Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Means testing is a hell of a thing to be put through. Every time the democrats means test aid - whether by some arbitrary poverty cap based on 1950's economic data or one's desire or ability to have a child, they leave a struggling person behind. Every time the democrats leave struggling people behind, some nonzero portion of those people swear off the democrats.

They'd rather a hundred people starve than a single person get a free meal they don't "deserve". It sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Okay, so the article can be safely thrown away and he's safe. Cool...the article is mostly just quotes and not even much editorializing. So are those quotes wrong? Since apparently it matters so much CBS news was reporting the same thing like a week or two ago, that the debate comments really struck a nerve and motivated parents.

Heck, iirc within the past month or so education suddenly spiked in the polls as the #1 issue voters in Virginia are concerned about.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

In this race a vote for Blanding is a vote for the GOP.

Absolutely not and this logic is stupid as gently caress.

RBA Starblade posted:

I was about to laugh at you for voting "LP" but I didn't realize that she's actually not a libertarian candidate

Yeah I made that mistake when I first saw that too haha.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AhhYes posted:

I honestly don't understand this. In a close race, a leftist voting for a candidate that has no chance of winning only increases the odds of the conservative winning. How is that stupid?

This assumes that the person was gonna vote for the specific democrat in question if there were no other options instead of staying home or leaving that entry blank (Don't wanna put words in that particular poster's mouth so I will just say that personally that is my experience when talking to people who have voted third party).

Meatball posted:

This will be their takeaway if the dem wins, but not in massive numbers.

Honestly, it's likely to be their takeaway no matter what - the democrats took full control of the federal government in 2020 and blamed progressive policy because they could have won more.

Yea, if they somehow win in a landslide then their takeaway will be that they don't need progressives to vote for them because their support is that broad.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

Does the GOP give libertarians as much poo poo? I feel like libertarians cost republicans elections all the time.

While it is a bit besides the point being argued, I do think it should be noted that the libertarian party usually gets more votes than most third party candidates.

So anyone who says that voting for a leftist third party is just giving votes to the gop, should really be doing the same math when it comes to the other way around and well hey look at that I guess the dem candidate got more votes in that equation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rochallor posted:

The repeated and humiliating failures of running centrist Dems campaigning on nothing should really put to bed the idea that VBNMW is "harm reduction" in any meaningful way. If it inevitably leads to electing Republicans, withholding your vote or making a protest vote ought to be considered the harm reduction option, and Terry McAuliffe the accelerationist one.

To McAuliffe's credit, he campaigned against Trump and it has been proven without a doubt that Trump will not be the next governor of Virginia.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Murgos posted:

I feel like I’m being gaslit again. I don’t see how people can look at a constitution ignoring, big lying, COVID denying, insurrection supporting, fascist, bigoted and racist Republican Party and vote in a new R governor.

Maybe I’m the one that’s wrong and just doesn’t understand?

It didn't have to be this way but McAuliffe just ran a terrible campaign and shot himself in the foot in plenty of ways. Like one of the lessons the dems should take away from this is to never run on a platform of "I'm not the other guy". The other big takeaway is that they need to focus on putting together some really good messaging on education because a lot of republicans are gonna look at what Youngkin did there and try to follow up on that. If they don't have an effective way to counter that narrative they're just gonna bleed more and more, losing elections that they should be able to win.

Sadly the realistic outcome is that they are gonna find a way to pin this on progressives instead of doing anything introspective.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

We could just stop voting for democrats.

It's not that hard. I did it right here in broward county last time I voted. when faced with a dwindling voter base and an increasing share of electoral losses, the hope is that democrats change (lol) or crumble and be replaced by an actual leftist movement (also probably lol)

No, I don't care to hear the "but creeping fascism!!!!" doomerism nonsense. be optimistic :)

Honestly while it seems like Walton ran a bad campaign, it turns out the centrists got their way by purity testing the hell out of that election so maybe it's time for progressives to follow suit.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

Pretty sure an attempted fascist coup, no matter how inept, is something that should be a big deal but ok let's normalize that I guess.

It's entirely possible to care about that as well as the fact a lot of the country is broken and we have problems with Healthcare, wealth inequality, racism, etc.

To be frank, the people that care about 1/6 are already gonna vote blue no matter who anyways, so it's a waste of energy to run on it when they could focus their messaging on helping people instead.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not as if the party is treating as an existential threat either considering the inaction against members of Congress who refused to certify and still treating the Republicans as their colleagues.

