Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

The way to think of the Senate is that it's America's House Of Lords, it exists to ensure a small coterie of inbred elites can stop the popular government from doing anything that infringes too much on the power of said elites.

Used to be even more like that because senators were originally just appointed by local elites and could not be voted out. The answer to the question "why don't democrats change the rules" is that they are the elites, the rules exist to protect them, and they all go to the same boat parties and country clubs as Ted Cruz so even if he is annoying them ultimately they are on the same side and in their eyes it's a lesser evil for him to abuse the rules than to change them and undermine the "but the ruuuuuules" excuse they hide behind every time they renege on a campaign promise.

Yeah, the sort of people who angle to make a career out of politics are not the sort of people who would ever vote to give themselves less power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Old James posted:

And just another rule the Democrats could change with a simple majority vote, but won't for reasons.

Unanimous consent rules are in kind of a weird position.

In 1914, the Senate adopted new rules requiring unanimous consent or cloture for votes and passed a resolution that those rules could only be changed by unanimous consent.

Nobody has ever actually challenged or tested that out and it isn't clear if or how anyone could enforce those rules if they decided to try and change them with 51 votes.

Some of the other crazy parts of Senate procedure are part of article one in the Constitution and you'd need an amendment to change them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There is no way to challenge senate rules, the constitution is clear that each house sets its own rules by majority vote, there'd be nowhere to go to try to enforce a rule that says you need unanimous consent to change the rule.

The courts would refuse to hear the case based on separation of powers for the same reason that you couldn't enforce, say, a tax law that says going forward you need a unanimous vote to raise taxes.

The people arguing that you should be able to enforce rules adopted by majority vote that cannot be changed without future supermajorities do not know what they are arguing for. They think they are protecting Democrats from criticism on the Internet but in reality they are trying to create a tool that Republicans could use to basically outlaw liberal legislation forever.

Or maybe they do know what they are doing idk.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dr. Oz's official campaign site is up.

His platform is... pretty slim. He is apparently going to try and be a blank slate.

Probably not the worst plan, honestly.

quote:

RESPONSE TO COVID-19

Dr. Oz is a world-class heart surgeon who holds numerous patents and has written hundreds of original peer reviewed publications. He knows the truth, the data, and the science about combatting COVID and understands how it really affects you and your family. While elites with yards tell those without yards to stay inside (where the virus was waiting) and mask up, Dr. Oz has been putting his expertise to work on behalf of us. Dr. Oz is opposed to prolonged business shutdowns, and he believes it is critical to keep our children in school because the science overwhelmingly supports it.

quote:

FIX HEALTHCARE

As a doctor, Oz has seen the inside of the massive health-care industrial complex and knows how they work with lobbyists and powerful special interests to protect it. He’ll expand access to private sector plans expanded by President Trump and beloved by seniors for their low costs and high quality that could be available to all Americans who want them.

quote:

GROW OUR ECONOMY

President Biden’s reckless spending has led to inflation – increasing the price of everything from gas to groceries. His shutdowns and failed economic policies have
disrupted our supply chains. And his reluctance to fully confront China and support energy independence has left us in a weak position. Dr. Oz believes that restoring America’s economy begins by focusing on the problems we face here at home – and reversing Biden’s failed agenda.

quote:

RESTORE OUR FAITH

Dr. Oz has given back – he founded HealthCorps which provides health education and mentoring to underserved communities. Unlike politicians who talk a big game about helping our communities and restoring the “middle layers” of society – Dr. Oz has spent his life doing his part to serve his country. Dr. Oz also believes that we need to expand the role of religious institutions, non-profits, and community groups in providing support for stronger families and neighborhoods. That’s how we combat our underlying emotional sickness that leads to Opioid addiction and isolation.

quote:

STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

Dr. Oz believes that one of the core responsibilities of the federal government is to protect you. In order to do that, we need to have a secure border with a barrier – whether that is a physical wall or one patrolled by technological advances.

That is literally his entire policy and issues platform.

