Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Life of luxury up there in first class with your prepissed seats while us scum in economy have to piss on our own seats.

e:

That's not a dilemma, that's just an inconvenience. Who subedited this headline, it's crap.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TACD posted:

What the gently caress is an infinity toilet

I'm also wondering and I can only imagine that, analogous to an infinity pool, it's a toilet designed to make you feel like you're making GBS threads in the ocean.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

my Proof Of Respect cryptocurrency is so popular it takes two hundred GPUs remembering the war dead at top speeds to mine a single coin

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
When is VR coming to the forums, someone get Jeffrey on this please.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

In principal it's good that there are people who will scrutinise apparently straightforward changes to the law for unintended consequences. But the people who we get to do it really do make it tough for you to put your faith in them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

peanut- posted:

Exciting new twist for war christmas as our nation's MPs all take a turn on the most respectful exercise bike.

https://twitter.com/indparltrust/status/1455852208797462536

Guavanaut posted:

Our boys didn't fly 600 miles to drop 500lb bombs on a 200ft dam to have politicians ride a bike measured in voltammeters. Force a furlong to flummox a french fish for Pfeffel!

11 furlongs is not very far at all for a healthy adult to cycle, I don't think Kim Leadbeater MP respects Our Boys at all.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Lady Demelza posted:

I'm wasting my Friday afternoon looking at firepits. I wanna burn stuff, but not my cat, and I'm worried he will try to get into it when it's still hot.

I have one like this and it's pretty alright, depending on how much you want to burn. 60cm diameter so you can build a reasonable campfire in there. I guess your cat could still jump inside it but I'd think the hanging style would be less attractive than the type with supporting legs.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Comrade Fakename posted:

Lol the government is now officially worse than the regime from V for Vendetta:

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1456770862766559240

It was like 120,000 in the Cameron years from austerity alone. At this point they're just doing victory laps.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The queen is alive and stronger than ever.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
More like Julie Bin (what she should get inside of).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol that's pretty good

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

The UK does pretty well by perceptions of public sector corruption standards

How much of that is the perceptions bit and how much is reality is a different matter, as is how much of that is due to the UK being an 'advanced economy' which means corruption is really rich people owning what used to be the public sector as opposed to average people having to bribe the gas board.

Good to see Germany in the top 10 there, a country so not corrupt that Siemens famously reported their bribes to foreign countries as deductible business expenses until the law changed in 1999. Fortunately there have been no further examples of corruption in the country since. If any of our friends from the Scandinavian politics thread are reading they can probably enlighten us on one or two recent incidents of political corruption coming out of 3rd-ranked Sweden as well.

e: Maybe those rankings are right and these really are among the least corrupt countries in the world of course, which is pretty depressing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

I think there's three factors, the first is that one, it is comparative, so the USA, where multiple metropolitan police forces just decided they wouldn't be responding to crimes in districts that didn't vote for them getting a budget increase, and the rural ones just use asset forfeiture laws to steal people's poo poo, still manages to scrape the top 25.

The second is it's perceptions of, so having to pay a £20 bribe to cross a border is seen as grubby and corrupt, but someone handing a £20m contract for passports to their wife's brother's company isn't, the 'advanced economies' can afford to keep that sort of thing at a distance for most of the people who write letters to the paper and therefore count.

The third is that, like everyone else, transparency international has a whole bunch of their own biases.

Yeah I'm sure that's all true. It's also fun to see tax havens like the Bahamas, Seychelles, Ireland, Netherlands and the UK up at the top of the chart. I guess if you merely (and legally) facilitate corruption elsewhere it's fine.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, but - and I know people say this as a joke knowing that you will do it anyway, but I'm *deadly loving serious* - don't bother looking into it unless you've a particularly strong stomach.

This is genuinely good advice, I just searched "Chris Chan" and the news story previews were enough that I regret it without reading any further.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Lungboy posted:

This article is very interesting https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/1458483178658746371. If I had time I'd try and corroborate some of it.

I'd heard of the Forbes case before, but I wasn't aware that it had set such a damaging legal precedent. In the previous discussion (somewhere on these forums but I don't recall where) I had the impression there were a number of historical examples of aristos quietly living as their preferred gender regardless of what they'd been assigned at birth and generally being accepted - perhaps considered a little eccentric, or it simply being a private medical matter. A little unclear to me how it worked out if your family didn't own a county or two though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

To my mind it's a little premature to throw your triumph complete with panegyric while the enemy is still within your borders, massacring your "troops". But perhaps that timidity is why I'll never be a disgraced former health secretary.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt other than the alleged bomber. It's interesting to watch the story change in real time: we've already gone from hero cabby stops attack on Remembrance Day parade to this poor driver getting his eardrum blown out at the end of a normal fare to the hospital. The other people arrested may not have anything to do with the cab passenger other than being unsuspecting housemates or people he called recently, cos I guess at this point the police are just casting around for whoever they can round up to say they're doing something. Or some/all of them may have been in on it, who knows.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ads are getting absolutely abysmal on YT now. The unskippable opening ads were bad enough, but now they've turned on interstitial ads by default and their algorithm for when to play them is loving terrible, so you get bumped out to an unskippable ad mid scene now.

