Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Not paying your taxes is probably the one thing that would bring actual consequences, if you're not filthy rich at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Trickjaw posted:

Just been emailed by Labour HQ. There was a data breach/cyber attack on Friday. I'm not especially surprised they are lax with personal data, given I resigned as soon as Starmer got in.

Though the email says it's a third party that got breached and that "the incident had resulted in a significant quantity of Party data being rendered inaccessible on their systems" ie somebody got ransomwared.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just got one of those emails from the Labour Party about that breach. Using an email address I didn't use for them for at least 2 years before I quit.
And I have now been formally quit (including confirmation email from them since March 2020.

I do use that email address for Unite though. So I'm wondering if they're also picking up affiliates. I've not got round to stopping the political contribution element so I can possibly still get a vote in a leadership challenge if anyone worth it stands.

Yes, it includes information on affiliated supporters, so that makes sense.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

It's clear now that they were trying to get Katheryne Stone, the leader of the Standards committee, to resign before she will investigate Johnson's dodgy donations for his flat refurbishment. As per Kwasi Kwarteng:

quote:

Asked whether Stone should resign, Kwarteng told Sky News:

I think it’s difficult to see what the future of the commissioner is, given the fact that we’re reviewing the process, and we’re overturning and trying to reform this whole process, but it’s up to the commissioner to decide her position.

e: more details: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/04/is-worry-over-future-inquiries-driving-pm-to-change-watchdog

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
oh no, not a byelection in a Tory safe seat

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can't get suspended if you're no longer an MP *taps head*

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My office (which can be reasonably described as Extremely Woke) is doing a survey

Is, uh, "underclass" an accepted term? :stare:

I'm a member of the posting classes

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sinky posted:

Surely a Conservative PM wouldn't blow up the entire country to deal with an internal party issue :ohdear:

Yeah normally they blow up other countries

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
yikes

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, if you don't have a contract and you haven't agreed payment terms, there doesn't seem like much they can do. Not agreeing with their terms seems like a good reason not to go ahead. Though you could always offer something more reasonable like 20% up front and see what they say. But if you don't get a good vibe from the place then by all means walk away.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How is Labour handling the various byelections you asked? By blocking their previous candidate from the last three elections from the shortlist for being a leftie:

https://twitter.com/graeme_currie1/status/1459822975784562688

Full thread text:

quote:

Yesterday the NEC blocked my inclusion onto the North Shropshire local members hustings to shortlist for the upcoming by-election candidate. Under the guise of “due diligence” they raised spurious concerns regarding a tweet 2018 of a Palestinian badge and a Facebook post in 2020 where I quoted Jeremy Corbyn calling for calm following the Equalities Commission’s report on findings of Institutional anti-Semitism in the Labour Party. I consider I have been unjustly slurred as anti-Semitic. I abhor this slur and I am devastated and disgusted.

These baseless and unfounded assertions under the guise of “due diligence” are grossly upsetting to me. I consider that the kangaroo court of the NEC shortlisting committee has interfered in local party members choices and ability to fairly select a candidate. My support for Corbyn when he was elected Labour Party leader is in my opinion a factor in my removal from the candidates shortlist. These Stalinist tactics of the NEC flies in the face of the calls for unity within the Labour Party. I am now an outsider in my own Party where I have campaigned and fought for many years alongside my fellow party members for a more equal, socially just and non-discriminatory society. To feel I cannot be part of this anymore. Labour has a corruption in its soul.

I feel betrayed and abused by the NEC who have rejected me on spurious and unfair grounds and have prevented local members from a considering my suitability. I was committed to supporting whoever was selected alongside local members but now I will be unable to campaign for Labour. I am not sure I am even a member anymore. I express my sadness, anger and revulsion at this unfair and undemocratic treatment! I will not be able to campaign now or probably ever again for the Labour Party. I am devastated and destroyed by the casual horror of my treatment by NEC.

https://labourlist.org/2021/11/labour-selects-ben-wood-as-candidate-for-north-shropshire-by-election/

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

keep punching joe posted:

I would unironically support a Labour government making Boris Johnson stateless.

Neither a solid nor a liquid state - just custard.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

:rip:

E: so basically they won't let her out because they don't think she'll survive winter?

If you leave the door open, she could run off into the wilderness and not be able to find her way home. In her weakened state she might then get eaten by predators or succumb to the cold.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think Labour is keen not to touch the massive can of worms that is Brexit and the UK's relationship with the EU, because that would immediately set off the whole debate again. Much easier to criticize the utter shitshow that Brexit has become under the Tories - never interrupt your enemy etc. etc.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jedit posted:

The thing with "never interrupt your enemy while he's making a mistake" is that it doesn't work if you don't capitalise on the mistake and instead allow him to continue making mistakes unopposed. Which is the Labour strategy: "do nothing to show that we give a gently caress about the mistakes the Tories are making, we don't need to because it's our turn".

But you can criticize everything the Tories are doing wrong while avoiding presenting an alternative plan that would get you criticized in turn, drawing fire away from the Tories. I wasn't really trying to say how successful Labour are doing this, one way or the other.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/57Rovert/status/1462671293795508227

Narrator: The British did not learn from the Dutch, nor from anyone else.

The Netherlands also has issues with houses built on flood plains for much the same reasons.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Antigravitas posted:

Presented unironically

Hold on what's wrong with buying groceries for two weeks? Surely that's better than driving down there every other day to pick up one loaf of bread and three bananas?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(The other ship on the expedition was called HMS Terror, so they got off lightly

I think I'd pay good money for my address to be 1, Terror Alley actually

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Marmaduke! posted:

Remember how the centrists would crow how Jermery Crombolyn lost to Teresa May and her wurst government ever but of course that doesn't factor in to the current government, so they can't actually criticise them too badly as it will make their boy look terrible since he can barely match them. Snookered themselves out of hate for the left...

Does the wurst government have a pretzel cabinet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That reminds me that I want to set up a donation to the RNLI - even more so if they have to deal with shits like that