Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Lib and let die posted:

I can answer for myself, bud, but thanks.

Yes. I have not, and will continue to not be shy about my feeling that the child tax credit is not enough of a reparative measure for all Americans, simply based on the fact that it is a "child tax credit" and not a "tax credit for everyone."

My hope is that the democrats will do something to discharge the $40,000 worth of medical debt I took on during the pandemic.

I've been noticing that the "earnings above poverty line, crushed by debt, no children" demographic is not getting much help here. The BBB framework has a lot to help out poor families, between the child tax credit, EITC expansion, pre-school, and child care investment, but very little beyond them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

AmiYumi posted:

Hey, here’s an idea: instead of starting this bad faith trolling on page three of the new thread, maybe don’t?

Not every mention of the dominant politics of the region needs some shitposter to stroll in with “there are poor people stuck there too, checkmate guess Dems are the real racists :smug:

Okay, really:

AmiYumi posted:

the whole region assaults everyone who lives there with propaganda, socializing most of them towards being a Klansman

Do you think that was actually a good post? Do you think that really was a positive contribution to this thread?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

What breeds resentment isn't a fully refundable child tax credit, because it's easy to see that it's good policy that will help people. What breeds resentment is a bunch of politicians talking about how this is the biggest social program of all time while a ton of people are struggling with housing, medical care, and debt and not having that addressed at all. It doesn't mean the CTC is bad, it means you shouldn't leave people out to dry, either ethically or politically.

Professor Beetus posted:

Here's the part that I read to imply that:

If you can't see how that framing could imply the position of "ctc should be replaced with something for everyone" then I don't know how to break it down any more simply.

Where did you get "replace?" That's the leap.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Killer robot posted:

Just to be clear, you mean the current payments to children being extended to adults as well, whether or not they have children? Or do you mean replacing it with a payment to adults, whether or not they have children, and children get nothing? This is an important distinction and affects my opinion on it.

I regret to inform you that there are no direct payments to children from the federal government.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

Case in point:

This doesn't look like an ad that would get people to vote for Terrance!

That is just embarrassing.

I don't have faith that the correct lessons will be learned from this, but I do have absolute faith that the postmortems this week are going to be endlessly painful to read as everyone from the entire political spectrum explains how and why this loss validates their political strategies.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

re the federal stuff about 'why don't they pardon people with weed convictions' and the answer is that they largely have. there have been drat few federal prosecutions of non-organized crime level weed cases for at least a decade now and there have been several waves already of identifying people in federal custody for non-violent weed-related offenses for early release. Presumably some still exist, but by and large the huge, massive carceral problem wrt non-violent drug crimes is state level.

tldr: federal prisoners locked up for drugs (both violent/non-violent) account for 2% of american prisoners

500 grams of lsd is an astronomical amount of lsd. like 5,000,000 doses :stare:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

99% of them were convicted on state crimes.

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_offenses.jsp

46.1% of the federal prison population are there on drug crimes. I know that Herstory is correct re: federal weed prosecutions, and the number of people in state prisons for drug offenses is at least twice this, but it is still very significant.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

99.5% of the federal prison population with drug charges are there for trafficking or in conjunction with other offenses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ijuana-charges/

99.7% of the people who are incarcerated for possession or mandatory minimums are in state or local jails.

There were only 92 people who were convicted of any marijuana possession charges at the federal level in 2017 out of 2.3 million drug arrests.

https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/research-and-publications/annual-reports-and-sourcebooks/2017/Table33.pdf

Okay. The topic wasn't limited to only possession, though, ITD and trafficking are also non-violent drug crimes that plenty of people get booked on (and for anyone else who is not aware, these designations have little to do with intent or behavior but just the weight of drug they're caught with). Prison for possession is more egregiously immoral than "trafficking" but this still needs reform.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/LavenderNRed/status/1455990165642649600

uh, does anyone know why the gently caress we're doing this???? :psyduck:

They're not really free elections, but the US only cares about that when it's a leftist in charge, right-wing corruption is a-ok.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, I typed it into Google search instead of Twitter search, and Reuters says that the Nicaraguan government has arrested "dozens of opposition politicians", including several "presidential hopefuls". Sure, I only did a whopping ten seconds of research into the subject, but that's ten more seconds than you or any of these posters bothered to put into it:

Most of the politicians arrested have openly taken funds from the United States, and the Chamorros in particular have just been funneled CIA money for years including leading up to the poo poo in 2018, so it's not like this was just Ortega jailing everyone who posed a threat -- he jailed the ones supported by a hostile foreign government. I don't know if that's true for 100% of them and that could still be viewed as anti-democratic, I guess, but that's pretty relevant context.

