Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Epicurius posted:

One voter changed his vote, but Candidate B now has 2 votes more than Candidate A.

This is why we have to invent the concept of "half votes," emulating the "games behind" statistic used in sports standings!

ram dass in hell posted:

Is Terry on the left?

He's certainly the leftmost possible governor for Virginia in 2022. But yeah vote how you want, VA goons (and NJ goons, and all goons voting in local elections today). I might disagree with it but I'm not going to call it "dumb as dogshit," or a vote for Youngkin. It's better than flat-out non-participation, so if you're voting for Blanding instead of nobody then go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Youngkin appears to have avoided Ken Cuccinelli's reputation as an archconservative blood-gargling psychopath (which is part of the reason the libertarian candidate got so many votes [6%]), but I'm not really sure why. I guess the standards for blood-gargling psychopathy are just a lot higher than they were in 2013. In any case McA is going to have to do better than the 47.75% than he did in 2013 to win this time, and his polling numbers seem to be hitting an upper limit around that place.

Still think he wins today but I'm worried, naturally.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Why did VA politics shift again? Could it have been all the people who ran for and won votes on good policy either winning seats outright or sufficient votes as to effectively pressure established politicians to adopt good policy? No, that doesn't sound right. It must be because people just voted blue no matter who hard enough.

I mean, McAuliffe circa 2013 was one of the most boring Clintonites you could possibly imagine, and became a very good and popular governor, and then you have Northam, who had a relatively conservative background and some racist skeletons in his closet, who was also successful at implementing some good policy. At least a blue-no-matter-who gives you a chance at progressive legislation, and any Democratic governor will probably mostly follow the lead of a Democratic legislature.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ Genuinely happy to see you here, VS. Please try to keep pedantic fine-grain debate exchanges to fifteen posts or less :v:

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 2, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
/\/\/\/\/\ It seems, based on what LT2012 is saying, that those figures are including uncapped SALT deductions for people making >$400,000, which in the latest proposal seems to have been changed, leading to a much smaller (~30%) budgetary impact.

Willa Rogers posted:

Who's melting down? Once again, my predictions were validated, while yours now read like outdated press releases issued by the administration.

Willa Rogers posted:

We don't know "what it is" because it's yet to be passed, but your rosy predictions about how paid leave would stay at 12 weeks & the SALT restoration was DOA were not very accurate.

"The results have unequivocally proven me correct -> really we don't know anything because nothing has passed." Whiplash!

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 2, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Weird Thing on Twitter, noted neoliberal piece of poo poo Larry Summers expressing concern about the bill's upper-income tax cuts:

That's from Sunday so it might not reflect the latest changes. Definitely interested in seeing some more documentation of the latest, income-capped draft vs. previous drafts, and which Senators are expressing support for the more modest, less expensive partial SALT cap repeal.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 2, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tayter Swift posted:

Isn't Halloween over? What's with the M. Bison costume?

Oh it's way crazier than you know!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Sliwa#Guardian_Angels

Wikipedia posted:

In May 1977, Sliwa created the "Magnificent 13", a group dedicated to combating violence and crime on the New York City Subway.[9] At the time, the city was experiencing a crime wave.[10] The Magnificent 13 grew and was renamed the Guardian Angels in 1979. The group's actions drew strong reactions, both positive and negative.[11] Membership of the Guardian Angels showed 80 percent of them were either black or Hispanic in ethnic origin.[7] Unarmed, the group required training in karate and fulfillment of legal requirements for citizens' arrest for all members before they were to be deployed.[12] Sliwa's red beret is a component of the Guardian Angels' uniform.[13][14]

Mayor Ed Koch, a critic of Sliwa and of the organization, launched an investigation into the Guardian Angels, which according to The Washington Post, proved "so positive that the Guardian Angels will soon be awarded some sort of official status."[15] Then-Lieutenant Governor Mario Cuomo was a rare early advocate of the organization, being quoted saying "[t]hey are a better expression of morality than our city deserves".[7]

In 1992, Sliwa admitted that he and the Guardian Angels faked heroic subway rescues for publicity. He also admitted to having claimed falsely that three off-duty transit police officers had kidnapped him.[16]

tl;dr he's a famous beret-wearing NYC vigilante from the 70s.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just because the campaign was bad doesn't mean every individual thing they did was bad; sending those in a way that is targeted towards people who do not like Trump probably isn't the worst idea. If you're going to make your whole campaign "try to frame this conservative cosplaying as a moderate as a Trump acolyte," as McAuliffe inadvisedly did, then it's probably a good idea.

The problem, though, is that the overall campaign strategy sucked, rather than that particular implementation of it. Just more money spent not making an affirmative case to vote for Democrats.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

*makes campaign ads for my opponent*
"Look hear me out here: those were really good ads. He won didn't he, poo poo my ads were so good I almost voted for him"
It's laundering a negative message from McAuliffe (Youngkin is JUST LIKE TRUMP!) as a positive-but-damaging message from Youngkin. Like I said, probably not the most efficient use of campaign dollars, but it's not out of bounds and it's definitely not why McAuliffe lost the race. I sincerely doubt that sending those to mailing lists of Democratic voters made people vote for Youngkin, and it's plausible that it helped with turnout a little bit.

