Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The only people I’ve seen really mad at robert evans are the insanely online cspam Glen Greenwald fan club types. Yeah it’d be great if he was more critical of his involvement with Bellingcat but to his credit he’s one of the few leftist voices that seems to also be in that niche of mainstream enough to hook liberals and progressives to engage more with actual leftist content.

I feel like most of the criticism besides his connection to Brown Moses is just too online leftist infighting bullshit.

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:piss:

quote:

Ahead of Monday’s closing arguments, Judge Bruce Schroeder ruled Wisconsin’s open carry law is so confusingly written it can be interpreted to mean 17-year-olds can openly carry firearms as long as they’re not short-barrel rifles. He believed the jury could only convict if prosecutors proved the barrel of Rittenhouse’s rifle was less than 16 inches and has an overall length shorter than 26 inches.

The judge’s decision stunned prosecutors, who argued his interpretation of the law does not make sense. Under the judge’s interpretation, it would be illegal for a 17-year-old to carry brass knuckles in Wisconsin but permissible to carry a semi-automatic rifle.
“There’s no ambiguity,” assistant district attorney James Kraus told the judge Friday. “It is very clear that (17-year olds) are not to possess dangerous weapons.”

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Naramyth posted:

Why don’t we like Evans now?

Also apparently a terrible poster here when he was a teenager lol.

A couple QCS regular types actually did try to use that as a reason he should be permabanned now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lol I knew it

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

A couple QCS regular types actually did try to use that as a reason he should be permabanned now.

Apparently they thought this was ResetEra.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I may actually vote for Biden again, simply because he actually ended the war

Same. He's earned my vote for that alone. But I'm a weirdo who votes on foreign policy.

Most people don't vote for that reason though. if you're a regular person on the lower half of the income and wealth distribution, life has probably gotten worse for you in the past year. Your costs are up at the grocery store and pump, your income may be higher but probably still isn't and almost certainly not up as much as prices, and if you were looking forward to any of the good things that economically comfortable upper middle class people told you joe was going to do - well, he hasn't, and isn't planning to anymore if he ever was.

People like me who have worked from home at a white collar job have built up savings. Our lives are actually better this year (and my material interests are going to bias me in that direction - maybe my vote for Biden was going to happen no matter what). I don't think most people in this economic and social position, which includes most vocal online liberals, understand that that's not the average experience.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 15, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Best Friends posted:

Same. He's earned my vote for that alone. But I'm a weirdo who votes on foreign policy.

Most people don't vote for that reason though. if you're a regular person on the lower half of the income and wealth distribution, life has probably gotten worse for you in the past year. Your costs are up at the grocery store and pump, your income may be higher b byut probably still isn't and almost certainly not up as much as prices, and if you were looking forward to any of the good things that economically comfortable upper middle class people told you joe was going to do - well, he hasn't, and isn't planning to anymore if he ever was.

People like me who have worked from home at a white collar job have built up savings. Our lives are actually better this year (and my material interests are going to bias me in that direction - maybe my vote for Biden was going to happen no matter what). I don't think most people in this economic and social position, which includes most vocal online liberals, understand that that's not the average experience.

The expansion of the child tax credit has been really great for me and my family.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

The expansion of the child tax credit has been really great for me and my family.

Same here. That thing is amazing.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think that's the other big good thing he's done. It's set to expire, currently.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

who among us didn’t have terrible teenager posts

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naramyth posted:

Or 20s for that matter.

Best Friends posted:

I think that's the other big good thing he's done. It's set to expire, currently.
I'm hoping they can push that through reconciliation.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah. Absolutely huge for families and kids with objective and measured results re: child poverty. And there’s still more outreach to be done, as a number of people qualify but aren’t claiming the credit for a variety of reasons.

I think this one gets ignored in a lot of very online spaces like left twitter, etc where less people have kids, so the item of recollection there is arguing about a one-time check of $2000 vs $1,400.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Evans was Gunfondler420 right? Did I make that up? Only thing I maybe remember was he was part of the crowd arguing for .22lr as the ultimate apocalypse round back then

It Could Happen Here isn't perfect or the be all end all, but it tried talking about The Issue when no one else did. And it's not like the rifts in American society has been healing at any point since he released it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Or 20s for that matter.

And who here hasn't done a rereg to distance themselves from lovely teen/early 20s edgelord posts... :sigh:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

And who here hasn't done a rereg to distance themselves from lovely teen/early 20s edgelord posts... :sigh:

Man I should have done that vs just a name change. :lol:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The only people I’ve seen really mad at robert evans are the insanely online cspam Glen Greenwald fan club types. Yeah it’d be great if he was more critical of his involvement with Bellingcat but to his credit he’s one of the few leftist voices that seems to also be in that niche of mainstream enough to hook liberals and progressives to engage more with actual leftist content.

