Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

CommieGIR posted:

Welcome to November in the US, its Turkey Month.
Oh, the reconciliation bill is finally getting a vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Partly leaded gas yeah, but I also want to know what the gently caress it is about the South, where freeways are lined with bright blue LED billboards saying Biden is a pedophile who stole the vote and gave Afghanistan away to Soros. In that environment you have to go out of your actual way to NOT be taught from every conceivable angle that the only good and right way to think is the Nazi way.
You answered your own question; the whole region assaults everyone who lives there with propaganda, socializing most of them towards being a Klansman and making those that resist uncomfortable enough to move. It’s a self-perpetuating engine of misery and ressentiment.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

papa horny michael posted:

Coinciding with views that the south is all klansmen, and people too stupid to move.
Hey, here’s an idea: instead of starting this bad faith trolling on page three of the new thread, maybe don’t?

Not every mention of the dominant politics of the region needs some shitposter to stroll in with “there are poor people stuck there too, checkmate guess Dems are the real racists :smug:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Do you think that was actually a good post? Do you think that really was a positive contribution to this thread?

Try again without cutting out half my post, like every CSPAM poster does every time for mysterious reasons

AmiYumi posted:

You answered your own question; the whole region assaults everyone who lives there with propaganda, socializing most of them towards being a Klansman and making those that resist uncomfortable enough to move. It’s a self-perpetuating engine of misery and ressentiment.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Racism isn't a regional thing and people didn't start being racist because of propaganda.

On the other hand, the original question was why a bunch of the country thinks Democrats are a threat to democracy, clearly referencing the 2020 election, and the answer to that IS social media/cable news echochambers.
Racism is taught, and echo chambers are propaganda - I don’t think I understand the distinction you’re trying to cleave, here.

Killer robot posted:

It's also important to recognize that while the population of the south is disproportionately likely to be programmed as virulently racist, and while the population of the south is disproportionately likely to suffer from poverty, poor health, disfranchisement, and other forms of misery, the two don't actually describe exactly the same people. It's another replay of explaining school shootings as bulled kids pushing back when they're usually middle-class white boys that don't get singled out much.
Yes, this is accurate, and an observation that can spark discussion. It should honestly go without saying at this point that right-wing politics are adept at creating misery, then attempting to redirect that misery towards their preferred targets - a policy which has been in place in the South since before the Civil War, when plantation owners used racism to convince poor white labor to die for their right to keep destroying the local economy with slaves, lining their own pockets and keeping said poor laborers from examining class divides too closely.

“Criticizing Southern politics, looks like Dems hate poor people” is not - it’s old, stale, and frankly I thought we’d moved on to “you mentioned antivaxxers, that must mean you hate old black people” as the nonsequitur du jour?

Jaxyon posted:

Is it every CSPAM poster? Every time?

Or is this lazy subforum clique posting because you can't just reply like a normal person?

Also does a CSPAM poster only post there or is because they posted there once or some of the time or what?

Don't do this poo poo.
Fair enough, I was being hyperbolic. The pattern is there, though - a post gets selectively quoted in CSPAM, then an influx of “new” posters rush in to shitpost here. Not just talking myself - again, it’s an easy to recognize pattern.

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 1, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know that Twitter requires hot takes and hyperbolic statements, less than 1% of Americans actually use it regularly, etc. etc.

But, I still find it weird that there is apparently a contingent of people - who are writers for the NYT, Politico, and Washington Post no less - that think the Sunshine Protection Act would usher in a nightmare world of horror.
Changing clocks is legitimately a nightmare in terms of broad-scale medical effects on the country* and the sooner it is gone, the better.

I am unsurprised that the least useful people in the country want to keep it.

*quick summary, it wreaks havoc on people with regular medication schedules especially the elderly (who can have severe problems from a dose being an hour early/late); it fucks up traffic and shipping by messing with everyone on the road’s circadian rhythms; it correlates with an increase in domestic violence as people are an hour less of sleep more irritable; all that, and more, so that…??????
WHO BENEFITS FROM KEEPING THIS DUMB poo poo

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

lil poopendorfer posted:

Specifically which medications or conditions? A scheduled medicine administered in a medical setting is considered on time if given within one hour before or after the ordered time, so I'd love to know more
I don’t remember the specific meds from last time I studied this, but pain management immediately springs to mind - an hour of unmanaged pain becomes a bigger problem than just giving them their dose on time, and often escalates to a need for further intervention. Don’t gently caress with medication schedules for no reason.