This isn't a strategy that was invented by Terry McAuliffe, or probably even by Democrats, and I don't want to let his lovely campaign consultants off the hook; they absolutely lost the race. But that ain't it.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

counterpoint: there's a way of going negative that isn't literally sending out promotional materials for your opponent.
Pretty sure McAuliffe did those too, the problem (and I don't live in VA so I'm just basing this on what I've heard) is that he didn't promote enough his accomplishments when he was Governor or talk very much about his plans for his second term. All anti-Trump messaging and stupid reactions to Republican messaging.

I recall seeing an exit poll number yesterday that was like 72% "voted for my candidate" vs 28% "voted against the other". Not sure how that compares to your typical election, but McAuliffe needed to make a better case for himself.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 3, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

Biden says marijuana may be a ‘gateway drug.' Like most of his generation, he’s not ready to legalize it.

But we're just supposed to pretend we didn't hear that I guess, and believe the reason he hasn't done anything to legalize it is because he really really wants to but he respects the Rules Wizard too much
Yeah, I think both these things are true:

1. It would be very difficult for Biden to Legalize It without Congress
2. He never would in a million years, even if he could

Biden just flat-out sucks on weed. No sugar coating it.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s annoying to discuss politics with people who won’t even acknowledge the possibility that forgiving student loan debt could cost Democrats more votes than it gets them.

And I have a lot of student loan debt.

Like, just because it’s not a congressional appropriation doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t be politically effective and technically correct to say that the government spent 1.7 trillion on people who are doing better than a lot of people who got no help.

Yes, on a Marxist level most holders of college debt are of the same class situation as people who didn’t go to college. But do you honestly think capital can’t drive a wedge between those two groups in public opinion? They do that poo poo constantly.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Something that I do think would have absolutely no political fallout and some political benefit is restructuring debt payments to be small - I've seen 5% of gross income floated as a possibility; I think they should go lower but 5% is a good start. You should also get unlimited forbearance if you're not working. Extend the moratorium through the midterms.

I figure it is probably also within the DOE's authority to eliminate or at least decrease interest accrual on loans. I would also note that with a student loan burden that's my size, I've technically already had thousands of dollars in loan forgiveness due to the non-accrual of interest since April '20. Doesn't feel as good as the balance going down but I do owe substantially less than I would have. (And I recognize that Trump-era policy is responsible for a lot of those savings.)

e: sorry, quoting the post below me

Sharkie posted:

This is true of literally everything ever. Oh well, better do nothing. At least Repubs might not yell at them as much if they don't do anything. You know, it's not so much that it's absolute cowardice, just real cringey pathetic poo poo, it's that the admin clearly doesn't want to do these things, so they let other people perform being nebbish, nail-biting cowards in order to give Biden et al. cover for not doing things he doesn't want to do. And that's really gross.

Here's a bad policy: 1.7 trillion to college graduates.

Here's a good policy: 1.7 trillion to everybody, in cash. >$5000 per American. (Instead of a high-five-figures sum to Mellow Seas, who is doing fine financially and as a computer-toucher can post on SomethingAwful at 10:30 AM as opposed to actual hard-working non-college voters who make jack poo poo.)

Yes, the first can (theoretically) be done without Congress, while the second would need a bill to be passed. But good luck explaining to voters why you did the former instead of the latter.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 5, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harold Fjord posted:

We saw how well that approach of offering nothing worked in VA.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2021/11/01/cheat-sheet-youngkin-and-mcauliffe-on-the-issues/

Local Press posted:

At the start of his campaign, McAuliffe released a six-page plan pledging “the largest increase in education investment in the history of Virginia.” He’s promised more funding to raise teacher salaries above the national average, expand access to preschool and fully adopt the Standards of Quality recommended by the Virginia Board of Education — guidance for staffing ratios, class size and other school resources.
Building on Democrats’ push to make Virginia friendlier to workers as well as executives, McAuliffe says he’ll require employers to offer paid sick days and family medical leave, ideas that have been discussed in the Democratic-led General Assembly but have yet to be broadly implemented. He has also called for speeding up planned increases in the state’s minimum wage, getting it to $15 per hour by 2024.
McAuliffe has said Youngkin’s tax policies, including the GOP nominee’s aspirations of eliminating the state income tax altogether, would inevitably blow up the state budget and bring major service cuts.
McAuliffe, meanwhile, has laid out detailed plans to continue the criminal justice reform initiatives set in motion last year. That includes promises to eliminate mandatory minimum sentences, hire more public defenders, fund police accreditation efforts and bring new rehabilitation programs to state prisons, including a nursery program for prisoners with newborn children.
Just because you didn't hear about the good policies McAuliffe was running on doesn't mean they didn't exist. (People not hearing about them, and instead just hearing a bunch of shrieking about CRT and parents' rights, does mean both that (a) he ran a poo poo campaign and that (b) our media is hosed.)

VitalSigns posted:

So this is going to be the Democrats' strategy next year huh.