I feel like most of the criticism besides his connection to Brown Moses is just too online leftist infighting bullshit.

Wait I'm out of the loop, what did Brown Moses do? I don't doubt something happened but the last thing I recall about him was years ago he'd post a lot about the Middle East and seemed well informed.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I may actually vote for Biden again, simply because he actually ended the war and hasn’t as totally rolled over to corporate and military-industrial funded dem agenda as the average D Senator. The border stuff is horrible but at least for me as horrible it is I have to weight that in context with who the Dems will run if they decide Biden wasn’t centristing hard enough or Trump round 2.

I’m more thinking about in VA where the Dems ran the most motherfucking boring white bread centrist empty suit moderate and are somehow still blaming progressives and the left for getting trounced.

Yeah I'll vote for him but as I'm in WA if the GOP presidential candidate was making the race close enough that my vote mattered in Biden winning the state, Dems would be facing an 84 level red wave.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A modest reminder that we're all dealing with American Voters here:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1459920694532358144

The narrative that holds the most weight with me (unsurprisingly, from Dave Weigel), is that Biden was elected by the "normies" to end the general chaos, kill COVID, be competent, and not run for reelection. His numbers are poo poo because the economy's in weirdosville with insufficient supply for overheated demand, Delta came along (intransigent Republican antivaxxers too), Afghanistan clusterfucked on the way out, and nobody else appears "better" on the Democratic side. So, Donnie's surging back because people are paying $3.50 for a gallon of gas instead of $2.50.

It kind of makes sense with the overheated turnout of 2020-2021 where Republicans still won a lot at the local/state levels. Also how most voters don't give a poo poo about policy and will happily vote based on how things "feel".

It was a good chunk of that CNN report a while back how a family of 6 or whatever bought 12 gallons of milk (????) a week at $3.50, then no commented on a question about if they took advantage of the child tax credits. American voters are psychopaths with a submission fetish and the attention span of a goldfish.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wait I'm out of the loop, what did Brown Moses do? I don't doubt something happened but the last thing I recall about him was years ago he'd post a lot about the Middle East and seemed well informed.
Doesn't the Russian government still hate him for his work on Syria and the airline shoot down that they constantly use their paid trolls (IRAgency and RT) to attack him?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Re: Evans, he supported the coup in Bolivia and supports most of our awful foreign policy generally, despite being an "anarchist." He does this by saying "oh I'm not actually for our against anything here, but" (series of rumors that align entirely with the us state department propaganda campaign here)

Case in point

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1194094729962672128?s=20

He sure wasn't doing this for all the stuff the far right pro coup forces did.

As I recall he was very similar on Syria and libya, one of the guys who's big on the "moderate rebels" and then you look up the groups in question and it's guys with names like The Righteous Sword of Islam who were big friends with al Qaeda.

I see him as much more of a propagandist than a journalist, which isn't necessarily bad, but I see him as a propagandist for the same folks who supported gunning down trade unionists in Central America, invading Iraq, and turning Libya into a mad Max hellhole with open air slave markets.

Edit: I did like it can happen here, which led me to looking up his other work and that led to a giant yikes from me.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 15, 2021

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

:same:

Naramyth posted:

I've been posting on here since I was 17. Honestly the one thing I expected when I was a mod for a few short months is someone would unearth something I said that made mid-thirties me go "Yeah, what the gently caress was I thinking?" but nope.

Not saying I didn't have garbage opinions when I was younger, I did, I just don't know if I ended up posting them anywhere.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
To follow-up on what was posted earlier, it appears that the prosecutor and judge are having a dumb-off in the Rittenhouse trial and the judge was actually right.

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1460294595569405955

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Naramyth posted:

Why don’t we like Evans now?

When there was some virginia gun control thing and a march against it, it was a bunch of chuds, but also a bunch of minorities. And Evans liked to post how it was just a huge chud thing and would only post pictures of them, and none of the gay people protesting it.

So if that's the kind of stuff he does, what else has he covered that he's manipulated to fit a story?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

To follow-up on what was posted earlier, it appears that the prosecutor and judge are having a dumb-off in the Rittenhouse trial and the judge was actually right.

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1460294595569405955

Ah yes, the infamous "I was going to hunt" defense.