Yea. It definitely sends some mixed messages alright!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

selec posted:

If you want to empower diabetics and trans people, give them loving Money

It's insanely sick to see how both parties looked the other way when it turned out that the stimulus checks were very popular across all political spectrums.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Peter Daou Zen posted:

How is it a bad take when Trump gave people money, and they will remember that? Policy doesn't have to be super wonky or complicated, at all.

You do things, campaign on saying "See what I did for you?" and you win.

People are still angry that Biden owes them 600 dollars he promised.

It might have been gaudy as hell, but it turns out including his signature on those checks was actually a good idea.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Booourns posted:

https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1455716232007757825/photo/2
At the very least, next time the democratic party should not run ads for their opponent lol

The fact that there are any dems at all that think that Trump is somehow unpopular with republicans is one of the most deranged things this year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I think those arguing Biden can not do XYZ because of fear or expectation judges will strike down EOs are arguing in bad faith. If anything, judges striking down EOs would actually be a benefit when Trump sweeps in 2024. Honestly we either get good EOs are on the books rulings that limit the presidents power.

It is a win win situation.

Heck if nothing else the narrative changes from "Biden is doing nothing" to "Biden tried to do things but the Trump judges struck him down!". Doesn't seem like there's a downside to that messaging!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

I still like this idea:

It's the rare kind of means-testing that could actually be good, and not extremely lovely.

(It'd be better for everyone to get a lump sum no matter what, obviously, but at least that would be an acceptable compromise)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

morothar posted:

Virtually everything in the Infrastructure and BBB bills benefits young people, often most or exclusively. $4T+ in spending that would never have materialized without the Democrats being (barely) in power.

Truly, young people have no reason to vote Democrat ever again.

Considering how much the bill has been stripped down over the past several months (It's no longer at $4T, for one), I can't help but feel like when something is finally signed it's gonna end with people like me being fed table scraps off the dirty ground while being told that I should be grateful.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

Probably the people obsessed with cash in hand are so because of the society that requires it to survive that they were born into. Really makes you think.

heck last year proved that the most effective way to have an impact on lowering the poverty rate is to just give people money with no strings attached, instead of means-testing the heck out of them

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

:hai:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cr0y posted:

I still think there is an opportunity for Trump to somehow shatter the GOP into a million little pieces right before 24.

Who else is currently growing in the GOPs laboratory of horrors that has ambitions for the nomination?

DeSantis does but also, dude is relatively young so he can afford to wait if need be.

I don't think the GOP is gonna be doomed tho.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

Lots of members of that caucus aren't actually progressive.

In before "yes they are, who are you to gatekeep"

Yea there is definitely some amount of progressiveness as aesthetics going on :hai:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

People on the left dislike AOC because they think she's full of poo poo, and personally I agree with them. I didn't always but it's become very clear over the last year. The completely nonsensical rationale she came up with for not even being willing to do a symbolic "no" vote against directly funding a fascist ethnostate was the last straw for me

Yea I gave her a lot of slack since she has been tarred by both republicans and democrats from pretty much day one, but that vote was the last straw for me as well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If you are presented with a bill you want to pass and vote against it because the guy who pushed it to a vote is a big rude meanie man, you didn't want the bill to pass

It's this, plain and simple :hai:

If they truly believed in it they would be able to look past one guy being a lil rude and just vote yes, instead of no. But maybe I just can't put myself in the mindset of the galaxy brained centrists.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah this. Anyone who is upset with what Lee Carter did or going “tsk tsk that isn’t the correct way” is telling on themselves. If one supports a bill then they’ll vote for it no matter how it is brought up. It’s why I assume liberals argue in bad faith because the amount of times “process” and “proper channels” get brought up as a cover is nauseating.

Yea their reasoning behind them voting no despite claiming that they totally, definitely wanted to vote yes, reminds me of the kind of person that says they want to hang out with you but are always busy when you ask, never taking the initiative, etc. At some point you just gotta accept that their actions are saying more than their words ever will!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Not believing in electoralism is not synonymous with not caring or giving up. Just means a change in where you focus that attention. Me, I started feeding and helping others get ged. I'm doing this because I no longer expect the needed help yo come and people are hungry now.

Yea. I have no faith in electoralism (at least at the federal level. Sometimes good things can happen locally but it takes an obscene amount of work) but it's lovely to think that people who don't believe in it don't want things to get better. Many of them just believe that change has to come from other avenues besides going to the polls.

e: heck, in fact, helping out locally is the opposite of lazy, compared to what it takes to perform a single action every 2 or 4 years

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 13, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

The problem is people who don't believe in it using it as an excuse those shut down and shout out people trying to squeeze whatever food they can put of a broken system or even trying to understand what's happening. If you don't think it's worth discussing politics because it doesn't matter or whatever why even post here?