People begging the government to do something, anything about the debt crushing their families get a long ponderous condescending dissertation on political stratagems and polling numbers that shows off how smart the speaker is but lacks any specific plan of action.

"Wow you sure know a lot of big words, so you're going to do that strategy to get me the help I need?"
"Lol. No."

gently caress, here we go, strap in everybody!
Yeah, I mean, if there are people who will vote against Democrats for not forgiving their student loans, and people who will vote against Democrats for forgiving other people's student loans, then they're just hosed on the issue and can't win. Which is probably a very accurate description of the situation.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 5, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

And what's with this very recent, coordinated use of the "one weird trick" meme to deride leftist ideals? It's come up a ton in this thread over the last few days and all I can think is that it came out of the latest TYT members-only livestream or something.
People seeing a vaguely clever turn-of-phrase and then clumsily incorporating into their own posting? On this dead gay comedy website, in TYOOL 2021? :monocle:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Jfc.

This student loan discussion has pretty much made me lose it. This is the most bad faith bullshit I've ever seen.

Whoa, settle down, Beavis.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Republicans can literally cut taxes for billionaires and nothing happens. But a "give away" to a computer programmer making $80k, well, that's just the end of the party as we know it! See, if they do that, they'll get killed at the polls by...the people who love billionaire tax breaks!
First of all, I don't think anybody is saying it would be the "end of the party as we know it." Just that it isn't the clear-cut electoral slam dunk a lot of people are portraying it as. (And on a personal level I would like it if the government flat-out gave me tens of thousands of dollars.)

But the fact of the matter is, there are a shitload of people in America - including poor people - who think forgiving debt that was knowingly taken on (even if it was by literal children) is wrong, and that taxes are bad, full stop.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Wiping out student debt will not make anybody's life worse. It will make 45 million lives better. There are many people who, if you ask them about it, will say they oppose it. But it won't actually impact their lives negatively. Negatively impacting zero people while positively impacting 45 million people directly and the rest of the country indirectly via stimulus would not "completely doom Democrats for a generation to come."

If "runaway government spending" isn't a convincing argument to a lot of people then it's kind of hard to understand why Republicans win approximately half of elections with that as pretty much their only economic message. I agree that nobody outside of the 45 million affected will suffer a negative impact from loan forgiveness. But millions will think that they do, especially when inflation is relatively high and public perception of inflation is through the roof.

Hellblazer187 posted:

The fact that so many of you think this is depressing as gently caress, though.
The realities of how hosed the American electorate is are depressing, yes.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Edit: Democrats are loving doomed for 2022 and 2024 as things stand because they've done close to nothing. And here you have people going "oh, they better not do a thing though!" because some people might not like it. I get it, it's academic since Biden hates young people, but holy poo poo.
I agree that it's academic, because Biden hates young people. The argument isn't "Biden would be doing this thing if it was more popular," it's "Biden not doing the thing that he doesn't want to do isn't electoral poison."

Passing child care measures such as are in the reconciliation bill will be a massive help electorally, because it can't easily be spun as an "elites vs. regular folk" measure; those kinds of debates are lethal to Democrats in a lot of rural areas, as we just saw this week. If the Dems don't pass the two bills they have no chance. If they do, they still have almost no chance, but at least we'll have gotten some good policy out of their two years in control.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 5, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hellblazer187 posted:

...did you not see the post I quoted that said relief would doom the party for a generation?

Yeah okay, that take is way over the top. (I don't want to get into the "nobody is saying [thing somebody has said]!" game that gets played around here so thanks for calling it out.) I guess I kind of filtered it out because I agreed with a lot of the post (also something that people do here too much, and I don't want to do.)

Really the idea that anything would "doom [a given party] for a generation" is pretty silly when we've already seen both parties come back from being declared "dead! Permanent minority!" multiple times just in this century. Worst case, full forgiveness might cost them somewhere between 0-5% for a couple of cycles. (Probably closer to zero than 5, really.)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ravenfood posted:

It might.

I'm not sure the fear that it will should be enough to shut down discussion and prevent it from being floated as a discussion. Good policy is good policy even if it is punished electorally, and there is no proof it would be punished either.

Yeah I don't disagree with any of this. It's good policy, and would only cost them at worst a few points (in elections they're likely to lose anyway). (And again, I would personally benefit massively from loan forgiveness.)

I also agree that even if there weren't legal hurdles (which is uncertain, because they wouldn't share their legal analysis), it's doubtful Biden would have much interest in doing it anyway.

Xombie posted:

I have not asked for 1.7T. I, personally, am only asking for the 50,000 per person that Democratic leaders themselves have proposed. Or, at minimum, the 10,000 that Biden himself promised.
OK, fair enough - the cost of forgiving 50k/person would be about 1T. 10k would be about 400B. I think the electoral impacts, however large or small they are, would scale with the amount of forgiveness. Lower amount of forgiveness = less upside, but also less downside. Absolutely agree that Biden should at the very least provide 10k since he promised it, and breaking promises is worse than mere bad policy, politically.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ershalim posted:

I don't mean this as an attack, and I hope it doesn't come across as one. Why do you think in these terms? Like, why is electoral consequence something you give so much credence to? Most of the largest changes in US history have been wildly unpopular at the time of the inception (or at least, unpopular enough that they would have electoral consequences) -- so why is this a metric you ascribe so much weight to? We know that polices for Medicare 4 All and parental leave for newborns are overwhelming popular, and there would certainly be electoral weight to them -- in a good way, so we know that democrats obviously don't think of things in these terms or they would do them.