I get that, technically, a 17 year old can own a "hunting" rifle in WI, but he wasn't from WI, brought the weapon across state lines illegally, and totally was NOT using the weapon for "hunting."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CainFortea posted:

When there was some virginia gun control thing and a march against it, it was a bunch of chuds, but also a bunch of minorities. And Evans liked to post how it was just a huge chud thing and would only post pictures of them, and none of the gay people protesting it.
So he's a wine-mom/dad suburban facebook liberal is what you're saying. ;)

But yeah I get you and honestly considering how CHUD those things are, that any minorities wanted to still show up, should be the main story.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ASAPI posted:

I get that, technically, a 17 year old can own a "hunting" rifle in WI, but he wasn't from WI, brought the weapon across state lines illegally, and totally was NOT using the weapon for "hunting."

It’s possible this is a weird case where if he was 16 runs afoul of law, but at 17 he’d be in trouble IF he were hunting without permit, but not if just wandering around not hinting so long as the firearm was not an sbr, though it seems this omission was not intentional.

Basically: law maybe written poorly, but even still why is this coming up NOW of all times?

I dunno, I’m no WI lawyer or lawyer at all, and folks are pretty sneaky in highlighting some sections but not others when twitter posting.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So he's a wine-mom/dad suburban facebook liberal is what you're saying. ;)

But yeah I get you and honestly considering how CHUD those things are, that any minorities wanted to still show up, should be the main story.

It wasn't just a handful. But more my point is that he was caught out massaging the story here, so everything he does is now suspect. But some people either don't know about it, or handwave it away because guns are involved.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CainFortea posted:

It wasn't just a handful. But more my point is that he was caught out massaging the story here, so everything he does is now suspect. But some people either don't know about it, or handwave it away because guns are involved.

That seems pretty reasonable (to look at his stuff more closely).

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CainFortea posted:

On the whole Evans seems ok, but I don't pay much attention to his stuff as he seems desperate to convey a grizzled image of a mix of a front line war reporter (I know he has been to the middle east, but he isn't constantly at the fall of Saigon)/Hunter S. Thompson and frequently offers reminders of his hardscrabble upbringing. After a while it gets exhausting and I'm not a fan of the writing style of "high school newspaper editor excited to learn they can say gently caress if teacher isn't in the room."

His twitter also seems to be full of insider feuds with other social media political figures, which was a big reason I bailed on Chapo even if I probably agree with them on 9/10 issues. I never figured out why chapo was fascinated by what baseball AVI twitter man said or why it needed to fill half an episode.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Do you have a link to that? I just skimmed his post history from when he registered (after the Richmond rally, IIRC) to a few months after and I didn't see any posts about that. From what I remember about the Worst Year Ever episode where they talked about it, he did mention that there were leftist/POC/LGBTQI protestors out as well, but let's face it- it was at least 95% chuds out there.

Back in like June, QCS blew up and claimed he was a CIA/State Department cutout because he supported the Libya intervention and worked for Brown Moses. To be fair, I think a lot of people supported the Libya intervention- hell, I used to- and back in like 2011-2014, tons of people liked Brown Moses for the OSINT work he was pioneering and posting in the Middle East thread. The QCS thread felt like a bunch of Extremely Online posters turning SA's Two Minutes Hate onto him for a few dozen pages before it got locked and it flamed out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here is his Virginia protest thread. I don’t know whether he deliberately snubbed the smaller leftist groups that showed up or if he just saw right wing guys because they were numerically much larger and make for more clicks and audience engagement. Never really knew much about the guy aside from a few episodes of his bastards podcast, but “haha, look at these dumb/bad fuckers” is pretty plainly part of his brand.

He has a couple photos with POC/etc, but his posted audio clips focus on right wing assholes rather than giving leftists a platform. I don’t know whether this is him doing devious political work or if he just prefers a trash fire.

Personally I think the VCDL is a loving crank organization who showed their rear end repeatedly, but others consider them an important enough gun rights ally to refuse to condemn them and their leadership for their transgressions.

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1219229277440237569?s=21

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 15, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ASAPI posted:

...but he wasn't from WI, brought the weapon across state lines illegally, and totally was NOT using the weapon for "hunting."

"No, see, a Wisconsin "friend" *lent* him that AR-15 so see, he DIDN'T carry it over state lines and OH HEY while we're on the subject of the legality of crossing borders..."

(seriously, this is the talking point when it comes to his crossing state lines)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 15, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Evans was Gunfondler420 right? Did I make that up? Only thing I maybe remember was he was part of the crowd arguing for .22lr as the ultimate apocalypse round back then

It Could Happen Here isn't perfect or the be all end all, but it tried talking about The Issue when no one else did. And it's not like the rifts in American society has been healing at any point since he released it.

