Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1455591829198577668

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Really don't know wtf I would do about it at my precinct. There was a guy earlier that came in with gently caress [MAYOR] on the back of his hoodie and we didn't notice until he was past check-in. At the time, we only had three people instead of five, and it's not like there would be a fast response from police if he started up some poo poo. So we dealt with him like the obvious Trumpers last year - let them go and deny them the attention, even though we're technically supposed to stop them. They leave faster and it's really best for everyone.

Likely different because this dude's running for NYC mayor, probably way more likely he'd just yell and that's it.

That's an interesting point, seems dumb on many levels. You'd think a GOP candidate in NYC could harp on law & order and point at crime statistics to gain traction but harassing poll workers and acting like a cartoon cat lady might not help that argument. Even as a cat owner I wouldn't take my one indoor cat (this dude owns 17?!) out for a walk as it would stress her out and make me look like a weirdo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It will depend on the industry. Tech is staying remote, there's no going back now. Any company that tries to go back on that will see an exodus of employees and they won't have any trouble finding another job that is remote.

Other white collar industries where workers don't have the same leverage, we'll have to wait and see. If some executives decide they want to see asses in seats, a lot of people aren't really going to have any choice but to get their asses in seats.

Yeah my MegaCorp is a slow moving dinosaur, we only got sent home after coworkers began dropping dead. Our management would want everyone back as that’s the culture, but they got pushback from IT management as we already weren’t paying talent competitively and had been plugging the gaps with expensive contractors, and so many people were leaving it reached the point where many depts would have stopped functioning if they rushed people back in. Now there’s talk of permanent WFH for IT, which is alright with me.

On a larger level it’s annoying to have the back to the office/WFH argument framed as being a generational thing, as others have pointed out many rich people rent out office space and need a captive crowd to buy things while commuting and getting lunch. It’s like a few years back in my state when there was a ballot measure to privatize liquor sales and only watching the ads you’d think it was a debate between serious looking fire fighters concerned about drunk driving and the other side wanting more freedom, when a quick glance at who donated 99% of the money shows it was a fight between grocery stores and beer companies.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Good for her, dang kinda nice how for something that been around forever Wikipedia still has decent quality controls. I know they have issues but clearing the hurdle of "we found something we host that enables far right extremist recruiting, when brought to our attention it was removed" is impressive.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Movie was so stupid but man it had its parts. Will never not laugh at flyboy stripper wife. From everything I've heard they totally nailed it

It’s everything you could hope for in a 90s summer blockbuster. The visual effects still hold up alright. Although the sequel is the worst movie I’ve paid to see.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Independence Day

e: Or is the joke that it can’t possibly be that because it’s not everything you could hope for and the effects do not hold up?

No I think they still look good, as most were models and practical effects so they've aged decently. Nothing industry changing like Jurassic Park but still darn good explosions and the spectacle of the ships over the cities holds up.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day:_Resurgence

The worst thing about this movie is that it teases what would've been a badass movie inside it. One of the city-killer ships *landed* in Africa and the continent went to war with the aliens and *won*. But we never get to see *any* of that awesome :black101: poo poo.

It also has Sela Ward, a timelessly beautiful woman, playing a horrendously inept Generic Female President, and every other character is a loving parody. Watch it to see Brent Spiner be given free reign to be himself.

Yeah I know it would never happen but an ID4 sequel where the world is trying to recover as Africa fights a downed city ship could have been fascinating. Have African nations recover the most alien tech intact and get an Xcom level science boost. Nations could squander limited funds on military buildup and watching the skies as their people try to recover. Cities would naturally resist becoming too large out of fear of alien return so rural areas experience a "Resurgence." How do world religions take into account the existence of aliens? Tons of potential.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Honestly ID4 was fun and I loved it as a kid, but Battle LA (don’t kill me) surpassed it as my favorite Alien Invasion movie once I saw that. Yes it’s a Marine Corps recruiting movie but it’s a fun one and once you watch it, if you want you can just skip the first 15 minutes and go right to the action. Excellent score by Brian Tyler too. It also represents an interesting time thematically in American history and stylistically it’s very different from most alien invasion movies.

Agreed the aliens are great in that and it was clever to have them using coherent tactics and the fight scenes were good. But I rewatched this year and oh man the characters are charisma black holes and it is hard to care what happens to them. Wish they'd had a better final fight scene rather than the videogamey "blow up the drone controller to make the other drones crash."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

While we're talking about wasted cinematic opportunities, I'm still so bummed that World War Z got turned into a relatively generic action-horror movie when it could have been an *incredible* mini-series with each chapter of Max Brooks' book being told in a pseudo-documentary style. Imagine an episode on society collapsing during the Great Panic, a Ken Burns' Vietnam-style episode on the Battle of Yonkers, the wartime economy, etc. gently caress, every time I think about that squandered opportunity I have to walk around for a couple of minutes.