I'm not sure if "one patrolled by technological advances" means bipedal machines or literally we have to wait for advances in technology before we can secure the border.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 30, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm not sure if "one patrolled by technological advances" means bipedal machines or literally we have to wait for advances in technology before we can secure the border.
Pandering to the people who just want motion activated machine guns every 6 feet spraying lead at anything that moves within 1000 yards of the border

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

VitalSigns posted:

The way to think of the Senate is that it's America's House Of Lords, it exists to ensure a small coterie of inbred elites can stop the popular government from doing anything that infringes too much on the power of said elites.

Used to be even more like that because senators were originally just appointed by local elites and could not be voted out. The answer to the question "why don't democrats change the rules" is that they are the elites, the rules exist to protect them, and they all go to the same boat parties and country clubs as Ted Cruz so even if he is annoying them ultimately they are on the same side and in their eyes it's a lesser evil for him to abuse the rules than to change them and undermine the "but the ruuuuuules" excuse they hide behind every time they renege on a campaign promise.

Not so different from the Victorian era when various autocrats would try to make lovely compromises to undermine demands for more democracy by allowing an elected lower house but then appointing an upper house of aristocrats to veto everything and be loyal to the monarchies.

I think the only thing that has changed is that America became a pay to play society from day 1 of the revolution while in Europe your social standing was determined more by bloodlines and heritage. I mean there was a time you could arbitrarily scoop up cheap land, and with enough people or slaves, work it into a productive asset that made you rich. Now the avenues to which you can acquire wealth have mostly diminished to trading time for money. The problem is you never get enough money to participate in the "pay to play" society we've created so only inheritances and generational wealth can push you past those initial hurdles to where your hard work actually generates cash, assets and success. Now we are re-creating the same problems as a monarchy... consider this:

With property values skyrocketing the way they have- how is that any different from a landed gentry hoarding massive estates that peasants aren't allowed to use without stiff rents and signorial dues? We only need property for residential applications nowadays but to have it we are either enslaved into unpayable debts or forced to pay rent to someone who was lucky enough to scoop the property up when it was cheap. It's not so different from when your family traces its heritage back to some barbarian raiders who stole some roman territory and built a castle on it and are now a part of a noble heritage dating back who knows when. You concentrate enough wealth, land and assets across multiple generations and eventually you'll be so big nobody can touch you. These senators? They are contacts in the cellphones of some of the wealthiest and most powerful people in their respective states. When these people call, the senators answer directly and they meet with these people directly or indirectly. They do what they are told because their political fortunes depend on the patronage of these wealth families. That is how this system works.

That's fundamentally the problem here. Most of us would happily buy into the capitalist system if it actually rewarded the lower classes for their efforts. It all went wrong when the wealthy seized the system and re-created a defacto feudal system that makes it nigh impossible to have the money to do anything. Your social, political and economic privileges are directly correlated to how much wealth you have and now there's structural barriers to getting enough to have a voice in the system. Unlike the monarchies of old though this system is almost laser optimized to prevent a critical mass of dissent that could level the playing field.

The military for example provides a lot of the benefits via the GI bill that every American should be legally entitled to. If you're from some remote rural region where your only job prospect is to be a poor farm hand, a priest or a truck driver, you can't afford to go to university etc. Then your only way up is with the GI bill in a lot of cases. It's why some states have entire family dynasties of military service dating back to WW2. If your family is from suburban Los Angeles, chances are they have the money to put you through college or at least give you a place to live rent-free until you finish college. Your risks aren't as front loaded and already that gives you a massive advantage.

But back to my original point - The system as it exists today is an optimized system of oppression where urban liberal middle classes are placated with cheap consumer goods and entertainment while the military gets benefits like the GI bill. Anyone who's anyone that could potentially change things in America by force is placated in some way that gives them something to lose. They get just enough that fighting for a better world "Isn't worth it" unless you're a hardcore ideologue. That leaves maybe 30-40 million people who are either physically unfit to serve or unwilling to serve that live in crushing poverty. With everyone else placated it because super easy to just use the legal system and state sanctioned violence to suppress these groups and keep them from ever giving you the critical mass you need to change things.

From top to bottom the system is impenetrable and will remain so until climate change upsets the balance enough to cause large enough groups to change sides.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Pandering to the people who just want motion activated machine guns every 6 feet spraying lead at anything that moves within 1000 yards of the border

Come on, don't be ridiculous.

They want to be able to shoot the guns themselves.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dr. Oz already has his first campaign "scandal."

