all the streets are double-yellows. The minimum price for a flat in Bournemouth is now about £100k, so it's not as if they could even justify it with "these are low-income flats, so obviously the buyers won't have cars."

You must live near me because I know exactly the development. What they're doing in Westbourne too is causing even more aggro. 30 2 bed flats and only 15 car parking spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Are SSE in trouble?

I got an e-mail saying my direct debit is going up 20% for gas due to the energy market. Mind I'm on a fixed rate and also in credit by £100 or so. I'm also massively in credit for electricity and have been for over a year so I thought its time to get that refunded which of course you cant request online. I called the number on my bill and its just a recorded message saying they can only deal with Gas and electricity emergencies at the moment. If I want to pay a bill press 1, if I dont have gas/electricity press 2. Thats all the options I have.

In the e-mail that i got about the price rise there was another number which goes to a recorded message about the price rise, so I assume its been sent to loads of people.

I managed to get through on that number and the lady on the phone said it made absolutely no sense why my bill was going up so much when it should be coming down based on the usage but that the deparmtent that could look at it was closed.

I know we've got some utility company knowers in here, any rumblings?