[Edit:] gently caress is it perfectly American that an issue is “every medical professional agrees this is an unmitigated disaster” vs “but little Brayhdeen will have to wait for the bus when it’s a little darker” and I know without a doubt which side will win

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 5, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Hey so why did we rename this the “US Current Events” thread if the mods and IKs aren’t going to do anything about days and days of circular slapfights about primarychat and electoralism?

Eric Cantonese posted:

Is there a moderate (heh) chance that the CBO score also helps preempt any stupidity that Manchin and Sinema (and anyone silently encouraging them) want to engage in?
There is literally nothing in the world that can keep Joe “We need work requirements for FMLA benefits” Manchin from saying things so stupid they’d prompt a dementia test if he were poor.

Well. There is one thing.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

PPP loans for small businesses
“Small” “businesses”, yes.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

the_steve posted:

Friendly reminder to please argue with the posters and not the thread.
That was an obvious reply to the same post that had been quoted directly above it, not sure how that doesn’t count as a poster but if you wanna aggressively non-person some folks itt I have a few suggestions

[efb because I had to make a quip, as usual]

Sarcastr0 posted:

This assumes SA posters are in any way like the larger body of voters generally.
Christ, I hope not

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 7, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

In all the very stupid arguing past each other, how does “a failed coup shows Republicans aren’t Nazis” square with Hitler’s attempted coup…failing, with him ending up in jail before trying again and succeeding? Legitimately asking, because the past few pages were dumb enough I’m not sure anyone involved knew that fact.

There's a focus group going of women who voted Northam -> Biden -> Youngkin in Virginia.

Run by Georgetown Law and a political opinion data group.

Group is disproportionately white and suburban/rural.
So this group of suburban whites expresses politically-incoherent views and voted “embarrassed by the Republican in office, came home to roost at the first opportunity”, you say? Gosh, never seen that before.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, this is certainly a wake-up call. Voters straight-up saying that they think Dems have better policy, but that they voted GOP anyway because they think the Dems are too anti-racist.
This has been the conclusions of every big poll of views in the US for my entire life, with the biggest changes being the effort required to break through RWM messaging increasing over time. The US loves leftist policy, and votes for right-wing politicians that are outspokenly against it.

Wanna get depressed, go match referendums and who that state elected since the internet started making it easy to see politics outside your own state, it’s an endless clusterfuck of it.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

This was the description in the article:

Basically, it warns you if you have your eyes closed for extended periods. Then, it lets you know if you keep doing it. Finally, it automatically turns your hazards and pulls you into the shoulder if you still have your eyes closed/signs of unconsciousness.

GM, BMW, and Nissan have some versions of this already available. So, you could probably look at what they have and assume it will be pretty close to that.
I’m sure these systems, if implemented*, won’t be as notoriously buggy as current systems that disable your car until you pay for expensive repairs only a single company can do. Nor will the cost of this nanny-state poo poo get passed right onto the consumer, with a hefty upcharge because they can, would the auto industry ever do such a thing??

Surely people stuck on the side of the road with cars that just glitched out and disabled themselves will be grateful to the Dems, pledging to vote for the party as they shell out hundreds of dollars to the one company with a monopoly on parts.

*they won’t be

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Ershalim posted:

Any particular reason why his professed innocence matters to you so much?
Because he thinks it will upset people in this thread, stop being so easily baited.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

An Air Force sergeant posted his suicide note to Instagram, went to the Lincoln Memorial, and shot himself in the head on the steps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWCMUQdJMRN/

https://twitter.com/leslifoster/status/1459003433269276690
This seems like it’s only getting traction because of the Air Force connection, which is just so shittily on-brand for America. “Mental health, blah blah who gives a gently caress, try not being gay or some poo poo w/e. ONE OF ARE TROOPZ DID IT BECAUSE OF A GIRL? We need a National discussion on this immediately, finally a reason to care!!”

Mellow Seas posted:

Hey, although you do not have a point of view that I agree with, or that really anybody here agrees with, I appreciate you taking the time to come here and discuss this. Sometimes people confuse "not a D&D poster who is familiar with the range of acceptable opinions" with "a troll".
I, too, am completely incapable of remembering names or checking rap sheets. Every post is a brand new mystery and so are faces, you’re not my granddaughter where am i

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Every day I’m more and more surprised that there’s not even more whole-scale massacre of leftists or civil rights advocates in the street considering the alignment of the country’s justice system and media apparatuses to rehabilitate and acquit right wing murderers.
Why bother putting in the effort yourself when the copsSUICIDE NOTHING TO SEE HERE will shoot them several times in the mouth and lock them in an on-fire parked car for you?

