Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

wonder what Copmala and Crime Bill Joe have to say about this

https://twitter.com/nycguidovoice/status/1461761790652686342

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

It doesn't matter that most of the white supremacist assholes are cowards. It only takes a couple emboldened enough to start shooting. Things are going to get ugly. Uglier.

:five:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

It doesn't matter that most of the white supremacist assholes are cowards. It only takes a couple emboldened enough to start shooting. Things are going to get ugly. Uglier.

:five:

Yeah, I fully suspect this will be used as justification by Proud Boys and others to get more violent and place themselves in situations where they can kill people.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I fully suspect this will be used as justification by Proud Boys and others to get more violent and place themselves in situations where they can kill people.

Until it inconveniences cops or capital, then they'll realize that the police aren't their friends either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Until it inconveniences cops or capital, then they'll realize that the police aren't their friends either.

It'll get worse before it gets better a lot worse.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wait so one of them actually drew on him and didn't shoot? Jesus christ

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I think this will be a thing from both sides. You’re going to get people trying to bait others into situations where they can shoot them

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

:cripes::hf::cripes:
Now these goddamn right-wing assholes are really going to be emboldened.

This is just an appetizer. The first course comes in the 2022 midterms.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is just an appetizer. The first course comes in the 2022 midterms.

What do you think is going to happen (other than the obvious Dem bloodbath) that will be worse than white supremacists slaughtering people without consequence?

I'm not trying to fight here, but if electoral politics seem more significant to you than actual bullets turning humans into lumps of meat I'm not even sure how to respond.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Loucks posted:

What do you think is going to happen (other than the obvious Dem bloodbath) that will be worse than white supremacists slaughtering people without consequence?

I'm not trying to fight here, but if electoral politics seem more significant to you than actual bullets turning humans into lumps of meat I'm not even sure how to respond.

What'll be worse is when those same "Dems" switch sides simply because they're tired of losing or trying to get on the ground floor before they're locked out. It's going to happen because people have so little nowadays that "being in the tribe that's winning" is something palpable even if it gains you nothing tangible.

Oh, and copycats. Tons of them.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What'll be worse is when those same "Dems" switch sides simply because they're tired of losing or trying to get on the ground floor before they're locked out. It's going to happen because people have so little nowadays that "being in the tribe that's winning" is something palpable even if it gains you nothing tangible.

Just so we're clear, you think some centrists who are already aligned with Republicans on most issues choosing to change the letter after their name from "D" to "R" is worse than the ultraright gunning down people in the street? Did I interpret your post correctly? :wtc:

Honestly I don't think you have a clue how politics works. Dems are happy to lose as long as the cash keeps flowing and the consultant class gets paid. Remind me who chairs the DNC again?

e: got you before the edit.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Depressing but ultimately unsurprising. :sigh:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The most boring part of fretting about Dems losing in 2022: that it always happens that the president’s party gets beaten after the president wins term 1. The one outlier in the last 20-30 years was caused by 9/11.

You can basically just flip the party and year and pre-write the headline after a new president is elected.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

The most boring part of fretting about Dems losing in 2022: that it always happens that the president’s party gets beaten after the president wins term 1. The one outlier in the last 20-30 years was caused by 9/11.

You can basically just flip the party and year and pre-write the headline after a new president is elected.

As always, technically true. Let's wait and see how badly Dems eat it in midterms and then revisit this post in context of other midterm results.

Things are looking much worse than usual for the party in power.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Some of these Jan 6 folks, I dunno…

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1461784879931305993?s=21

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Be safe out there friends. I feel there are more dangerous times ahead because of this verdict and the conduct through the trial, but all I can think about is the affluenza verdict in 2016 and how powerless I feel to stop the tide of fascism.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Loucks posted:

The consequences of the 2022 bloodbath that will precipitate, encourage, and enable more shithead chuds in creating situations that allow them to gun down more people without fear of judicial reprisal?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

The consequences of the 2022 bloodbath that will precipitate, encourage, and enable more shithead chuds in creating situations that allow them to gun down more people without fear of judicial reprisal?

