Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh good, all the democrats have to do is pass a big spending bill that helps people. I'm sure there's nobody who will stop that.

Imagine what this country would be like if either party actually wanted to help people worth less than $10MM. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Did the court find in Heller that self-defense is a component of the 2nd, or is this just him making up poo poo on the fly?

Come to think of it “making up poo poo on the fly” is a fairly accurate description of the court’s role.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Give every American one (1) frag grenade.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Midjack posted:

It means practically everyone in a given place has immunity either from infection or immunization.

Which is an interesting definition, since infection doesn’t confer lasting immunity and none of the current vaccines are sterilizing, they just make infection less likely and reduce the severity of breakthrough cases.

Endemic just means “We’re tired of dealing with this. Get back to work and school and consuming products.” It’s a policy decision, not an actual change in the status of the deadly virus responsible for millions of deaths.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

golden bubble posted:

Endemic means a disease has reached a steady-state equilibrium, where it doesn't spike in infections out of nowhere but it also never ever goes away. Plenty of scientists expected COVID19 to eventually become endemic in the end. The four coronaviruses that make up 20% of common colds had to have come from somewhere. The hope is that with these new treatments and the much less severe infections among vaccinated folks, we can start treating COVID19 as no worse than a somewhat bad cold.

That’s true, and I would love for COVID-19 actually to be endemic. Problem is it is nowhere near said equilibrium and that hope for treatments that render infection no worse than a cold isn’t based on any experimental results afaik, just a vague desire to go back to how things were before. Instead we (in the US) largely abandoned non-vaccine countermeasures in May and are eagerly embracing the idea that this disease is currently endemic despite all evidence to the contrary.

Right now it’s just pure hopium combined with capital pressuring government to get the wage slaves back to work, body count be damned.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Why would they primary AOC? She's an establishment Dem with flashy rhetoric to fool the proles. She even voted for Pelosi.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't think it's acting. Unless you're a psychopath recalling merking some dude should illicit some sort of emotional response.

That and sitting in a courtroom describing it has to drive home the possibility that he might actually see consequences from his actions, a possibility that I guarantee did not occur to him in the moment when he decided to go play murder safari.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

fknlo posted:

I haven’t been following this at all since I decided to stop wasting mental energy on this kind of stuff, but is there any real chance he’s going to face consequences? This seemed like the type of case where you go after lesser charges you’ll actually be able to stick to them from the start.

I’m not following it that closely either since I can’t help and don’t need yet another stressor right now. Based on what I’ve seen he seems likely to walk on the most serious charges since the prosecutor is either incompetent or playing to lose. Not a lawyer or expert though, so by no means should you take my dumbass opinions as fact. All I know is that these things very often result in injustice and it seems reasonable to expect that here as well.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

I scheduled my booster through my GP's office and the fuckin nurse wanted to argue about my eligibility after she'd already uncapped the needle. F- experience, will chain pharmacy next time

Sounds like you need a new GP. Be sure to tell them why you’re leaving.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ASAPI posted:

The only thing I’m taking solace in right now is that things would be far, far worse with Trump in charge.

How so? Democrats seem to be pushing the same pro-wealth, anti-working class agenda the GOP does, just as Joe promised when he told donors that nothing fundamentally would change. Is it just that they’re less gauche? At least under Trump the administration’s incompetence often led to their ghoulish plans’ failure and the liberals weren’t all completely asleep. Most of my liberal friends are convinced that the adults are in charge and have stopped paying attention, meanwhile the border camps are still packed full of the humans their yard signs insist aren’t illegal, we’re on track for more Covid deaths in Biden’s first year than we saw in Trump’s final year, and Joe Biden, an architect of the nation’s failed war on drugs, has signaled that he’s quite happy to let people continue to be forced into slave labor for the crime of being caught with a plant despite being able to stop such an obvious injustice with the stroke of a pen.

Big Headline is wrong. We aren’t going to see an end to democracy: it has been and gone, and we are ruled by oligarchs who maintain a thin veneer of democratic legitimacy to keep the people in line.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ASAPI posted:

Look, they leave much (so very much ) to be desired.