[Edit:]

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Mental Health care for veterans is loving awful in this country, and the awfulness is down to a science. The VA is underfunded, understaffed and essentially pressured to deal with patients quickly as opposed to treating them. A pretty common thing is to recommend medication or narrow treatments that you know the veteran will hate and stop taking, at which point you can write them off as non-compliant and are covered even if the veterans blows their brains out on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial..

Where did you get the idea that anyone gives a poo poo about vets in this country?
I don’t have that idea, my post was about how little the media cares about the mental health aspect in the first place. I am well aware of how the USA feels about soldiers/veterans who aren’t good props.

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 12, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

It's also a shame that their attacks on her have worked so well; her overall favorability is in the toilet, with high name recognition, and it seems ridiculous in retrospect that we ever thought of her as someone who could get involved in Presidential politics, because her brand is pretty well tarnished. The attacks from the right couldn't be countered with how many in her own party were unwilling to defend her, or attacking her themselves.
A healthy political party could have easily cultivated her as a symbol of the next generation, outreach to the younger generations to get them to vote, and after a few years a once-in-a-lifetime landslide presidential victory.

The US doesn’t have any healthy political parties.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I just had an actual flashback to all the times Pissbaby would rant about how someone was loyal and useful and vital, immediately before news dropped and suddenly they were an intern who never met him in person

Stop giving me hope Copmala is about to go away

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Can we not bring up people's user history when debating? Thanks. We all have skeletons in our rap sheet closet.
I’ve asked this before to silence and probations, but when did basic research and pattern recognition become such a no-no in D&D? Rap sheets and post histories are useful indicators of who is trolling a thread for the umpteenth time and about to get another sixer vs who is worth responding to seriously.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

the_steve posted:

Pretty sure the main idea is to "keep it to your loving self" in those instances.

If you look at someone's Rap Sheet/Post History and conclude that there's a history of trolling or bad faith posting or whatever, then just don't loving engage. Put them on ignore, report their post, scroll down to the next person you want to argue with and go about your day.

The problem is that people are only dragging rap sheets into it so that they can "win" the argument and using prior probes as a thought-killer to avoid engaging with any actual points their perceived posting enemy has brought up.
Thanks for responding, this clears quite a few things up.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Highly recommend just putting the 5 worst people in the thread on ignore. idc who you even consider the 5 worst, that's up to you, but it will improve your experience here immensely
Bu-

papa horny michael posted:

But mods can't be put on ignore? Unless are people using a browser extension somehow?
BEATEN AGAIN ;)

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 16, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

The white majority in the country is not economically anxious dullards who have been bamboozled by the southern strategy into becoming racists.

They were always racists. The politicians are appealing to sentiment that was already there.

Does white supremacy hurt whites? Of course it does. It just hurts them less than it does everyone else.
Would everybody be better off without it? Yes again, we all would, even whites.

They are white supremacisists, they have not been tricked into becoming white supremacists by political elites. The problem is much deeper than that.
“They were tricked into White Supremacy” is in itself a reflection of this demon cracker nation; making the argument is admitting you don’t think whites in this country could be awful on their own, they had to be hornswaggled into it, aww shucks they didn’t mean to do a bad.

It’s infantilism, “Boys Will Be Boys”-ing an entire population out of having free will. :rolleyes:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Devor posted:

I'm not sure what the correct messaging could have or would have been in Virginia
“CRT is not being taught at any undergraduate school in America, which shows how little my opponent cares about your children. I plan to support them by…”

It’s that simple a pivot, but it’d involve a politician 1) caring enough to learn a fact, and 2) having a plan to pivot to.

So, never going to happen.

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 17, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

The white majority in the country is not economically anxious dullards who have been bamboozled by the southern strategy into becoming racists.

They were always racists. The politicians are appealing to sentiment that was already there.

Does white supremacy hurt whites? Of course it does. It just hurts them less than it does everyone else.
Would everybody be better off without it? Yes again, we all would, even whites.

They are white supremacisists, they have not been tricked into becoming white supremacists by political elites. The problem is much deeper than that.
Jaxyon, help me out here: did I misread your post as “stop excusing and infantilizing White Supremacists”, or is the rest of the thread parsing it correctly (if assholicly)?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Hey mods, be honest - which of you is using this one as a troll account?

Peter Daou Zen posted:

There was no "insurrection". There was no vast "white supremacist" conspiracy to overthrow the US Government. Some bored people milled about the Senate chambers; others broke some windows. A man who wandered around in a weird costume and shouted with his friends shouldn't be facing decades in prison.