Did you miss the trial we're discussing itt? How do you expect a redder legislature to have that effect when it is already clear that they will not face judicial reprisal, and also how is this vague fear more significant than, again, the actual shootings OP was convinced were secondary to democrats' electoral defeat?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Loucks posted:

Did you miss the trial we're discussing itt? How do you expect a redder legislature to have that effect when it is already clear that they will not face judicial reprisal, and also how is this vague fear more significant than, again, the actual shootings OP was convinced were secondary to democrats' electoral defeat?

Are you just here to try to start an argument with everyone that doesn't express their thoughts on the matter that are perfectly in agreement with yours?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Loucks posted:

Because more dead people is worse you walnut.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Loucks posted:

Just so we're clear, you think some centrists who are already aligned with Republicans on most issues choosing to change the letter after their name from "D" to "R" is worse than the ultraright gunning down people in the street? Did I interpret your post correctly? :wtc:

Honestly I don't think you have a clue how politics works. Dems are happy to lose as long as the cash keeps flowing and the consultant class gets paid. Remind me who chairs the DNC again?

e: got you before the edit.

No, you didn't interpret my post correctly. I'm implying that people who are dyed-in-the-wool pro-choice/pro-LGBTQIA+ leftists are going to start flipping, and that's going to lead to poo poo even worse than the ultraright gunning down people in the streets, because as I said in a previous post that I remember you also not liking, all they need is that 5-10% they don't have right now, whether it comes from the center-rightists or any part of the left doesn't matter. The center-rightists are already gone, and the Libertarians are already buying their MAGA caps at the mere prospect of federally-legal weed.

And no, I'm not a political strategist, but please, don't pretend like *you* are, either. We're at the "gunning people down in the street" phase. Half the country thinks we don't have a legally-elected president. Democrats and Republicans are quaint concepts that are being kept around for appearances. There's only "pro-decency" and "pro-discord" now, and there are already too loving many "Democrats" in the latter camp.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

That Works posted:

Are you just here to try to start an argument with everyone that doesn't express their thoughts on the matter that are perfectly in agreement with yours?

I'm really not. I was just gobsmacked by the "actually electoral defeat for the democrats is worse than people getting shot" take. I'm against people being shot by white supremacists, you see.

Guess I'll go touch grass, or whatever the kids are saying these days.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Loucks posted:

I'm really not. I was just gobsmacked by the "actually electoral defeat for the democrats is worse than people getting shot" take. I'm against people being shot by white supremacists, you see.

Guess I'll go touch grass, or whatever the kids are saying these days.

Maybe start with not interpreting everything as insane bipolar black or white because people aren't in perfect agreement with your interpretation of events?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
With all of these high-profile murder cases, it always surprises me a bit that the killers who get off (legally and otherwise) with murder aren't themselves assassinated. poo poo, George Zimmerman is still roaming around looking for another fight, and how many cops got not much more than paid vacations for their trouble?

Then again most of the people who want "vigilante justice" were rooting for the murderers in the first place.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

The trial for the Denver shooting will be interesting. Aka the Pinkerton Antifa space invader supersoldier assassination of a True American Patriot.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
The reason we're all proper hosed is that it isn't an either-or between electoral defeat or violence. We're already three steps down a repression-violence-authoritarianism cycle, and there's no signs that we're going to get off of that circuit. Protests last year were in response to state violence and led to organized and disorganized sub-state violence including by Rittenhouse. The coming electoral defeat of the dems in 22 is going to let state-level republicans consolidate power and lead to a republican victory in 24 that is going to put more authoritarians in power. Those folks are going to lean into state violence and also look the other way at right-wing sub-state violence. The existence of street violence is then going to be used as proof of malicious actors and reason for more state violence and more validation for conspiracy theories about any dem that wins an election.

These kinds of cycles usually keep ramping up until there's either so much violence against protestors that it kicks off into full-on conflict, or until there's a critical mass of street unrest and it topples the government, or alternately until you end up with an overtly corrupt government that everybody just kind of lives with like Russia. It's really hard to get an offramp of these kinds of cycles and right now the dems aren't meaningfully opposing it while the republicans are actively fueling it.