This is such a bizarre example to use for something they can do a legitimate story about.

Where have these people been getting milk for $1.99? According to Google, the average price of milk in 1990 was $2.39.

Also, 12 gallons of milk per week for two people?!?!

This is a promotional tweet by the actual CNN anchor and not someone making fun of it.

https://twitter.com/brikeilarcnn/status/1456227125346832384

...the whites have some explaining to do

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 4, 2021

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Most of the RENACER Act is strengthening of garbage that is already law and makes it harder for Nicaragua to get foreign loans. The worst poo poo is already law.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

AmiYumi posted:

Hey so why did we rename this the “US Current Events” thread if the mods and IKs aren’t going to do anything about days and days of circular slapfights about primarychat and electoralism?

We just had an election. One might call that a Current Event. It makes sense that people would continue on to talk about elections in general. I am sorry your team is doing poorly.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So was there any actual votes today or did everything get punted?

As of this moment, Pelosi is trying to rally Republicans to vote for the bipartisan bill tonight because she believes the progressives will not. BBB is shelved for the moment.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Well, that's a hell of a gamble, and I think it is an incredibly stupid gamble to take. All leverage is gone and dependent entirely on the goodwill of a group of obstructionist fuckheads. If BBB doesn't pass (and without substantial changes from the current version) then I'll never vote for a Democrat again.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

paranoid randroid posted:

Pelosi knew she had the R votes to make them not matter. the only purpose this whole charade served was to humiliate the CPC.

If the CPC held strong, she would have needed to peel off far more Republicans, and it also wouldn't give us yet another example of impotent progressives shooting themselves in the foot, even if Pelosi somehow pulled that off.

I can only assume that the CPC started falling apart as the day went on, and Jayapal had to get some kind of deal together because if Pelosi called their bluff and brought it to the floor, Jayapal had no guarantee she could keep anyone but the squad as No votes.

What a lot of loving cowards.

vvv

Hellblazer187 posted:

Did the entire CPC cave? Where can I find the actual vote counts? I guess it doesn't really matter, though. The CPC as a block with any power is totally done.

All except Pressley, AOC, Omar, Tliab, Bowman, Bush. The usual.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 6, 2021

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Shammypants posted:

Alright, so let's say the 1.85 trillion passes as it currently stands. What is the view then?

It's a poo poo bill that should have been better, but it has some good stuff in it that will help people, and the progressives punching themselves repeatedly in the genitals turns out not to have screwed us all. If this "tactic" makes a poo poo bill worse, then...

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

Why would they want to sink the rest? That's the core of Biden's agenda and the stuff he was running on.

Yours is a "black is white, up is down" conspiracy theory.

"Biden's agenda" has already been cut up until it's about half of what was initially proposed, remains stalled in Congress to the point that the CPC entirely broke down, and you not only think the conservative Democrats don't want to keep cutting, but that it is a conspiracy theory to believe so.

Black is white, up is down.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Eh, it's not a bipartisan bill due to contractor grift, it's bipartisan because everyone likes federal funding for roads and electrical grids so the states can do work they need to do without impacting their budgets. There's not really much in the BIF that could be construed as bad, and the broadband money is really the only stuff that I'd rate as likely to disappear (because there's no competition and historically telecom just does whatever the gently caress it wants to do until it reaches a boiling point and they get nailed with an anti-trust suit). This stuff all gets doled out through grant mechanisms.

Again, the problem isn't the BIF, the problem is that it's all behind-the-scenes maintenance and improvements that is essential to do but will have minimal impact on most lives; it's stuff that people expect to work and complain when it breaks. All the notable social programs and meaningful climate funding are in the BBB, which is still in jeopardy.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Radirot posted:

allegedly a big part of H.R.3684 was in addressing climate change so maybe not do that? scale back on roads that we have too many of in the first place.

Problem is you really can't fix the nation's dependence on cars by just letting roads and bridges fall apart. There is a decent Amtrak investment and money earmarked for public transit improvements in BIF, but there's obviously still only so far you can go with that.

All the serious climate change money is in BBB.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm looking at this BBB thing and I can't seem to find the part where Biden stuffs thousands of dollars in my bank account like Trump did.

