Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I'm not sure whoever built the A167 had good intentions, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Don't forget spite

Love a bit of spite

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

I hear Steve Bruce is available

Seems a bit too ambitious for a club like Newcastle

I'd imagine he'll want to hold out for a big job like a Forest or a Forest Green

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

put out the call, lads

a zidane or a stevebruce

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Warnock is 73, think he might just be done now

As long as there's a pass being played along the ground, or a winger without stud-marks on both calves, Colin will remain in perpetuity

like a metronome that beats between "gently caress" and "off"

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

peanut- posted:

What members of the English football commentariat do you imagine would be upset about a 1990s Man Utd player succeeding? Most of them were his teammates.

Robbie Savage, Danny Murphy, and other people who troll good footballers because they got nutmegged eight times a game in training and had to eat with Neil Mellor

Souness and Keane are increasingly turning into Statler and Waldorf, but at least they can say that they have the background to justify it

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

TheRat posted:

Apparently Warnock blames Ferguson for one of his relegations because Man Utd lost a game in the last round of the season or something like that

that alone should push Ferguson up at least three places

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Weaponized Cum posted:

BREAKING: Premier League doing a minute's silence due to Lowtax's death. More to come.

rip lowtax, you would have loved watching chelsea get beat

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sebzilla posted:

There must be enough football in enough countries around the world that a 24/7 football channel would be possible.

Just cut straight from one game to the next forever.

I'm pretty sure Bet365 had something similar on their website, for people who need to bet on something at 4am and the Nepali Third Division is as good as any

Whether that's a good thing or a dystopic portrait of yet another new hell, who can say

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

i bet you ten quid you can't quit right now and get a job at tescos instead

ideally in the warehouse because there's gently caress all at my local one

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

the modern equivalent of the pools is putting on a £2 acca every weekend

which is kind of like the lottery in that on one hand it's objectively pissing money down the drain, even compared to gambling on a single match, but it's also not something that's going to end with you joining the french foreign legion so if it gives you £2 worth of fun then que sera sera

FullLeatherJacket fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 14, 2021

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

haralabos voulgaris

rowling got cancelled, son

these days if you say haralabos voulgaris they arrest you and put you in jail

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Jose posted:

i hope the saudis spend a billion on poo poo playuers in january

i hope they sign adebayor and then every time they play a through ball he just looks at the bench and rubs his fingers together rather than chase it

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

belgend posted:

Sorry this is the English premier league

north macedonia is english premier league clay

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

gafferchat:

I would be up for Zidane, definitely, and not just because I can post the loving song everywhere. He's definitely a gamble in some respects, but so is anyone other than the same eight Italians and Dutchmen who rotate through every job in Europe.

And yeah, I'd genuinely like to see Graham Potter get a shot at a big job, although he probably needs something in between. I'd personally be happy with him, but I doubt anyone who thinks it's cool and good to text their opinions to Manish on the BBC web feed would agree with us signing someone who's never won a trophy if you rule out trophies where you get a builders hat as a prize.

Rodgers should be a no-go, I've said before that I think he's a good manager for getting a group of decentish players to go out and run abaht a bit in a way that nobody really notices when you lose 3-0 at home to Chelsea as long as you're consistently getting results elsewhere (see: Moyes, David), but he came unstuck at Liverpool and I doubt it would be a better fit the second time around.

I would also take Big Steve Bruce until the end of the season because it will upset Newcastle fans, and that's 90% of what I'm looking for from a football weekend at this point

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Andoman posted:

How funny would it be if Newcastle were relegated and Bruce went on to win something with Man U

i have not discussed or agreed this with jeffrey or sex ghost, but we would definitely all get funny gang tags of brucie sprinting onto the pitch and if you don't you can legally sue them both

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I would be entirely onboard for Roy Keane as long it's all being filmed for Netflix

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Was Gallas captain when he sat down and had a big sulk?

he was in fact Arsenal captain at that point, yes

he later lost the captaincy after saying that his teammates were poo poo bottlers, which was true, and then went to play for Spurs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7739830.stm

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

He was originally only going to be a caretaker after Mourinho left, and then he won something like twelve games on the bounce and it was impossible at that point to not give him a permanent contract

How much of that was his tactical nous that people have now sussed out, and how much of that was Luke Shaw deciding that he wanted to win a Ballon d'Or powered by pure spite like he's in a Van Damme movie, I guess we'll have to wait for the books

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Yeah, if just for the fact that Solskjaer tried to make United play more like they did in the Ferguson years, even if they were inconsistent in doing it, he'll likely be remembered more fondly than managers who spent a billion pounds on 30-somethings to have 30% possession against Sunderland.

