Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Manchin held a press conference to poo poo on progressives for holding up the infrastructure bill while at the same time saying he's waffling again on the reconciliation bill and wants to cut more out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Reminder that the NYPD, despite the union's bluster, had only 34 officers (32 of which were already retirement eligible) resign rather than get the shot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ASAPI posted:

Does anyone have a source for this other than twitter? I'm not finding any articles... Maybe I'm using the wrong words?

Various goons also received said mailer. It's legit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here's a funny tidbit to the infrastructure bill. The house passed a version that amends section 6050i (which requires banks/business to report person's info to IRS if they pay in more than $10k in cash) to include crypto transactions as well. This means any business in the USA that accepts crypto will have to do full reporting on all transactions in excess of $10k.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I actually misread it at first - it's not crypto transactions in excess of 10k. It's receipt of any digital asset defined as "any digital representation of value which is recorded on a cryptographically secured distributed ledger or any similar technology as specified by the Secretary"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PeterCat posted:

I probably missed some of this chat, but has anyone here gotten the Moderna booster?

I don't quite fall into the age ranged, but my job is in the medical field and I am frequently in close proximity to people who are possibly covid positive and am thinking about getting the booster.

I got it. It wasn’t as bad as shot 2 side effects wise for me. Most people seem to be handling it fine. If you work with the public, get the shot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The fifth circuit just stayed enforcement of OSHA's temporary rule mandating covid vaccines. They did not follow any of the standard rules for granting a stay, and rather just said since the briefs seeking the stay "give us cause to believe there are grave statutory and constitutional issues with the Mandate."

e:
https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1457043916662902785

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1457052180045828096

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 6, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

e: not the GDT what the hell.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Okay this is exceptionally weird, because I was just saying this to my wife. lol But yeah I also figure that that would have scattered and in a weird way Pence wasn't likely as in danger as Mitt Romney, who I fully believe would have been murdered.

They were literally chanting "hang Mike Pence" and had makeshift gallows set up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He was a white guy from a family with money in Missouri. The cops weren't bothering him, ever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If y'all want some outrage: https://twitter.com/EllieRushing/status/1458584800323899395

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Regardless of everything, Lowtax apparently blew through $400k since since he and lady A split deliberately so that she and his kid couldn't get any of it. It was a supremely lovely move before he died. Goons have raised almost $30k so far that's going to be set up for his kids.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Defenestrategy posted:

Out of curiosity has the guard ever been stood up in advance of rioting based on a certain court decision and the dude doesn't walk? Not that people could predict with certainty a jury wouldn't declare a certain verdict, but it seems like an expensive thing to do if you weren't fairly sure

They were staged for Derek Chauvin's verdict.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1460258244413296646

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The JP Morgan/Tesla suit is going to go in JP Morgan's favor. What's sad is that this should be a trivial suit for Tesla to pay - after all they're a trillion dollar company and the suit is for $162m. No company should waste money litigating over a suit that is less than 0.2% of the company's value.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here's the tl:dr; of the lawsuit: JP Morgan has contract with Tesla for a lot of 2021 warrants - that is contracts for shares. The warrants were only valid if the stock went above a certain price, which it is many multiples of. The dispute hinges around Musk's dumbshit going private at $420 tweet. This triggered certain contractual parts of the warrant agreement because it was a material statement regarding a change in ownership. JP Morgan notified Tesla pursuant to the contract, and Tesla said "nuh uh."

When it came time to settle up, Tesla balked at paying out what they owed. As a result, JP Morgan had to go buy 227k shares of Tesla on the open market ($162m worth). Tesla now owes them that money plus attorneys fees.

They had to buy the shares to close out short positions held by other clients. The shorts were sold based upon the contract that Tesla is welching on.

The thing is, they could have easily just given JP Morgan the shares. My guess is Elon refused because it was going to short sellers. I'm pretty sure Tesla is gonna have to pay their bills.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm reading the complaint and holy goddamn christ how stupid do you have to be to sell stock options to someone while also giving them unilateral authority to change the strike price

It's not uncommon at all, and Tesla was desperate for the money so they took whatever they could get.

