Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

AmiYumi posted:

Oh, the reconciliation bill is finally getting a vote?

Twitter noise indicates tomorrow for the vote on BBB but who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
A new NPR Marist poll has some eye openers

https://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/NPR_PBS-NewsHour_Marist-Poll_USA-NOS-and-Tables_B_202110251104.pdf

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1455186456679489543

:tif: energy for sure

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Checking the composition of the sample...

That leaves 327 voters who didn't specify an affiliation.

The survey has more Democratic-leaning voters, but also thinks the Democratic party is the greatest threat to democracy? The only way that makes sense is if the vast majority of "no specified affiliation" are hard right-wingers. I would just toss that survey into the trash where it belongs and not worry about it.

I too like to throw away information that doesn't line up with my worldview

How about this one
https://twitter.com/nataliemj10/status/1455139127465291785

Another report showing some rather alarming trends.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Oh, I agree that 99% of people who think the election was stolen will do nothing about it.

I live in Colorado, and right-wingers are very worked up here. Just last week there was one of those drat "trump parades" that drove around my kid's school for an hour yelling about masks and freedumb. I think all of the anger is bring redirected to local elections like school boards. I will be very lucky if my current good school board that is enforcing masks makes re-election.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I can honestly say for myself that the CTC has really helped my family and my peers in similar situations. I can also say that the same amount of money should go to everyone regardless of if they have kids or not.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Mods change my name to the impossible counterfactual, please

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The CTC could be a great foot in the door for UBI if it was done properly.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

What's sucks is he's not wrong about the situation. Parents should not be involved in school curriculum, and some people seem to take quite a large offense to that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Lmao, called it.

Of course it'll be in the final bill, as has been rumored for days and only denied by Leon (who also once swore that 12 weeks of paid family leave would be in the final bill). So will (continued & enhanced) massive government subsidies to private insurers, because donors' wishes count for more than voters'.

The drug-price controls are a joke, proven by Menendez's & Gottheimer's stamps of approval. Can't wait to see Dems run next year on "you'll only go bankrupt if you don't have diabetes or the forms of cancer most expensive to treat."

Actually Menendez isn't officially on board

https://twitter.com/john_wilkerson/status/1455616982733279251

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Hi, I have a question about healthcare while living in the United States. I'm from the US but I've lived out of the country for like ten years, and specifically since before the ACA was really in full effect. We don't have a general USPol thread anymore, which is where I would post this. I know there are people in this thread who understand US health policy better than most. If this is not kosher to ask about here, I'll move it. Also, I can tie it back to real US Current Events because if I get the (bad) answers I'm expecting, or really any answer, I can say "Democrats should really fix that" or something.

Are medical bankruptcies still a thing even if you have marketplace coverage? I know marketplace coverage is not great, the premiums are too much for most people, as are the deductibles. For this purpose assume I have enough income to pay the premiums and enough savings to pay a disgusting deductible: Do people with coverage still lose their loving house if they get cancer or whatever?

Sometimes I want to move back but I'm terrified of the healthcare system.

Short answer. Yes. Insurance does not protect you from financial ruin if you actually have to use it. It can depend on your insurance obviously, but the bronze and silver plans are not protecting people that get cancer from bankruptcy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Damnit my local school board flipped to the conservative majority.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I think people are mistaking 'doing something' with pissing the opposition off. Making your enemies mad can make it seem like you're doing something more than just tax cuts and grift.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 4, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

If this administration passed permanent DST I will call it a win

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I do wonder if people see SALT as a tax decrease therefore it is good, while forgiving debt is spending therefore it is bad.

Americans have been conditioned that any tax break is a good thing.

In reality it should hurt the Democrats to pass SALT and ignore debt relief. They have completely internalized that Americans will see anything they do as bad, and as a result anything they do is bad.

They need to do things because they are the right things to do and the electorate be damned.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Sharkie posted:

They did not.

Narrator: They did

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/budget-reconciliation-use-recent-years

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Sharkie posted:

So they could have changed the rules but Democratic Party members didn't want to, got it.