He said in his announcement video that he "lives, votes, and loves" Pennsylvania.

But, he has lived in a New Jersey suburb and commuted to Manhattan for his entire adult life. He just changed his address to Pennsylvania last year and has only ever voted in the 2020 election in Pennsylvania.

https://twitter.com/PascrellforNJ/status/1465771237574156289

A Fetterman vs. Oz race would be a really weird flip where the rich, immigrant, Muslim, Harvard-educated, New York City dwelling, person of color is the Republican and the Democrat is the white former small business owner and small town Mayor.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Dr. Oz already has his first campaign "scandal."

He said in his announcement video that he "lives, votes, and loves" Pennsylvania.

But, he has lived in a New Jersey suburb and commuted to Manhattan for his entire adult life. He just changed his address to Pennsylvania last year and has only ever voted in the 2020 election in Pennsylvania.

https://twitter.com/PascrellforNJ/status/1465771237574156289

A Fetterman vs. Oz race would be a really weird flip where the rich, immigrant, Muslim, Harvard-educated, New York City dwelling, person of color is the Republican and the Democrat is the white former small business owner and small town Mayor.

Gotta be a weird time for all those white dudes tweeting “Vote like a black woman!” when you consider the Oprah factor in this race

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

Gotta be a weird time for all those white dudes tweeting “Vote like a black woman!” when you consider the Oprah factor in this race

Oz put out an editorial about "why I'm running for Senate" that only waits about 60 words to mention Oprah.

His pitch is basically:

- "I'm a doctor and we don't need more masks and lockdowns."
- Lots of generic self-help language about spirituality and coming together.
- Oprah.
- My parents immigrated the right way and we need to stop people from doing it the wrong way.
- Elites are bad and I will not let them tell you what to do or how to raise your kids.

It's not the worst pitch ever for a Senate race in a purple state. Honestly not sure if he will be a better candidate than the wife/child abuser was before it came out that he was a wife/child abuser.

I do notice the suspicious use of "our faith" and mentions that he donates to Christian charities, but nothing about being a Muslim or his belief in mysticism/transcendental meditation.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/courage-strength-optimism/why-im-running-to-be-a-senator-from-pennsylvania

quote:

Why I'm running to be a senator from Pennsylvania

We are angry at our government and at each other.

We have not managed our crises as effectively as past generations. During the pandemic, I learned that when you mix politics and medicine, you get politics instead of solutions. That’s why I am running for the U.S. Senate: to help fix the problems and to help us heal.

Growing up as the child of immigrants, I witnessed my family’s sacrifices. My father grew up dirt poor (literally sleeping on a dirt floor) and loved this country as much as anyone already here. He saw the deep darkness of the alternatives. He taught me to study hard, enjoy the dignity of work, and serve others. My formative years were spent preparing for a lifetime of challenging operations.

I invented life-saving devices, trained young surgeons to save lives, and expected my days to be measured by countless people helped. But many patients came too late without appreciating their power to prevent chronic disease. I started changing this reality by leaving the safety of my medical practice to become the health expert on The Oprah Winfrey Show and, ultimately, the host of my own TV program. My training positioned me to make difficult decisions to help people in need and fight to empower my viewers.

The reality of our challenges has crystallized during the pandemic. Over 750,000 in the United States have died from the virus, a devastating toll for families and communities. Many of those deaths were preventable. COVID-19 became an excuse for the government and elite thinkers who controlled the means of communication to suspend debate. Dissenting opinions from leading scholars were ridiculed and canceled so their ideas could not be disseminated.

Instead, the government mandated policies that caused unnecessary suffering. The public was patronized and misled instead of empowered. We were told to lock down quietly and let those in charge take care of the rest. When we tested positive for the virus, we were also told to wait at home until our lips turned blue and we got sick enough to warrant hospitalization. To be clear, this is not a typical medical protocol. Elites with yards told those without yards to stay inside, where the virus was more likely to spread. And the arrogant, closed-minded people in charge closed our parks, shuttered our schools, shut down our businesses, and took away our freedom.

America should have been the world leader on how to beat the pandemic. Although we had some moments of brilliance, such as the gift to the world of mRNA vaccines made possible by President Donald Trump’s Operation Warp Speed, many great ideas were squashed. That’s not the America my parents came to. That’s not the one I grew up in. That’s not the one I want to leave behind.