Do you have children? Or are you below 130% of the poverty line? Or do you have disabled or infirm parents on Medicaid? Or are you diabetic on lovely insurance?

...or do you have >$200,000 household income in a high income tax or property tax state?

Then BBB will have an obvious effect.

Otherwise, sorry, gotta just be happy for those other groups.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Everybody who votes for a Republican is a Nazi, and everyone who votes for a Democrat is a sexual predator. Now that we've cleared that up, why don't we move on?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Serious Questions about the new car regulations:

- Is changing from high-beams to low-beams really that difficult for a lot of people?

I have this on my car and it's actually pretty nice. There are a lot of rural roads that are unlit but well-traveled and it's a great, if small, QOL feature to not have to flip the brights off every minute.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Karl Barks posted:

I'm not sure how we went from talking specifically about advocating the Biden administration ignore the court order to sell land to oil companies to "all laws are bad".

Willa Rogers posted:

May as well add slavery of the incarcerated, civil-forfeiture laws, the death penalty, and medical bankruptcies to the list. All are legal; all are immoral; and most are violations of international human-rights standards.

Byzantine posted:

People are probably dismissive of "The Rule of Law" because the concept is only invoked to explain why we have to set the Gulf on fire, or let Nazis operate freely in the government, or throw Mexicans into camps.

It's an interesting dynamic. DV et al. are absolutely correct that it's annoying and stupid for people to slam a misleading headline down without reading the article and blame the wrong people, but it also makes perfect sense for most people to care far more about outcome than process. It's not unreasonable for the response to horrible acts allowed via legal means to be "this is unacceptable and we just need to fix this by any means necessary." I do kind of like having my capitalist nuclear-armed institutions bound by legal frameworks and norms, so I don't really expect or want the Biden administration to just go out and tell all the courts "lol no" whenever a corporation wins a suit, but "gently caress you and your unjust laws" is sort of a bedrock of civil disobedience. The real problem, and the reason for increasing radicalism, is that there is no apparent mechanism by which any of these unjust rules actually change through the political process. Congress don't do poo poo. The courts are packed with fascists. So, it becomes ever more appealing to just go "gently caress laws, what have they ever done for me, anyway?"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Sarcastr0 posted:

Even consequentialism pays attention to the consequences of method.

What? The point is pay attention to means, not just ends. Not that you should ignore ends.

I did not expect to get this much pushback on this philosophy 101 concept.

Because you made an absolute and clearly incorrect statement that would get destroyed by your philosophy 101 TA. "All moral systems consider means, sometimes" is a considerable difference from what you said, which was "ends don't justify the means is a fundamental aspect of moral systems," which is roughly translated as "teleological ethics literally doesn't even exist."

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Lager posted:

If you want people to remember government programs you have to name them something catchy, like Cash For Clunkers.

ooh, we need a jingle

quick, somebody better whip up the BBB version of 1-877-KARS4KIDS

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

By "these people" do you mean the book-burners cited in that tweet, or all of the 150 million people who chose to not vote for Joe Biden for president last year?

The Democrat (sexual predator) means that all Republicans are Nazis, of course.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Stop trying to re-litigate the self-defense case

This never would have happened if Bernie beat Hillary.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Drone_Fragger posted:

So sounds like, if I'm understanding this correctly, you could now just turn up to a protest armed and if anyone does anything remotely provocative you can just shoot them? And then shoot anyone else who tries to stop you shooting them? And then cite this moronic precedent of this case as a defence?

Provided you are shooting the same people the cops want to shoot.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Flayer posted:

This verdict gives more impetus to resistance. I'm extremely left leaning and would vote communist if I had the option. I don't think it's wrong to travel to a protest and I don't think it's wrong to defend yourself. I'm not glad that people died but I'm not against political violence, I welcome it from the left.

"As a leftist, I am glad it is legal to execute leftists," he said without even a hint of reflection

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

skylined! posted:

"As a leftist, I am glade the state will prosecute leftists for defending themselves even more than they already do"

There were no good outcomes here.

The state will poo poo all over leftists no matter what, but "Kyle Rittenhouse goes to prison" sounded like a pretty good outcome to me.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Kalit posted:

I admit, part of why I tried to correct it (while loving up myself and including what I thought was fairly factual about him firing at least 1 shot, which is unknown) is because I get annoyed at people praising Reinoehl as a hero, even though I don't think this was FlamingLiberal's intent. And then it got sidetracked from there.