Is even. I think he posts every few months or so in TFR

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ASAPI posted:

Having actually looked at the paragraphs in question, the law isn't about hunting or hunting rifles, but that you can legally possess guns, except short-barrel rifles and shotguns, under the age of 18, if you have a hunting license (from any state), or basic training in the U.S. armed forces, reserves or national guard. This is so you're proven to know how to handle firearms, despite not being of age. Nothing more, nothing less. If that applies to Rittenhouse, which, I assume, they checked, then yeah, the prosecutor shouldn't even have brought the charge.

https://law.justia.com/codes/wisconsin/2013/chapter-948/section-948.60/

quote:

(c) This section applies only to a person under 18 years of age who possesses or is armed with a rifle or a shotgun if the person is in violation of s. 941.28 or is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593.
https://law.justia.com/codes/wisconsin/2014/chapter-941/section-941.28/
Section 29.304 is about ages 16 and younger, so it doesn't apply.
https://law.justia.com/codes/wisconsin/2012/chapter-29/section-29.593/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Has he ever hunted before? Did he have a license to hunt in that state? Did he have tags for whatever was in season?
A rifle is a rifle and should only become a “hunting” rifle when legally doing that activity. This whole case has been bullshit from day one.

So a child can wander around with a AR 300BLK as long as they have a hunters license even if only rats are in season? Cool.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 15, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Do you have a link to that? I just skimmed his post history from when he registered (after the Richmond rally, IIRC) to a few months after and I didn't see any posts about that. From what I remember about the Worst Year Ever episode where they talked about it, he did mention that there were leftist/POC/LGBTQI protestors out as well, but let's face it- it was at least 95% chuds out there.

The only coverage I saw from him about that was on twitter. And i'm frankly loving terrible at finding tweets, so I am unable to help you here. I do remember very clearly people I know in virginia who aren't chuds were mad about how he was clearly not telling the whole story.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Crab Dad posted:

This whole case has been bullshit from day one.

This.

I have a bad feeling Kenosha is going to suck for a good while after this verdict.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’ve been living here for the last few years- VCDL is fascist as gently caress and anyone who works with them should be regarded as either foolish or untrustworthy.

When it comes to Brown Moses it’s more that he had a consistent track record of steering everything in a pro-NATO “we’re like Wikileaks but not Putin shills like those guys” and him celebrating the downfall of Assange and mocking his incarceration is enough that it’s pretty gross and it’s kinda well known that at least Elliot knows who is buttering his bread and acts accordingly.

Evans had some garbage takes but nothing like Elliot Higgins. Same with most people involved less directly in Bellingcat.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’ve been living here for the last few years- VCDL is fascist as gently caress and anyone who works with them should be regarded as either foolish or untrustworthy.

When it comes to Brown Moses it’s more that he had a consistent track record of steering everything in a pro-NATO “we’re like Wikileaks but not Putin shills like those guys” and him celebrating the downfall of Assange and mocking his incarceration is enough that it’s pretty gross and it’s kinda well known that at least Elliot knows who is buttering his bread and acts accordingly.

Evans had some garbage takes but nothing like Elliot Higgins. Same with most people involved less directly in Bellingcat.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that and it was quite funny (the act itself, not the slap fight stuff).

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also to add there have been lefty pro2a groups, including even one that had some goons, that in the past have been around that VA thing but they weren’t there to support the VCDL stuff that was going on. I don’t think any have been back either since it’s basically become even more explicitly far-right.

You may hear about a self described “BLM” group in the area at the stuff too but they’re sketchy as gently caress hotep types, that have nothing to do with any BLM groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I don't think there is anything wrong with that and it was quite funny (the act itself, not the slap fight stuff).

I think it’s deeply disturbing and alarming that the governments of the world are waging a campaign to ruin the life of a journalist for embarrassing them and threatening them with life in ADX Florence for embarrassing them by doing things like exposing war crimes we did in Iraq.

Assange’s personal weirdness and creepiness is irrelevant in this context and it’s has nothing to do with why the 5 eyes countries have dedicated vast resources to just making his life as miserable as possible.

I don’t think it’s funny that our government spent millions on an insane interpretation of the espionage act on someone who wasn’t even a Us national and the attempt to drive a person to suicide if that failed.

It’s a clear message to anyone who really gives the intelligence community a bloody nose.

How the gently caress is that funny?