Equally concerning, we cannot even say what we see anymore, which is a suffocating feeling. Doctors are trained to tell it like it is because you deserve to hear our best advice and make your own decisions. It’s why I have fought the establishment my whole career. In this emergency, we needed capable leaders ready to act. We didn’t get that. Sometimes, in medical emergencies, we will need to operate with swift and decisive action. Sometimes, we can use less invasive medications to correct course. Sometimes, we will use preventive health to stop problems from even emerging in the first place. We need to use all of our tools and tactics to get the job done in society, too.

We must confront those who want to change the very soul of America and reimagine it with their toxic ideology. We need to fight for the benefit of our descendants. We have fumbled the baton we’re supposed to pass to our children. And I want to pick up that baton and start racing toward our promising future.

I’m running for the Senate to empower you to control your destiny, to reinvigorate our great nation, and to reignite the divine spark that we should always be seeing in each other.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

White
Doctor
Tv star

Well he's a republicans wet dream.

Oh and Bates migrants.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Reset the clock!

https://mobile.twitter.com/ajplus/status/1465777258631737349

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oh drat that's the neighboring town to where I grew up. Hell I almost worked there at some point.

This country is garbage, and our response to COVID and this proves it more than anything else

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

LSU is a public school that takes in about $135 million per year.

$95 million is 20% of their entire current endowment.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1465684552521822218

Sanguinia posted:

College sports is a plague.

yep.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's even worse now. That chart is from 2013.

In 2020, it went from 8 states where a non-coach was the highest paid to 2.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
and still the country is full of fat fucks.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

- Elites are bad

loving love this country

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

LSU is a public school that takes in about $135 million per year.

According to the financial statements at lsu.edu, you are low by an order of magnitude. e: guessing that's a figure for how much they take in in public funds from the state only.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 30, 2021

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

but you see, paying the football coach ten million a year draws fans so the school can use that extra money to benefit the student experience in a way besides raising tuition!

oh.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Oprah has done incalculable harm to the world.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Elites are bad says the Harvard-educated Columbia professor and television host worth 100 million dollars.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Reading Doctor Oz's full manifesto: going pro-vax and also covid conspiracy theories is an interesting choice. Seems like the best way to piss off absolutely everyone.

Did anyone try to get his gun away from him because then it's self defense

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

eviltastic posted:

According to the financial statements at lsu.edu, you are low by an order of magnitude.

Sorry, should have been more specific. The first figure is how much LSU's sports program takes in annually.

The second figure is the entire University's endowment (~$545 million).

VitalSigns posted:

Reading Doctor Oz's full manifesto: going pro-vax and also covid conspiracy theories is an interesting choice. Seems like the best way to piss off absolutely everyone.

To be fair, he isn't going explicitly anti-vax. He says that vaccines (brought to us by President Trump's wisdom) are good, but that people shouldn't be forced to take them.

He is anti-everything else related to covid.

Also, kind of funny that he never mentions Pennsylvania once, never mentions his connection to PA, and never mentions a single PA-specific issue.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 30, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Elites are bad says the Harvard-educated Columbia professor and television host worth 100 million dollars.

Chuds don't care about the Elites/ Noble Capitalist Lords who agree with them: they won't even blink at this

They worship a guy with an actual gold toilet seat

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Craig K posted:

but you see, paying the football coach ten million a year draws fans so the school can use that extra money to benefit the student experience in a way besides raising tuition!

oh.

The astronomical rising costs of tuition at these schools are the result of the student loan system wanting to keep kids in debt with interest payments for most of their adult lives. Not football coaches or their programs. That’s just the recruiting tool for potential students who would never even step foot on an athletic field or court. Maybe they’ll get to use the athletic center, nah already booked by the teams.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Dr. Oz is tv personality that people think is smart, but peddles bogus products and grifts his followers....oh

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

To be fair, he isn't going explicitly anti-vax. He says that vaccines (brought to us by President Trump's wisdom) are good, but that people shouldn't be forced to take them.

He is anti-everything else related to covid.
Yeah that's my point: I said he's going PRO-vax (pisses off the chuds) and anti everything else (pisses off pretty much everyone else).

I don't get the angle. Who's asking for that. That's the position that got Trump booed at his own rally.