Some "coup" when a bunch of guys pissed off that Trump didn't win smashed windows, stole a lectern from Pelosi, vandalized her office and some other minor stuff. These people should not be facing years in prison for embarrassing Democrats. I didn't know that was a federal crime now.

1/6 was not the end of the world.
(P.S. source your quotes, because posters itt can’t stop themselves from responding in earnest)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Cranappleberry posted:

The democrats could have started the 1/6 investigation ASAP, focusing on the leadership/organizers and politicians involved, waiting only to go after trump admin officials after Biden took power so there would be no legal issues with enforcing subpoenas.

Same with senate once the 2 senators from Georgia were seated. At that point, when 1/6 was still fresh in the minds of senators and the public, it may have had a chance to actually happen. Instead, they waited.
You mean the period where they just let McConnell keep control of the Senate and didn’t bother seating anyone on committees, because :decorum:

How much time did they waste on that, again?

Willa Rogers posted:

I've enjoyed your posts itt & encourage you to post more, not less!

I think there've been times when the allowable discourse here was a fairly narrow band, and that in turn causes a degree of distress to those who were happy with those conditions now that it's evolved to encompass a broader spectrum of views & beliefs.

The mods & admins have done a good job of listening to our feedback, and building a better forum upon it. Please reconsider staying; I promise you we'll have your back.
Willa, you keep giving away the game by posting like this. It’s embarrassing.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Cow Bell posted:

Was there ever any indication that Pence knew, cared, or participated in any of the planning going around January 6th?
Eyes, ears, basic pattern recognition, take your pick. Something Awful isn’t a court of law, thank gently caress.

Cow Bell posted:

If the people on the ground has been successful in accomplishing (their incredibly ill defined) goals, would Pence have stepped in and complied as needed? If so, why isn't he being seriously charged and investigated for it?
“The US’s multitrack ‘justice’ system constantly lets the rich and powerful get away with crimes”, I agree, before posting about how a powerful person not being charged proves what happened wasn’t a crime.

(Sorry to pick on you specifically, but there’s been days of this specific flavor of post over ‘n over)

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Mods please turn Even Slower Mode on ITT; maybe one a day, or something?

[Edit: probe for edits, too]

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Fancy Pelosi was a less obvious troll than this, and they got called out on their first page.

Y’all, stop it.

At least reply to the trolls that can generate a discussion for the lurkers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Hey thread, what have y’all been up to over the weeke-:stonk:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yes it's blended so heavily into pop. It's just more appealing to the "libs" and by this I mean the Republican kids that are just as lib as real libs. They need club music that's also :heritage: in a way.
So has “lib” finally completed its transition into meaning “person I don’t like”? I’ve never been the clearest on the dividing lines, but that tracks with how it felt the whole time.

CommieGIR posted:

There's also the fact that we've been out of the business of building nuclear plants for nearly 20 years. This problem is happening at Votgle: We're having to re-learn how we do this as engineering plans meet the real world of construction.

Versus the Russians who have made the VVER series of reactors practically into an assembly line and can repeat the construction over and over with ease.
Add this to how nuclear plants take so much longer to get up and running in the first place, and you have a perfect recipe for one of the several changes in administration to disrupt the whole process and ruin everything. Thanks, America!

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Nah, I just mean that new country music is appealing to the conservative kids who are really just liberals at heart with a Trump banner or flag. They want to party smoke flavored juul pods and chill, but they don't always want rap music to be an outlet of expression. Thus country pop.
Bet; there’s plenty of those kids who are party-line Rs because Dad told them so and that’s all the thought they’ve ever put into politics.

Taylor Swift made the country/pop line impossible to distinguish, not that it was all that strong for the prior 40 years.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

This is a man who walked back or failed to uphold on nearly every negotiation he ever made in his life.
He couldn’t even negotiate an umbrella through a doorway.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

selec posted:

Buttigieg needs to get on stage and disavow Lis Smith today if not sooner. We’ve needed a Sister Souljah moment for out of control white ladies for years and if he doesn’t take this opportunity he’ll never be president.
I have good news for you about at least half of this sentence.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Old James posted:

And just another rule the Democrats could change with a simple majority vote, but won't for reasons.
Don’t even need that, Senate Rs have declared “unanimous consent” over vocal objections before and will do so again when they’re back in control next year*.

*I know, I know, implying they ever lost control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

It amazes me how well Republican millionares can play the "elite" card and not be called out.
When has calling out Republicans’ hypocrisy ever worked? They don’t care.