We would have twice as many dead under Trump. Everything that we are complaining about now would be accelerated, others have already observed that the republicans are quick to push through plans while the dems don’t.

Are they doing what I want them to do? No. Are they better than Trump? Yes. I can hold that opinion, it isn’t like you have to do mental gymnastics to equate the current admin as “better”.

There’s no way to know either way which would be worse, but once Dems took control they dropped the centrist culture war over Covid and rushed to end NPIs. I’ve heard a lot about listening to “science,” but at every step the guidance has been at odds with the latest research, from embracing an eighty year old lie about the nature of airborne droplets to pretending that a nonsterilizing vaccine is sufficient to throw away masks and distancing to insisting that actually kids are immune and if they aren’t it’s really no big deal for them to be infected with a largely unknown virus.

Maybe Democrats are “better” than Republicans in the sense that they mostly just attempt to maintain the incredibly unjust status quo at any cost while the Republicans are effective at pushing to the right. This is a case where “better” just gets you an openly white supremacist theocracy a decade or two later instead of actually preventing it. That’s not a meaningful distinction to me.

e: My point is that we need to do a hell of a lot of work to create a remotely just country, and the Democratic machine is incredibly effective at crushing any effort to do so. They’re quite openly a massive part of the reason people’s material conditions are only permitted to improve as a last resort.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 14, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What's better, hanging by a string with the *faintest* of hopes or plunging to your death?

It is better not to lie to oneself. If one refuses to admit one is falling it is impossible to try to arrest one’s fall.

e: I didn’t come in here to argue with anyone, but there’s real “this is fine” energy from some in here, and it’s disturbingly at odds with every bit of evidence I can see. Nothing is going to change unless people are willing to face reality.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 15, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Do you talk about politics at parties? I’d reconsider that if I were you.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Godholio posted:

Who? Be specific. I don't think there's a single actual Biden fan in this entire subforum.

I’m not going to go back and quote posts, but there were a few who seemed perfectly satisfied by the current administration. I could also be wrong, as happens regularly. I’m doing my best, but am far from perfect. There definitely doesn’t seem to be enthusiastic support, except maybe from this guy. Maybe. He doesn’t seem brave enough to make an actual point?

Cugel the Clever posted:

There's a curious tendency for those ardent proponents of using the most radical methods in pursuit of goal X to discount (and, frequently, disparage) those that fight for goal X without the same level of extreme rhetoric or action. Often even to the point where it seems defeating less openly radical groups is a higher priority than effecting the change both express a desire to see! This urge to declare and constantly reinforce this oppositional identity is great for feeling like you're part of a select tribe that's incontrovertibly Correct™, but less great for overcoming an actual opposition that is willing and able to build a broader coalition by reconciling or papering over its own internal dissension in pursuit of its ends.

Uhh, current event: it's cold and dark wtf

I can only assume that “Goal X” is some policy goal shared by the Democratic establishment and people fed up with material conditions never improving, but I honestly have no idea what shared goal would would legitimize this weird appeal toward incrementalism. Also curious what these “radical methods” include, since most of the people clamoring for meaningful goals like medical care, housing, and food would be perfectly happy to see the status quo upset by Congress passing a law.

Anyway, Democrats are not going to save us, Republicans are happy to see us die, so I guess I’ll have a beer.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Baconroll posted:

So the attack in the UK yesterday has been declared a terrorist attack. Theres new video released of the suicide bomber detonating his device still inside a taxi and it kinda looks like a partial detonation,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68DKKEKeRzk

Luckily the taxi driver survived, and it seems he diverted the taxi away from a Rememberance Day ceremony when he realised something was off with the passenger.