Is your fixation on the optics here a one-sided way to explain why we shouldn't attempt to do good things for small groups of people, including you? I honestly don't get the drive.

It's very simple, op: I really, really, really hate it when Republicans win elections.

The Democratic Senate majority leader has proposed 50k/person loan forgiveness. No, it's not going to happen under Joe Biden, but it could happen under some configuration of Democrats. It will never happen under Republicans, ever, because they are a 100% pro-creditor party instead of a 95% pro-creditor party.

It's also very annoying that I'm describing these things in unemotional, intellectual, equivocating terms, because I don't pretend I'm some kind of politics whiz who always knows the right answer in every situation, and I'm getting treated like I'm making a very strong argument!!! for [this] particular course of action!!!!

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 5, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xombie posted:

I really and truly do believe people are casting government spending as more electorally dangerous than it actually is. When the Democrats threw caution to the wind with massive unilateral spending this past spring, they were rewarded with wide approval. Now that they're nickel and dimeing to get the infrastructure plan through, their approval numbers are in freefall.

I have do not remember a time that the Democrats were rewarded for being fiscally conservative as long as I've been old enough to vote.

Yeah I think this is fair. (It'll be interesting to see how much polling for Dems/Biden rebounds if/when the spending bills are passed.) I obviously think Democrats should spend more, and the shaving down of the bills (although they are still quite large) isn't helping them at all. But the divide between who does and who doesn't benefit from a program like student loan forgiveness is just at a particularly fraught fault line in American politics right now, and I think that's worth taking into account.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Feldegast42 posted:

155,485,078 people voted for president in 2020. 15% of that is a *mere* 23,322,761 people.

Biden won by 60,000 votes.

Writing off 15% of your electorate will very likely lose you all 50 states and give the other team a supermajority.

But who cares, its only 15%! A handful of our dear donors donate way more money than those schlubs

What percentage of people with student loan debt do you think would refuse to vote for Democrats in '22 or '24 without loan forgiveness? I'm going to hazard a guess that it's less than "absolutely all of them."

\/\/\/\/\/ I basically agree with this. The electoral impact of either policy will be minimal. Whatever student loan policy is put in place by January, it'll be because it's the policy they want to put out, not because of political concerns either way. They'll make changes to payment structure probably but I don't anticipate any large-scale forgiveness. \/\/\/\/\/\/

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 5, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Valentin posted:

yeah a key thing here is that by the logic being advanced on student loan debt here, SALT is simply unforgivable.

SALT is undoubtedly a worse policy than student loan forgiveness and an even more regressive government expenditure. It's also "hard to understand" (at the level of engagement most voters are willing to give to public policy) so most people won't get the memo that it's an upper class tax cut (one that should have been offset by other tax increases in the bill, but those got stripped out, so here we are.)

Just out of curiosity could anybody hazard a guess as to what kind of rate reduction you could get for the lower two or three tax brackets, or how much you could increase the standard deduction, for the amount of money the Dems are putting into SALT? Because those would be popular policies.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Valentin posted:

Cool! So we can agree that a policy being a regressive expenditure or targeted at a specific group isn't actually a reason for it to be passed or not to pass, and can discard all the analysis about what loving percent of the electorate has debt at a sufficient level to have their pro-Dem switch flipped by student loan debt relief, because that's not actually what makes policy happen or not happen. If SALT can pass and student loan debt relief can't get off the ground, then the primary concerns in play would seem to be 1) what Democrats want to pass and 2) what they think they can successfully message on (or, in the case of SALT, successfully avoid messaging on).

At that point, I have two questions: why should anyone at all be happy that Democrats have more political will to pass SALT than student loan debt relief, and who exactly benefits from this analysis that SALT sucks but is easily passable, but student loan debt is impossible for political reasons? What point is there to break down these numbers about what is and isn't electorally plausible based on demographics and debt burdens, when those aren't actually relevant for understanding what policies get implemented and how?

I'm not asking you to "be happy" about anything. As is the case with many forums arguments, we don't seem to disagree about anything but how big the difference between our two lovely political parties is.

I've said multiple times now that I think Biden just genuinely has no interest in large-scale forgiveness student loans. My argument has just been that this policy (which I am not arguing is a good policy) is not going to single-handedly cost them every election from here to eternity. (Nor would forgiving the loans.)

e: I guess we also disagree about how effective leftists withholding their votes is in affecting the Democratic Party platform. But the thrust of your post is correct, and like LT2012 has argued rather convincingly, none of this poo poo really matters electorally anyway and Biden/the Dems will sink or swim based on poo poo they have no short-term control over like corporate logistics and gas prices and Twitter outrages.

e: A point of clarification: I realize I did earlier call full loan forgiveness a "bad policy"; that was kind of a misstatement and I just meant that it wasn't as good of a policy as distributing 1.7T in some other, less divisive, more progressive way. But if Biden can juice the economy with a trillion dollars without getting Congress involved, that would be a good thing to do. And although I really think Biden is straight up pro-Student-Debt, I wonder if Schumer etc will start putting more pressure on him once the bills are passed.