And also we're not getting a sequel to WWZ for many reasons; apparently the reason was because films about zombies or ghosts are banned in China and Paramount didn't want to alienate that market.

Whoa that would be a cool idea. Especially if they had a mix of footage from the "real" events and also in-universe actors recreating events. Could have a part of the narrative be the government is paying for the documentary so in the staged footage soldiers are dropping zombies at a hundred yards with pistol shots anywhere, but in flashbacks they're panicking and abandoning civilians as emptying a clip to destroy a zombie's arm won't stop it, as fighter planes circle uselessly. The scenes of the middle class trying to escape cities in mile long convoys that get stalled and overrun would be amazing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

I read World War Z on an airplane flight, which is probably the only way I got through it.

I think he had a few decent short stories and then felt compelled to fill it out to be longer via more very bad short stories.

Yeah overall it’s a fun read but dang there are some low points. Like the swamp ghost visiting the airplane pilot or the cringe stuff where the USC students start fighting as Spartans, or the Japanese shut in student who becomes a martial arts champ by learning from an blind master. The last act felt a bit too neat and tidy, with the army having bite proof uniforms and mowing down zombies with fire ammo. Wish there’d been a twist like long term infected becoming more dangerous or mutating.

I did enjoy his GI Joe one shot “hearts and minds.” Also not a masterpiece but entertaining.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

I would imagine that if any of the idiots got within spitting distance of Pence (like visibly seeing him and his entourage, not like what happened with Goodman leading them the other way from where he was in the Senate chambers) and didn't heed warnings to gently caress off, Secret Service would have basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Hp55r4tWs

That's a good video clip, before I clicked I guessed it was going to be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTYNwwPQH4k&t=118s

facialimpediment posted:

The best is Ayotte's response to "Hey, do you want your old jo" - "NO THANKS BYE"

https://twitter.com/jdistaso/status/1458120889497788420

That was an interesting thing of Al Franken's time as a Senator - he outright said that half of a Senator's day is making called begging for money / fundraising.

Oh yeah to a humiliating extent and for dollar amounts that aren't that much. I liked the scenes in the Wire when a miserable Carcetti had a donor on the phone and was walking them through the steps for getting family members to donate if they've already hit the dollar limit.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Yea it was talked about when it first came to light like in 2019? Haven’t heard much about it affecting ships though.

There was an interesting part of McCullough's Truman biography when he was leading an oversight committee in the Senate during WWII and would do serious investigations into new recruits being forced to sleep in the mud because housing contractors weren't doing their jobs, engines going out in planes, or ships with subpar steel breaking in half when leaving port, with the committee being a huge success that saved many lives. Don't think we have those investigations anymore.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah Mitt Romney would've been completely and utterly torn apart, or he would've led everyone back to the Senate Chamber as he was retreating (remember the mob didn't know how to actually get there at the start and Goodman kept them diverted away).

Pence had a security detail, with at least a few dudes that had guns. Romney didn't have poo poo.

I kinda wonder (not wishing harm on anyone) what the consequences would have been if several GOP senators had perished at the hands of the mob. I assume the survivors would still refuse to allow it to be investigated.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I've definitely made a call or three like that to my veterinarian cousin, but they call me every time they have car trouble, so I feel like we have a fair trade in comforting each other in things we can't handle at the moment.

I have an electrical engineer buddy who's going to help me switch out some outlets this weekend. Made sure to check well in advance it was ok with his schedule and make it clear he's getting a lunch out of the deal.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Stargate SG-1 treats them as if they were M2s.

Didn't they use them for that show as they eject shells downward so that helps with actor safety? Probably their lightweight and futuristic appearance didn't hurt.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

McNally posted:

I took a class on Russian history and described the naval losses in the Russo-Japanese war as an "unplanned expedition to map the sea floor" in my midterm exam.

Oh for sure, it was insane that upon leaving port they attacked and sunk a suspected Japanese torpedo boat. In the North Sea 20km from Japan. The sinking of a British fishing boat almost led to war and made their long journey harder as they were prohibited from using UK owned coaling stations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I know little about Russian military history aside from WWII, did they ever have an era of naval glory and achievement? Odd to grow up with stuff like red October portraying elite cutting edge ships when in reality not sure how the red navy would have done in a conflict.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So yesterdays Alien and Zombie invasion and Mel Brooks chat was awesome and I wound up watching Battle LA in a new 4K version last night and yep, while not perfect, still great. That said I noticed (and it's been a year or so since I last watched it from the beginning) all the characters having their rank and name appear on screen when they first appear. I for the life of me can't remember that from past viewings (but I am guilty of skimming the opening at times lol). Also remembered the exact part when a bunch of hipster poo poo heads (who wouldn't shut up during it) during the movie started laughing when Michael Pena dies and I just started screaming at them and said I'd shove an issue of Pitchfork up their asses if they didn't shut up. They actually did. Still can't believe I did that. :lol:

Nice! When I saw 12 Cloverfield Lane a guy warned loud teens to hush and yup they did quiet down. Same guy later in the film when the UFO appears gave a loud “what the gently caress???!” that was perfectly timed and got a big laugh. That dude being there bumped the movie from 3 to 4 stars easy.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Is red letter media cancelled? I legit don’t know, goons seem to have strong opinions in various megathreads and I’m not sure if it is because they said something about Star Wars or did something horrible.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

stealie72 posted:

On a zoom where a woman is talking about her aid work in Afghanistan as it was collapsing and she had a brief aside about an interpreter in the crowd outside the airport who was waving a picture of Chesty Puller to get the Marines to get him inside the airport.

She didn't say if it worked or not, but [insert gif of guy tapping his temple and smiling here].

Eventually this is going to turn to what we can do locally to help refugees, but we get story time first.

After watching the Pacific I’m thinking he was waving a photo of William Sadler and hoping Section 31 would approve his extraction.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Woah! Didn’t see that coming

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, Frags himself dropped the video.

LadyAmbien confirmed too

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

His greatest contribution was the strict mod/paywall environment to keep nazis out.

For sure, glad that persists

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm even a little sad for him, because who knows what was going on in his head during those final moments.

Probably wondering how the hell Andy Dufresne ever got the best of him.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Best Friends posted:

I realize this sounds like a troll but I fully mean it: if you're watching hours of youtubes about when you should and should not be shooting people, go to therapy instead. I guarantee your life is not that dangerous, and fixating on the use of lethal force is not doing your mental health any favors.

Oh yeah a friend’s brother I check in on from time to time, because of his extreme over sharing on FB and many other outlets, got mocked on a gun forum for seriously trying to figure out a shower holster in case his enemies chose that moment to strike.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The only people I’ve seen really mad at robert evans are the insanely online cspam Glen Greenwald fan club types. Yeah it’d be great if he was more critical of his involvement with Bellingcat but to his credit he’s one of the few leftist voices that seems to also be in that niche of mainstream enough to hook liberals and progressives to engage more with actual leftist content.

I feel like most of the criticism besides his connection to Brown Moses is just too online leftist infighting bullshit.

Wait I'm out of the loop, what did Brown Moses do? I don't doubt something happened but the last thing I recall about him was years ago he'd post a lot about the Middle East and seemed well informed.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I may actually vote for Biden again, simply because he actually ended the war and hasn’t as totally rolled over to corporate and military-industrial funded dem agenda as the average D Senator. The border stuff is horrible but at least for me as horrible it is I have to weight that in context with who the Dems will run if they decide Biden wasn’t centristing hard enough or Trump round 2.

I’m more thinking about in VA where the Dems ran the most motherfucking boring white bread centrist empty suit moderate and are somehow still blaming progressives and the left for getting trounced.

Yeah I'll vote for him but as I'm in WA if the GOP presidential candidate was making the race close enough that my vote mattered in Biden winning the state, Dems would be facing an 84 level red wave.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

It wasn't just a handful. But more my point is that he was caught out massaging the story here, so everything he does is now suspect. But some people either don't know about it, or handwave it away because guns are involved.

On the whole Evans seems ok, but I don't pay much attention to his stuff as he seems desperate to convey a grizzled image of a mix of a front line war reporter (I know he has been to the middle east, but he isn't constantly at the fall of Saigon)/Hunter S. Thompson and frequently offers reminders of his hardscrabble upbringing. After a while it gets exhausting and I'm not a fan of the writing style of "high school newspaper editor excited to learn they can say gently caress if teacher isn't in the room."

His twitter also seems to be full of insider feuds with other social media political figures, which was a big reason I bailed on Chapo even if I probably agree with them on 9/10 issues. I never figured out why chapo was fascinated by what baseball AVI twitter man said or why it needed to fill half an episode.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I think one thing (and I know this isn't the case here) is when people hear Green Berets they think of John Rambo and then seal stuff. I remember a former one spoke at my high school (he was still in, but higher up now) for an international affairs club I was in and the discussion was about all the support and training stuff they do. Which makes sense and is good, but not any of the SF Delta or Seal stuff I would have thought.

Do they still have to become fluent in another language? Or was that ever a requirement?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Gee, I wonder what the one thing is that Tarrio thinks makes his situation different, and why he shouldn't be there.