That looks like he set it off by accident, unless he was waging a war against taxi drivers for some reason. It’s nice when shitheads who want to kill people are bad at it at least.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Maybe I'm a mega doomer but I don't find any mirth in the guy who posted an anime video where he kills a Congress member and is facing zero consequences for it explaining anime

I think it's pretty funny. Not the video, but that the posting of a gross video grabbed so much attention when ultimately it doesn't mean a damned thing. Politics is 95% posturing and signaling and (at most) 5% actually doing anything that matters. We can either laugh or cry about the fact that twitter drama is apparently a really important thing for us all to talk about, and I choose to laugh.

The crazies who wanted to do violence to politicians aren't going to be more inclined to do violence to politicians because of a dumb video, and the people who didn't want to do violence to politicians aren't going to watch that video and decide that violence is good and cool as a result.

One thing we can all agree on I think is that Gosar loving sucks.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yup. His entire family is not a fan.

This was also extremely funny. Just imagine your entire family feeling the need to make public statements that they don't support or side with you in any way.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

I hope he buys a motorcycle.

Yeah, someone give this jackass a liter bike. Should sort things out pdq.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Got booster not a gay antifa yet but it's only been an hour

I did wonder why my booster goodie bag included a brick and a bottle of poppers nestled in among the coupons.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

This was the expected outcome.

Yeah, it's legal for conservative white dudes to kill people who aren't conservative white dudes. This has been the case for in this country for literally hundreds of years.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Agreed we've got an infrastructure bill to lose another few hundred billion from.

drat if only there were ways to strengthen the core of our democracy like ensuring voting rights aren't eroded or that a weaponized, white nationalist police force isn't running rough shod and the people who are all in on RAHOWA aren't given a blank check to just go commit murders. Probably impossible!

But a white nationalist police force running roughshod over minorities/poor/dissidents is a huge part of the core of our democracy. :confused:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It doesn't matter that most of the white supremacist assholes are cowards. It only takes a couple emboldened enough to start shooting. Things are going to get ugly. Uglier.

:five:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is just an appetizer. The first course comes in the 2022 midterms.

What do you think is going to happen (other than the obvious Dem bloodbath) that will be worse than white supremacists slaughtering people without consequence?

I'm not trying to fight here, but if electoral politics seem more significant to you than actual bullets turning humans into lumps of meat I'm not even sure how to respond.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What'll be worse is when those same "Dems" switch sides simply because they're tired of losing or trying to get on the ground floor before they're locked out. It's going to happen because people have so little nowadays that "being in the tribe that's winning" is something palpable even if it gains you nothing tangible.

Just so we're clear, you think some centrists who are already aligned with Republicans on most issues choosing to change the letter after their name from "D" to "R" is worse than the ultraright gunning down people in the street? Did I interpret your post correctly? :wtc:

Honestly I don't think you have a clue how politics works. Dems are happy to lose as long as the cash keeps flowing and the consultant class gets paid. Remind me who chairs the DNC again?

e: got you before the edit.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

The most boring part of fretting about Dems losing in 2022: that it always happens that the president’s party gets beaten after the president wins term 1. The one outlier in the last 20-30 years was caused by 9/11.

You can basically just flip the party and year and pre-write the headline after a new president is elected.

As always, technically true. Let's wait and see how badly Dems eat it in midterms and then revisit this post in context of other midterm results.

Things are looking much worse than usual for the party in power.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

The consequences of the 2022 bloodbath that will precipitate, encourage, and enable more shithead chuds in creating situations that allow them to gun down more people without fear of judicial reprisal?

Did you miss the trial we're discussing itt? How do you expect a redder legislature to have that effect when it is already clear that they will not face judicial reprisal, and also how is this vague fear more significant than, again, the actual shootings OP was convinced were secondary to democrats' electoral defeat?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

That Works posted:

Are you just here to try to start an argument with everyone that doesn't express their thoughts on the matter that are perfectly in agreement with yours?

I'm really not. I was just gobsmacked by the "actually electoral defeat for the democrats is worse than people getting shot" take. I'm against people being shot by white supremacists, you see.