(Would the executive unilaterally spending hundreds of billions on mostly college graduates piss off Joe Manchin, a conservative Senator who represents West Virginia, which has literally the least college graduates of any state?)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 5, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sharkie posted:

Ok, now do SALT.

Manchin, being a lovely piece of poo poo, has not made a peep about the SALT deduction, while he has successfully gotten a ton of education spending stripped from the reconciliation bill.

Valentin posted:

I guess I simply don't understand, if the bolded section represents the core of your argument, what the point is in chasing this argument to its absolute final end where everyone agrees that student loan debt relief as an individual policy probably has an indeterminate electoral outcome (potentially negative in pissing people off, potentially beneficial in activating uninterested or demoralized voters, but ultimately, and here is the key, largely unknowable because the effect is based on a million other factors), but we all agree that it's the kind of thing that should pass in an ideal world. I don't see how any of that is funny, insightful, or advances our understanding of American politics.
Because I think it's fun to talk about political hypotheticals, and I disagreed with the analysis that a bunch of posters made. I'm debatin' and discussin'. No harm in it!

e: below post:

Gumball Gumption posted:

Mellow Seas agrees with you but is locked in a false prison of the two party system so the assumption is that if you bail on the Dems than you're going Republican or at least allowing them to win.
Yeah, the "false prison". Go ahead and give me even the faintest outline of a plan to get out of it? It's not a false prison, it's reality.

Gumball Gumption posted:

The idea of any new political movement shifting things or any grand sweeping gesture and stone wall getting progressive wins is understandably seen as impossible because well, America is bad at that. I think it's a doomerism of a sort because it forces you into arguing that we don't deserve good things because that's become a fact in your paradigm.
Calling it a "doomerism of a sort" isn't terribly unfair. I never said anything about what we "deserve", though. We deserve a country where nobody is in poverty and everybody can get education and healthcare.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 5, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's one group that won't stfu about Havana Syndrome in D&D and it sure ain't the libs

e: I mean, I totally get how it's funny.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 5, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I feel like "what is going to give" is the impression that Manchin has any interest in passing anything at all. Every time we get "close" he comes up with some new impossible demand.

Let's hope that he both (a) really wants that infrastructure bill and (b) really believes that there is a large enough group of progressives (it would only take a few) to kill it if they don't get what they want.

e, below post:

Meatball posted:

He's not negotiating in good faith and apparently nobody in the house or senate has noticed.
I think they've noticed, it's just, what is the alternative? Either you get Manchin's vote or you give up. (Not trying to start Blackmail Chat.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 5, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TulliusCicero posted:

Is this a game or does his House Boat palace have a gas leak?

What the gently caress is wrong with this dude's scrambled egg brain? :psyduck:

I think it's just really hard to come up with reasons not to do something, when you're not willing to just say "I don't wanna do it," without looking like a weird idiot.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

No, it's not really an issue because most of us are smart enough to disengage when the bait is presented. The issue is that the baiting behavior is enabled, and further, encouraged, by not getting dinged. Calling for violence is a guaranteed ban+30 if not a perma. trying to bait posters into putting out detailed screeds of how to take action against the US government should be, bare minimum, a "don't do that" sixer.

OK, well, do you see how someone coming into a thread where most people believe in voting and campaigning and saying "heh, voting is for suckers :smug:" and refusing to elaborate is also pretty frustrating?

If somebody is baiting you, just don't take it. It seems like most advocates of direct action around here handle the situation just fine; I don't see many people getting banned for violent posting.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TulliusCicero posted:

I fully expect the Democrats to learn exactly nothing from the complete loving failure of Third Way idiocy and chase suburban votes that are more than happy to shift back to voting for their friendly neighborhood white supremacist golf buddy, if it means they have full control over education

Third Way themselves - as in the actual organization - is actually advocating for more spending in the reconciliation bill and slagging Manchin and Sinema for their obstruction, so if they've learned something I assume the party as a whole has as well.

Republicans could absolutely gently caress up their midterms with a bad strategy; I think a lot of people forget here that Republicans are just as incompetent and stupid as Democrats, which is why we beat 'em in elections nearly half the time. The Democratic messaging on education issues should be better than McAuliffe managed, now that the arguments are less novel (and some, not all, of their candidates will be less stupid than McAuliffe). There is also a chance that schools could start up with minimal staffing issues or mask mandates in the fall of '22, that would undermine them pretty badly.