It's going to be a grim decade.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Proud Christian Mom posted:

wonder what Copmala and Crime Bill Joe have to say about this

https://twitter.com/Kevinliptakcnn/status/1461778760273956865

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Notahippie posted:

The reason we're all proper hosed is that it isn't an either-or between electoral defeat or violence. We're already three steps down a repression-violence-authoritarianism cycle, and there's no signs that we're going to get off of that circuit. Protests last year were in response to state violence and led to organized and disorganized sub-state violence including by Rittenhouse. The coming electoral defeat of the dems in 22 is going to let state-level republicans consolidate power and lead to a republican victory in 24 that is going to put more authoritarians in power. Those folks are going to lean into state violence and also look the other way at right-wing sub-state violence. The existence of street violence is then going to be used as proof of malicious actors and reason for more state violence and more validation for conspiracy theories about any dem that wins an election.

These kinds of cycles usually keep ramping up until there's either so much violence against protestors that it kicks off into full-on conflict, or until there's a critical mass of street unrest and it topples the government, or alternately until you end up with an overtly corrupt government that everybody just kind of lives with like Russia. It's really hard to get an offramp of these kinds of cycles and right now the dems aren't meaningfully opposing it while the republicans are actively fueling it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

The trial for the Denver shooting will be interesting. Aka the Pinkerton Antifa space invader supersoldier assassination of a True American Patriot.

That guy is drawing breath because the cops mistook him for one of their own, until the tape revealed he had excellent weapon handling skills

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Y’all, I know tensions are high right now, but let’s all try to stay civil to one another eye tee tee.

Thread’s about current events, not other posters.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait so one of them actually drew on him and didn't shoot? Jesus christ

The bonus is that per the law, said shooter (the 3rd victim) would be fully justified in killing Rittenhouse at the time. So Rittenhouse would've been justified in killing him at the same time he would've been justified in killing Rittenhouse. Self-defense laws break down into circles made of idiocy when a critical mass of guns in a situation is met.

I felt threatened by you!
*I* felt threatened by *you*!
.... wanna make out
jk *blam blam blam*

In other circular logic news, there will be Supreme Court opinions released on Monday. Could be the Texas abortion law or anything else argued since October.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Not mentioned in that quote. "I didn't watch the trial"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CainFortea posted:

Not mentioned in that quote. "I didn't watch the trial"

Why would he? Did you watch the entire trial? It took a week. It would be ridiculous for the president of the country to take off time to watch a single murder trial.

He also said he’s troubled by what Rittenhouse did. I don’t really know what you expect him to say in this situation.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Why would he? Did you watch the entire trial? It took a week. It would be ridiculous for the president of the country to take off time to watch a single murder trial.

He also said he’s troubled by what Rittenhouse did. I don’t really know what you expect him to say in this situation.

My takeaway was that he didn't follow anything at all about the trial. I mean, I expected him to say exactly this.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1461793598828068876

Twitlibs make a solid point about "always have to include property, don't you?", but it's all hosed and there's not a correct thing to say when the underlying event is wrong.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yup. The situation is poo poo. In any state with strong self defense laws, the situation is clear - arm yourself and make sure you draw faster than the other guy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’ve already been told that my life is forfeit if someone pulls a gun while getting beat up in a fight he started. The fact that I was his savior and otherwise a bystander is irrelevant.

Mutual combat is the law of the land in florida. The one that’s left alive is immune to prosecution or civil liability.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

Notahippie posted:

Well, the US version of the Years of Lead is definitely going to be much more stupid and tacky than the Italian one, I think that we can all agree on that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

As Nero Danced posted:

Then again most of the people who want "vigilante justice" were rooting for the murderers in the first place.

This is exactly it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My favorite current hot take is that’s it’s ok because one of the dead guys is a pedophile.

You know because he totally knew that before he killed him.

Like he had pedo radar.

But game recognizes game so maybe Rittenhouse was just icing competition.

Whatever.