Guess I'll go touch grass, or whatever the kids are saying these days.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Rittenhouse is 100% going to get paid.

https://twitter.com/tuckercarlson/status/1461851263231004677

Loucks
May 21, 2007

You sound like a right winger to me.

maffew buildings posted:

I'm a mega doomer and hopefully I'm wrong but I still expect late night talk show hosts to make jokes about this kid and just diminish what happened and what it portends

Late night has always been about spoon feeding the most trivializing takes to an audience well into their fourth drink of the night. You’re not being a doomer here at all.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I envision a near-future where pickup trucks roam neighborhoods with armed chuds in the cab hunting for Others and 'undesirables.' And when that future comes, I'm taking at least some of those fuckers with me.

I misjudged you. You’re decent people imo.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

$1k for what should've been considered attempted murder.

The gently caress is wrong with that judge and prosecutor.

It's attempted murder if you use a gun, but in the US we've devoted massive effort toward ensuring that people aren't punished for car crimes, MADD's efforts to reduce drunk driving notwithstanding. It's routine for drivers to kill people and walk free because it was an "accident." I don't know the specifics of that incident, but it's no real shock that it wasn't taken seriously. Hell, recently I had a guy try to run over me with his truck (as in, full eye contact, mashing the gas, I jumped out of the way and would have been dead or permanently hosed if I hadn't) and the cops just asked if he had a gun or other weapon and lied about having a detective call me back. I even had the guy's name and address. If you want to do some killing your best bet is to buy a big truck or SUV and pretend you're just a really bad driver when they catch you.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Notahippie posted:

Combine that with the fact that it was a DV case and courts aren't great about taking that seriously in the first place.

Good point.

I did see a claim in another thread that the low bail was in part due to a covid-related backlog resulting in no way for him to get a speedy trial, so they set the bail low and released him to avoid having to dismiss the case. Don't take that as definitive in any way because I have no idea whether this is 1) true or b) makes any sense at all because I'm neither a lawyer nor familiar with that state's legal system.

My cloudshouting about car crimes stands, however.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Looks like douchebag who ran over people did it intentionally

You've been really open about trusting cops in the past, but accepting a criminal complaint as definitive proof of the guy's state of mind is next level.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Did you not see all of the videos basically confirming this?

I'm not defending the guy or denying that the videos exist. I'm not even trying to be combative. It'd just that your leap from the actual evidence that exists to insisting that he ran over people intentionally isn't warranted. We can say that he did a bad thing without making that baseless leap, unless of course it's important to you for some reason to take a criminal complaint at face value. Luckily for the rest of us that's not how the legal system works.

The criminal complaint is interesting and a good thing to post. Your commentary is the part that just doesn't make sense.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

He drove over children.

He did. The dude sucks out loud, and I am not a fan. What's your point?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Oh yeah, he's totally hosed. He does sound like he was a pos anyway if the DV thing had any legs. You're also totally right that it doesn't even matter whether the cops played a role since there is zero will to fix anything.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That not even cops trying to actively murder you can excuse plowing through a crowd with children, wtf
That cops will lie is a given still you don't need their story to know what you saw

Nuance is hard apparently. I'll break it down for you.

Running over people: unequivocally a bad thing

Guessing what was happening in the guy's head at the time on the basis of a criminal complaint and some videos which show only his actions, not his mental state: pointless and weird

Telling BaF that their conclusion isn't conclusively supported by the evidence: not defending the rear end in a top hat who ran over a bunch of people.

Seriously, we can condemn the guy's actions without trying to read his mind. What's even the point of that? Anyway this wasn't supposed to be a derail and I apologize to anyone who can grasp that saying "that's baseless" doesn't mean "I love it when people run over grandmas."

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Arcella posted:

Oh I get it, you’re the new Dead Reckoning

very hurtful

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I was under the impression that generally the take rate on wagons was pretty low and SUVs are way more profitable. Anyway as much as I am concerned about climate change I'm pretty sure we're locked in anyway. Give me a stupidly overpowered manual AWD wagon please, automakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

davecrazy posted:

you can get a 4 door family sedan that goes 0-60 in under 4 seconds.

Yeah, the Tesla 3 is a pretty quick car.