VitalSigns posted:

I shot the Austrian Archduke what are you nerds doing for Serbia
:mods:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean once the moderates demanded a CBO score for the house BBB bill, nothing interesting was going to happen today. The progressives weren’t going to abandon their strategy and bail Pelosi out, and McCarthy wasn’t going to let anyone help her, so it’s weird she didn’t just tell everyone to go home. Seems like a misfire to have gone ahead with this vote.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

God please Don't bargain yourselves out of the upper hand here CPC leadership

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1456761634626711552
:sickos:

Sounds like the line is holding
“Freedom Caucus parallels” is a pretty ringing endorsement of the CPC’s strategy given that the Freedom Caucus successfully remade the entire Republican party in its image within eight years. If they were half as successful as the Freedom Cauvus I’d be thrilled.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

I got $1800

So did millions of other people

Expanded unemployment benefits

PPP loans for small businesses

more money for refugee overflow camps

wow all those good things happening really helped give us all hope for the future

I wonder (legitimately) what a CARES Act passed by a Republican trifecta would’ve looked like. Intuition suggests that the House got a lot of really good poo poo into that bill that it wouldn’t have had otherwise. But it was a crazy time, and clearly Republicans had realized their ideology was wholly unsuited to the moment, so they were going to be doing stuff out of character no matter what. Interesting counterfactual.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't understand how we're still talking past each other on this: only 25% of people think the economy is "good", but many more people than that, a clear majority based on the statistics we've seen, have more money than they've had in the past, or haven't been running out of money as much as they used to, which are usually the conditions that make people think the economy is good.

What's making people think that the economy is bad is the lowered availability of goods, and gas prices. Democrats can't/shouldn't do anything about gas prices, and the supply chain issues seem kind of beyond the grasp of our government but also like something that will straighten itself out with market forces - the question is whether we will have the following conditions in time for the midterms, or failing that, 2024:

1. People still have higher savings/purchasing power than they did pre-pandemic
2. The supply chain problems iron out, prices become predictable again and store shelves are stocked
3. People notice (1) and (2)

It's understandable why people have concerns about the economy, but the situation is much better than 2009, when the shelves were stocked and the shipments were on time but the problem was just "people had money but don't anymore".

And needless to say, of course, there are still people who are just completely hosed no matter how "good" the "economy" is, because it's America and there always are.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The current situation is that going to the grocery store feels like being punched in the testicles. Trip report: an $8 pre-pandemic chicken now costs $13.

Let's not forget the absurdity of claiming that average wages have risen while in reality there has been a mass exodus from the lowest paying jobs (especially in the retail and food service industry) which artificially inflates those numbers. I really don't understand people claiming the economy is fine and will shortly return to normal. The same talking heads on tv pushing this idea were also claiming there would be no inflation, then that the inflation was only temporary, and now saying "well actually inflation doesn't matter that much".

I'm talking about statistics. Statistically, the average person is better off with their own finances. Statistically, there are tons of people who tell pollsters that their economic position is strong and they expect it to stay strong, yet they think the economy is bad; that is also a statistic. Unemployment is low and it is easier than it usually is to find a job, or quit your job and get a better one, which is also a statistic.

Of course some people are going to be hurt when prices rise because their wages didn't go up - but wages have gone up significantly, particularly among the lower 50% of the income distribution. If you have more money than you used to, and report that you expect that situation to continue, then you are almost by definition not suffering as a result of price increases - the price increases are just causing a perception that the economy as a whole is suffering - that other people are suffering.

I am not trying to argue "the economy is great and Dems did everything perfectly and they deserve all the credit and DUMB AMERICA isn't giving them credit." (Although, tbf, somebody who bases their voting decisions on gas prices is showing a very poor understanding of the economy.) I'm just trying to point out that this is a very different economic problem from a recession, and that we are not in a recession right now, and that what will turn perceptions of the economy turn around is not necessarily what it usually is, for many (if not most) people.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Let's not forget the absurdity of claiming that average wages have risen while in reality there has been a mass exodus from the lowest paying jobs (especially in the retail and food service industry) which artificially inflates those numbers
I'm sorry, but I have to single this part out as complete nonsense: unemployment is very low, and labor force participation has been steady since August 2020. There's not some wage stagnation hidden in the numbers. The statistics show that wages up are because wages are up - the caveat is that prices are all over the place, not that the wage growth is fake.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 9, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Weird stuff about the economy right now:

I saw the statistic in the thread of 2.3 trillion in extra savings over pre-pandemic projections, which if you apply to a US population of 330 million, results in a rather amusing extra-savings-per-capita figure of $6969.69.

But there are issues, certainly. This article reports a figure of 4 trillion in savings, but attributes 70% of that (2.8T) to the upper 20%, which still leaves a lot of extra money for everybody else (1.2T). It classifies 2.6T as "liquid savings" (meaning not from home prices/investment income, presumably) and attributes 80% of that growth to the top 20%, and 42% to the top 1%. OK, that's bad, but that still means that the bottom 80% still has about 500 billion in extra savings, right?

But even among the bottom four quintiles things are still skewed upward, and, uh

linked article posted:

“households in the bottom income quintile saved less than implied by their pre-pandemic behavior,” the study found.
the degree of the savings inequality was unexpected, according to Nancy Vanden Houten, the economist who co-authored the study with Gregory Daco.

“This latest data suggests that savings are even more skewed to the top than we previously thought,” Vanden Houten said.

