Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
lol

https://twitter.com/calvinbecerra/status/1454328591202721796?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Beyond the joke replies, there are so many replies of "man, sucks, but you kind of scammed yourself. Anyway, time to get back on the NFT horse, go buy more NFTs!!!!"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

It’ll be interesting to see what the military actually does with this. I’m not convinced that the FAA is going to actually do anything when push comes to shove and progressive discipline starts

So far, around here: GOMOR with separation processing to follow. Those with special conditions are in a wait status and probably get one last chance to get the vaxx without a GOMOR if their exemptions are formally denied.

The primary reasons folks are not done with vaccinations is either waiting on shot 1 timeout so they can get shot 2, a rare incidence like they’ve been in the hospital with an unrelated condition for weeks/months, they’ve been assigned to Nowhere Island on some weird assignment without medical support, or they’re in line for an exemption response. Several exemption packets have come back denied, while others are still being processed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Melthir posted:

If true...good job dad? I honestly don't know how to feel about this having children. There isn't much I wouldn't do for them.

Hopefully your kids never ask you to abduct a man, stab him to death, and stash the corpse somewhere using an unwitting third party mule then.

To be fair to his kid, there’s no evidence she asked him to do this.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wish Serwer was not so often depressingly correct.

https://twitter.com/adamserwer/status/1455604161249259524?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Every time but once in the past 30 years, the president’s party gets trounced next election.

It’s not a “lol, nothing matters,” take but more that a lot of mediocre writers and news click seekers will try to spin an exciting narrative out of an outcome that is in line with historic norms. Plus politicians doing the spiderman meme.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I think so (same with McDonald), but I recall that was limited only to the question of inside the home.

Yeah. Home vs out and about is a big difference and part of why there is legitimate vs feigned confusion about where the line is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

I dunno if it's legit, but I'd argue there are exceptions built into the "core right to self defense" as there are places where you are not allowed to carry guns even though it's possible for you to be attacked, ex courthouses.

They covered that a bit earlier in oral argument. The plaintiffs lawyer was cautious not to make a call one way or the other on where he stood ref subways etc.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Gorsuch kinda getting after it here. NY prefers history (there is a shitload of precedent for very strict gun control), whereas gun rights hardliners would love to have a court say those past decades/centuries+ years were just interpreted wrong by lower courts and cities/states.

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1455926048932171781?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/rachelkaras/status/1455930371451858949?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/donnermaps/status/1455928984315707392?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kyletrainemoji/status/1456383140163817472?s=21

Wehraboos vs “citation needed”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I want the slides, man.

https://twitter.com/stevepopper/status/1456677479435972616?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1456588827804545033?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
America has higher than average crush events given density and wealth. A lot of venues have insufficient incentive to design better crowd management, and are generally legally protected from liability.

And blaming a crowd of thousands of people is pretty pointless. That’s not how crowds and human minds work?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
hosed. Members of the crowd telling event staff with radio about a death in the crowd, and the answer is basically a confused shrug and no radio call, as the guy returns to his cameraman job.

https://twitter.com/david_leavitt/status/1457017187038908424?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Apparently she had to jump a gate and then scale a ladder to get to him, so it took some real effort on her part to get to that guy to try to get some staff action.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The feud continues.

https://twitter.com/thedewline/status/1457887196246122500?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If we’re talking alien invasion and not encounter with alien(s) in space or “first contact” movies etc, then some good ones in no real order include:

Mars Attacks
Edge of Tomorrow (Live, Die, Repeat)
World’s End
Pacific Rim
Monsters
War of the Worlds
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Before someone loses their mind about The Thing, I kind of categorize it as an encounter/contact more than alien invasion. Same with Predator or any number of movies where the premise is either aliens among us (MIB, They Live), limited alien visit (Arrival), Comic Heroes are Aliens movies (MCU, Superman) or ambiguous movies (a few I won’t spoil).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Shot:

https://twitter.com/cblatts/status/1458072517814460422?s=20

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/cblatts/status/1458085625194811401?s=20

"Your colleages worked for GOP presidents."

"Well, there is no GOP president now! You idiot. You loving moron.

The guy works for U Chicago, so if he doesn't know he has conservative colleagues that's like a fish not knowing it's in water.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I read World War Z on an airplane flight, which is probably the only way I got through it.

I think he had a few decent short stories and then felt compelled to fill it out to be longer via more very bad short stories.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

Battleship absolutely delivered it's promise of Battleships, Explosions, and radness. I mean, they shoot an alien in the face with a 5 inch cannon.

I'll take Battleship over ID4 and Battle for LA any day. And I also love both those films.

Battleship has been on my “should watch” list for years, and maybe this Veteran’s Day it can finally be my dumb fun watch.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Russia’s naval history is: Bad.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/troopsincontact/status/1458584787816386565?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/mobute/status/1458634428067069957?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
CVS Moderna booster experience was very easy. Schedule appt online, no wait in store, only questions asked were insurance card and proof of vaccination before getting the booster.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The boring actuarial answer to safety is usually stuff like don’t be overweight, no smoking or drinking, check for and remove slip, trip, fall hazards at home and work, no opiates without careful medical use, know how to swim and be careful around water, minimize your exposure to automobile travel, do not travel by helicopter, and COVID, lately, etc.

For those who carry a gun or own a gun, yeah, have serious and real thoughts about use force as well as safe storage.

For everyone, guns or no, risk analysis is hard, humans kind of suck at it at the individual level, and it’s probably something boring like cars, falling, work, and home safety that will most likely injure you. And your heart that will get you health-wise.