Tesla has not ever made money selling cars. They lose money hand over fist selling low quality poo poo built in a tent because Musk is an idiot who refused to use existing institutional knowledge to manufacture vehicles. They have only ever made money because of government subsidies and selling carbon credits to polluters. The actual value of the company is literally the liquidated assets as they have no really good IP - if they did, it would be licensed. Tesla has only been able to survive as long as it has because the government props it up and they're able to sell a bunch of shares to idiots who think musk is tony stark any time they're in a cash crunch (like to pay musk).

This lawsuit is a big deal for Tesla because I really do not think they can afford to pay it. They claim in their last quarterly filing to have 16bn cash and cash equivalent on hand, but I'm betting the "equivalent" part is doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In other news, someone in China probably signed his own death warrant as he drove around Xinjiang and filmed from the street all the different "reeducation" facilities.

https://twitter.com/alisonkilling/status/1460243389060952074

There's a video with English subtitles or you can just read through the twitter thread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That was not at all intentional. Laura Ingraham is an idiot. Remember when she seig heiled at the 2016 RNC?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CainFortea posted:

Not mentioned in that quote. "I didn't watch the trial"

Why would he? Did you watch the entire trial? It took a week. It would be ridiculous for the president of the country to take off time to watch a single murder trial.

He also said he’s troubled by what Rittenhouse did. I don’t really know what you expect him to say in this situation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yup. The situation is poo poo. In any state with strong self defense laws, the situation is clear - arm yourself and make sure you draw faster than the other guy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’ve already been told that my life is forfeit if someone pulls a gun while getting beat up in a fight he started. The fact that I was his savior and otherwise a bystander is irrelevant.

Mutual combat is the law of the land in florida. The one that’s left alive is immune to prosecution or civil liability.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We do not have a criminal justice system as there is no justice. We have a criminal legal system.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Proud Christian Mom posted:

insane right wingers go looking for a fight, starting to lose and blasting their way out of it is self-defense you say

This is indeed the law in Florida. If the gunman at my protest had started shooting, he would not have been arrested or charged. I could be dead, he would walk, and there would be zero civil liability as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1462640348044349440

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Seems to be the case.

This was pretty extreme though and is the rare case where from what we know it doesn’t seem like the cops were being cowboys, I didn’t see any police vehicles attempting to follow into the parade area where the crowds were and making it worse and the dude was so totally unconcerned with hitting people that he may as well have been trying.

Police were actively shooting at him. I don't know if that started after he drove through the barricade or before.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cugel the Clever posted:

Got nothing more than a sore arm from either Modena shot. Getting booster this Saturday, hopefully will be the same.

Though I've heard low reaction potentially indicates lower effectiveness?

Nah. It just means your body doesn’t go as nuts as some other people do. The majority of people feel a sore arm. The rest of the side effects vary wildly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bored As gently caress posted:

What the ever loving gently caress is that lunatic saying that poo poo for?

She's hoping that she can get a racist white juror to vote to acquit and hang the jury.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Did a motive get released for the guy who drove the car into the parade yet?

He was fleeing something (potentially an incident with a knife), came to police barricades, drove past them, he starts driving around to find a way through and actively doesn't seem like he's trying to run anyone over. At some point police start shooting at his car and he eventually says gently caress it and guns through a section then hauls rear end away.

It wasn't someone trying to deliberately kill people.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The perp was out on bond for a nasty DV charge and would normally not have been granted release pretrial. However, he was at the limit of his speedy trial rights, and they couldn't get him to trial because covid had everything backlogged. The prosecutors and defense worked out a deal that speedy trial would be waived and he'd get a $1000 bond.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah, I don't know when the cops started shooting or if that's what caused him to run. I just know that's a thing that happened. All of the details aren't out. I don't mean to speculate on that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

People like Gabbard, Glenn Greenwald, Sinema, and Jill Stein are deliberately controlled opposition.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In this case he’s released with a gps ankle bracelet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BTW - GPS monitoring is a cost born by the accused. In FL it can run over $300/mo for the privilege of having some lovely ankle bracelet that has to be plugged in 90% of the time because the batteries are poo poo and if you leave it offline for too long you go back to jail.