So what we have is rich people getting way richer, a lot of middle class people doing better than usual, and the people who are screwed being more screwed than ever.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There are lies, there are drat dirty lies, and then there are statistics.

Unemployment is a very bad metric for so many reasons. For example, if you quit your job and don't look for a new one, you're not counted as unemployed, which is exactly what's going on right now.
That is why I included labor force participation rate, which would capture this if your hypothesis held any water whatsoever.

If those places that have "help wanted" signs really want help, and if business demand stays high (which it should, because people in aggregate have more money to spend), then they'll hire people... at higher wages than they used pay, which is wage growth.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 9, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's theoretically very easy to turn brights off, but people forget, especially if they're on a mostly empty road and only see a car once every couple of minutes.

There are also non-high beams that are bright as gently caress, especially on SUVs and trucks as seen by a car - if there was an automated system it could adjust below regular "bright-rear end low beams" settings and make things a little easier for those of us who are still driving close the ground.

Not sure if it's a very big contributor to crashes, though. Generally headlight regulation compliance is pretty good.

Epic High Five posted:

The only anti-drunk driving measure I'm aware of is the ignition interlock but it sounds like they have something else in mind, I have no idea at what stage of development such a technology is. All this stuff's gonna require chips tho so here's to hoping that whole thing is sorted out by then
Yeah, I personally think mandatory ignition interlock would be a pretty good policy, but it's not going to happen because it would make people feel like they are being treated like criminals. I wonder what they will come up with, if it will be any good, and if they will be able to avoid fit-pitching.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 9, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eviltastic posted:

What stats are you going off of?

https://apnews.com/article/business-wages-salaries-increase-8ce98ea3bcc14c4810eb5a1111e1df49

AP, October 29 posted:

Wages jumped in the three months ending in September by the most on records dating back 20 years, a stark illustration of the growing ability of workers to demand higher pay from companies that are desperate to fill a near-record number of available jobs.

Pay increased 1.5% in the third quarter, the Labor Department said Friday. That’s up sharply from 0.9% in the previous quarter. The value of benefits rose 0.9% in the July-September quarter, more than double the preceding three months.

Workers have gained the upper hand in the job market for the first time in at least two decades, and they are commanding higher pay, more benefits, and other perks like flexible work hours. With more jobs available than there are unemployed people, government data shows, businesses have been forced to work harder to attract staff.

The increase in wage growth is offset by a very similar increase in prices, but that affects people differently because the prices are skewed by some specific categories:

More AP posted:

However, compared with a year ago, it’s a closer call. In the year ending in September, wages and salaries soared 4.2%, also a record gain. But the government also reported Friday that prices increased 4.4% in September from year earlier. Excluding the volatile food and energy categories, inflation was 3.6% in the past year.

Jason Furman, a former top economic adviser to President Barack Obama, said Friday that inflation-adjusted wages still trail their pre-pandemic level, given the big price jumps that occurred over the spring and summer for new and used cars, furniture, and airline tickets.

Whether inflation fades in the coming months will determine how much benefit workers get from higher pay.
So if you don't buy a lot of gasoline, or if you didn't buy a car or furniture or airline tickets, there's a decent chance you've been feeling better off. A lot of people with long commutes are going to be worse off, because they use more gas and are more likely to need to replace their car.

This is probably related to the inequality in savings - middle class and upper middle class people are more likely to be working from home. I personally have spent way less on gas this year than I did in 2019, despite the prices going up. Poorer people are less likely to be able to work from home and more likely to feel the brunt of those price increases. They also are unlikely to qualify for the BIF's big rebates on electric cars because they can't afford electric cars, even with the rebates. They're also much more likely to have parking situations that preclude easy charging (although the BIF aims to help with that, at least).

A period of higher wage growth in the US after a long period of slower wage growth seems like something that would necessarily require inflation to be higher than it has been, since wage growth puts inflationary pressure on the economy. If the price increases slow down then people should start feeling their higher wages - hopefully price increases slowing won't be correlated with the wage growth also slowing. Things are just very volatile right now; if people didn't have higher-than-average savings right now, people would probably be even more concerned about the economy than they are.

e: Switching subjects,

Eric Cantonese posted:

Is there a way that anti-DUI might be like lane keep assist? Or basically some alarm blaring at you to pull over if you're too erratic?
Seems like a good idea - the lane departure system will keep you in your lane, but also notice that you are doing a pretty-piss poor job of staying in the lane on your own, and initiate impaired driving protocols.

\/\/\/\/\/ Love this idea.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 9, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eviltastic posted:

I mean, okay, if you want to say prices are all over the place I'll believe you. I don't take issue with your suggestion that subsets not impacted by particular price hikes will be better off. But there is absolutely stagnation of what we can call a typical wage "hidden in the numbers". BLS data shows real median wages going down, not up, for every quarter since Q2 2020, including the most recent one. FRED charts haven't been updated for Q3 2021 yet, but show the same thing.

e: and taking a slightly longer view, as that NYT piece invites us to do, suggests similarly disappointing growth. I'm pretty suspicious of their choice to reference growth in average numbers when claiming "sharp" increases, particularly contrasted with the suggestion that said sharp increase was driven by lower earners.