But also it’s just more terrifying to think about a person committing violence against you than it is to think about falling down your steps or getting in a car wreck, so I understand why people (self included) outsize it in our heads.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bored As gently caress posted:

If you carry a weapon, for work or personal protection, it behooves you to become as proficient as possible with that weapon,

This is kind of an impossible metric. A pilot may carry a sidearm for work, but it matters a whole hell of a lot more that he knows how to do the pilot job than that he be "as proficient as possible" with a sidearm.

Likewise, a beat street cop would be a better asset to the community they serve if they understood de-escalation, had a respect for search/seizure laws, was good at paperwork, drove safely, etc, far before proficiency with a firearm.

Yes, there is absolutely a basic amount of proficiency and safety anyone carrying a firearm should strive for, but there are a lot of people with specialties that matter way, way more than running and gunning and doing force on force simunition training.

People selling weapon training will say you always need more to become mega-proficient, but they are either saying that out of ideology or out of simple business sense. That's how a lot of these people make money!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ASAPI posted:

Legal goons, make me understand.

Judges are mostly weird old cranks. Whenever one is publicized, the public gets to learn how fuckin' weird they are.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/coinerstakingls/status/1459320069884833793?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
First act of the replacement TAG in Oklahoma. BG Mancino is still pending confirmation; MG Thompson reports he found out about his unscheduled replacement via Twitter.

https://twitter.com/DanSnyderFOX25/status/1459260283512406016?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

Out of curiosity has the guard ever been stood up in advance of rioting based on a certain court decision and the dude doesn't walk? Not that people could predict with certainty a jury wouldn't declare a certain verdict, but it seems like an expensive thing to do if you weren't fairly sure

Guard was mobilized for the George Floyd murder case, and Chauvin’s chances were bad, and he was sent to prison.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
drat, more evidence that Biden is anti-medicine. Terrible news, what a betrayal:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1460211182351048704?s=21

Seriously, though, the idea that if someone is effective in developing a fact-ignoring cult of personality, you should just keep them around longer lest their supporters ignore the new leader… lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

For every finger you wag at other people, one can be wagged at you for not voting for somebody better than Biden or Trump.

The huge problem with this line is that it ignores that the US electoral system is set up as a de facto two party system, and there’s only one president. Arguably, back in the mid-20th century, it behaved like a quasi-four party system in the legislature and via presidential primaries, but still was 2-party at the end. Now it is even more lockstep as two parties.

A lot of the above was not what the framers wanted, but the natural result. As their wants and their results were often misaligned, cause people are fallible and predicting the future is hard.

Unless you meant in the primaries? In which case, yes, 48% of people in Dem primaries did NOT vote for Biden. (Some of those votes were for even more conservative people, but still, that’s a significant number!).

If the argument is that democrats should have deliberately let Trump win to teach Biden supporters a retributive lesson via greater GOP control in the hopes that the country would then correct hard left…. Uh, I don’t think there’s good evidence that would result in an Overton moves left scenario. Maybe, but that assumes a lot without evidence, and at great risk.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I may actually vote for Biden again, simply because he actually ended the war and hasn’t as totally rolled over to corporate and military-industrial funded dem agenda as the average D Senator.

This was one of the bigger surprises for me. I could have seen that getting kicked or attempted (probably poorly!) renegotiated with the Taliban or some such, but getting out only a bit behind agreed schedule instead took some political fortitude. Probably even as a political move, cynically works anyway, because already the idea of “let’s still fight in Afghanistan” seems to have died down. I really doubt a major line in 2023/24 is going to be “I will get us back into Afghanistan and never would have left!”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

The expansion of the child tax credit has been really great for me and my family.

Yeah. Absolutely huge for families and kids with objective and measured results re: child poverty. And there’s still more outreach to be done, as a number of people qualify but aren’t claiming the credit for a variety of reasons.

I think this one gets ignored in a lot of very online spaces like left twitter, etc where less people have kids, so the item of recollection there is arguing about a one-time check of $2000 vs $1,400.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ASAPI posted:

Ah yes, the infamous "I was going to hunt" defense.

I get that, technically, a 17 year old can own a "hunting" rifle in WI, but he wasn't from WI, brought the weapon across state lines illegally, and totally was NOT using the weapon for "hunting."

It’s possible this is a weird case where if he was 16 runs afoul of law, but at 17 he’d be in trouble IF he were hunting without permit, but not if just wandering around not hinting so long as the firearm was not an sbr, though it seems this omission was not intentional.

Basically: law maybe written poorly, but even still why is this coming up NOW of all times?

I dunno, I’m no WI lawyer or lawyer at all, and folks are pretty sneaky in highlighting some sections but not others when twitter posting.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here is his Virginia protest thread. I don’t know whether he deliberately snubbed the smaller leftist groups that showed up or if he just saw right wing guys because they were numerically much larger and make for more clicks and audience engagement. Never really knew much about the guy aside from a few episodes of his bastards podcast, but “haha, look at these dumb/bad fuckers” is pretty plainly part of his brand.

He has a couple photos with POC/etc, but his posted audio clips focus on right wing assholes rather than giving leftists a platform. I don’t know whether this is him doing devious political work or if he just prefers a trash fire.

Personally I think the VCDL is a loving crank organization who showed their rear end repeatedly, but others consider them an important enough gun rights ally to refuse to condemn them and their leadership for their transgressions.

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1219229277440237569?s=21

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 15, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’ve been living here for the last few years- VCDL is fascist as gently caress and anyone who works with them should be regarded as either foolish or untrustworthy.

I agree, but "enemy of my enemy" can attract people. So you'll see folks cross that line to join up with VCDL or fund them if they like guns enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Best Friends posted:

Assange is a rapist but they're putting him in jail for doing journalism, not rape.

Well, the Swedish government tried to extradite him for molestation and sexual assault and were succeeding until he claimed asylum in an embassy. He managed to outlast the statute of limitations, right?