I would hope that like Lampard at Chelsea, he's left most of the pieces in place for someone to come in and build on, rather than yet another manager who wants to rebuild the entire club in his image and then leaves after two years.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

as a side note, as someone who has five tedious jokes that were driven into the ground within the first six months of the internet, but that I at least have the dignity to rotate through, I will happily vote for any politician who will make the trains run on time grind anyone who texts a major media outlet "this is a terrible decision... FoR a ChElSeA fAn!!" into a fine paste

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

mila kunis posted:

Ole's sacking is terrible news....for Chelsea :D :D

my rage is immeasurable and my day is ruined

you won't get the full BBC experience though unless four other people quote you and then repeat the same joke almost word-for-word

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Sheringham/Cole co-managers imo

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

gafferumours:

- Zinedine Zidane does not want to be manager and is waiting for the France job to open up

- Mauricio Pochettino does want to be manager to the extent that he may immediately resign from a job where he's managing Messi and Neymar in order to manage Harry Maguire

- Steve Bruce, who definitely retired last month because the Newcastle job was too demanding, would apparently take the United job if it was offered, and thinks he'd do well at it

this is where I need someone to stop me and explain, Father Dougal-style, the difference between things that I want to happen because they are objectively good ideas and things that I want to happen because they are quite funny

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

tbh I think Woodward was a shorthand for "not having a clear operating structure or long-term transfer strategy", rather than Suit Man Bad

I don't actually give a poo poo whether he stays or goes as long as he sticks to signing important potato deals rather than trying to bring in Garrincha to play at left-back

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I'm pretty sure his thing at PSG is that he just has various marquee players thrust upon him, except not in a Shakespearian way

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Pogba is almost certainly gone at the end of the year, if not before.

It's somewhat annoying, as I'm pretty sure his style will absolutely suit Spanish football and he'll look like a golden god spraying 60-yard passes around against Grenada, but he gets crowded out of PL games far too often to justify an annual contract argument with Raiola.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

Feel like Sanchez or maybe Torres are right in the middle of the poo poo signing Venn diagram where the three sectors are cost, expectations and performance ahead of signings like Carroll where he cost a lot, but nobody expected anything of him and he ended up just sort of chugging along

see, now what you've done there is you've created a model where signing a genuinely good player who ends up not adapting to the team/manager/country is considered an objectively worse decision than spending the majority of the money you got for Fernando Torres on a big lad from Newcastle who had scored fourteen top-flight goals in his entire career to that point

and that's wrong, that is

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I would also like to remind people of the time that Newcastle paid £18m and had a stadium unveiling for Michael Owen, back when that was all of the money, and he made 11 appearances before The Incident Featuring The Death Of Michael Owen

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

I know it's not as glamorous or exciting as Pauly Poggers but surely the worst transfer has to be one of those where a club spends several million pounds on a player who turns out to be just Some Guy, like Bebe or Savio

ideally they should also have somehow scored 50 goals the previous year in the Eredivisie, despite having little or no understanding of the game of football even through the osmosis of being on the field as the game of football is being played

if you ever get sad at night that you can't achieve your dream, remember that Afonso Alves cost nearly £20m

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

now I'm remembering the time that Charlie Adam managed to score from the halfway line, and MOTD celebrated this by showing a compilation of Charlie Adam repeatedly giving away possession by wildly lumping it from 50 yards multiple times a season, most of which had Carragher in shot visibly calling him a prick

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

was that the year where he came on for Spain then almost immediately blew out his hamstring, but since they didn't have any more subs and were in extra time, they just played around him while he was laid face down on the pitch?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

Holden Midd-Fielder has definitely come off the bench for arsenal in the league cup at least once

they already have Rob Holding

technically I think he's a defender but I assume that's just because Arteta doesn't know poo poo about gently caress

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Now I'm remembering Jose Antonio Reyes costing £20m in 2003 money and then giving an interview in Spanish that everyone at Arsenal was too gay and getting swapped for Julio Baptista, who was also shite

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

EC10 posted:

i dont remember him standing out in 2018 at all either. kante, matuidi, and mbappe did though.

yeah, he just has the one goal in a world cup final

a garbageman; a fraud; stealing a living

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

hey gigi

what's italian for "it's"

also "lads"

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Gigi Galli posted:

Ragą, č Tottenham

:discourse:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

I'm sure there were a lot of PL teams that were happy for Ole to stick around.

sounds like appointing rangnick is a terrible idea... for a chelsea fan

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

quote that in three months when pogba is on hunger strike because he can't put christmas lights in his hair and we're playing hannibal mejri at left back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

You know Christmas is in a month yeah?

it would be pretty gauche to wear christmas lights *at* christmas