Just say the vaccine is a quantum microchip if you're pandering to the snake oil marks

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dpulex posted:

Dr. Oz is tv personality that people think is smart, but peddles bogus products and grifts his followers....oh

i guess we're fortunate he's only running for senate

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My understanding is that college sports programs are at best revenue-neutral on average, since the NCAA is nominally a non-profit with questionable accounting, but then most of the expenses support scholarships and facilities and other things that don't benefit anyone besides the (unpaid) athletes. However, college administrators still want them because they also compel alumni to donate later on (whether they were themselves athletes or just Big Fans). Granted, if they're endowing the sports programs directly, then uhh they're still not really doing the school at large any good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah that's my point: I said he's going PRO-vax (pisses off the chuds) and anti everything else (pisses off pretty much everyone else).

I don't get the angle. Who's asking for that. That's the position that got Trump booed at his own rally.

Just say the vaccine is a quantum microchip if you're pandering to the snake oil marks

Oops, yeah. I misread that as anti-both.

Unfortunately, he's probably reading the room correctly. Pro-vax and anti-lockdowns are both majority positions.

The anti-mask stuff isnt a majority position, but it is couched as "elites" making you do things, so he can go with that angle.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Unfortunately, he's probably reading the room correctly. Pro-vax and anti-lockdowns are both majority positions.

The anti-mask stuff isnt a majority position, but it is couched as "elites" making you do things, so he can go with that angle.

It amazes me how well Republican millionares can play the "elite" card and not be called out. Just absolutely stunning really how terrible the general and academic literacy of the population in this country is.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Anti-lockdown" may be a majority position depending on how you define that but "anti-every mandate" is certainly not.

For example being anti mandating vaccines is not a majority position (60% strongly or somewhat approve of Biden's workplace vaccine mandates)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

It amazes me how well Republican millionares can play the "elite" card and not be called out. Just absolutely stunning really how terrible the general and academic literacy of the population in this country is.

Which Democrat has the standing to do this who doesn’t also meet the qualifications?

I gotta be honest, after the last 20 years I am anti-elitist too. Seems dumb for Dems to not find an angle on this. Fuckin experts are usually just experts on why nothing good can happen or shouldn’t.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Angry Bum posted:

The astronomical rising costs of tuition at these schools are the result of the student loan system wanting to keep kids in debt with interest payments for most of their adult lives. Not football coaches or their programs. That’s just the recruiting tool for potential students who would never even step foot on an athletic field or court. Maybe they’ll get to use the athletic center, nah already booked by the teams.

I think it would be more appropriate to say that the student loan system allowed states to massively cut their public postsecondary education funding, and raise tuition a whole bunch instead. Education didn't magically become more expensive as a result of the student loan program, except in the costs of debt service to the student.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

TulliusCicero posted:

It amazes me how well Republican millionares can play the "elite" card and not be called out.
When has calling out Republicans’ hypocrisy ever worked? They don’t care.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Republicans use it to evoke a social class, not an economic class

Like there's lots of obvious overlap but they don't mean the same thing a Sanders would mean

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

selec posted:

Which Democrat has the standing to do this who doesn’t also meet the qualifications?

I gotta be honest, after the last 20 years I am anti-elitist too. Seems dumb for Dems to not find an angle on this. Fuckin experts are usually just experts on why nothing good can happen or shouldn’t.

I'd say Fetterman if it was actually about like, Martha's Vineyard style elitism and not just a stand-in for ingroup/outgroup things

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Most voters don't really care about hypocrisy and heck, most of the time that dems try to call hypocrisy out they do it in such a pathetic way they wind up embarrassing themselves in the process.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

2? Where are you getting your data from (legitimate question)? I'm only finding sources that still list:

Alaska
Delaware
Maine
Massachusetts
Montana
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Vermont

I know MA the best, living there. The Chancellor of the Medical school is at $1.1 million per year, and I know for a fact that both the men's football and men's basketball coaches are less than a million per year. Also relevant in MA, the hockey coach is less than a million.

I just googled each state individually and saw that URI and UVM both have basketball coaches as their top now. The rest listed other people.

Sax Mortar fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Much like every other time US conservatives claim to be mad about something, they're not really talking about "elites" when they say "elites".