There are more ways to engage with politics than just going to the voting booth every few years to push a button, simple as that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

This is a perfect example, did I say there wasn't or that people shouldn't be active in other ways or did you go out of your way to pretend I was making a different point then I was in order to stifle discussion.

What was your point then? By asking this I am clearly not trying to stifle discussion!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Majorian posted:

Yup, this. One-third or more of all eligible voters don’t vote. They’re disproportionately poor and POC. “What would the Dems have to offer to keep you from voting for Trump” is absolutely the wrong question to be asking. The right question is, “Why can’t the Dems turn out a huge chunk of voters that tend to lean in their direction?”

It would be nice if the dems learned from Virginia and tried to run a midterm plan on good policies that could convince a lot of those non-voters that lean in their direction to vote for them, but I suspect that instead the main messaging for the midterms is gonna be yelling about Trump and 1/6. Messages that absolutely won't work on those non-voters.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

readingatwork posted:

If the Democrats were smart they’d just cut a check to people for a few hundred dollars to help pay for Christmas gifts or something. It’s a cheap tactic but it works due to it’s high visibility.

They won’t do it though because lmao they are more dedicated to the idea that payouts are cheating than Republicans are.

Yea those stimulus checks were extremely popular with voters and non-voters across the entire political spectrum and we're never gonna see anything like that again because they weren't means-tested tax credits lmao

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

He's gonna raise a poo poo ton of money, get blown out in the actual election, and then somehow progressives will be blamed for his loss while he continues to fail upwards.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

The first two things are true but the third is a weird persecution complex thing. (As for the failing upwards, who knows - so far he's gone from "Rep from El Paso" to "nothing".) Nobody is going to be searching for explanations as to why a gun-grabbing Democrat lost a race for Governor of Texas. Nobody blamed progressives for Wendy Davis losing, or for that matter Beto losing to Ted Cruz.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Are we even sure Matt McC isn't some kind of weird libertarian?

Blame gets thrown towards progressives often enough for the failures of centrists (but yeah, not 100% of the time) that I just feel confident in assuming it'll happen until proven otherwise.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

They are going to pay lip service to racial issues while doing nothing about them at all that would intefere with capitalism, until the heat death of the universe

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So, like, they aren't actually teaching CRT in schools below the college level, and never have been, and almost certainly never will be.
gently caress it, let the Right have its imaginary victory in exchange for concessions. Agree to mandate an immediate end to the teaching of Critical Race Theory in all public schools in exchange for some sort of concessions.

Like the enemy is asking you to stop doing something you're not actually doing. Just make a performative show of 'stopping' and be loving done with it. Jesus.

Even if that were to happen they'd still yell about CRT. At this point in the context of the right it's an amorphous blob of stuff they hate about democrats wrt schools.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering how the only tangible dem response to 1/6 was to give more money to police, I think I am cool with them not doing anything more 'lest they find reasons to do other lovely things.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Don't forget expanding the capitol police to Florida!

I did in fact forget that, whoops! Thanks for the reminder.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

On Terra Firma posted:

Maybe it's self evident but the scary part of Jan 6th to me was that conservatives and independents don't seem to be taking it seriously either. By that I mean actual voters. Maybe Dems need to bang that drum more but it kind of freaks me out that there are so many people in this country that are willing to completely forget what happened and vote that party into power again in such a short time because gas prices went up. This is the same reason Trump was the second thing in line that bothered me when he was elected. The first thing were the people who thought giving him power was a good idea in the first place.

If elected dems aren't taking it that seriously then it's no surprise that the only voters taking it seriously are people who were gonna vote blue anyways. To say nothing of how there's a plethora of more concerning problems out there for the average voter to deal with/care about.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

move thread to qcs, let smythe hand out judgements

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Yeah this seriously. It's like smacking a kid in the mouth when they're trying to tell you they were molested because they're starting unnecessary drama.

what the gently caress is this metaphor

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

This "judge" should have every skeleton in his closet thoroughly explored

You dipshits really want to see cancel culture? Find this gently caress's Nazi past and bring it to the light of day hacktivists

The sad truth is that this judge isn't an outlier at all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1461796805411287041

gently caress Joe Biden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nucleic Acids posted:

Would have been nice if the Democrats ran a campaign that wasn’t just screaming about Trump then.

You can't say he didn't deliver on what he promised: Trump is not the next governor of Virginia.