I've wondered what would happen if in criminal trials jurors were given zero details about the defendant's race, name, wealth, etc, and defense attorneys were drawn from a communal pool with no private option, and they couldn't strike jurors.

Would be fascinating to see what happened to prisons after the first few rich frat guys can't buy their way out of DUIs. I have similar thoughts on forcing billionaire kids to go to public schools and if they want lower class sizes or teacher quality they are free to donate to the state's education budget and raise all boats.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yes, among others.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...s-a9554191.html

He is human dog poo poo.

It served only 45 days for the attack.

He tried to get a pardon, because as a felony, he can't do certain things.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/21/mark-wahlberg-racial-violence-victim-says-actor-shouldnt-be-pardoned/

Pretty sure he tried paying the guy off.

Whoa! Plus those were the only incidents that were thoroughly documented. Could be far more where he wasn’t identified or weren’t reported.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Surely SNL wouldn’t allow a man like that to make a cameo where he talks to farm animals

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

And here my 9 year old demanded a king sized candy bar for getting the shot from CVS. She got two because gently caress it why not.

Nice! When I was little after minor surgery I got to pick a game boy game, either Link’s Awakening or Kirby’s Dreamland. I choose poorly :(

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Both pretty awesome games though?

Kirby looks good but is easy and a bit dull after one playthrough. Link's Awakening was the best game on the system.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The booster is so loving good.

I hate the continuing pandemic, but it could have been so much worse.

Yeah I was talking with a friend about what this would have looked like in early 90s.
Challenges:
-much slower vaccine development
-near zero WFH or remote learning options
-no online shopping or entertainment choices

Advantages:
-more trust in government would help ease response
-lack of misinformation ecosystem would help boost vaccine intake

I still dunno how it would have been handled. My guess is major restrictions on travel and possible national stay at home orders for weeks?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Dang between that and states lowering restrictions on the working age to like 14 or 15 it has a feel of late stage CSA/45 Germany when they were abandoning draft age/fitness requirements to scrape together units.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjb8mv/qanon-jfk-cult-tearing-families-apart

I know it's vice, but still. I'm waiting for the next waco with these people now.

Yeah I’ve seen commentary these people need intensive anti-cult deprogramming to have hope of returning to society.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Ugh, I'm triggered.

The nonprofit sector has been grappling with inequality for a long time now. So many funders want demographics so they can feel good that their money is going to "underserved communities." Worked with an arts organization that was dealing with a major funder that wanted more non-white people to attend the free public concerts said organization put on all summer in a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood. Concerts that you just walked into the neighborhood park where they were happening and enjoyed. So said nonprofit did exactly this. Eyeballed the poo poo out of it and low and behold, their stats showed more non-white participation.

This story repeats 1000 times across the nonprofit sector. Unless it's something like a school with enrolment forms or a social service organization with intake that specifically can ask race (or thanks to physical segregation, zip code) everyone is eyeballing it.

My MegaCorp decided to award more contracts to minority or women owned businesses. Overnight many long term vendors run by white guys decided their wives should be considered the company owner now, while changing nothing else. The folks running our program were pleased a number went up to prove our commitment to social justice.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

In law cousin joined Air Force a few years ago and immediately bought a truck, but upon seeing it I learned it was several years old and mostly practical for his needs. Then he bought a small airplane, but is constantly taking lessons to advance his career so makes sense I suppose. Not even married yet.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That Works posted:

Got something to be thankful for tomorrow, re: Aubrey ruling.

Yeah. Wonder if this falls into the category of “absolutely nothing would have happened” if there hadn’t been video. Like that South Carolina shooting where the cop claimed the guy went for his taser when in reality he’d been shot in the back while running away.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

BaconAndBullets posted:

I don't quite understand how there's migrant boats between France and England, straight up ignorance on my part. Also, post-Brexit, who wants to go to England?

There are a large number of migrant camps in northern France. It is difficult to enter England via Chunnel without approval. If a migrant can reach England via boat they may be able to stay.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That was such a low point. Hey if you make major concessions to reach a deal with the US it can get thrown out the window on a whim by someone who can’t find your country on a map, hope knowing that doesn’t make it much less likely for similar leaders to risk their necks dealing with the US in the future.

Hey, please don’t learn a lesson from how NK getting nukes but Libya not having them led to very different fates for their autocrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Here's how much Jack Dorsey (now-former CEO of twitter) sucks:

https://twitter.com/jack/status/1465347002426867720

https://twitter.com/ritholtz/status/1465327857752842240

"Cryptobro quits twitter"

Yeah he's awful although it was amusing when Alex Jones did everything he could to violated TOS to get perma'ed and it didn't happen until he confronted Jack in person.

Him leaving feels like when the Uber CEO was forced out and he took his billions to decompress on a yacht. I don't think these people are learning any lessons.