Worse is when watching a guide for how to do something in a game - it makes it really difficult when trying to follow the flow of something complicated and it keeps popping out to sell you some poo poo for 15 seconds. If you pause (i.e. to try the thing you just watched in-game), it then adds another ad break after a few seconds.

Worst of all, new channels can't turn these interstitial ads off, and partners can only turn them off by disabling monetisation entirely.

I know they're doing it to make the platform just annoying enough to push users into subscribing to Youtube Pro/red/whatever, but it's loving annoying. It's absolutely just greed. They were making enough with the embedded ads but wanted more, so they added the opening ads. Then sometimes there were two ads. Then sometimes they were unskippable. Then they added the inserted ads.

My friend, please install uBlock Origin in your browser and Pure Tuber (formerly Vanced) on your Android mobile device. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that will work on a smart TV yet.

e: Apparently Pure Tuber is not formerly Vanced, Vanced is here: https://vancedapp.com/.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 15, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Vanced is still under development and I've seen nothing about it changing to Pure Tuber, you sure about this?

sinky posted:

Pure Tuber has nothing to do with Vanced, they just really want you to think it does.

I dunno I had Play version of Vanced installed and then one day it changed to Pure Tuber. Unless I was taken in by some weird fake Vanced. But it works as advertised, no complaints from me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thank you for the correction.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This sounds very appealing but I'd like to know more about people's experience of this. So far it's been a faff:

1) first I download the "vanced manager"
2) then i change my phone's settings to install .apk's from unknown sources because it didn't come from the play store
3) then i download something called microG which is apparently necessary but for what i don't know
4) then i download youtube vanced
5) and then - and this is where i get concerned - i have to hand over my google account credentials to sign in to youtube via vanced. How secure is this?

I don't know, that's why I installed what purported to be Vanced on Play in the first place. I can't use unapproved third party apks on my phone if I want to be able to access my work tools, so only stuff from the Play store for me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Thanks, BBC. Hard to imagine a Christian "terrorist incident" taking place in the UK on Remembrance Day of all days.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've not been following this so I want to see if I understand correctly after a bit of reading.

NI more or less got to stay in the EU single market by continuing to follow EU product rules. rUK was obviously out of that, but there was a grace period before normal border checks would come in for stuff going from rUK to NI. Now that's ending and the UK wants to continue to avoid border checks in NI, but the EU says that's not going to work because then they end up with non-conforming goods in the EU because you can't have a border in Ireland. They could live with fewer checks, if the UK agrees to follow EU product rules and share its tracking paperwork. The UK says, we can't allow a border between rUK and NI (although effectively one already exists), we're going to pull out of this whole drat deal, see if we don't. Now I guess some diplomats get to sit down in Brussels and hash out a compromise that lets the Tories save a bit of face while basically agreeing to the EU's demands?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thank you for the additional Article 16 explanations! So it sounds like the status quo (in this limited aspect) is basically fine for people in NI in practical terms, but ideologically unacceptable to the Conservative and Unionist Party and their political allies?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm hesitant to judge a man based on his father's actions, but hearing this stuff about the elder Johnson does rather shed light on some aspects of the PM's attitude to relationships for me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Also Stanley Johnson is a way bigger piece of poo poo than I'd thought, and I already thought he was at least a three flushes and some hard work with the toilet brush job.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Actually terrorism is when you Tweet "lol get in the bin you gently caress" at a journo columnist and they call the police.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
What the hell is a nutmegging? Is this like the thing with horses and ginger?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Deketh posted:

When you kick the ball through the legs of the other dude. I think the thing when you ram ginger up a horse is called feagueing or something like that.
Could be an interesting way to liven up some matches though

Oh yeah. I didn't quite get it in this context but I suppose it makes sense.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the real punchline is that the UK had every opportunity to be the big swinging dick of the EU, and arguably already was, and chose to throw it all away in a nationalistic tantrum and inevitably become a third world country.

I don't think it'll quite decline that much, but it's going to be a pretty embarrassing reversal when Britons with a pair of degrees start going to drive taxis in Poland to send money home. Except that house prices in the UK can never go down no matter what wages do, so rather than buying yourself a nice little place outside Wrocław after a few years abroad you just manage to scrape together the deposit to rent a house share in Reading.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There is some value in teaching wrong theories (with it being clear that they are wrong) where they illuminate common pitfalls or provide context for how the more correct theory was arrived at - Lamarckism is a good example because it is in some ways more intuitive than Darwinian evolution, and because it has kept cropping up again and again as an idea. But you don't have a Lamarckist guest lecturer do that, you can just spend half an hour explaining what it is, how it was found to be wrong, and how to avoid falling into the same trap yourself.

Similarly I imagine if you're teaching about the Holocaust it's worthwhile to mention Holocaust denial as both a historical and contemporary phenomenon, but you don't need to bring in a neo-Nazi to promote it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I can only understand this to mean he proposes to replace all young men with young women, so that the demographics match up with the role models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobstar posted:

Ugh, fine. Everyone's Euler system has had 18 months off.
:lol:

In the last six weeks or so I've had of relatively normal, public human interaction I've had one flu-like thing that completely wrecked me for a week, and now a nasty cold. I'm starting to wonder whether maybe I was a bit hard on Zoom meetings before.