For your question, it depends on what you mean by justified. Should it have happened this way? From all we know, absolutely not. But given all the extreme circumstances of Reinoehl/that incident up to that point, if the cops who shot first honestly thought they saw a gun and/or him reaching in his pocket/waistband, I can understand their perspective even if I don't agree with it. There seemed to be no good outcome of that situation.

I actually did a double-take when I read the bolded because I was convinced I must have misread it. Imagine writing this at any point since 2015.

You are deeply biased in a way that prevents you from even considering "arrest him peacefully" as a viable option, when it absolutely was -- you are inventing an insane nut guaranteed to go out guns blazing. They didn't even try, they just rolled up with a murder squad and shot him. There's no excuse for it at all. I don't doubt the executioners had the same bias, that doesn't excuse anything.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

Look, if you think the world is doomed unless we do poo poo right now, then get out there and start doing your part to poo poo, instead of spending your days in nihilistic shitposting.

Who are you to say anyone isn't? The doomposting is intended to make you rethink your strategy, and give up hope in places like Democratic legislatures, not give up hope entirely. Or it's just blowing off steam.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't think they're secretly fascist, I think they are openly fascist. As evidenced by their vote and eager support for a fascist party.

If A) Are you a member or supporter of a fascist organization

Is too much of a purity test for whatever leftist path you have, good luck. That honestly is the only answer I can give, I'm not being snide.

A former Republican, obviously, is no longer a Republican. You need no effort to convert them out of white nationalism or any other awful ideology unless they went too far to the right even for the Republicans (and holy poo poo that is pretty far).

I don't give a gently caress about the Dems, I am talking about the left. Cut off both racist grandma and Charlie loving Crist.

Answer to what I actually wrote instead of bizarre invented caricatures derived from your own head.

You're again answering to what you think I wrote, and not what I actually wrote. Surgical purging? Civil war? No, those are, again, things you have to do when nations choose your path and the faecists gently caress things up for everyone. Do you want to discuss any of the myriad examples I mentioned and how the situations are horribly similar?

I am deeply familiar with human beings and what your approach leads to. We can use United States as an example too. The number of unreachables seems to be somewhere between a third and 40%. Societies have dealt with shutting up larger numbers of fascists out of society until they stop being that.

If you disagree that the GOP is a fascist party, that is something that can be also evidenced. You and I seem to disagree whether or not supporting a fascist political party and fascist politics makes one a fascist. If you don't think it does, I think we have to agree to disagree.

Human beings can change or be redeemed. It is just very unlikely in the case of fascists unless they're forced to. Again, the evidence for this is plenty. I like places where that forcing is done by societal conventions instead of brutal wars. I'd like to think the latter is not necessary for the former.

Republican voters support Republicans -- the actual policies that Republican voters support is all over the place. Most of them support fascism only incidentally, via supporting Republicans. A vote for a party does not mean you support every crime committed by that party, and the only logically consistent endpoint of the argument that you own every crime is to not vote at all. I don't care at all if you want to poo poo on Republicans for voting that way, the reason this matters is because plenty of people would dump the fascism for something else that appeals to them. It's not the fundamental basis of what makes an "American conservative."

Can you convert avowed fascists? Nah, not usually (unless they're an apolitical type who just loves them some "action for action's sake" nonsense). Can you convert people who don't really give a poo poo about politics but bought some fascist lines? Of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

Christ, voters need their own episode on the "Well there's your problem" podcast. Dems keep thinking they can run from the problem of voters being this stupid and uninformed. How's that working out? Meanwhile R's run circles around us with literally zero actual policy positions outside of vague hand wavy nonsense and race baiting because they understand that humans are driven by status anxiety and that perception > reality.

How can people so smart be so incompetent?

Why do you expect anyone except us brokebrained politics nerds to know what is in a bill that has been marked primarily by infighting and consistently getting smaller?

also:

The Democratic strategy of talking about the SHEER SIZE of these bills is embarrassing because you convince voters that it is a giant, incredible, amount of government spending and then they look at BIP and see that it's... roads? It's good spending, but it's just fixing broken infrastructure and nobody gives a poo poo and talking it up while the only broadly noticable change for trillions of dollars between two bills will be child care and pre-K is... not likely to work. It doesn't help that the child care components could even backfire, if Bruenig is correct.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 23, 2021