At the time the Democrats were in the minority do they could not have. The GOP could have I guess, but they didn't need to be the one to fall in that grenade when they could use reconciliation.

The Democrats could now however, and I think they should, but the GOP will benefit from that.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 5, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

How is it bait to say they you're not living up to your rhetoric? At least I think that is what is being implied.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Meatball posted:

They are trying to do is pass the BIF bill and leave the BBB for later. When the progressives don't vote for the BIF alone, Pelosi shits all over them for not supporting Biden's BIF bill, and either shelve the BBB act or just have Manchin kill it in the senate.

They're dropping Biden's agenda. Will they take it up again? Doubtful, since Manchin is against all of it and he isn't going anywhere.

I don't think that's what's happening

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1456754021956526087

The CPC seems to be holding for now, and this open vote demonstrates that they have the votes to kill BIF. Pelosi can't do anything without the CPC or GOP votes.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

God please Don't bargain yourselves out of the upper hand here CPC leadership

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1456761246368337924

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1456761634626711552

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1456761737395507200
:sickos:

Sounds like the line is holding

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 6, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Gatts posted:

I think this is the hardest I've seen pressure put on the Progressives thus far.

But this would also be used an excuse to kick them out. They'll probably make a backroom deal with the Republicans and position the Progressives as hurting the Dems. Which is also what they'd want.

Not really. The GOP gets to humiliate Nancy Pelosi by letting her caucus be divided. They have no interest in saving her.

It is the most pressure put on them to this point, but if they hold then we will see what leadership does next.

Edit: they're actually saying what needs to be said

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1456765658033790979

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 6, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

If they accept a statement for their vote then its not a great look or bargain

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Damnit

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1456791933951647745

https://twitter.com/heatherscope/status/1456785622123827201

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 6, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Time to find out where the cards lay

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1456797286906974208

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

The drama is for MSM lanyards and pundits and people who don't know any better, kabuki theater for the dull witted. Pointless. The fight is over. It's dead, bury it. And stock up.

Supplies. For what comes next, a year from now. Three years from now. Etc.

Becoming a Prepper is the new midlife crisis.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I must have missed this yesterday.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1457019840393273348

Someone stole a diary belonging to Biden's daughter?

And of course it's the weirdo O'Keefe. I hope this guy actually has a consequence at some point.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The fifth circuit is the loving worst

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1457043916662902785

Can we please expand the federal courts.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

How are u posted:

He's pushed for the largest infrastructure and social spending packages in our lifetimes, and he's just signed one of them into law. You consider that very tangible and real thing to be "nothing"?

While it isn't nothing, I think any positive sentiment may be lost by how much was removed from it that was absolutely necessary.

It's like saying we're going to the moon but we get to LEO. It's not nothing, but it isn't exciting or novel, or even close to what we were trying for.

:shrug:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A lot of the time - especially for the climate crisis - celebrating slight incremental progress feels like celebrating that the rocket you're heading to space on will now have a whopping 35% of the fuel needed to get there (up from 15%!). It's not "nothing", but it's not enough to stop the ship smashing into the ground.

With 35% fuel you could theoretically do a hoverslam and land safely. It will still suck and people will probably die, but it won't be a total unplanned sudden deconstruction of your vehicle.

At least that works if the analogy holds up and I have learned anything from KSP.

:jeb:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

BBB ain't doing any of that because it's dead dead dead, it'll be getting the healthcare "okay Bernie just dropped let's never speak of this again" treatment on the 16th when the Senate kills it

We should bring back toxxing

I think it will pass, but will be cut even more in the interim.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 7, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

I'm happy for some miracle to happen but as a miserable Marxist who cares too much about this stuff despite my full knowledge that I shouldn't, I cannot think of a single reason why Manchin or Sinema would even bother to show up to kill it. They got everything they wanted in their bespoke bill they got on the promise BBB would be voted on alongside it and didn't even have to concede that. What's left...SALT? They'll just demand it in whatever the next bill that is lined up, it's retroactive now after all, and who's gonna stop them?