This is good feedback, thanks. I'm willing to accept that on average, people's wages are about as stagnant as they've been since the Reagan era (outside of the late-90s blip). That's a strike against "the economy is good, actually" but it does still leave a question as to why people are interpreting the economy as being as bad it was in April 2009 when things were worse then by pretty much every measure except "if you want a thing and have the money for it, can you buy it easily?" If Democrats can address that (or if it addresses itself), it should help public perception of the economy, even if it doesn't bring us into "actually good economy" territory (which is something very few goons have actually seen in their lives).

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Majorian posted:

It's a sense of precarity. I posted that Gallup poll about people's lack confidence in the economy a couple pages back, and I think that's what you're seeing in these other polls. Even if people are doing better financially than they were five, ten, or twenty years ago, it's hard to feel like the economy is doing "well" if you're afraid that the bottom's going to drop out again suddenly and blow away your life savings (or that you or a family member will get sick and suddenly face huge medical debts, or any other number of possible tragedies).
Yeah, totally. The good news (for the Democrats) is that there is a year to correct this perception of precarity.

A lot of the fears that people have are, well, not irrational, but not reflective of the most likely actual path ahead. For example, many people believe that the Democrats' large spending bills will increase inflation. Based on polling, people report feeling like the BBB will hurt them for that reason, but the actual inflationary pressure of the bill should be pretty minor (especially if tax increases are included) and the programs included in the bill will directly aid pretty much anybody with children (60 million households)*. Likewise, people might believe that gas prices (or bacon prices, or car prices, or...) are going to keep spiraling up forever, but it's more likely that those will level out or even drop back closer to pre-pandemic levels**.

(* Yes, this assumes that the BBB passes in some form that isn't "SALT cap repeal + that funny Kamala tweet about means tested programs", which isn't an assumption I would make - but the point is that people seem to be expecting a Carter-era economic situation, and it is very likely that we will not end up with actual stagflation.)

(** If you believe, mistakenly, that gas prices are reflective of the president's policy, then you might also believe that the thing [whatever it is - "pay lip service to climate change?"] that Biden did that "made gas prices go up" will continue to do so, even if a more informed observer will recognize that Biden has nothing to do with the prices rising and will have nothing to do with them leveling out or dropping.

Seriously, it's weird to me that people don't realize that these gas prices are within the regular fluctuation of gasoline prices over the last 50 years... but oh well. Shouting "YOU'RE WRONG" won't help.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 9, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Abner Assington posted:

I mean, cool, but can we also get some regulations on the low beams on cars using HID/xenon headlights (which is to say, effectively every new-ish car on the road)? They're incredibly blinding on even low settings, and is only made worse by every dickhead in this country driving an SUV/pickup truck, so their lights are perfectly positioned at head level for me in my hatchback.
Made worse by the fact that people in high vehicles unconsciously (usually) follow people in cars way too closely, using "seeing over the top of the car in front of them" as a substitute for "proper following and stopping distance". Which results in low beams shining directly into the mirrors of cars.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ Now if you want to talk about a policy that is good in theory but would make you lose every election ever, that one is probably up there with reparations for slavery. \/\/\/\/\/

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 9, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

But that's just all glittery farts from unicorn butts; the perfect is the enemy of the good, and most people are doing just fine economically, because Chase says savings are at a record high and lower-income workers are receiving 11 percent more on average than they were two years ago.

I mean, yes, "most people", as in a majority, are doing "just fine" economically, not according to loving Chase, but according to actual polls of public opinion that LT2012 has posted in the thread!

No, "most people are doing just fine" isn't sufficient, because that means somewhere up to 49% of people aren't doing fine, but usually people will accept "I'm doing just fine" as a heuristic for "the economy is doing just fine". Right now that isn't happening and it's interesting to discuss why that is. You don't have to be hostile or act like I'm trying to minimize problems, thanks.

If you want to take a positive from the disconnect between "how I'm doing" and "how's it going" it's that people are showing concern for general societal economic inequities, and thinking about long-term issues, when most of the time in the past, the number in their savings account is as far as most people get. That's a better political environment, to me, for people who want to enact broad-based change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's interesting because it looks like two things happened at once as a result of the pandemic (and, probably, as a result of the government sending people more money directly in 2020 and 2021 than ever before):

1. The gap between people's opinions of the "buying climate" (is that the same thing as "consumer confidence?") and their "personal finances" increased
2. People's perception of the national economy became more strongly correlated with the former than the latter, when pre-pandemic it had been the other way around.

e: Another thing to note about this graph is that the disconnect now is similar to what it has been since summer of 2020 - which means that Trump probably would've won if people were basing their opinion of the economy on their personal finances.

Sharkie posted:

I think when you talk to people about how they feel that data doesn't matter, I don't know anyone who thinks yeah things own right now, this is great. I don't know why I should care about the data when it describes a world I cannot see or touch.
The "data" in question is "things voters told pollsters about their feelings" so I'm not really understanding this post.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 9, 2021