I don't disagree, but I think there's still enough political benefit to many of the party members that something called BBB will pass to appease them.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Is there any statues in the BIF to research and develop the Havana Gun

Someone needs to put one of those annoyatron things in Manchin's office and tell him it's Havana syndrome, and that we need to pass the BBB to fund a Havana syndrome research center is West Virginia.

quote:

For the people who think it will pass though: PM me for a great business deal. I need someone to wire about $50,000 in payments to various bank account numbers, after you do this I'll send you a $100,000 cashier's check and you can keep the difference as a little treat for yourself :)

E:

What is with this weird bait and switch, where someone lists all the great things in the BBB, someone says "yeah that won't pass though", and then there's this weird "well :actually: they could pass a bill with that name" retort. No poo poo but if it just renames a post office and cuts taxes on the rich then it doesn't do any of those great things that were listed then what's your point

I don't think it's a bait and switch to say that something will pass that is even less that what is currently considered in BBB. It's just par for the course as far as expectations.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 7, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

I don't think people are getting offended at this characterization, or even actually disagreeing with it on its merits, so much as they are arguing that it's not really effective campaign rhetoric.

You start out in 2016 by saying, “Nazi, Nazi, Nazi.” By 2024 you can’t say “Nazi”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, Critical Race Theory, Vaccine Mandates, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, liberals get hurt worse than conservatives.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the vaccine thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nazi, Nazi.”

Sorry I couldn't help it. I feel like we're living through the inversion of the southern strategy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

:lol: Yeah, it would be a very different conversation if the Dems had a left-of-center version of Atwater. Alas, the Dem consultant industry is what it is: sinecure jobs for the failsons and faildaughters of those in power.

This is a much bigger issue than people want to admit in the power structures of the democratic party. It's a jobs program for their kids, and a foot in the door of ivy league institutions. Even if you had someone equivalent of Atwater on the left driving the messaging, it would be undermined by countless PACS from the moneyed class.

Epic High Five posted:

We're just living through the regular southern strategy unfortunately

Yeah, but there's this weird inversion of it where the democrats can't actually call something what it is, and have to dance around it by using coded language. Sure, Trump is a fascist, but calling him one outright is going to hurt you more than it helps. The people that voted for improbably won;t respond well to being called a facist despite how true it is. That's just free motivation to your opponent's political base.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Yeah, these are pretty key to me. The focus on policy as key to electoral prospects has always seemed rather suspect to me.

running on policy seems to be a great way to lose. You have to fight the culture ware and it suuuuuucks.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Is this the right place to ask for a good update on the Rittenhouse case? I've been trying to keep up with it. Some of what I saw recently has me thinking the prosecution had a not so good showing from one of their witnesses.

My understanding is that a witness today doesn't bode well for the charged offense, and people seem to be wondering why they went with murder 1 instead of a lesser charge.

I am just an idiot though so don't listen to me.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Shammypants posted:

Maybe Americans are too dumb for politics?

I fear it's worse actually, politics has become too dumb for Americans. Most of them don't pay attention to it at all.

Epic High Five posted:

As a patriot I will never punish someone for posting "wanker"

I mean, probably, unless doing so would be funny

wanker

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

This Rittenhouse judge is just a perfect encapsulation of the justice system

https://twitter.com/mtarm/status/1458825873994440709

Please clap for the defense witness while I yell at the prosecution.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 11, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Doesn't look like the passage of BIF a week ago has helped Biden's approval ratings, according to the 538 poll tracker. Maybe the signing ceremony on Monday will change things!

I doubt much will at this point. 2022 is going to be worse than 2010.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

It doesn't help that voters want things but get mad when you spend the money

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1459920694532358144

And there's not much the executive can do about short term inflation, so we get to watch a slow motion train wreck between now and next November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

There's a huge difference between cleaning up an existing pandemic and preventing it.